And we wonder why kids are screwed up these days

Posted 675 day(s) ago 1145 Views 30 Replies

BOY REFUSES TO GO TO SCHOOL — SO MICH. MOM SPRAYS HIM WITH MACE

Parents can go to extreme measures to get their kids out of bed and out the door to make it to school on time. One Michigan mom though had a tough time getting her teen son to agree to going to school — so she sprayed him with mace when he refused.

According to MLive.com, the Jackson mother sprayed the 16-year-old when he was trying to get away on his bicycle because she thought he was going to attack her after they had an argument about him going to school. The teen though told police, who responded to a complaint, that he was trying to get away.

Jackson Police Deputy Chief John Holda told MLive no one was injured or arrested.

It is not known if the teen ended up going to school that day.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/boy-...him-with-mace/
    The following users like this post: BMR

Can this thread be the new Chp is banned thread?
    The following users like this post: suncoastsooner

Ban mace

The following users like this post: AFS00N3R

And yet when he kills her people will say they never saw it coming. He was such a nice, quiet child.
    The following users like this post: kssooner

Originally Posted by kssooner View Post
    BOY REFUSES TO GO TO SCHOOL — SO MICH. MOM SPRAYS HIM WITH MACE

Parents can go to extreme measures to get their kids out of bed and out the door to make it to school on time. One Michigan mom though had a tough time getting her teen son to agree to going to school — so she sprayed him with mace when he refused.

According to MLive.com, the Jackson mother sprayed the 16-year-old when he was trying to get away on his bicycle because she thought he was going to attack her after they had an argument about him going to school. The teen though told police, who responded to a complaint, that he was trying to get away.

Jackson Police Deputy Chief John Holda told MLive no one was injured or arrested.

It is not known if the teen ended up going to school that day.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/boy-...him-with-mace/
    As someone who grew up with a delinquent, allow me to say it's a helluva lot harder to control a 16yo young man without putting hands on him than you think.
    2 users like OUMallen's post: McRib, suncoastsooner

could be worse...she could have use a mace to hit him

My Mama didn't need no stinkin' mace.
    The following users like this post: Sooner Bob

Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    As someone who grew up with a delinquent, allow me to say it's a helluva lot harder to control a 16yo young man without putting hands on him than you think.
    Might be even worse with the females because they are even more vicious and do not even hesitate to bite or gouge.

She should have taken away his guns, video games and ADD meds instead.

Originally Posted by suncoastsooner View Post
    Might be even worse with the females because they are even more vicious and do not even hesitate to bite or gouge.
    And you're way less likely to physically restrain.

A decently-developed 16yo male can basically hold an entire house hostage. If he's delinquent enough to call the dad's bluff on physicality, there's little more you can do to discipline or control him other than call the police. And most parents don't want to call the cops on their own kid. It's a bit of a Catch-22, one through which I lived as a youngster unfortunately.

And for the crowd that says, "Discipline that kid! Spank him as a little one, and he'd know! I could teach a kid like that how to behave! Not in MY house!": save it. It takes highly-trained professionals (like ) to deal with children like that...and most parents aren't so trained.

I guess I just kind of relate to the mom using mace. We had times in my house where things were on the verge of zero control with a raging 16 year old. My folks probably SHOULD have used mace a time or two.

And you're way less likely to physically restrain.

A decently-developed 16yo male can basically hold an entire house hostage. If he's delinquent enough to call the dad's bluff on physicality, there's little more you can do to discipline or control him other than call the police. And most parents don't want to call the cops on their own kid. It's a bit of a Catch-22, one through which I lived as a youngster unfortunately.

And for the crowd that says, "Discipline that kid! Spank him as a little one, and he'd know! I could teach a kid like that how to behave! Not in MY house!": save it. It takes highly-trained professionals (like ) to deal with children like that...and most parents aren't so trained.

I guess I just kind of relate to the mom using mace. We had times in my house where things were on the verge of zero control with a raging 16 year old. My folks probably SHOULD have used mace a time or two.

Believe me I understand most of that. Not necessarily about the gender specific parts but I am one of nine siblings; oldest and only male. Two of my younger sisters were complete delinquents (one the closest in age to me). No matter what the adults tried they defied it from an early age.
    The following users like this post: OUMallen

Don't necessarily need to not put hands on. I think the issue was she put mace on him. Even then, I'll reserve judgement of over reaction on this mom til I know more.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Don't necessarily need to not put hands on. I think the issue was she put mace on him. Even then, I'll reserve judgement of over reaction on this mom til I know more.
    You tell me how to reasonably control a raging 16 yo male without harming him, and I'll steal your idea and write a book and make a fillion dollars.

What exactly was she supposed to do?

Originally Posted by okiediva View Post
    What exactly was she supposed to do?
    Beat him with something heavier . . . if they are a minority at least.

