Dick's Sporting Goods bans some sales of guns...

Posted 674 day(s) ago 1850 Views 73 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

"Modern sporting rifles"

Lulz

His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III

Got an AR-15 already on order with LAPRAAC...

My father and brothers have them...I might as well before they are no longer available except to the ****roaches in gangs...

I just banned my family from shopping at Dicks sporting goods....

Originally Posted by SoonerArtillery View Post
    I just banned my family from shopping at Dicks sporting goods....
    Harrumph! That'll show em!!

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    Harrumph! That'll show em!!
    I know how he feels though, it would be sort of like me if Walgreen's suddenly quit selling Durex XXL condoms.

in related news...dick's announced they are changing their name to "dickless" sporting goods
    5 users like 87sooner's post: cosmoxl, Fahooglegods, Rowdyroady, Sooner Showtime, soonerintn

Re: Dick's Sporting Goods bans some sales of guns...

Mods, rename this thread to: The thread where conservatives get mad at the free market.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    6 users like OnlyOneOklahoma's post: boomersooner53, IndySooner, oSuJeff97, OUMallen, the_Mont, Yatahaze

Regardless of this, I wasn’t impressed with Dick's Sporting Goods and won’t go back anytime soon. (Free market)
    I would much rather have a Cabela’s in our area.
    3 users like OU48A's post: Bk2X, bushmaster06, SoonerArtillery

Much like the owner of Chic Fil e can spend his money on whatever causes he wants, Dick's can choose to sell or not sell whatever items they want.

Someone, somewhere, is going cry about it.
    2 users like Wailer's post: jOUhn, Yatahaze

Dick's should rename its self ****'s

Originally Posted by SoCaliSooner View Post
    Got an AR-15 already on order with LAPRAAC...

My father and brothers have them...I might as well before they are no longer available except to the ****roaches in gangs...
    I bought one today at Academy.

CNN is saying that most retail stores in the US including Walmart have pulled them from sale...!!!

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    Regardless of this, I wasn’t impressed with Dick's Sporting Goods and won’t go back anytime soon. (Free market)
    I would much rather have a Cabela’s in our area.
    We have a fairly new Cabela's and a brand new Academy here in town....I'm sure I can get every thing I need at those two stores...
    The following users like this post: soonerintn

Originally Posted by The Baconator® View Post
    CNN is saying that most retail stores in the US including Walmart have pulled them from sale...!!!
    Boycott...everybody!!!!!

Originally Posted by SoonerArtillery View Post
    We have a fairly new Cabela's and a brand new Academy here in town....I'm sure I can get every thing I need at those two stores...

Removed from sale...!!!

Removed from sale...!!!
    ?

I was in Academy last night. Their ARs are still for sale. I considered buying the Sig 7.62 version, but was after something else.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    ?

I was in Academy last night. Their ARs are still for sale. I considered buying the Sig 7.62 version, but was after something else.

No longer available on their website...!!!

Meh, whatever, hundreds of other retail locations to buy guns...

ARs are like computers, more fun to build from scratch.
    The following users like this post: Fahooglegods

Gun show. No pesky paperwork hassles.
    The following users like this post: RenegadeSooner

No longer available on their website...!!!
    Ah. You can still buy them in the stores.

All of this is short-term reactions by these retailers. I would be highly surprised if any of these chains quit selling them permanently. The American attention span is too short for this tragedy to have any lasting implications. Lee Greenwood playing in my mind......

Last edited by soonerintn; July 20th, 2013 at 01:07 AM.

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    Mods, rename this thread to: The thread where conservatives get mad at the free market.

Funny, Dicks can choose to stop selling them and people can choose to stop shopping there. Don't see how that is getting mad at the free market.

This is a typical overreaction spurred bybthe liberal media... They need to ban shitty parents who don't raise their children to be responsible or like in this case get their kids the help they need. Of course then 75% of people would be banned from reproducing here in the US... Homicide by firearm has dropped nearly 50% in the last 20 years.
    I hate being ostracized for having firearms, which was encouraged by the founding fathers and hence is a protected right by the Constitution, but if you want to smoke weed or have 6 kids with 5 different men that is now socially acceptable..
    Rome turned in to a cesspool before it collapsed.... I see a lot of similarities.

Buying an AR at Dicks is pretty stupid anyway.
    The following users like this post: Tug Medick

Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    Really, buying a semi auto rifle is not ideal either...they lack the accuracy of their bolt action brethren.

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Really, buying a semi auto rifle is not ideal either...they lack the accuracy of their bolt action brethren.
    The Heckler and Koch MSG-90 and the Dragunov sniper rifle say otherwise.
    The following users like this post: SoonerArtillery

So where's an acceptable place to buy an AR then? Even Walmart sells Colt 6920s.

