We might be pretty good next season

Posted 709 day(s) ago 5665 Views 91 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

I think Blake Bell or Trevor will be fine on offense. If those Juco Dts are any good we might be a really good team next year.

We will probably just lose 2 or 3 games we shouldn't lose.
    2 users like XxSuBLiMexX's post: boomermagic, madillsoonerfan5353

Toughest three game stretch is @Notre Dame, TCU, Texas. We make it thru that and we're still undefeated, the sky's the limit.

Its all on the DL. The ones on campus need to step up, Russell needs to make a impact and Huggins needs to be eligible for added depth.
    4 users like usaosooner's post: madillsoonerfan5353, OU48A, SoopaSooner, Tundra

I'm interested in how Jordan Wade is doing. Also I think Tapper has a break out year next year. We have a chance to be really good.

I was telling my friend that I had a gut feeling that we were going to be pretty good next year. We return a lot of returning starters on offense and should have the best wr corp in the nation. If the TE's can come together and make a big impact I think we can be very deadly in the passing game. Defense is still somewhat up in the air. Depends on TJ and AC coming back or not. I believe Colvin comes back. Question marks along the dline and lb. I think the db's we have are going to be really good. Spring practices and maybe the spring game will give us some insight on how they are progressing.

With the TE's, its not a matter of coming together. Its a matter of the OC incorperating them into the offense.
    3 users like LVSOONER15's post: madillsoonerfan5353, mexican/ninja, soonerintn

Need to be able to run the ball better and stop the run.
    3 users like Houston Sooner's post: boomermagic, madillsoonerfan5353, ouwasp

Anyone who thinks there will not be a dropoff at QB is fooling themselves.

Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
    No doubt OU will not (should not) have QB numbers like Jones. Saying that, the improvement could be made with the new QBs feet and play making abilities when things break down. That was one of Jones' downfalls and it cost OU some games the past few years. I think OU will score less but that lower scoring will assist in the improvement on the defensive side of the ball.
    The following users like this post: Tropicalsooner

OU will be stout on offense. Defense needs to figure itself out. New d-line, and some new pieces in the secondary will be key.

I feel like next year will be a rebuilding year, especially with a new QB, and possibly a new offense. I feel that 9-3 would be a good year for a first year QB. I think 2014 is the year we win #8, though. Knight/Bell will have a year of experience, and Mike's recruits will finally be able to contribute.
    The following users like this post: madillsoonerfan5353

I think we will be better next year. Bell is a gamechanger.
    The following users like this post: McRib

I'll temper my expectations until we see their play on Saturdays. Have a long ways to go on defense, especially if Jefferson and Colvin leave early.
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

Originally Posted by Ibi unus Oklahomae View Post
    I think we will be better next year. Bell is a gamechanger.
    You think Bell (And it's not a given that he'll start next year) is going to be an immediate upgrade from Landry Jones?

Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    You think Bell (And it's not a given that he'll start next year) is going to be an immediate upgrade from Landry Jones?
    Not in arm accuracy, but with his and the RB's running game.

LB's will have to spy him, resulting more of an open area for passing game.
    2 users like Mark_in_tulsa's post: BoulderSooner, OU48A

There certainly will and almost has to be. Im hoping that we are able to be so multiple with Bell, Millard, Williams, (and hopefully Finch) that we can switch from power I to shotgun with 4 wideouts without changing personnel. I doubt we will have much QB run game ( besides belldozer) as we tend to teach them to be pocket qb's. But if we do install some read option we could have a tough offense to stop.

OU has a terrible history of QBs under Bob Stoops. No wait. OU will be fielding a QB next season that won't step out of bounds much earlier than necessary, won't slide several yards short of the first down marker just to save his own skin and when he rolls out, if the receivers are covered and he has daylight, he won't throw the ball away, he will go ahead and grab a few yards for the team.

There won't be a drop off because Blake Bell can pass and his threat to run will open up many opportunities for him that will help in terms of getting receivers open and opening up things in the running game for the Sooner backs. There may be a drop-off in passing yards, but there won't be a drop-off in terms of overall performance. There might actually even be an improvement.