You tell me how to reasonably control a raging 16 yo male without harming him, and I'll steal your idea and write a book and make a fillion dollars.
    You misunderstood what I said. I said I don't have a problem with putting hands on--the issue here was she put mace on (and I'm not even sure I have an issue w/the mace--like I said, I'd need to know more.) I've had to physically restrain several out of control 16 year olds--whether it was rage fits, psychotic episodes, drug withdrawls, whatever. I've got no issue grabbing a kid that needs to be grabbed.

Although, I will say in response to the OP, there's a solid argument that could be made that if we had more parents like this, we'd have less nonsense from kids.

Edit: And I could instruct you in how to restrain a kid--your wife could probably show you too. It's not as much about strength as it's about leverage.

You misunderstood what I said. I said I don't have a problem with putting hands on--the issue here was she put mace on (and I'm not even sure I have an issue w/the mace--like I said, I'd need to know more.) I've had to physically restrain several out of control 16 year olds--whether it was rage fits, psychotic episodes, drug withdrawls, whatever. I've got no issue grabbing a kid that needs to be grabbed.

Although, I will say in response to the OP, there's a solid argument that could be made that if we had more parents like this, we'd have less nonsense from kids.

Edit: And I could instruct you in how to restrain a kid--your wife could probably show you too. It's not as much about strength as it's about leverage.
    Handle With Care, yo. She just had her review course last week.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

I am just now catching up on this… I agree, I don't know if I would go straight off for Mace, but it would depend on a lot of other factors. Sometimes a kid needs to be restrained to keep from hurting themselves or others, and if you have to do that, then you just have to. And Cub is right, it's more about leverage than strength - I'm only 5 feet tall, but I have restrained kids a foot taller than me.

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    I am just now catching up on this… I agree, I don't know if I would go straight off for Mace, but it would depend on a lot of other factors. Sometimes a kid needs to be restrained to keep from hurting themselves or others, and if you have to do that, then you just have to. And Cub is right, it's more about leverage than strength - I'm only 5 feet tall, but I have restrained kids a foot taller than me.
    Well sure, but like I said above - you guys are specially trained for this stuff. I don't kow many parents that are.

Well sure, but like I said above - you guys are specially trained for this stuff. I don't kow many parents that are.
    It's okay, you can call us badasses if you want
    The following users like this post: OUMallen

My mom would use one of those orange, plastic hot wheels tracks.
    5 users like tfoolry's post: jdmt37, OUMallen, Section31, soonerbornsoonerbrett, suncoastsooner

Originally Posted by tfoolry View Post
    A neighbor's mom would use a fly swatter on her kid. I mean she would go to TOWN on hims arms and back. She looked like a damn cutting horse to direct him where she wanted him to go. SWATSWATSWAT on the left shoulder to turn him toward the door, SWATSWATSWAT on the center of the back to get him moving down the hall.

That guy was real-deal trouble though. I wonder how he turned out as an adult.

Originally Posted by tfoolry View Post
    Those ****ers would sure leave welps. I shudder to think about how bad my dad would've beat me if i had acted like that kid. I would've been beaten, then he would've worked my ass off on our land.

Originally Posted by jdmt37 View Post
    Those ****ers would sure leave welps. I shudder to think about how bad my dad would've beat me if i had acted like that kid. I would've been beaten, then he would've worked my ass off on our land.

Well this is the thing, back then we knew our dad could beat the living daylights out of us so we had some respect and behaved, today kids don't care and know if a parent lifts a hand they can call child services and or the police and so they get away with all this crap... !!!

Every child is different and will respond differently to categories of discipline... whether it's "time out" or an old-fashioned spanking. Parents need to figure out what works best with each of their kids. Consistency is key (and also one of the greatest challenges).

Originally Posted by suncoastsooner View Post
    Believe me I understand most of that. Not necessarily about the gender specific parts but I am one of nine siblings; oldest and only male. Two of my younger sisters were complete delinquents (one the closest in age to me). No matter what the adults tried they defied it from an early age.
    Pics of all your sisters !

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    With these?

The following users like this post: McRib

I'm glad I never did anything stupid as a teenager

A neighbor's mom would use a fly swatter on her kid. I mean she would go to TOWN on hims arms and back. She looked like a damn cutting horse to direct him where she wanted him to go. SWATSWATSWAT on the left shoulder to turn him toward the door, SWATSWATSWAT on the center of the back to get him moving down the hall.

That guy was real-deal trouble though. I wonder how he turned out as an adult.

The truth is, my first physical restraint was my first day on a psych unit--I wasn't even in scrubs. I had no clue what I was doing (beyond grabbing a kid that was jumping up and down on another's nuts while her friend was slamming him between the door and wall and tossing her and her friend across the room to keep them from killing the little punk.) That was the old days though.

The truth is, my first physical restraint was my first day on a psych unit--I wasn't even in scrubs. I had no clue what I was doing (beyond grabbing a kid that was jumping up and down on another's nuts while her friend was slamming him between the door and wall and tossing her and her friend across the room to keep them from killing the little punk.) That was the old days though.
    Ha, the good ol days.
    The following users like this post: oucub23