Collinsville OK Wrestling

Posted 483 day(s) ago 3316 Views 39 Replies
Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1

    Collinsville OK Wrestling

    I went and watched my 1st dual last night and man those guys are legit. Some D-1 wrestlers on there for sure.

  2. #2
    61sooner's Avatar
    Posts
    1,583
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA

    Is OU recruiting Oklahoma heavily or are they looking mostly out-of-state? Has the rest of the country caught and pass Oklahoma HS wrestling?

  3. #3
    NortheastOK_Sooner's Avatar
    Posts
    794
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Oklahoma

    Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    I went and watched my 1st dual last night and man those guys are legit. Some D-1 wrestlers on there for sure.
    Who did they wrestle?

  4. #4
    NortheastOK_Sooner's Avatar
    Posts
    794
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Oklahoma

    Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Is OU recruiting Oklahoma heavily or are they looking mostly out-of-state? Has the rest of the country caught and pass Oklahoma HS wrestling?
    I don't know about your first question and how OU is recruiting. I can tell you this, Oklahoma is still one of the best wrestling states, IMO. You have Pennsylvania, Iowa, and some other states, but I would put Oklahoma in the top 5 in HS wrestling. You still get a lot of wrestlers going D-1 in OK.

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Is OU recruiting Oklahoma heavily or are they looking mostly out-of-state? Has the rest of the country caught and pass Oklahoma HS wrestling?
    You know that is a great question. I dont belive OU is recruiting any of these kids, and as far as oklahoma, Garcia his from Choctaw...but I really dont know. Collinsville has a kid that I believe is going to Stanford, and they have a JR that I bet goes to OSU and a sophmore that will go any where in the country if he stays healthy..i think he is a soph, might be a JR. Trust me, I try to talk OU alot around them...but hell now the new fad is Cornell.

    They wrestled Neosho

  6. #6
    suncoastsooner's Avatar
    Posts
    5,327
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Destin, Florida

    Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    You know that is a great question. I dont belive OU is recruiting any of these kids, and as far as oklahoma, Garcia his from Choctaw...but I really dont know. Collinsville has a kid that I believe is going to Stanford, and they have a JR that I bet goes to OSU and a sophmore that will go any where in the country if he stays healthy.i think he is a soph, might be a JR. Trust me, I try to talk OU alot around them...but hell now the new fad is Cornell.

    They wrestled Neosho
    Are you talking about Davion Jeffries? I have heard a lot about that kid even out here in Florida.

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by suncoastsooner View Post
    Are you talking about Davion Jeffries? I have heard a lot about that kid even out here in Florida.
    yes. Suncoast, I have been part of wrestling in some way since I was 5 years old...and this kid is special. as a freshman he was top 10 in the nation. If you look at him he doesnt look the part..very thin, but is flexable as hell. Now, you want me to tell you the next great coming out, is gonna be Aaron Pico. Google that name. He beats a kid from Collinsville in the finals of a big tourney, google Pico vs Gary Wayne Harding of Collinsville. Harding is one of the kids from Cville that will go D1 he will be a 4 time state champ here and Pico walks through him.

  8. #8
    suncoastsooner's Avatar
    Posts
    5,327
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Destin, Florida

    Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    yes. Suncoast, I have been part of wrestling in some way since I was 5 years old...and this kid is special. as a freshman he was top 10 in the nation. If you look at him he doesnt look the part..very thin, but is flexable as hell. Now, you want me to tell you the next great coming out, is gonna be Aaron Pico. Google that name. He beats a kid from Collinsville in the finals of a big tourney, google Pico vs Gary Wayne Harding of Collinsville. Harding is one of the kids from Cville that will go D1 he will be a 4 time state champ here and Pico walks through him.
    I definitely already know who Aaron Pico is. Kid is only a Freshman but has already won the triple crown at Cadet Nationals as well as murdering the competition at the Iron Man tournament in Ohio.