Next season isn't 2005 or 2009 where OU is fielding a redshirt freshman QB throwing behind an inexperienced and injury plagued offensive line and throwing to an inexperienced receiving corps. OU will be fielding a junior QB that has faced first team defenses in big games and throwing behind an experienced offensive line and throwing to an experienced receiving corps. It's an entirely different situation.
    3 users like zcaa0g's post: HudBannon, OUn8v, Turk

A 10 win season in 2013 would be a success based on what personnel OU has. Anything more would be a bonus. 9 wins or less would be a disappointment.

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    OU has a terrible history of QBs under Bob Stoops. No wait. OU will be fielding a QB next season that won't step out of bounds much earlier than necessary, won't slide several yards short of the first down marker just to save his own skin and when he rolls out, if the receivers are covered and he has daylight, he won't throw the ball away, he will go ahead and grab a few yards for the team.

There won't be a drop off because Blake Bell can pass and his threat to run will open up many opportunities for him that will help in terms of getting receivers open and opening up things in the running game for the Sooner backs. There may be a drop-off in passing yards, but there won't be a drop-off in terms of overall performance. There might actually even be an improvement.

Next season isn't 2005 or 2009 where OU is fielding a redshirt freshman QB throwing behind an inexperienced and injury plagued offensive line and throwing to an inexperienced receiving corps. OU will be fielding a junior QB that has faced first team defenses in big games and throwing behind an experienced offensive line and throwing to an experienced receiving corps. It's an entirely different situation.
    You nailed what I am pinning my hopes on. If Stoops bridles Bell, then we will struggle offensively. If he encourages him to run, then he could do great things.

I am betting Stoops tries to make a pocket passer out of him or he'll play much the same role he did this year behind who knows. I wouldn't be more happy to be wrong.

In any event, way too early to make such brash statements about how good we could be. We could be pretty damn bad too. I'll reserve my assessment until after the Notre Dame game, which I believe we'll lose. My assessment depends on how badly we lose.
    The following users like this post: Seabass

Some things I saw that give me some hope we will be a good team next year:
    Two solid RB's with Williams and Clay. Don't discount BC, he's worked hard to get back to his capability.
    Geneo Grissom back to DE. This will help with experience and depth.
    O-Line depth. Had to play to under-classmen in tough games, which will help them tremendously.
    We will miss Landry a lot, but I like Bell's grit and leadership skills. He keeps team in the game at all times.
    WR's will be wicked-good, with playing time being a premium, will make them even better. Slot is scary good (Saunders/Shepperd)
    LB's are a cause for concern, but I trust Kish and Mike to make improvements.
    We need everyone back at DB (No NFL Defections), if that happens we will be fine.
    DL is the area I worry about. Jordan's need to have a great Spring and Summer.
    My $0.02

Anyone who thinks that A&M will not have a dropoff at QB is fooling themselves (losing 1st round pick Ryan Tannehill)

The point is there may be a drop-off. But you never know. There may not be or not as bad as one thinks.
    I'm thinking Trevor Knight may be the real deal.
    The following users like this post: Seabass

Originally Posted by ultralance12 View Post
    There certainly will and almost has to be. Im hoping that we are able to be so multiple with Bell, Millard, Williams, (and hopefully Finch) that we can switch from power I to shotgun with 4 wideouts without changing personnel. I doubt we will have much QB run game ( besides belldozer) as we tend to teach them to be pocket qb's. But if we do install some read option we could have a tough offense to stop.
    Talk of next years backfield should never exclude Ross (or Clay as mentioned above).

Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    Anyone who thinks that A&M will not have a dropoff at QB is fooling themselves (losing 1st round pick Ryan Tannehill)

The point is there may be a drop-off. But you never know. There may not be or not as bad as one thinks.
    TK is my pick to win the job... just a guess.

Originally Posted by Tundra View Post

I do too. I think Knight is going to be amazing here. I'm hoping he wins the job.

Not trying to be a dick, but why do people have such a hard-on for Trevor Knight? Is it based on what players say about his scout team performance, or just wishful thinking because they don't believe Blake Bell can be the guy?

