JUCO - Clue me in. What's the downside again?

Posted 618 day(s) ago 1387 Views 22 Replies

Besides 1/2 of them that come in aren't all that, what else is the downside? Based on past seasons of watching OU football (like 37 of) I've seen very few JUCO come right in, first day, and blow everyone at the position away. Seems to take awhile. Many are overrated, and some don't even make it. I remember the DT from Dixie Utah (JC) that came in with all-world accolades, and he wasn't worth a flying ****.

Add to this the coaches have to work their ever lovin' asses off flying all over the country to sign a 2 yr guy...

Discuss plz?

It's just like getting guys out of high school. Some pan out some don't.

Right on. But not having four years...that isn't a factor in your opinion?

Then again if the JUCO is a dud, you only have to carry him 2 years not 4 or 5.
    The following users like this post: meoveryouxinfinity

They usually don't do much, but you can hit paydirt with them, e.g., Heupel, Damien Williams, Cam Newton, Nick Fairley, Jesse Williams...

Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    Right on. But not having four years...that isn't a factor in your opinion?
    No

prolly more at risk for poor grades (theres a reason they went JUCO in the first place). you only get 2 years to coach em up and they only get 2 years to learn the system.

Originally Posted by sovasooner View Post
    They usually don't do much, but you can hit paydirt with them, e.g., Heupel, Damien Williams, Cam Newton, Nick Fairley, Jesse Williams...
    Great list. I didnt know that Nick Fairley was a JUCO. Damn good player.

They are older so physically more ready to play. We need better d-line now. Why put a 19 year old 4 months after prom up against ND, Texas, etc. when we can play a 21 year old that's been hitting the weights.
    The following users like this post: Tundra

Torrance Marshall anyone?
    The following users like this post: sovasooner

There used to be a lot more talent at the juco level. Now with the shift to prep schools, it's depleted some of the talent in juco. I think that leads to more misses. If a juco can't come in and immediately make a positive impact in the 2 deep, preferably as a starter, then it's not worth it.

Juco is great for taking a chance on trying to feel important spots. Coaches do get to evaluate them against better levels of talent. They've had two years of conditioning and playing time. I guess a negative might be they have less time to learn the "system". I think the good out ways the bad. I would say we can make a pretty good list of juco ou players. I will try to name a few that haven't already been mentioned.
    Roy Williams
    Cameron Kenny
    Phil Loadholt
    CJ Ah You
    Allen Patrick
    Lance Mitchell
    Pasha Jackson
    Okay, I really just looked these up but looks to me a lot of good can come from Juco.

Originally Posted by joshl View Post
    Juco is great for taking a chance on trying to feel important spots. Coaches do get to evaluate them against better levels of talent. They've had two years of conditioning and playing time. I guess a negative might be they have less time to learn the "system". I think the good out ways the bad. I would say we can make a pretty good list of juco ou players. I will try to name a few that haven't already been mentioned.
    Roy Williams
    Cameron Kenny
    Phil Loadholt
    CJ Ah You
    Allen Patrick
    Lance Mitchell
    Pasha Jackson
    Okay, I really just looked these up but looks to me a lot of good can come from Juco.
    Good list. Was Roy a juco? Didn't know that.

Remi Ayodele was a juco, no?

btw, did the safety we were all creaming over last year (can't remember his name) get any PT at USC?

Gerald Bowman, didn't start at safety. Is expected to start if McDonald declares for the draft.
    The following users like this post: sovasooner

Roy Williams was not a JUCO.

Good list. Was Roy a juco? Didn't know that.

Remi Ayodele was a juco, no?
    Yep; went to NEO.

A few more good ones off the top of my head:

Matt O'Neal
    Howard Duncan
    Cory Heinecke
    Stockar McDougle
    Donte Nicholson
    Lane Johnson

They help teams out more then hurt them. Ask all the damn SEC schools how they like Juco defensive players. Every one of them is loaded with them.

Issue with Jucos is WHEN they get on campus and if they can adapt to a new playbook in a short time. Also you erode your program if you take to many and you miss. Ron Prince did the juco route and failed, Bill Snyder however doesn't. its coaching and player development + luck

I was thinking Roy was Juco, sorry for the miss info.

Roy was recruited by John Bleak out of Union, CA, along with a teammate, a wide receiver whose name I forgot.

Originally Posted by 3xt View Post
    Roy was recruited by John Bleak out of Union, CA, along with a teammate, a wide receiver whose name I forgot.
    Damien Mackey?

Yeah Damien Mackey was from Northern Cal; same HS team, Bay Area I believe.

Looking at the guys listed we've actually done a lot better than I realized with JUCOs. I don't remember Switzer having a group like Stoops has had from JCs. Also too I think most of these JCs had some pretty solid offers to a D1 they just didn't make grades or whatever.