    I know the match you're talking about as well. Have seen it before. It was the freestyle final at Cadet Nationals; it was Pico's 2nd title at the event on his way to the triple. He looked just as impressive in Folkstyle as well.
    The following users like this post: mavsfan31


  9. #9
    yeah Pico is legit...bet he ends up at Penn St. Another kid coming through that is young, is a kid out of Cali, Cade Olivias. We see him all the time at all the national tourneys...real deal there too.

  10. #10
    61sooner's Avatar
    Posts
    1,583
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA

    Why can't OU get these type of kids?

  11. #11
    suncoastsooner's Avatar
    Posts
    5,327
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Destin, Florida

    Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    yeah Pico is legit...bet he ends up at Penn St. Another kid coming through that is young, is a kid out of Cali, Cade Olivias. We see him all the time at all the national tourneys...real deal there too.
    St. John Bosco always has between three and five kids that will be D1 level wrestlers every year.

    I'd really like to see Blair Academy or St. Edward in Ohio's teams on the mat.

    Brandon here in Florida is vastly overrated.

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Why can't OU get these type of kids?
    I think tradition plays a huge part in it, and honestly wrestling is not that big here. It use to be...my kids all wrestle, my son wrestles in all national tourneys including Reno worlds...and I see more Cali, PA, Iowa, and Ohio kids than anywhere else. THIS IS MY opinion. I think Cody will do a good job he is a helluva a recuiter...I do think in time we could be a team that is mentioned at the top. Penn St, Iowa and OK state, will be hard to compete with...
    The following users like this post: suncoastsooner


  13. #13
    Originally Posted by suncoastsooner View Post
    St. John Bosco always has between three and five kids that will be D1 level wrestlers every year.

    I'd really like to see Blair Academy or St. Edward in Ohio's teams on the mat.

    Brandon here in Florida is vastly overrated.
    Bosco- is that the school that had the 2 brothers that were studs..went to Ohio St and I think one of them broke their neck last year or got hurt and ended his career? there was a movie about them I think....Blair Academy, Scott Schlucter from Edmond North went up there years ago...that is one helluva wrestling school....

  14. #14
    61sooner's Avatar
    Posts
    1,583
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA

    Kinda sad that my years at OU, 57-61 Wrestling was the 2nd sport behind football. Now in threads like this only 4 or 5 people have any interest in posting. Maybe wrestling needs some marketing at OU. Have a Danny Hodge night, then another with the remaining Schultz brother etc. Try and drum up some enthusiasm among the students. There should be some fan base from the kids who went to HSs where there were wrestling programs.

  15. #15
    suncoastsooner's Avatar
    Posts
    5,327
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Destin, Florida

    Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    I think tradition plays a huge part in it, and honestly wrestling is not that big here. It use to be...my kids all wrestle, my son wrestles in all national tourneys including Reno worlds...and I see more Cali, PA, Iowa, and Ohio kids than anywhere else. THIS IS MY opinion. I think Cody will do a good job he is a helluva a recuiter...I do think in time we could be a team that is mentioned at the top. Penn St, Iowa and OK state, will be hard to compete with...
    OU has great wrestling tradition. Only Oklahoma State and Iowa have more titles. The problem is that people in the area have lost interest at the lower levels and the sport has migrated up to the midwest.

    OU also does a very poor job of supporting the program both in regards to the fans and the athletic department.

  16. #16
    suncoastsooner's Avatar
    Posts
    5,327
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Destin, Florida

    Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    Bosco- is that the school that had the 2 brothers that were studs..went to Ohio St and I think one of them broke their neck last year or got hurt and ended his career? there was a movie about them I think....Blair Academy, Scott Schlucter from Edmond North went up there years ago...that is one helluva wrestling school....
    I think that was St. Edwards who I also mentioned in my post.

    Bosco is where Pico and Zahid Valencia go to school. If you haven't seen Valencia wrestle you should because he is dominant as well.

    Blair Academy is just unreal with talent every year; they probably have nine or ten kids who will wrestle at the D1 level on their squad this year alone. They have a couple kids on their team who are already committed to Penn State, Ohio State, Illinois, Army, and Penn. They have six or seven other kids who are underclassmen who are already being chased very hard by major programs.