I'll go with Bell until I actually see Trevor in the Spring
    2 users like HeroOfTheDay's post: cscsooner, madillsoonerfan5353

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Its all on the DL. The ones on campus need to step up, Russell needs to make a impact and Huggins needs to be eligible for added depth.
    Agree^
    And a very big part of this will be how hard our DE & DT’s work in the off season. This is all about will, desire, and self-motivation.
    They need to get bigger and much stronger. They need to be able to bull rush opponents.
    Also.... our OL needs to get stronger so they can run block better.

Yes. He isn't afraid to take a hit.

Originally Posted by SilksKS View Post
    Yes. He isn't afraid to take a hit.
    So a guy who's never started a game in college is going to be an immediate upgrade over one of the greatest QB's in Oklahoma history because he's not afraid to take a hit?

Alright. Solid reasoning.
    3 users like DHF's post: cccasooner2, madillsoonerfan5353, tennsooner

So a guy who's never started a game in college is going to be an immediate upgrade over one of the greatest QB's in Oklahoma history because he's not afraid to take a hit?

He is a far cry from one of the greatest QBs in OU history. He has the records because he played 4 injury free years in a pass happy offense where OU has a history of non-passing QBs.

He has many moments of greatness, but not consistently.
    The following users like this post: Mad Dog Madsen

OU has been a passing team for less than 15 years. In those years I would take Landry over Hybl, Bomar and Thompson. So in the past 14 years he is the 4th best QB.......behind 2 Heisman winners and a Heisman runner up.
    The following users like this post: ArmySooner

So you agree that Landry was/is afraid to take a hit, which is a big reason why he remained injury free all 4 years. Well that and great pass-blocking.

T.Knight might get lost in the shuffle. People are writing off the qb OU has coming in this fall Cody Thomas.

He is a far cry from one of the greatest QBs in OU history. He has the records because he played 4 injury free years in a pass happy offense where OU has a history of non-passing QBs.

I would agree that he wasn't the most consistent QB, but when you're looking at the greatest OU QB's of all time, Landry is probably #3 behind Bradford and White. It's pretty unreasonable to think that a guy who's never started in college will be an upgrade over a Top 3 QB in program history.

News flash....he looks pretty damn good regardless of conference or time frame.

I would agree that he wasn't the most consistent QB, but when you're looking at the greatest OU QB's of all time, Landry is probably #3 behind Bradford and White. It's pretty unreasonable to think that a guy who's never started in college will be an upgrade over a Top 3 QB in program history.
    Landry has never been in the Heisman talk at the end of a season. He has been in it at the beginning of a couple of seasons. He obviously hasn't lived up to expectations. Josh came in 2nd, but he should have won it. You would really take Landry over Josh.

You also need to consider intangibles. Landry didn't lead the team well. You could see a big difference in the way the team responded to Bell.

Originally Posted by tennsooner View Post
    News flash....he looks pretty damn good regardless of conference or time frame.
    He was good......not great. He was Hybl+.

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    So you agree that Landry was/is afraid to take a hit, which is a big reason why he remained injury free all 4 years. Well that and great pass-blocking.
    There were times where Landry made me scratch my head and wonder what the hell he was doing. There were times where he looked scared to death. But there were multiple times this season where he stood up and made a hell of a throw right before he took a hard hit. He had 1 terrible game this year, and pretty damn good in almost every other game (He was kinda shaky against TCU).

Originally Posted by HeroOfTheDay View Post
    Not trying to be a dick, but why do people have such a hard-on for Trevor Knight? Is it based on what players say about his scout team performance, or just wishful thinking because they don't believe Blake Bell can be the guy?

I'll go with Bell until I actually see Trevor in the Spring

I also would like to know this?

Landry has never been in the Heisman talk at the end of a season. He has been in it at the beginning of a couple of seasons. He obviously hasn't lived up to expectations. Josh came in 2nd, but he should have won it. You would really take Landry over Josh.

You also need to consider intangibles. Landry didn't lead the team well. You could see a big difference in the way the team responded to Bell.
    Yes, I would take Landry over Josh. Let's take a look at some stats.

