Romney’s Government-Assisted Transition: $8.9 Million

Posted 487 day(s) ago 852 Views 30 Replies
    vCash

By Katy SteinmetzDec. 19, 2012

One of the less scintillating milestones of the 2012 election was marked by the General Services Administration, when Mitt Romney became the first candidate to take advantage of the Presidential Transition Act of 2010. The Act, spearheaded by former Sen. Ted Kaufman, provides resources for major candidates to start planning for their presidency long before Election Day. Through a Freedom of Information Act request, TIME acquired documents from the GSA that show the scope–and cost–of this unprecedented government-assisted transition.

In 2010, legislators said the main goal of the Act was to bolster national security by ensuring that candidates are prepared to take office, and that they don’t shy away from transition planning for fear that they’ll look presumptuous. To that end, the law stipulates that the federal government will provide certain resources to non-incumbent candidates after their nominating convention. The GSA says final costs are still being tabulated, but the initial estimated cost for Romney’s pre-transition phase is around $8.9 million.

The design, construction and space planning for the Romney team’s office space, which took up multiple floors in the Mary E. Switzer building a couple miles from the White House, cost about $2.5 million. The furniture bill came in around $740,000, and basics like office supplies cost about $30,000. The biggest chunk by far came from communications and related hardware. Items such as IT services, computer equipment and cell phones cost $5.6 million. The GSA noted that some of the resources would be recycled; Dell Latitude Laptops bought for Romney’s 500-strong transition team, for example, will be used by other parts of the federal government. Rent charges were waived by the GSA, as they traditionally are for transition teams during the President-Elect phase.

vCash

Cool stuff. What's your point?

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    Cool stuff. What's your point?
    That Romney took welfare/entitlements/whatever else you want to call it just like the very people all of us fiscal conservatives(including me) love to complain about. Just many many times over.

I guess, he's also a poser alongwith being a loser.

Originally Posted by URNotserious View Post
    That Romney took welfare/entitlements/whatever else you want to call it just like the very people all of us fiscal conservatives(including me) love to complain about. Just many many times over.

In 2010, legislators said the main goal of the Act was to bolster national security by ensuring that candidates are prepared to take office, and that they don’t shy away from transition planning for fear that they’ll look presumptuous. To that end, the law stipulates that the federal government will provide certain resources to non-incumbent candidates after their nominating convention. The GSA says final costs are still being tabulated, but the initial estimated cost for Romney’s pre-transition phase is around $8.9 million.

That's welfare now?

**** you that's bullshit, Obama won deal with it!!

Signed. BM
    The following users like this post: ThievingMagpie

[QUOTE=boomermagic;1001663] To that end, the law stipulates that the federal government will provide certain resources to non-incumbent candidates after their nominating convention. The GSA says final costs are still being tabulated, but the initial estimated cost for Romney’s pre-transition phase is around $8.9 million.

"The law stipulates" ... to me, doesn't sound like Romney had any choice in the matter. Nor will any future nominee, no matter which party they represent.

vCash

Re: Romney’s Government-Assisted Transition: $8.9 Million

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post

That's welfare now?
    He is a beyond rich and did not need to take additional funds.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

vCash

I realize what you're saying. I was asking the OP since I'm doubting that was his thoughts on it.
    The following users like this post: URNotserious

That's welfare now?
    What do you call it when the federal government provides certain resources to the poor citizens of this country?

I realize what you're saying. I was asking the OP since I'm doubting that was his thoughts on it.
    He will have something anti Romney, pro Obama when in reality Obama would've done the same thing if places were switched.

**** these politicians.
    The following users like this post: Boognish

What do you call it when the federal government provides certain resources to the poor citizens of this country?
    When one is to have a smooth transition from one Presidency to another to insure the continuity of government, and the other is so someone can go get groceries, I'd call them completely different things.

Originally Posted by ltsooner View Post

"The law stipulates" ... to me, doesn't sound like Romney had any choice in the matter. Nor will any future nominee, no matter which party they represent.
    First of all I doubt that the law compels you to take the money, I could be wrong. Its happened before.

Secondly, if it is a law it seems to be very convenient on the part of law makers to push this cost down the throats of tax payers as a law where even the benefactor does not have a say.