  17. #17
    suncoastsooner's Avatar
    Posts
    5,327
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Destin, Florida

    Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Kinda sad that my years at OU, 57-61 Wrestling was the 2nd sport behind football. Now in threads like this only 4 or 5 people have any interest in posting. Maybe wrestling needs some marketing at OU. Have a Danny Hodge night, then another with the remaining Schultz brother etc. Try and drum up some enthusiasm among the students. There should be some fan base from the kids who went to HSs where there were wrestling programs.

    I went to a lot of Duals when I was at OU and they were still in the LNC. The place was virtually empty. People were only in the stands when it was OSU and 3/4 of them were in Orange. Even when we faced off against schools like Penn State and Iowa State the place was a ghost town. It made me very sad to see.

  18. #18
    Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Kinda sad that my years at OU, 57-61 Wrestling was the 2nd sport behind football. Now in threads like this only 4 or 5 people have any interest in posting. Maybe wrestling needs some marketing at OU. Have a Danny Hodge night, then another with the remaining Schultz brother etc. Try and drum up some enthusiasm among the students. There should be some fan base from the kids who went to HSs where there were wrestling programs.
    it is very sad. IMO wrestling is the toughest sport to compete in period. LOTS of blood, sweat and tears in this sport, but people here just dont buy into it for some reason. Unlike many other sports, if you dont work at it, you will be exposed. My oldest son has not had a lot of success, but like I tell him, if you compete in this sport, you will be mentally tough to handle anything thrown your way in life. I know at Iowa and Penn St the stands are packed. Youth programs are the feeders, and they grow up loving the sport. Here you have to really take them nationally to see what is out there and get the best competition...again Just my opinion

  19. #19

    Collinsville OK Wrestling

    Collinsville has a kid that I believe is a 2 time state champ. I coach with his sister. Her name is Hillary. Do you know who I am talking about?

  20. #20
    Originally Posted by soonerprices View Post
    Collinsville has a kid that I believe is a 2 time state champ. I coach with his sister. Her name is Hillary. Do you know who I am talking about?
    Collinsville has a few 2x'rs right now. Gary Wayne is going for 3, I THOUGHT Davion Jefferies was a 2x'er, and I think Steltzen is a 2'er...Did I hit anyo fo them?

  21. #21

    Collinsville OK Wrestling

    Honestly I don't know. The kid has another brother that plays basketball for Glenpool, I think. I think he is a lighter weight kid. He has several siblings. The youngest is a little sister that is about 3 and his oldest sibling is mid to late 20's. when we get back to school ill have to ask her his name.

  22. #22
    Originally Posted by soonerprices View Post
    Honestly I don't know. The kid has another brother that plays basketball for Glenpool, I think. I think he is a lighter weight kid. He has several siblings. The youngest is a little sister that is about 3 and his oldest sibling is mid to late 20's. when we get back to school ill have to ask her his name.
    you have me curious now....where do you coach at? Well, if you want to say....

  23. #23

    Collinsville OK Wrestling

    Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    you have me curious now....where do you coach at? Well, if you want to say....
    Luther

  24. #24
    hey wasnt there a guy that was on sports animal morning a few years back from Luther? Again, could be wrong...

  25. #25

    Collinsville OK Wrestling

    Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    hey wasnt there a guy that was on sports animal morning a few years back from Luther? Again, could be wrong...
    Yeah. Pork. He does the PA from time to time our bball games.

  26. #26
    Originally Posted by soonerprices View Post
    Yeah. Pork. He does the PA from time to time our bball games.
    man you are on fire....you have all the answers.

  27. #27
    dallasstars10's Avatar
    Posts
    1,948
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Oklahoma

    maybe i'll have to go to a OU match sometime. my dad wrestled in high school and I try to catch some wrestling on tv whenever it is on. i just don't really know the rules or anything..someone wanna explain for a newbie?

