Schmitty!!

Posted 484 day(s) ago by usaosooner8983 Views 110 Replies
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    How do you explain that this issue just keeps coming up?
    We don’t hear about this type of issue going on elsewhere do we?
    So you're saying that OU is the only school that produces NFL players that have the injury bug?

vCash

Originally Posted by Julz View Post
    So you're saying that OU is the only school that produces NFL players that have the injury bug?
    I am not saying anything…… except we have been hearing about this for about ten years…
    and that I don’t remember hearing of this type of allegation going on anywhere else.

Schmitty plays LB for BUY?

vCash

Originally Posted by ElDiablo View Post
    That is completely false, neither guy works out with Jerry in the offseason. AD works out in Houston as well as in Minnesota with the Vikings staff & Gerald works with Todd Durkin in San Diego every chance he gets. The myth that ex-Sooner NFL athletes head back to work with Schmitty is just wrong. The only guys who do so are free agents & practice squad types who aren't under contract with teams during the offseason.

It's hard to hear stories of some of the things Schmitty has done to players, continue the exact same back & knee injury issues hamper OU player after OU player, than hear what some former Sooners have to say concerning Jerry & how his training wore their body down & not think there may be an issue. It's tough to have the best S&C staff you can have when you have a head S&C coach that doesn't know anything about science to the point he almost doesn't believe in it.
    Great post
    Please post more

That is completely false, neither guy works out with Jerry in the offseason. AD works out in Houston as well as in Minnesota with the Vikings staff & Gerald works with Todd Durkin in San Diego every chance he gets. The myth that ex-Sooner NFL athletes head back to work with Schmitty is just wrong. The only guys who do so are free agents & practice squad types who aren't under contract with teams during the offseason.

It's hard to hear stories of some of the things Schmitty has done to players, continue the exact same back & knee injury issues hamper OU player after OU player, than hear what some former Sooners have to say concerning Jerry & how his training wore their body down & not think there may be an issue. It's tough to have the best S&C staff you can have when you have a head S&C coach that doesn't know anything about science to the point he almost doesn't believe in it.
    This is all probably true, but really there is no way for us to know until Meni puts it on his AD stalker website or sees it on some random guys twitter

vCash

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    For someone who graduated from OU, Blevins sure seems to have some animosity towards OU. He never talks up OU. He's always looking to tear us down. Most of his info is bogus.
    Dean played for Barry Switzer he knows what a real coach is and he knows Bob is draging OU down and that we will never win a NC as long as bob is there. Some of you don't believe this but after next season many will.

vCash

Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    Dean played for Barry Switzer he knows what a real coach is and he knows Bob is draging OU down and that we will never win a NC as long as bob is there. Some of you don't believe this but after next season many will.
    Bob is a very good coach but he needs to hire Switzer as recruiting co-ordinator. Bob is too honest to be a good recruiter. Just my take.

vCash

How did you all feel about Switzer between 81-83?
    The following users like this post: Coach

Schmitty!!

Would be interesting if El Diablo came back with something more tangible on his claims.

vCash

Originally Posted by beelzeBob View Post
    I have always had faith in Barry. I knew he would win another NC back then and he did. I don't feel the same or have the same confidence about Bob. Yes, Bob IS a good coach but I don't see it happening again for Bob. I hope I am wrong, I swear I do but not likely.

vCash

Bob is responsible for his assistants.. BLAME THE RESPONSIBLE MILLION DOLLAR{S} MAKER !

I think Coach Schmidt is a big part of the problem in Norman but he's the most sacred cow there is. It seems to me that our S&C program under him is self defeating. That's just my humble opinion.

Shh that's something that doesn't get discussed around here. In some peoples eyes Switzer never lost a ****ing game in the history of ever
    The following users like this post: OUCarlton

Switzer Schedule

As a part of that 1985 team I can tell you we thank the lord a lot that Miami threw out such a stinker in the Sugar Bowl against Tennessee. Had that not happened there would have been no MNC that year.
    Coach Switzer was great and all but his teams came up with some pretty horrible losses as well. I mean it's not like Switzer's teams only lost to 1 loss or undefeated teams!

