** Oklahoma Sooners vs Stephen F.Austin Lumberjacks**

Posted 731 day(s) ago 2539 Views 59 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

OU Hoops ** Oklahoma Sooners vs Stephen F.Austin Lumberjacks**

Tonight OU vs SFA Lumberjacks 7:00 PM at LNC on SoonerSports TV on FS Oklahoma and on FCS Central

FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
    • Tuesday's game will mark Oklahoma's third of the season at home. The Sooners played seven of their first nine games away from home, their most in 37 years (played eight of their first 10 away from home in 1975-76). West Virginia is the only other power-6 conference team to play just two home games so far.
    • OU and Stephen F. Austin have met twice previously, with each team owning a victory. The Sooners won 88-55 in Norman in the 1980-81 season while the Lumberjacks posted a 66-62 win in Norman in 2007-08.
    • The Sooners have won 36 straight non-conference home games and 94 of their last 96 such contests. Stephen F. Austin is the last non-conference team to beat OU at Lloyd Noble Center (Dec. 8, 2007).
    • Oklahoma senior forward Romero Osby is averaging 20.5 points and 6.5 rebounds over the last two games while shooting .667 from the field (14-for-21) and 1.000 from the free throw line (13-for-13).
    • Stephen F. Austin is holding opponents to a .386 field goal mark. Four of Oklahoma's seven wins this season have come when it has shot less than .400 from the field.

TEAM UPDATE
    • As of Monday, Oklahoma is ranked 16th in the CBSSports.com RPI (second best in Big 12 behind No. 9 Kansas). Stephen F. Austin entered the week at No. 27.
    • After playing six games in a span of 13 days, Tuesday's contest against Stephen F. Austin will mark the second of two games in a 24-day stretch.
    • Oklahoma has already won as many games away from home this year (5-2 record) as it did all of last season (4-11 record). The Sooners will play at least 10 more games away from Lloyd Noble Center this season.
    • OU has played six games this year decided by seven points or fewer and has won five of them. Last year the Sooners finished 4-5 under the circumstance.
    • The Sooners have exhibited a balanced offensive attack through nine games, with seven players averaging between 6.1 and 13.2 points per contest. Nine players average between 16.8 and 25.1 minutes per game. A Sooner has played at least 30 minutes in a game just six times this year.
    • OU returned its top six scorers and 88 percent of its scoring from last season, but newcomers rank third, fourth, seventh and eighth in scoring average. The team's four newcomers have accounted for 40 percent of the team's points (248 of 614).
    • Despite the fact that OU has registered only 1.6 fewer turnovers per game (118 total on the season) than its opponents (132), the Sooners own a 155-106 advantage in points off turnovers (17.2 to 11.8 per game).
    • The Sooners' bench has been key, supplying 254 of the team's 614 points (41 percent). OU's reserves have been outscored just twice in nine games (vs. Gonzaga and Northwestern State). Two starters from last year (Cameron Clark and Sam Grooms) have come off the bench each of the first nine contests, while another, Andrew Fitzgerald, has come off the bench in eight games.

i believe grooms is out with a concussion

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    i believe grooms is out with a concussion
    Correct.

OU radio network says No Sam Grooms tonight

looks like a good start. yall have at it

timeout on the floor 11:36 1st OU 13 SFA 11

Making us work for everything. No easy shots so far.

Brent Price needs to stop saying "we need to do this" and "we need to do that". I don't care if it's the Sooner Sports Network or if you're a former player, that's completely unprofessional broadcasting.
    The following users like this post: Bk2X

Sort of like making sure you call him "Walton".

We need someone to start making baskets. 23-23/1:30.

SFA defense is pretty darn good. Need to stop allowing easy baskets.

Originally Posted by Mahler View Post
    SFA defense is pretty darn good. Need to stop allowing easy baskets.
    They're extending the offense and taking away the three. You're right. They'e getting easier looks than we are.

Clark with a basket to end the half. 30-26 OU/half.

Seemed like we did a better job on D the last 5 minutes before half limiting their easy looks. Their point guard is making our guards look bad though.

Pretty horrible crowd here tonight. I count 7 students in the student floor section. Of course, school isn't in session and we're playing SFA. Still, pretty depressing.

Seemed like we did a better job on D the last 5 minutes before half limiting their easy looks. Their point guard is making our guards look bad though.

Pretty horrible crowd here tonight. I count 7 students in the student floor section. Of course, school isn't in session and we're playing SFA. Still, pretty depressing.
    Surely there are enough regular people in the area to get at least a servicable crowd in there. This has been going on forever. It's so different up here. KU fills the place against Popcorn St. no matter what.

MF offcials can't call adamn foul on SFA no matter what they do,,,,,,,,,,,damn

Hard to watch!