  28. #28
    suncoastsooner's Avatar
    Posts
    5,327
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Destin, Florida

    Originally Posted by dallasstars10 View Post
    maybe i'll have to go to a OU match sometime. my dad wrestled in high school and I try to catch some wrestling on tv whenever it is on. i just don't really know the rules or anything..someone wanna explain for a newbie?
    You like the B1G network then . . . don't say that out loud near the Big12 front offices though.

  29. #29
    Originally Posted by dallasstars10 View Post
    maybe i'll have to go to a OU match sometime. my dad wrestled in high school and I try to catch some wrestling on tv whenever it is on. i just don't really know the rules or anything..someone wanna explain for a newbie?
    I see where Suncoast is going...Big Ten Network has wrestling matches all the time. They just had midland nationals on last night. It is a good place to start. My boys are wrestling in the USJOC this weekend in OKC, start wrestling Friday AM and end Saturday Night...there will be some good wrestling there....

  30. #30
    dallasstars10's Avatar
    Posts
    1,948
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Oklahoma

    Originally Posted by suncoastsooner View Post
    You like the B1G network then . . . don't say that out loud near the Big12 front offices though.
    No i catch them on Fox Sports when OSU or OU or some high schools are wrestling!

  31. #31
    Palmbeachsooner's Avatar
    Posts
    5,201
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Jupiter, Florida

    Re: Collinsville OK Wrestling

    Wraslin? Lol

  32. #32
    Originally Posted by Palmbeachsooner View Post
    Wraslin? Lol
    is there a joke in there somewhere?

  33. #33
    Palmbeachsooner's Avatar
    Posts
    5,201
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Jupiter, Florida

    Re: Collinsville OK Wrestling

    Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    is there a joke in there somewhere?
    Wraslin aint no joke! It's serious business! (Dudes rolling around grabbing other dude's crotches)

  34. #34
    Originally Posted by Palmbeachsooner View Post
    Wraslin aint no joke! It's serious business! (Dudes rolling around grabbing other dude's crotches)
    yep you got it...

  35. #35
    61sooner's Avatar
    Posts
    1,583
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA

    Lost to N Iowa, Ugly. Was the 6-0 loss a major decision since N. Iowa got 6 team points. What are the point count rules on a major decison?

  36. #36

    Collinsville OK Wrestling

    Collinsville in Yukon this weekend.

  37. #37
    Are you going?

  38. #38
    61sooner's Avatar
    Posts
    1,583
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA

    Two dual losses over the weekend for OU grapplers. Lester brothers could have won VATech for us. The 174 up to Hwt. are really weak at OU. Maybe in the tournaments Maples can carry us to a decent point total. Really disappointed in the new coach but maybe Spates left a mess, don't know.

  39. #39
    Straz1999's Avatar
    Posts
    371
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Yorktown, VA

    Who is in on the Dixon triplets from Edmond North? Would be nice to see them come to Norman. Also, I saw some GREAT wrestling up here at the Virginia Duals about a month ago, a TON of nationally ranked talent. Joey Dance and Zach Epperly from Christiansburg, VA, Scott Delvecchio, Anthony Ashnault and Troy Heilmann from South Plainfield, NJ, just to name a few. It was pretty awesome to see, ended up seeing some nationally ranked kids face eachother.
    There was a high school team from Colorado wrestling a team from Virginia. It was the day of the Broncos and Ravens game. The kid from Colorado was heavily favored, but only winning by 1 point in the second when his coach screamed at him "Turn him over!!! We gotta go watch Peyton Manning and the Broncos in three hours!!" Twenty seconds later, that kid was turned on his back and pinned. All of us at the scorers table were laughing uncontrollably.

  40. #40

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 11th, 2014, 02:50 PM
  2. Big 12 wrestling: Cowboys win Big 12 Wrestling Championship
    By Jenni 5 in forum Bob Barry's Press Box
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 10th, 2013, 12:50 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 12th, 2013, 01:58 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 28th, 2012, 07:30 PM