Jones - 1,247/1,973 (63.2%), 111/48 TD/INT
    Heupel - 654/1,025 (63.8%), 53/31 TD/INT

Heupel threw about half as many times as Jones, and only had 17 less INT's. If he threw the ball as much as Jones has, he'd have around 100 TD's and 60 INT's. I'll always have a soft spot for Josh because of 2000 and what he meant to that team, but if I had to pick one of the two, I'd choose Landry. And that's not taking anything away from Josh, because he was a good QB.

He was good......not great. He was Hybl+.

Jones>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hybl

Notre Dame will be tough, but if I'm not mistaken they lose quite a bit of seniors. TCU will be improved but we should handle them. The Texas game will be the same old deal it always is: a lot hype and buildup for the game, its just a matter of who comes out and responds better when they get hit in the mouth...obviously we've done the ass kicking and Texas hasn't responded well the last 3 years but its a new year and a new team. But they still have a lot of questions at QB and they have had a problem at developing players, not to mention Stoops owns Mack. Then theres Bedlam. OSU will be fired up, not just because they wanna beat big brother but because of their collapse in the 4th quarter this year. They will be potent on offense as always and of course they will have a lackluster defense that can't cover too well in the secondary. I'm sure OU can win that but it will be another wild shootout and a very close game. I think we will finish either 10-2 with losses to Notre Dame and OSU with a possible split conference championship or we will have a great year at 11-1 with a tough loss to Notre Dame in South Bend. I'm sorry, I want to beat Notre Dame as badly as everybody else does but I just don't see it happening next year on the road. Blake Bell will still be getting adjusted to the starting role and playing at Notre Dame is not an easy game as your first road start. At 11-1, and no conference losses, that would give us the Big 12 title outright, a BCS bowl and depending on how the rest of the college football landscape shakes out, we could have a chance to sneak into Pasadena. Having spouted all this optimism, I do realize, there will be struggles, especially on offense at times with a new quarterback. Blake Bell is good but we will not be throwing it 50-60 times a game anymore, so offensively, I don't expect us to put up nearly as many points as we have. But our bye weeks are at great times, one being before ND and the other before Bedlam. Hopefully the Sooner Magic we've had this season at times can be seen throughout next season as well.

Breaking in a new QB... a very avg. season. LJ will be missed when it counts.

Originally Posted by SoonerSteve1 View Post
    Breaking in a new QB... a very avg. season. LJ will be missed when it counts.
    Outside of 2005 and 2009, which were the results of much more than breaking in a new QB, when has this been the case in the Stoops era?

Re: We might be pretty good next season

Not having LJ bail us out will hurt.

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Outside of 2005 and 2009, which were the results of much more than breaking in a new QB, when has this been the case in the Stoops era?
    It will be interesting to see how Bell pans out. 2005 was just a rebuilding year all around with all the lost talent from the teams that went to the national championship. 2009 was a disaster with injuries out the ass on the offensive side of the ball. If our O-line can stay healthy, we can be pretty solid, because we'll have our RB's and most of our WR core back.

I am weary of seeing Arena League-type play on defense. As long as that continues, I don't see how OU can be categorized as "pretty good".

Entertaining? Sure, depending on your perspective. But I don't see "pretty good".
    2 users like ouwasp's post: madillsoonerfan5353, SilksKS

Originally Posted by Stein7495 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how Bell pans out. 2005 was just a rebuilding year all around with all the lost talent from the teams that went to the national championship. 2009 was a disaster with injuries out the ass on the offensive side of the ball. If our O-line can stay healthy, we can be pretty solid, because we'll have our RB's and most of our WR core back.

The 2009 OL injuries were so ridiculous, I believe I remember Bob saying at one point "We're out of bodies." It was crazy.

Not sure about next year or 2014... I've learned it's not wise to guess what 18-22 year olds will do. They will surprise you either way.

Originally Posted by ouwasp View Post
    I am weary of seeing Arena League-type play on defense. As long as that continues, I don't see how OU can be categorized as "pretty good".

Entertaining? Sure, depending on your perspective. But I don't see "pretty good".
    They were "pretty good" this year. So, I'm confused.

if we come out with some ****s on defense and can get penetration we will be better than last year, err this year

We'll probably be favored against every team on our schedule next year except possibly Notre Dame.

The Cotton Bowl is a really big game. Win it and we'll go into 2013 with a lot of confidence.
    The following users like this post: BoulderSooner