But....But TRADITION!

Posted 491 day(s) ago 3591 Views 54 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

But....But TRADITION!

Take a look at these new uniforms that Michigan will be wearing in the Outback Bowl.

Won't somebody think of the tradition?!?!?!?

vCash

I have no problem at all with a ONCE a year alternative or throwback uniform

I like them, but the usual sticks in the mud will be along shortly to cry about it and tell us how OU will never do anything like this.
    The following users like this post: DHF

vCash

I like the traditional leather helmets.
    2 users like OUrage's post: BajaOklahoma, Pardner

Michigan has gone with different unis a bunch the last few years. Haven't really liked any of them.
    The following users like this post: Tundra

vCash

But....But TRADITION!

Not hideous, but not good. Their ones from the ND game last year were awesome though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vCash

But....But TRADITION!

I think it's the yellow number, makes it seem unbalanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fully support an occasional throwback or new uniform, but these are not Michigan's best work...

vCash
    Don't live in Wichita, but I am a Sooner.

It's sad to see such a tradition rich program that has such iconic uniforms do this just so they can placate a few small minded people and add a few more dollars to the bottom line.
    3 users like MikeLucky's post: BajaOklahoma, Tug Medick, whatitis

vCash

Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    It's sad to see such a tradition rich program that has such iconic uniforms do this just so they can placate a few small minded people and add a few more dollars to the bottom line.
    Agreed!

vCash

Like recruits who like flashy things?

vCash

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    18 year old kids are idiots.
    5 users like The's post: BajaOklahoma, BernieMadoff, BleeOU1, Julz, whatitis

vCash

Yes. They would be a part of that group I was referencing.

vCash

Matte paint is the new chrome. Duh.

vCash

Speed decals will help them catch up with SEC speeds.
    The following users like this post: madillsoonerfan5353

Yes. They would be a part of that group I was referencing.
    Those 18 year old kids are going to be the ones on the field wearing the uniforms and winning games. I would hope that OU would listen more to the 18 year olds than the fans in the stands ****ing and crying about "tradition".
    2 users like DHF's post: Big Red One, DirtySouth_Sooner

vCash

But....But TRADITION!

I have no problem at all with a ONCE a year alternative or throwback uniform
    Especially for Thursday night games.

The top recruits in the country right now go to Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, Florida, LSU, all of which never really change their unis. Michigan has been doing this a couple years now, and they've had top 5 classes for years. But there really isn't a need for it.

Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    Those 18 year old kids are going to be the ones on the field wearing the uniforms and winning games. I would hope that OU would listen more to the 18 year olds than the fans in the stands ****ing and crying about "tradition".
    I'm guessing you are also 18.
    2 users like SoonerPT's post: H82Lose, SECsooner

If our coaches listen to 18 year olds they would lose a ton more games than we already do.

Yea, screw all those idiots that are paying for there to be a football program.

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    If our coaches listen to 18 year olds they would lose a ton more games than we already do.
    Not only that but there would be drills run on how to block someone who is after your weed.

FIRE OUR UNIFORMS!
    5 users like OldSooner's post: BajaOklahoma, BernieMadoff, madillsoonerfan5353, The, Tug Medick

vCash

The top recruits in the country right now go to Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, Florida, LSU, all of which never really change their unis. Michigan has been doing this a couple years now, and they've had top 5 classes for years. But there really isn't a need for it.

5 users like oorah_okie's post: BMR, DHF, SECsooner, Slappyslapopolus, SpankyNek

vCash

I personally am thankful there is only one...Oklahoma uniform
    3 users like mexican/ninja's post: BajaOklahoma, BernieMadoff, MikeLucky

But....But TRADITION!

Ugh that mate finish on the helmets

vCash

But....But TRADITION!

I just think its difficult to have a good looking alt jersey without a 3rd color, which OU does not have. Go with historically based throwbacks if you must but otherwise don't Oregon my Oklahoma.
    2 users like fdubzou's post: Hastur, madillsoonerfan5353

vCash

Originally Posted by fdubzou View Post
    I just think its difficult to have a good looking alt jersey without a 3rd color, which OU does not have.
    There are some slight modifications you can make like white helmets and crimson pants, but that is a very good point. I would like to see a white helmet with a giant red Schooner on the left side and player numbers on the right.

LSU is debuting new uniforms for the Homophobe Bowl. Don't know if it's a permanent change, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept these. The stripes look a little different, and they're going with Flywire and the new panels on the jersey. OU will probably end up doing the Flywire/Panels Nike uniform in the next couple years.

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post

Those OSU and UF uni's are throwbacks. Don't know about LSU but given the lack of shininess and matte I'm guessin' throwbacks also. And Texas, well - LOL.....

I am beginning to agree with this. Apparently our "we're OU... we have tradition and don't need those type of things to get the best players" thought process isn't shared with many of today's yout's.
    The following users like this post: madillsoonerfan5353

Originally Posted by SleestakkSooner View Post
    Those OSU and UF uni's are throwbacks. Don't know about LSU but given the lack of shininess and matte I'm guessin' throwbacks also. And Texas, well - LOL.....
    I don't think the UF white helmets were throwbacks. They were a part of their Pro Combat uniforms.

Those Ohio State jerseys were throwbacks, but these are what they wore for the Michigan game this season. These are not throwbacks.

And I'm pretty sure the ones they wore in 2011 weren't either.

LSU's were also Pro Combat uniforms. And they've had two different Pro Combat uniforms.