However, just like TANF, unemployment and other government handouts there's always a choice.

When one is to have a smooth transition from one Presidency to another to insure the continuity of government, and the other is so someone can go get groceries, I'd call them completely different things.
    Like I said, cub if it is something where Romney had no choice then we cannot put the blame on him. But if this was a move to merely pass on the costs of campaigning to the US citizens it truly bothers me. Remember the buses that Obama bought whose costs were passed onto us.

vCash

My thinking is, Romney will most certainly reemberse the Government since he is so concerned about government spending.

Like I said, cub if it is something where Romney had no choice then we cannot put the blame on him. But if this was a move to merely pass on the costs of campaigning to the US citizens it truly bothers me. Remember the buses that Obama bought whose costs were passed onto us.
    I'm sick to death of the $$ involved in campaigns. I read today that Mullin's win in NE OK cost 1.6 million. This Romney thing just seems like grasping at straws to me though.
    The following users like this post: Boognish

vCash

He will have something anti Romney, pro Obama when in reality Obama would've done the same thing if places were switched.

**** these politicians.
    BOwe was too busy taking 40K a plate from millionaires to worry about that stuff.

It was Romney's choice.

SEC. 2. CERTAIN PRESIDENTIAL TRANSITION SERVICES MAY BE PROVIDED TO ELIGIBLE CANDIDATES BEFORE GENERAL ELECTION.
    (a) In General- Section 3 of the Presidential Transition Act of 1963 (3 U.S.C. 102 note) is amended by adding at the end the following new subsection:
    `(h)(1)(A) In the case of an eligible candidate, the Administrator--
    `(i) shall notify the candidate of the candidate's right to receive the services and facilities described in paragraph (2) and shall provide with such notice a description of the nature and scope of each such service and facility; and
    `(ii) upon notification by the candidate of which such services and facilities such candidate will accept, shall, notwithstanding subsection (b), provide such services and facilities to the candidate during the period beginning on the date of the notification and ending on the date of the general elections described in subsection (b)(1).
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/.../~c111a3AuBx::

vCash

For **** sake, Romney lost, the election is over (although somebody needs to tell Obama that), politicians are hypocrites, etc. Can we just go back to blaming Bush for the worlds' problems?
    The following users like this post: brokebacksooner

vCash

8.9 million dollars is a piss in the ocean compared to the total $$ spent by either campaign, and it looks like the biggest cost (technology) was somewhat recouped by recycling the computers and other equipment.

IDGAF.

vCash

Well here is a good article about Romney (just to pile on).

No wonder the ****er is rich.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...ign-bills.html

vCash

Originally Posted by Troker View Post
    8.9 million dollars is a piss in the ocean compared to the total $$ spent by either campaign, and it looks like the biggest cost (technology) was somewhat recouped by recycling the computers and other equipment.

IDGAF.
    Well shit. I'll take that "piss in the ocean."

Originally Posted by Dexa View Post
    Well shit. I'll take that "piss in the ocean."
    Win a party nomination.

vCash

Win a party nomination.
    I'll probably need a lot more piss.
    5 users like Dexa's post: brokebacksooner, jdmt37, oucub23, ThievingMagpie, Troker

Originally Posted by Dexa View Post
    I'll probably need a lot more piss.
    Drink more beer.

Always seems to work for me.

Drink more beer.

Always seems to work for me.
    If you drink enough that you wreck your car in a river, there's a chance you can make the Senate at least.

Re: Romney’s Government-Assisted Transition: $8.9 Million

If you drink enough that you wreck your car in a river, there's a chance you can make the Senate at least.
    Oh cool. Chappaquiddick is still a thing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

**** these politicians.
    This.
    I don't care if you're Democrat, Republican, whatever... by the time these guys get that far in politics there is a ton of money being spent on bullshit, and lots of underhanded deals to get them there.

vCash

vCash

Or if you run a stop sign and kill your ex-boyfriend, you can be first lady.

Originally Posted by Troker View Post
    Or if you run a stop sign and kill your ex-boyfriend, you can be first lady.
    I've got the wrong equipment to be First Lady.

I've got the wrong equipment to be First Lady.
    Wrong thread. We already have a thread about a man playing women's basketball. Please post there.
    2 users like URNotserious's post: oucub23, Sooner Bob