1975 a 23-3 loss to a 7-5 KU team in Norman
    '76 tied a 5-5-1 TExas team and lost to a 9-3 OSU team and an 8-4 Colorado team.
    '77 A total tail kicking in the OB vs Arkansas and was embarrassed by their 2nd team RB.
    '80 Pounded by a 6-5 Stanford Team and lost to a 7-5 Texas Team
    '81 lost to 4 teams with a combined 11 losses and also tied a 5-5-1 Iowa State team.
    '82 Lost at home to 3 loss West Va and 3 loss USC (Shut out) Also lost to Neb and ASU at the end of the season
    '83 Loss at home to a 3 loss Ohio State team, shut out by a 7-5 Missouri team and then added losses to Texas and Nebraska.
    '84 After a heartbreaking tie at the Cotton Bowl Switzer's team gets routed by a 7-4-1 KU team and then get embarrassed by Washington, in what would have possibly given them a MNC, in the OB.
    '88 Another loss at USC and then a huge lack of offense to finish off the season with 2 losses.
    5 users like sportsproducer's post: beelzeBob, Chuvan, DHF, oilmud, Soonerlife

Originally Posted by sportsproducer View Post
    As a part of that 1985 team I can tell you we thank the lord a lot that Miami threw out such a stinker in the Sugar Bowl against Tennessee. Had that not happened there would have been no MNC that year.
    Coach Switzer was great and all but his teams came up with some pretty horrible losses as well. I mean it's not like Switzer's teams only lost to 1 loss or undefeated teams!

'76 tied a 5-5-1 TExas team and lost to a 9-3 OSU team and an 8-4 Colorado team.
    '77 A total tail kicking in the OB vs Arkansas and was embarrassed by their 2nd team RB.
    '81 lost to 4 teams with a combined 11 losses and also tied a 5-5-1 Iowa State team.
    '82 Lost at home to 3 loss West Va and 3 loss USC (Shut out) Also lost to Neb and ASU at the end of the season
    '83 Loss at home to a 3 loss Ohio State team, shut out by a 7-5 Missouri team and then added losses to Texas and Nebraska.
    '84 After a heartbreaking tie at the Cotton Bowl Switzer's team gets routed by a 7-4-1 KU team and then get embarrassed by Washington, in what would have possibly given them a MNC, in the OB.
    '88 Another loss at USC and then a huge lack of offense to finish off the season with 2 losses.
    I WISH KU had had that good of a record that year because it would've been a a little bit easier living up here w/ them had we at least lost to a good team. They finished 5-6 that year though, & FWIW, only Wichita State (who would go on to discontinue their program 2 years later) scored fewer points against them that the 11 OU put up.

vCash

Originally Posted by xunil View Post
    Are there any metrics that show his methods or even that OU players in general are more likely to be injured?
    What are you kidding me? You want actual proof, instead of a report from a highly qualified, well respected local sports reporter that is based on supposition, innuendo, oh and of course rumour?
    The following users like this post: Sooner209

lets be honest, there have been SEVERAL players that have claimed this. I am not saying its true, but it seems odd

vCash

You should have stopped after Switzer was great !

vCash

Originally Posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
    I WISH KU had had that good of a record that year because it would've been a a little bit easier living up here w/ them had we at least lost to a good team. They finished 5-6 that year though, & FWIW, only Wichita State (who would go on to discontinue their program 2 years later) scored fewer points against them that the 11 OU put up.
    I think that KU victory was Barry's first loss and his THIRD season as head coach ! ! ! ****ING AMAZING !

Soonerproducer who are you?

Schmitty!!

I think that KU victory was Barry's first loss and his THIRD season as head coach ! ! ! ****ING AMAZING !
    What happened after he got his own players in there?

Sorry...I couldn't resist.

vCash

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    What happened after he got his own players in there?

Sorry...I couldn't resist.
    No problem, I'll be glad to answer that.. In the first place Barry recruited most of those really good players you don't consider his.. He was the OC and best recruiter OU had before becoming HC.. Oh, What happened after the KU loss ? Barry's team finished the season ranked number 1 and won a NC. That's what happened. I couldn't resist either..

Schmitty!!

No problem, I'll be glad to answer that.. In the first place Barry recruited most of those really good players you don't consider his.. He was the OC and best recruiter OU had before becoming HC.. Oh, What happened after the KU loss ? Barry's team finished the season ranked number 1 and won a NC. That's what happened. I couldn't resist either..
    Everyone gives Bob shit about 'winning with Blake's players'. Not sure why you got all defensive. It was a joke. You seem angry.

vCash

Everyone gives Bob shit about 'winning with Blake's players'. Not sure why you got all defensive. It was a joke. You seem angry.
    I guess it's because it's typed on a msg. board but not at all angry.. Sorry.

Originally Posted by OUMick View Post
    Soonerproducer who are you?
    I\m Batman!!!

Sorry, I just had to do it! :-)

Schmitty!!

Good. Have a Merry Christmas.