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    So where's an acceptable place to buy an AR then? Even Walmart sells Colt 6920s.
    Just saying 1) like someone else said, most people I know build their ARs...like I'm pretty sure you do. 2) There are cheaper places to buy guns with better service.

Just saying 1) like someone else said, most people I know build their ARs...like I'm pretty sure you do. 2) There are cheaper places to buy guns with better service.
    I don't own an AR. I have an AK.

I don't own an AR. I have an AK.
    Oh whatever. AR, AK. what's the difference. Big scary gun that could kill a shit ton of living things in short order.

The Heckler and Koch MSG-90 and the Dragunov sniper rifle say otherwise.
    The dragunov nor the MSG90 are as accurate as a cz-527 or a few other bolt actions.

If we're talking .223 then there are marlins and a few domestic guns that outperform any AR.

The dragunov nor the MSG90 are as accurate as a cz-527 or a few other bolt actions.

If we're talking .223 then there are marlins and a few domestic guns that outperform any AR.
    ARs aren't really designed for precision. I'll bet the Dragunov and MSG-90 are way more accurate past 400 meters when compared to the CZ-527.

Oh whatever. AR, AK. what's the difference. Big scary gun that could kill a shit ton of living things in short order.
    Don't be scared.

ARs aren't really designed for precision. I'll bet the Dragunov and MSG-90 are way more accurate past 400 meters when compared to the CZ-527.
    My point exactly.

What is an AR designed for?

It's not for hunting, unless you are hunting packs of wild cats or some other instance in which moderately accurate relatively quick firing is needed. It's woeful compared to a handgun or shotgun for defense. its not full auto, so it has no real military use. Not a good choice for target practice for a couple of reasons; most ranges limit rounds fired per second, and even if you have your own place to practice, what are you practicing for when its uses are outweighed by other firearms in nearly every situation.

If you are going to just plink bottles with it, a 10-22 is way cheaper both at the time of purchase and exponentially for ammo.

I was never planning on buying an AR ever, but this shit that's happening is making me want to get one soon.

Re: Dick's Sporting Goods bans some sales of guns...

My point exactly.

It's not for hunting, unless you are hunting packs of wild cats or some other instance in which moderately accurate relatively quick firing is needed. It's woeful compared to a handgun or shotgun for defense. its not full auto, so it has no real military use. Not a good choice for target practice for a couple of reasons; most ranges limit rounds fired per second, and even if you have your own place to practice, what are you practicing for when its uses are outweighed by other firearms in nearly every situation.

If you are going to just plink bottles with it, a 10-22 is way cheaper both at the time of purchase and exponentially for ammo.
    There are packs of wild cats all over Florida so I will keep mine handy.

The following users like this post: SpankyNek

Any news on the drone program being scaled down in honor of the victims? Drones have killed a bunch of kids. Brown ones, I give you that.

Honestly, while I think its a nice gesture I don't think it makes much of a difference. Like everyone has said numerous times there are lots of guns out there that can do the same thing. I think there are other measures that could be taken by the government that would actually work... we'll see if they actually do anything other than something like this.

My point exactly.

Rifles are better than handguns when it comes to self defense. You do know that you can buy ARs in multiple calibers, right? Like .308?

Removed from sale...!!!
    I just bought one in an Academy yesterday . . . .

My point exactly.

Not for hunting? Pfffft. Whatever. Varmint and hog hunting immediately come to mind . . . sheesh.
    The following users like this post: SoonerArtillery

On a related note, Cheaper Than Dirt has decided to stop online sales for the time being to "review policies internally" or something like that.

Edit: Now with link!

http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/G...184055721.html

Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    Not for hunting? Pfffft. Whatever. Varmint and hog hunting immediately come to mind . . . sheesh.
    Yes, you CAN use an AR for varmint hunting, but it is not any more effective than a bolt action rifle. Same with Hog hunting. It's like people are going to go out and hunt with one just for spite.

Yes, you CAN use an AR for varmint hunting, but it is not any more effective than a bolt action rifle. Same with Hog hunting. It's like people are going to go out and hunt with one just for spite.
    It's not more effective when shooting at a group of 8 pigs to have a semi-automatic???

Originally Posted by hOUrricane View Post
    It's not more effective when shooting at a group of 8 pigs to have a semi-automatic???
    It would largely depend upon ones goal in hunting these pigs. If you are trying to bag all of them, then a semiauto could prove useful. Remember, however, that this is a rare occurrence most are going to want to bag the largest boar, or eliminate the sow.

It would also depend upon how close one is to the game. If directly overhead in a tree, a large caliber revolver is probably a better choice, as a shorter barrel means quicker target acquisition.

It appears we may have found a niche for the AK...taking large groups of nuisance game at moderate distance.

Seems a pretty rare occurrence, especially when considering the large amount of ARs out there.

People can own what they want to own...just surprising so many resort to a tool not ideal.