We might be pretty good next season

Posted 682 day(s) ago by MOJO_ERASER5651 Views 91 Replies
Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I know that it's become a cool thing to **** about the Defensive Tackles, but the major problem this year with the D-Line was the Defensive Ends. There was zero pressure off the edge this year.

After reading the OP title it does seem plauseible.

We MIGHT be PRETTY good. Realistically he is correct. We could be above average.
    Losing LJ will hurt I think. Absence of a strong LB hurts. Absence of a D-line really hurts.
    IMO We lose 2 or 3 we probably should not.

Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    I know that it's become a cool thing to **** about the Defensive Tackles, but the major problem this year with the D-Line was the Defensive Ends. There was zero pressure off the edge this year.
    Defensive tackles were an issue last season and the season before as well even with Lewis and Alexander at the DE spots. It hasn't become a cool thing to say regarding the defensive tackles, they were all disappointments and are extremely slow and unathletic.
    2 users like zcaa0g's post: lobster999, madillsoonerfan5353

Re: We might be pretty good next season

I think our DTs played okay this year.Our LBs/S were never there on run plays and our Ends didn't get to QBs

Unfortunately we are fielding alot of question marks, IMO. We will see... I certainly hope so, as I am always that guy that says, "we're gonna win the NC this year!" at the beginning of the season.

Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    You think Bell (And it's not a given that he'll start next year) is going to be an immediate upgrade from Landry Jones?
    do you think the same thing was said at TAMU ... they lost a qb in the top 10 of the NFL draft ... how could who ever replaces him be better ...

and they did get better qb play because it is not all about NFL talent the ability and threat of the run does wonders for an offense

I never thought Tannenhill was that good. Plus Sumlin always gets QBs to fit his offenses and play well. I'm not sure about that with Heupel's offense at OU.

Originally Posted by SilksKS View Post
    OU has been a passing team for less than 15 years. In those years I would take Landry over Hybl, Bomar and Thompson. So in the past 14 years he is the 4th best QB.......behind 2 Heisman winners and a Heisman runner up.
    LJ is so much of a better player than white it is not even funny ...

White gets overlooked a lot but he was really amazing. We hadn't seen his type of accuracy before at OU. Now Sam and probably Landry both blew him out of the water with their accuracy. But still even Heupel wasn't really as accurate on some of the throws that White was accurate on. I think White would have been an even bigger legend if he didn't tear his 2 knees though.
    The following users like this post: Wailer

Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
    Anyone who thinks there will not be a dropoff at QB is fooling themselves.
    I'll be happy with Paul Thompson 06' production. That would still be a huge drop off in "QB Production" yet we would still be a powerful team. Im, pretty sure we will see somewhat of a ball control offense, yet still have the ability to throw the ball all over the field.

Originally Posted by Hotrod33 View Post
    I was telling my friend that I had a gut feeling that we were going to be pretty good next year. We return a lot of returning starters on offense and should have the best wr corp in the nation. If the TE's can come together and make a big impact I think we can be very deadly in the passing game. Defense is still somewhat up in the air. Depends on TJ and AC coming back or not. I believe Colvin comes back. Question marks along the dline and lb. I think the db's we have are going to be really good. Spring practices and maybe the spring game will give us some insight on how they are progressing.
    What are these TE's that you speak of? I thought we had eliminated the position.

Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    LOL!!! No, really. LOL!!!

Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Are you kidding me?

Jason blew out not one but two knees. Because of the injuries he completely changed the type of QB he was. He went from a run/throw QB to a very accurate pocket passer. Not every QB can make that change and be that successful. Jason was a great athlete. If it was necessary for Landry to completely change the type of QB he is out of necessity, it couldn't be done. I just don't think he has it in him.

I know some of you will cite stats and stats are a good thing but sometimes you've got to look past the numbers too. Numbers don't show intangibles like what kind of a leader a player is. Looking at stats, former OU coach Vernon Parrington has a nearly identical win percentage to Stoops. However, I doubt anyone here would switch out Stoops for Parrington and expect the same results.