Switzer never stopped being great! We are still very good friends and he would be a great coach today. But even he will tell you that college football today is completely different than it was 37 years ago. Scholarship limitations, added funding to HIgh School programs as well as more practice time, camps, player development which begins at a much younger age. The big 12 has evolved form the old Big 8/Big 12 days. I'm not sure its for the better either.
    The SEC gets credit for being a great conference however the offense they run is very generic and run oriented. You are able to play defense a completely different way. I look at Oklahoma now in the same way folks looked at them from 1980 - 1983. They recruited some very good skill position players but did not have the depth at LB or DL/OL fronts. The run game at times were shut down. In '84 the front were better but in '85 we had plenty of depth. Tony C goes down at NG and boom Curtis Williams/Richard Davis comes in and plays quality minutes. However other than the WAC teams very few teams threw the ball more than 12 - 15 times a game. Now in the Big 12 you throw the ball 45 and complete 40 of them. The problem with the Big 12 today is that they don't follow the age old rule: "You throw the ball to score and run the ball to win" Not sure how Coach would do in this age of football but he was a great one. With that being said according to how some describe him on this board his teams definitely lost to some teams they should not have lost to. Please see list above.
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

vCash

Switzer never stopped being great! We are still very good friends and he would be a great coach today. But even he will tell you that college football today is completely different than it was 37 years ago. Scholarship limitations, added funding to HIgh School programs as well as more practice time, camps, player development which begins at a much younger age. The big 12 has evolved form the old Big 8/Big 12 days. I'm not sure its for the better either.
    The SEC gets credit for being a great conference however the offense they run is very generic and run oriented. You are able to play defense a completely different way. I look at Oklahoma now in the same way folks looked at them from 1980 - 1983. They recruited some very good skill position players but did not have the depth at LB or DL/OL fronts. The run game at times were shut down. In '84 the front were better but in '85 we had plenty of depth. Tony C goes down at NG and boom Curtis Williams/Richard Davis comes in and plays quality minutes. However other than the WAC teams very few teams threw the ball more than 12 - 15 times a game. Now in the Big 12 you throw the ball 45 and complete 40 of them. The problem with the Big 12 today is that they don't follow the age old rule: "You throw the ball to score and run the ball to win" Not sure how Coach would do in this age of football but he was a great one. With that being said according to how some describe him on this board his teams definitely lost to some teams they should not have lost to. Please see list above.
    When did we lose Lacewell. I'm thinking there was a drop off after he left. ?

Originally Posted by OkieforOU View Post
    When did we lose Lacewell. I'm thinking there was a drop off after he left. ?
    Before the 78 Orange Bowl when he found out Switzer was banging his wife.

a very well respected orthopedic surgeon told a very good friend that in his opinion schmitty's program puts too much stress on joints thereby weakin g both connective tissue and eventually muscles .

and yes ..........he is untouchable and other schools use him against us

vCash

Originally Posted by nisakat2 View Post
    a very well respected orthopedic surgeon told a very good friend that in his opinion schmitty's program puts too much stress on joints thereby weakin g both connective tissue and eventually muscles .

Still, a very interesting comment.

Originally Posted by nisakat2 View Post

Please explain why he is untouchable.

it is the opinion of many who have connections to the program , that bob would resign before axing mike or schmitty

vCash

Pretty sure Pooh Tennel comes back to hang with Jer.

Wrong. Read SP's post again.

Schmitty must go. Hurting not helping overall.

BoomerMagic- please read and re-read SportsProducer's messages, then shut the **** up. COLLEGE FOOTBALL HAS CHANGED TODAY EVEN SWITZER SAYS THAT....how about them apples you dumb ass.

vCash

I had you figured for one of those media guys that never liked Barry and wanted him out and ran him down in the press his entire career. I was wrong. You have my respect sir. BTW, Were you in television ? Now, On the subject of scholly limitations I don't see that as a big disadvantage. The teams Barry coached against had the same advantages as his team as far as schollys and the Teams Bob play have the same as he does. It was basically an even playing field then and now.

vCash

Originally Posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
    Wrong. Read SP's post again.
    1975 KU beat OU 23- 3 .. That was Barry's first loss and his 3rd. yr. as OU's head coach.We all know we won the NC in 75. That is correct. If he was referring to the other KU loss I stand corrected on that ..

vCash

Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    BoomerMagic- please read and re-read SportsProducer's messages, then shut the **** up. COLLEGE FOOTBALL HAS CHANGED TODAY EVEN SWITZER SAYS THAT....how about them apples you dumb ass.
    Go jerk off to your muscle mags you ****ing queer ! BTW, PLEASE **** OFF !