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    Surely there are enough regular people in the area to get at least a servicable crowd in there. This has been going on forever. It's so different up here. KU fills the place against Popcorn St. no matter what.
    I grew up in Kansas. Tough to get a KU basketball ticket. Like OU football.

The rim has been unkind to say the least

Didn't think we would be in this position. nice defense that last time down.

Missed FT to lose. Blah.

couldn't buy a shot tonite..
    and nobody could stop bateman.....
    really missed grooms.....
    clark was his old self
    and mbaye extended his invisible streak to 2

Re: ** Oklahoma Sooners vs Stephen F.Austin Lumberjacks**

One of my SFA friends congratulated the Lumber Jacks on Twitter ....damn it

The Dark Side

Did we seriously lose? Honest question!

shot 37.9% and 21.4% from 3
    cousins oh for 4
    hield 3 of 11
    clark 1 of 4
    mbaye 3 pts

our shooting has been in the toilet the last few games

Originally Posted by suncoastsooner View Post
    Did we seriously lose? Honest question!
    did you have a miraculous recovery?

Gave up way too many easy shots. Why can't we have a point guard like them? Could have (should have) won but played very poorly I thought.

However poorly we played, the crowd was embarrassing. Of course they should be motivated to play hard anyway but it's got to be a let down playing in that arena.

did you have a miraculous recovery?
    Can you read? I said I was DVRing the game and had dinner plans many hours ago. I am really just... Wow... Wtf happenned?

Can you read? I said I was DVRing the game and had dinner plans many hours ago. I am really just... Wow... Wtf happenned?
    Read the thread. It doesn't show in the stats but I really felt like they out hustled us. Throughout the game they were making the extra pass and getting easy shots under the basket while we were settling for poor shots. Late in the game we made a run by playing better defense and making some outside shots but it wasn't enough. Still, we had our shot to win at the end but came up short.
    The following users like this post: suncoastsooner

Mbaye can ride the bench the rest of the year...he is giving us NOTHING...

It's amazing how terrible this program has become. Just total shit from top to bottom.

Originally Posted by BleeOU1 View Post
    It's amazing how terrible this program has become. Just total shit from top to bottom.
    I don't want to go that far but I am very disheartened at the initial impression without having sat down and watched the game. I have felt we have looked better on the court and I have faith in Kruger but at some point those things have to meet with results and they aren't.

I don't want to go that far but I am very disheartened at the initial impression without having sat down and watched the game. I have felt we have looked better on the court and I have faith in Kruger but at some point those things have to meet with results and they aren't.
    Sometimes it doesn't matter what the coach does and how much someone wants to if you don't have the ponies..

Wait'll we play KU. The kid they have at guard is being described as having a D Wade type ceiling.

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    Sometimes it doesn't matter what the coach does and how much someone wants to if you don't have the ponies..

Wait'll we play KU. The kid they have at guard is being described as having a D Wade type ceiling.
    That's a good point and why I don't want to go off the ledge. I am just discouraged right now.

While I do not think we are an NCAA tournament team I will say that tonight's ineptitude seems to me to be the exception rather than the rule so far this season. Not that we haven't had bad stretches in other games but tonight just sucked.

I do believe we are improved from last year and have an opportunity to maybe make the N.I.T. But, I'm really disappointed in our guard play, specifically our inability to find someone to handle the ball on a regular basis. Then again I'm also disappointed in M'Baye's play so far this season. Remember all last season when everyone said the best player on our team was on the bench (M'Baye)?

Still, I will wait to judge until Coach Kruger has had not only this season but next year. I will be extremely disappointed if we don't make the tourney next year.

While I do not think we are an NCAA tournament team I will say that tonight's ineptitude seems to me to be the exception rather than the rule so far this season. Not that we haven't had bad stretches in other games but tonight just sucked.

I do believe we are improved from last year and have an opportunity to maybe make the N.I.T. But, I'm really disappointed in our guard play, specifically our inability to find someone to handle the ball on a regular basis. Then again I'm also disappointed in M'Baye's play so far this season. Remember all last season when everyone said the best player on our team was on the bench (M'Baye)?

Still, I will wait to judge until Coach Kruger has had not only this season but next year. I will be extremely disappointed if we don't make the tourney next year.
    M'baye is our best player. He is not pieced together well with our roster for his skill set. Basketball is still fundamentally a team game.

Fair enough. But he hasn't done much for the past two games. I would expect our best player to have more of an impact on a regular basis.

Was at the game and SFA looked pretty good.
    We played like we had our heads in our asses, though. Our defense looked pretty bad as we kept getting out of position, getting back doored, and Jesus Christ we went for a ball fake about every single time they used one.
    Looking at SFA's schedule to date, they are now 8-1 with their one loss coming to aTm. This team is set up well and could be a sleeper by the end of the year.