If Stoops & Co. let Blake (considering he wins the job) play to his natural abilities, he'll be very good. If they try to make him something he's not, a pure pocket passer, OU will struggle. If they let Blake do what he does and then put in some zone read stuff, our O will be pretty hard to stop. My brother in laws parents live in KS and they saw Blake play in high school. My BIL's dad said that what people in Oklahoma don't realize is that Blake can pass the ball and that he's really good at it. If that's true, he'll be able to pass accurately, extend plays, get short yardage, improvise on broken plays and keep defenses honest with zone reads. That's a pretty powerful weapon right there.

I think it all starts up front. No matter how good a QB is, it doesn't mean anything if there isn't a quality line. A QBs tools is only one part.

Originally Posted by OKthere View Post
    I think it all starts up front. No matter how good a QB is, it doesn't mean anything if there isn't a quality line. A QBs tools is only one part.
    heh heh...you're talking about a QB's tool.
    The following users like this post: Mississippi Sooner

Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    Yes, I would take Landry over Josh. Let's take a look at some stats.

Jones - 1,247/1,973 (63.2%), 111/48 TD/INT
    Heupel - 654/1,025 (63.8%), 53/31 TD/INT
    You do realize OU ran a different offense 12 years ago right?

Originally Posted by Ibi unus Oklahomae View Post
    I think we will be better next year. Bell is a gamechanger.
    Yes, I believe Bell will be like a Collin Klein type. Big guy, can sling it, Dual Threat.....very successful.

So...no one wants to answer my question?

Originally Posted by HeroOfTheDay View Post
    So...no one wants to answer my question?
    It's the backup QB complex.

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    It's the backup QB complex.
    But as of right now, Trevor is the backup-backup-backup

Bell, Allen, Thompson

Originally Posted by HeroOfTheDay View Post
    But as of right now, Trevor is the backup-backup-backup

Bell, Allen, Thompson
    If he is buried that deep then nobody can be wrong and everyone will be on his jock since someone said something nice about him. Everyone loves the backup when he's not playing because they can say "if they put Paul Thompson in we would have won the Sugar Bowl" and how do you prove them wrong?

At OU the back QBS are always better and more loved than the starter or projected starter. I have heard religiously that Blake/Drew/Kendall/Trevor/Cody is going to light up the offseason. I think it would take a kid with an eye-patch and a prosthetic arm to give us pause about seasoning and training a younger QB. If you are being honest with yourself, everyone on this board already has a 98% correct hunch about who the QB is going to be next year. If Bell doesn't fall out of the back of a pick-up and hurt himself, he's the guy. Amirite?

Did the 2 games we lost this year should have been W's? Even if we played mistake free football in those 2 games, I don't think we belong in the championship game. Maybe Im wrong. But I see us getting beat by 2 td's against bama. We just don't have the horses in the running game on O or D to win that game. I guess Im just saying that at least this year we lost to good teams. Under venables we lost to weaker opp.

Originally Posted by oudidntknow84 View Post
    Did the 2 games we lost this year should have been W's? Even if we played mistake free football in those 2 games, I don't think we belong in the championship game. Maybe Im wrong. But I see us getting beat by 2 td's against bama. We just don't have the horses in the running game on O or D to win that game. I guess Im just saying that at least this year we lost to good teams. Under venables we lost to weaker opp.
    K-State should of been a win simply because that was the worst we had played all season yet we barely lost.

Notre Dame was better

I expect 2-3 loses...

This is a great and lively discussion, guys. Sure, it's a bunch of people shitting all over their hands and typing with it, but it's fun to read.

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    This is a great and lively discussion, guys. Sure, it's a bunch of people shitting all over their hands and typing with it, but it's fun to read.
    I only piss on mine.

Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
    Anyone who thinks there will not be a dropoff at QB is fooling themselves.
    Why is that? Has there really been any dropoff at OU since Jason White? Has OSU experienced any dropoff since Josh Fields? Has Baylor seen any dropoff since Griffin left? T-Tech since Kingsbury? Texas A&M doesn't seem to be experiencing dropoff since their 1st rd draft pick left last year either.

