Sherri Coale calling out fans on T Rowe's show today

Posted 706 day(s) ago 2370 Views 28 Replies

She was a little fired up. She said she didn't wanna pass the buck and blame the crowd but said she would've liked more support in their loss to Vandy.

She said that they'd done a lot for the university and for the community and didn't understand why they didn't get support from the home crowd to make the LNC a home court advantage. She said she understands that everyone wants a winner and when you're ranked high and winning then the crowds show up and our good. She was unhappy with the crowd, the team, the effort, just about everything.

Anyone else hear it?

Sherri must have forgot that she coaches women's basketball.

I watched the game and sorta' missed the crowd making all those turnovers and missing all those shots .

Think of how Kruger feels.... I know the women's program has been more consistent the last decade, but I think the women still draw more than the men.

Coale never capitalized on having the Paris twins by winning a national championship or improving the roster. I understand injuries have taken a toll, but Coale has been a bit of a disappointment on the recruiting trail the past few years.

I love Sherri but she is barking up the wrong tree. Support for womens hoops is larger than mens hoops
    2 users like usaosooner's post: Lost Chickasaw, OUMallen

Originally Posted by RenegadeSooner View Post
    Think of how Kruger feels.... I know the women's program has been more consistent the last decade, but I think the women still draw more than the men.

Coale never capitalized on having the Paris twins by winning a national championship or improving the roster. I understand injuries have taken a toll, but Coale has been a bit of a disappointment on the recruiting trail the past few years.
    I just wonder what would have happened had the Twins gone to Stanford, UConn, Tenn, Baylor, ND, etc. I also wonder had they gone to a school that was on the verge of breaking out could that coach have taken advantage of the situation. Would one of these schools have made them get in shape? Many schools sign players like them and then go sign some more players like them. Sherri seems to be satisfied with someone like that and then just goes with what she has - although amanda Thompson was top rated also.

Sherri recruits the same type players year after year. Much like herself, small school, works hard, not real athletic, wants to improve. She also gets girls who are projects and try's to develop them into decent players. She usually fails at this and they are just fair players and just take up roster space. Remember that Sherri did not recruit the twins, they called her and ask to visit then signed with OU. If they had not come, Sherri would not have won those Big 12 titles and would probably be gone by now. If and it's a BIG if OU wants to have a national program they need a coach that will recruit nationally and sign some of the top 40 players. Nice job Sherri, but you need to move on.
    The following users like this post: Julz

Originally Posted by OKUman View Post
    . Nice job Sherri, but you need to move on.
    This is a really dumb statement. You actually think we should get rid of Sherri Coale?
    2 users like pbc2003's post: oorah_okie, OUCarlton

Sherri has built a nice program considering it's humble (re)beginnings in the 90's. It's amazing to me she doesn't have all 15 ships filled yearly. I know its common for teams to not use the 15, but Sherri ought to know by now that her program needs as many bodies as possible given the history. Plus, its not like its costing the university anything as all of the schollies are endowed. Is women's basketball like some other women's sports where girls commit their sophomore and junior years of HS? It just seems we should be able to backfill a little better with late bloomers or JUCO's.

The rest of the season will be interesting......

Rk. School G Attendance Average
    1. Tennessee 17 214,187 12,599
    2. Louisville 15 162,892 10,859
    3. Connecticut 22 215,328 9,788
    4. Iowa St. 17 159,293 9,370
    5. Notre Dame 17 145,409 8,553
    6. Baylor 21 166,593 7,933
    7. New Mexico 15 115,152 7,677
    8. Purdue 17 129,671 7,628
    9. Michigan St. 16 118,214 7,388
    10. Texas Tech 17 119,731 7,043
    11. Kentucky 15 95,453 6,364
    12. Texas A&M 14 85,457 6,104
    13. Iowa 14 81,528 5,823
    14. Oklahoma 17 93,322 5,490
    15. Duke 17 88,667 5,216
    16. Maryland 17 87,745 5,161
    17. Stanford 17 82,263 4,839
    18. Texas 15 70,651 4,710
    19. Wisconsin 15 69,956 4,664
    20. Vanderbilt 15 68,828 4,589
    21. Nebraska 16 69,324 4,333
    22. Penn St. 18 77,483 4,305
    23. Indiana St. 15 62,272 4,151
    24. Kansas St. 15 61,013 4,068
    25. Gonzaga 16 64,966 4,060
    26. Ohio St. 18 69,285 3,849
    27. Murray St. 14 52,617 3,758
    28. Wyoming 18 67,631 3,757
    29. Middle Tenn. 13 46,651 3,589
    30. Minnesota 17 60,187 3,540

Losing Whit is going to hurt them even more.... If she thinks the crowd was bad for Vandy, what will she say when there's more orange in the LNC for Pokey St?