Alternate uniforms are the new normal.
    2 users like DHF's post: BMR, oorah_okie

vCash

But....But TRADITION!

LSU is debuting new uniforms for the Homophobe Bowl. Don't know if it's a permanent change, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept these. The stripes look a little different, and they're going with Flywire and the new panels on the jersey. OU will probably end up doing the Flywire/Panels Nike uniform in the next couple years.
    You take back what you said about Chik-Fila!!!!

You take back what you said about Chik-Fila!!!!
    As much as I disagree with their beliefs, they make some amazing chicken. I love that place.

Where does the NASCAR decal go?
    The following users like this post: KCRuf/Nek

Take a look at these new uniforms that Michigan will be wearing in the Outback Bowl.

Won't somebody think of the tradition?!?!?!?
    that sum **** is BLACK! has Brutha contacted him yet to make sure he got paid to model those uni's? and for the record those are terrible

vCash

Throwbacks are very cool once a year. The issue I have with the uni changes are the ****ed up looking one.. the multicolor hard to look at unis.

vCash

Tradition or not, those Michigan unis are ugly. Michigan has some great looking unis. No need to stoop to this level. Fancy alternate unis are for schools who screwed up with their uniforms and/or colors first time around. I think the traditional maize and blue looks outstanding. And even though I hate Notre Dame, they've got great looking classic unis. Except I hated thier helmets this year. They looked cheap with that shiny gold.

I know what 18 and 19+ year old athletes like better than snazzy uniforms. Winning. Alabama's unis aren't just a whole lot different than ours and they've got some of the best athletes in the country and will be playing to win their 3rd NC in 4 seasons. So fiveoh, trying to make the correlation that the reason OU isn't winning NCs because we don't have fancy alternate uniforms is just wrong. You could probably dress a team in pink with bows on top of their helmets as long as they just kept beating people and winning hardware.

The fancy uniforms coincided with Oregon's rise to being a football power so other colleges saw that and wanted some of it too. But what worked for Oregon won't work for everyone. Other teams need to find their thing instead of trying to be Oregon jr.

Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Tradition or not, those Michigan unis are ugly. Michigan has some great looking unis. No need to stoop to this level. Fancy alternate unis are for schools who screwed up with their uniforms and/or colors first time around. I think the traditional maize and blue looks outstanding. And even though I hate Notre Dame, they've got great looking classic unis. Except I hated thier helmets this year. They looked cheap with that shiny gold.

I know what 18 and 19+ year old athletes like better than snazzy uniforms. Winning. Alabama's unis aren't just a whole lot different than ours and they've got some of the best athletes in the country and will be playing to win their 3rd NC in 4 seasons. So fiveoh, trying to make the correlation that the reason OU isn't winning NCs because we don't have fancy alternate uniforms is just wrong. You could probably dress a team in pink with bows on top of their helmets as long as they just kept beating people and winning hardware.

The fancy uniforms coincided with Oregon's rise to being a football power so other colleges saw that and wanted some of it too. But what worked for Oregon won't work for everyone. Other teams need to find their thing instead of trying to be Oregon jr.
    Pretty sure I said it might help with recruiting... Not that we won't win championships without it.

Those are Texas's practice uniforms, their fan base is too prideful to ever wear those on game day. Ohio State has been doing this for the last 6 years and every single one has been downright ugly, especially the ones they wore against Michigan 2 years ago. Florida is a powerhouse and all but they've never been a traditional power. They gained prominence in the 80s and didn't win their first national title until 1996, and they've never really had consistent uni's. As for LSU, I think that was just a one time thing.

Originally Posted by traxx View Post

Agreed. The reason Oregon had all of these uniforms made is because 1. Phil Knight is an Oregon alum and 2. Oregon up until the Mike Belloti era was a joke of a football program. They were a historic Pac 10 bottom feeder. Michigan's home uni's are probably the best in college football anyway.

vCash

But....But TRADITION!

Originally Posted by Stein7495 View Post
    Those are Texas's practice uniforms, their fan base is too prideful to ever wear those on game day. Ohio State has been doing this for the last 6 years and every single one has been downright ugly, especially the ones they wore against Michigan 2 years ago. Florida is a powerhouse and all but they've never been a traditional power. They gained prominence in the 80s and didn't win their first national title until 1996, and they've never really had consistent uni's. As for LSU, I think that was just a one time thing.
    I know all this. Nick Zepp said those four never change their uniforms and always, he was wrong.

When you make the Outback Bowl you really have to go big.

vCash

The fact remains that we did do a throwback one year... and we did an alternate uniform one year... And, we don't really have any GOOD reason to do either again.

Besides, I personally don't care what other schools are doing... it still doesn't mean it's something we should start doing.

vCash

I wish we would go back to our traditional uniforms.

vCash

Originally Posted by fdubzou View Post
    I just think its difficult to have a good looking alt jersey without a 3rd color, which OU does not have.
    Throw a little cream color in there, preferably not the pants inseam though.

vCash

Originally Posted by BleeOU1 View Post
    Yea, screw all those idiots that are paying for there to be a football program.
    yeah ... we sure bring in tens of dollars during the tradition rich "sooner nation days of 90's"; money will come when we win, we win with 18 year old talent ...

we don't have to "listen to them once they get here" ... we just need to recruit them to come here ...

vCash

Can we merge all alternate jersey threads into one super thread? How about a **** jersey forum?

This is the throwback from a few years ago..

2 users like veyron_80's post: DHF, drspencer

Here is every uniform OU has worn..

2 users like veyron_80's post: drspencer, OUrage