Originally Posted by Ibi unus Oklahomae View Post
    I think we will be better next year. Bell is a gamechanger.
    Until we're down by 17 points with 11 minutes left in the 4th quarter.....

Originally Posted by CPSooner View Post
    Until we're down by 17 points with 11 minutes left in the 4th quarter.....
    Probably need to avoid that.
    2 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: oudidntknow84, The

Why in the shit do you guys think Bell can throw? He has more INTs than he does TD's and has only made 19 passes since he got here. Nothing about that tells me he can throw. It will be a wide open contest in the spring. If this was an inherited position then DA would not be transferring.

We might be pretty good next season

Originally Posted by metes View Post
    Why in the shit do you guys think Bell can throw? He has more INTs than he does TD's and has only made 19 passes since he got here. Nothing about that tells me he can throw. It will be a wide open contest in the spring. If this was an inherited position then DA would not be transferring.
    Because he wouldn't be on scholarship at Oklahoma if he couldn't throw.

Do we know if he is transferring for sure? And, since Bell's been on campus for 3 years and Allen 4 and Bell was the backup last year, most, myself included, assume Bell will continue to beat out Allen. I hope the best QB wins the job but right now all signs point to Bell being that player.

Originally Posted by XxSuBLiMexX View Post
    We will probably just lose 2 or 3 games we shouldn't lose.
    You and Bm are little sissy girls

Why would DA be transferring if he knew he can throw better than Blake bell?

This is OU and we are always good and we will go undefeated and win the NC.

Blake Bell was the #1 rated QB in the country coming out of HS. I can assure you, it wasnt becasue of his ability to rush for 3-5 yards on 3rd and short situations.
    The following users like this post: traxx

Blake Bell hasn't proven he can throw consistently, but he also hasn't proven he CANT throw, either.

Whenever he is in the game, it is in the Belldozer. Obvious running formation with limited options at receiver whenever they chose to let him throw. The Belldozer does not maximize his chances to successfully pass the ball.

In ***MOP UP DUTY*** he has been given regular offensive formations which maximize his chances to pass. In those limited chances, he has shown me that he can pass the ball with velocity and relative accuracy. Is he gonna be Sam-esque in his accuracy? No. Landry-esque? No. All I want him to be is Blake ****ing Bell. It is entirely up to the coaching staff on how well Bell will do. If they remain stubborn and in the "Players have to execute OUR perfect system" mentality and try to make him pass the ball 50+ times like Landry, then Blake will probably not succeed. If they decide to shift offensive philosophy to more spread option like Florida with Tebow, Oregon over the past few years, and Auburn with Cam, then I believe he can succeed.

We all know that Stoops hates asking his QB to run because he does not want them to be hurt. But, when have we had a running QB? Bomar has been the closest to a running QB and even then I remember Stoops allowing him to be an athlete and make plays. I hope Stoops will just let Blake be the great athlete he can be and let him ball.

Until Bell gets some significant reps throwing the ball, anything said about his throwing ability is 100% speculation.

Do not get me wrong I want him or whoever wins the job to be the next Heisman Trophy winner but, we just do not know yet.

Until Bell gets some significant reps throwing the ball, anything said about his throwing ability is 100% speculation.

Do not get me wrong I want him or whoever wins the job to be the next Heisman Trophy winner but, we just do not know yet.
    I think you are confusing throwing ability with whether or not he can win games with his arm, which Landry has done, Sam has done, etc.

It seems like people on here are questioning whether or not he can actually perform a forward pass.

But I agree with you, nonetheless

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Madsen View Post
    You do realize OU ran a different offense 12 years ago right?
    Yeah, and Josh was only 17 INT's away from Landry with almost half of the attempts. Like I said later in that post, if Josh had thrown as much as Landry, he would've been on pace to throw about 60 INT's while at OU.

Originally Posted by playmakr View Post
    They were "pretty good" this year. So, I'm confused.
    I understand how you feel... the 2012 Sooners do have a way of leaving their fans bewildered/confused. Imagine how the coaches feel!