Originally Posted by Lost Chickasaw View Post
    Losing Whit is going to hurt them even more.... If she thinks the crowd was bad for Vandy, what will she say when there's more orange in the LNC for Pokey St?
    Ouch! No doubt that would be a reality check for her. She has been living off of previous glory and Whitney has certainly sustained fan interest the past few years. I don't see another player on the team that has shown the be ability to be a crowd draw for this season. Manning looked poise to assume the role, but that will now have to be delayed.

SoonerBounce Guest

Sherri is beginning to wear on me.

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    I know a few people who work in Sooner athletics related departments, and I have never heard a single good word about Mrs. Coale. The word "****" is often thrown around when describing her.

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    I love Sherri but she is barking up the wrong tree. Support for womens hoops is larger than mens hoops
    This. Sherri's program enjoys a higher status at OU than most every other school in the country not named UConn, Stanford, Tenn, Duke and perhaps a few others.

Originally Posted by CrimsonEagle View Post
    I know a few people who work in Sooner athletics related departments, and I have never heard a single good word about Mrs. Coale. The word "****" is often thrown around when describing her.
    Oh good freaking gosh. Sherri is a blessing for our university, an excellent ambassador to the community, and apparently a pretty solid recruiter and a pretty solid coach. What more can we ask for?? The second she leaves, OU women's basketball will be once-again relegated to the level of OU tennis.

I hate our fans.
    2 users like OUMallen's post: oorah_okie, pbc2003

Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    Oh good freaking gosh. Sherri is a blessing for our university, an excellent ambassador to the community, and apparently a pretty solid recruiter and a pretty solid coach. What more can we ask for?? The second she leaves, OU women's basketball will be once-again relegated to the level of OU tennis.

I hate our fans.
    We have a tennis team?

id hit it
    The following users like this post: KCRuf/Nek

Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
    We have a tennis team?
    Exactly. Sherri has gotten us national TV time. She's a damned gem.

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    I'd like to wear on her.
    The following users like this post: sooner59

At least she vented on KREF. Only 6 people will get upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3 users like PokeJ's post: brian, KCRuf/Nek, Lost Chickasaw

she has had great success over those years. when you look at it other than uconn tenn stanford not many have had the same win totals. womens basketball is very very good on the top then the rest just scramble in the pecking order

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Wrong. Support for the women's program is not greater than that for the men's program. I have been a season ticketholder to both the men and the women for decades and only during the Courtney years and a couple years after Courtney did the women approached having as many butts in the seats on average as did the men. This year the men are selling about 70% more tickets than the women (9,064 on average for the men and 5,265 for the women). Actual turnstile attendance in addition to sold attendance is reported only by the men this year unlike last year when it was reported for both teams.

Last year both the men and the women reported sold attendance and estimated (turnstile) attendance. That is the only year that the women have elected to report actual attendance to games. Based on the home conference season for both teams the women did have a higher percentage of sold seats attend the games 82% vs 73% but the men sold 22% more seats (8,985 vs 7,373) and had about 6% better attendance (6,383 vs 6,037).

The above data was taken directly from the final statistics box score for each game.
    The following users like this post: KCRuf/Nek

SoonerBounce Guest
    Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
    Wrong. Support for the women's program is not greater than that for the men's program. I have been a season ticketholder to both the men and the women for decades and only during the Courtney years and a couple years after Courtney did the women approached having as many butts in the seats on average as did the men. This year the men are selling about 70% more tickets than the women (9,064 on average for the men and 5,265 for the women). Actual turnstile attendance in addition to sold attendance is reported only by the men this year unlike last year when it was reported for both teams.

Last year both the men and the women reported sold attendance and estimated (turnstile) attendance. That is the only year that the women have elected to report actual attendance to games. Based on the home conference season for both teams the women did have a higher percentage of sold seats attend the games 82% vs 73% but the men sold 22% more seats (8,985 vs 7,373) and had about 6% better attendance (6,383 vs 6,037).

The above data was taken directly from the final statistics box score for each game.
    we are talking about actual support as in butts in seats. Every women game I watch looks like they have more than the average mens game

Re: Sherri Coale calling out fans on T Rowe's show today

Wear tighter sweaters and I'll be there

Went to the game last night. I thought there was a pretty good number of people there for a women's game the evening after Bedlam was also played in Norman. Moreover, the crowd really got into it at the right times.

Of course not. pbc

Originally Posted by OKUman View Post
    Sherri recruits the same type players year after year. Much like herself, small school, works hard, not real athletic, wants to improve. She also gets girls who are projects and try's to develop them into decent players. She usually fails at this and they are just fair players and just take up roster space. Remember that Sherri did not recruit the twins, they called her and ask to visit then signed with OU. If they had not come, Sherri would not have won those Big 12 titles and would probably be gone by now. If and it's a BIG if OU wants to have a national program they need a coach that will recruit nationally and sign some of the top 40 players. Nice job Sherri, but you need to move on.
    May possibly be the most delusional, delivery of Mis-Information and quite honestly ridiculous post I have ever read on a sports internet site in the history of me reading sports internet sites!