There goes our #34 ranking!

Gave up way too many easy shots. Why can't we have a point guard like them? Could have (should have) won but played very poorly I thought.

However poorly we played, the crowd was embarrassing. Of course they should be motivated to play hard anyway but it's got to be a let down playing in that arena.
    This is my question, why can't we have a point guard that is quick and can dribble like a mad man. We see abuot 10 of them every year that make us look like school boys, so they are out there, get us one. Oh and bye the way how about a FRICKING POST player who can intimidate folks who are driving the lane. All we do is play the matador defense down there in the lane.

Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
    Was at the game and SFA looked pretty good.
    We played like we had our heads in our asses, though. Our defense looked pretty bad as we kept getting out of position, getting back doored, and Jesus Christ we went for a ball fake about every single time they used one.
    Looking at SFA's schedule to date, they are now 8-1 with their one loss coming to aTm. This team is set up well and could be a sleeper by the end of the year.
    Jesus; it's always an individual game excuse at this point. UT-A "looked pretty good" excuse game . . . but no they don't when you go look at their body of work (they were absolutely murdered by a bad Texas team); Arkansas "looked pretty good" in OUr game . . . they're 5-4 overall and only 1-4 against other large conference opponents and their only victory during a five game skid. We struggled with a UTEP team on a neutral court who is losing by an average margin of double digits against mediocre opponents.

I'm sure I'll once again get blasted but the fact of the matter is at certain point we have to stop making yet another excuse about individual games and look at the overall body of work from this team and realize we are not where we thought we would be; honestly right now looking at it with some real perspective this morning I am beginning to even doubt that we might be with my own tempered expectations.

I totally agree suncoast. It is looking really really bad. M'Baye is junk, he may be super athletic but we are playing scrubs and he should be contributing at least a little bit...

you play a shitty game against a capable team....you will lose...simple as that
    this game in no way is indicative of "total shit from top to bottom"....or how well we'll play in the future...
    mbaye is not "junk"...
    you guys overreact like a bunch of old women...

you play a shitty game against a capable team....you will lose...simple as that
    this game in no way is indicative of "total shit from top to bottom"....or how well we'll play in the future...
    mbaye is not "junk"...
    you guys overreact like a bunch of old women...
    You're the king of excuses of sunshine pumping. Not a credible bone in your body when it comes to any Oklahoma athletics.

You're the king of excuses of sunshine pumping. Not a credible bone in your body when it comes to any Oklahoma athletics.
    i didn't make any excuses dumbazz...
    but i will make a bold statement and say that if grooms would have played.....this would have been a W

Some of you guys (on both sides of the argument) should look up the word, hyperbole in the dictionary.

We sucked yesterday. We are not where we we want to be at as a program. I personally think we will improve under Kruger and become a respectable program again.

This is going to go on all year. We aren't getting different players anytime soon but Kruger won't let the ones we have underachieve on a regular basis like last night.

We will be up and down all year and some will look on the bright side while others will remain, as always, unhappy and pissed.

Some of you guys (on both sides of the argument) should look up the word, hyperbole in the dictionary.

We sucked yesterday. We are not where we we want to be at as a program. I personally think we will improve under Kruger and become a respectable program again.

This is going to go on all year. We aren't getting different players anytime soon but Kruger won't let the ones we have underachieve on a regular basis like last night.

We will be up and down all year and some will look on the bright side while others will remain, as always, unhappy and pissed.
    i was unhappy and pissed last nite...
    absolutely no excuse for the effort (lack of)....and poor decisions..... over 30 minutes....
    but i don't get so emotional (or maybe it's just complete lack of understanding)...that i call our program "shit from top to bottom"....
    our ceiling this year is still much higher....if you are blind and fall in behind scs....you go right ahead...

i was unhappy and pissed last nite...
    absolutely no excuse for the effort (lack of)....and poor decisions..... over 30 minutes....
    but i don't get so emotional (or maybe it's just complete lack of understanding)...that i call our program "shit from top to bottom"....
    our ceiling this year is still much higher....if you are blind and fall in behind scs....you go right ahead...
    I don't know how you got that I was agreeing with Suncoast. I think he would tell you I have consistently been frustrated by what I perceive as him taking pleasure in our failures. I've even wondered at times if he's simply a troll, despite his pages long posts describing why he can never show up on the board when we do well.

However, his recent posts have been more credible, so there's that. Plus, I would not agree with with about Grooms this time. No way he would have scored the 12 points Hornbeak did.

Grooms may have helped some on offense (assists and definitely not points) however I think that would be offset due their guard abusing Grooms cause he is not good on D.