The Bears Bring "College Standout" Cory Brandon up from Practice Squad

The Chicago Bears elevated offensive tackle Cory Brandon from the practice squad to the 53-man roster on Monday, in addition to placing defensive tackle Matt Toeaina on the injured reserve.

An undrafted free agent, who came into the NFL with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2011, Brandon signed with the Bears in June and spent the entire preseason with the club before it waived him Aug. 31 during the final roster reduction.

The Bears brought back Brandon to the practice squad on Sept. 1, terminated his contract again on Sept. 10, and then signed him back to the practice squad on Oct. 17.

A college standout at Oklahoma, Brandon caught the staff's attention during training camp, and the Bears used him extensively in the preseason because it wanted to take a long look at the 6-7, 324-pound offensive tackle.

Toeaina, meanwhile, played in three games this season, and started in two. But various injuries slowed the veteran all season. Toeaina's latest setback (knee) could require an arthroscopic procedure, according to an NFL source, which said the defensive tackle will undergo an MRI on Tuesday.

Toeaina started in 24 games for the Bears over six seasons, contributing 66 tackles, two sacks and a fumble recovery.

Great to hear!

All I remember him for were false starts, so this is great news.

I am happy he's playing, I remember thinking, he seems like great size for tackle, maybe he is the better pro than college player?

We have a lot of linemen on pro rosters---------so it looks like we could recruit a few more.

OU can put a back up Tackle into the NFL and start for the Bears
    Who was starting ahead of him in 2009? He graded out great on some games

Saw action all 13 games while starting seven ... started season opener against BYU at right tackle ... returned to starting lineup against Kansas and started at right tackle for five straight games ... started at left tackle for the regular season finale against Oklahoma State in place of an injured Trent Williams and again in the Sun Bowl ... finished the season with 689 snaps and 37 knockdowns ... played a season-high 86 snaps at Nebraska ... scored his high grade of the season, 77%, against Tulsa ... had a 94% passing grade against Kansas State and 90% against Tulsa.

Did Donald Stephenson take over at RT for Brandon?

Looks like 3 OU tackles from 2009, starting Sunday

Back-up tackles and back-up Tight ends (Chris Chester) can earn an NFL paycheck as an O-lineman.

Why does it feel like OL recruiting is becoming harder for us?

324 lbs, came to OU 271

Originally Posted by BarrydKing View Post
    Back-up tackles and back-up Tight ends (Chris Chester) can earn an NFL paycheck as an O-lineman.

yup before J Brown hurt his hip? we were having 3 sooners protect RG3

chester started at G and C at OU .. and has been a starter in the NFL for a long time

We'd rather convert TE's to play Tackle than recruit true lineman I guess... **** I don't know.

You could come to OU as a kicker and we'll make you a starting OL in the NFL. Now that's development.

Doesn't Cory suffer from some sort of foot condition or am I thinking of another lineman?

Originally Posted by SoonerDan74012 View Post
    Doesn't Cory suffer from some sort of foot condition or am I thinking of another lineman?
    Brian Simmons had club foot

Originally Posted by Meni View Post
    Brian Simmons had club foot
    Pretty sure he still has it.
    2 users like Yatahaze's post: tennsooner, thurman murman

Congrats!

Does he earn full pay this late in the season?

Originally Posted by SoonerDan74012 View Post
    Had athletes foot. It was cured early on with a shot of Lamasil.Rumors of persistent jock itch were put to rest as well.

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Madsen View Post
    We'd rather convert TE's to play Tackle than recruit true lineman I guess... **** I don't know.
    Maybe because it works?