I never worked in front of the camera only behind it. I have a face made for radio ! :-)

I still do work for several Bowl games and from time to time ESPN and Fox and have done most of my work with NFL and MLB games. I have decided to take a stab at working in the film industry as of late. I walked on in 1985 and have kept a great relationship with Coach Switzer ever since. What scholarship limitations did was only part of what has changed college football. The other item and it's one that neither Coach Switzer or Coach Dolley rarely get credit for and that is how the TV money is distributed back to the schools and not all going to the conferences or staying with the NCAA and the Networks. As ESPN and Fox grew up and started airing more games this created the environment of more schools receiving money for TV appearances.
    Also how you can recruit, contact players and their families etc has helped even the playing field. Remember coaches used to hide kids out in hotels from other coaches sometimes so to guarantee their signature on signing day. But the biggest thing that has happened is evident the week after the Bowl games. There are multiple high school all american games going on, many of these players were first recognized in the many amps that take place. Many more high school programs have more money for player development which begins at he lower Junior High Level now as opposed to 20 years ago when it truly began when they reach the 11th grade on most occasions. Coach Switzer recently stated on Fox Sports Southwest Interview that the number of quality players in high school now is roughly 400 times greater than when he was coach.

vCash

all this is from memory, The 88 USC team we lost to was a damn good team.. We had a bunch of sophmores trying to stop their great Rb and they had a pretty good receiver in that game as well.Lynn Swann. They also had an AA D back I believe. It was a very close game decided on the last play of the game IF we are talking about the same game ? Yes, We should have won a NC and lost to Wa. in 84 but did in 85. In 80 Elway beat us in that Stanford game. As we all know now the guy was unstoppable. I still think it is totally remarkable that Switzer didn't lose a game for his first 2 and a half seasons as OU head coach. When Barry retired from college coaching he had the best winning percentage of any active head coach in the game. He truly should go down as one of the very best ever.

vCash

[QUOTE=sportsproducer;1005347]I never worked in front of the camera only behind it. I have a face made for radio ! :-)

I still do work for several Bowl games and from time to time ESPN and Fox and have done most of my work with NFL and MLB games. I have decided to take a stab at working in the film industry as of late. I walked on in 1985 and have kept a great relationship with Coach Switzer ever since. What scholarship limitations did was only part of what has changed college football. The other item and it's one that neither Coach Switzer or Coach Dolley rarely get credit for and that is how the TV money is distributed back to the schools and not all going to the conferences or staying with the NCAA and the Networks. As ESPN and Fox grew up and started airing more games this created the environment of more schools receiving money for TV appearances.

We all know there have been changes since Barry coached. I have NEVER said any different regardless of what some may say.. I do know some coaches{Saban, Miles, Myer and many others find a way to recruit the best out there and, I do know that is important if we want to compete and win national championships. I don't see Bob as a great game day coach. I did see Barry as one. Look at Barry's win/loss record in games decided by 3 points or less. Sooner Magic was born under Barry's tenure for a reason.. For the most part Sooner Magic left with Barry.. One can point out this seasons win over the pokes and a few more but It doesn't compare.. When a big game is in doubt and the camera is on Stoops, I swear I see a deer in the headlights look. I don't believe he will ever win another NC at OU.

all this is from memory, The 88 USC team we lost to was a damn good team.. We had a bunch of sophmores trying to stop their great Rb and they had a pretty good receiver in that game as well.Lynn Swann. They also had an AA D back I believe. It was a very close game decided on the last play of the game IF we are talking about the same game ? Yes, We should have won a NC and lost to Wa. in 84 but did in 85. In 80 Elway beat us in that Stanford game. As we all know now the guy was unstoppable. I still think it is totally remarkable that Switzer didn't lose a game for his first 2 and a half seasons as OU head coach. When Barry retired from college coaching he had the best winning percentage of any active head coach in the game. He truly should go down as one of the very best ever.
    Damn...Lynn Swann retired from the Steelers in the early 80s. That '88 team did have Rodney Peete.

vCash

Yeah, said it was from memory. I'm not an NFL fan. Here's a couple pretty good ones.

http://www.fanbase.com/photo/1120414

Damn...Lynn Swann retired from the Steelers in the early 80s. That '88 team did have Rodney Peete.
    Those cheating ****s bringing a guy in that had retired from the NFL. I knew it went further back than Bush
    The following users like this post: tennsooner

In reagrds to records in games of 4 points or less here is how the two coaches break down over the same time frame
    Barry Switzer from '73 - '86 15 - 4 -6
    Bob Stoops from '99 - '12 10 - 12

In regards to the opponents in these games: 13 of the 25 games where vs teams who finished in the top 25, 8 vs top 5 teams and 12 of those teams finished not ranked. 10 of the 12 teams that were unranked finished the season below .500

Bob Stoops Opponents' who played his teams to 4 points or less: 16 finished in the top 20, 8 in the top 5 and 6 finished the season not ranked. Of those 6 only 3 finished below.500 (Also 2 of these losses include the '05 Tech and '06 Oregon game)

vCash

Your memory sucks balls if you think Swan was in college in 88.
    The following users like this post: tennsooner

Your memory sucks balls if you think Swan was in college in 88.
    He has never really been one to let facts get in the way of something he says. Second, I'm sure there is a "gay" insult coming very soon

1975 KU beat OU 23- 3 .. That was Barry's first loss and his 3rd. yr. as OU's head coach.We all know we won the NC in 75. That is correct. If he was referring to the other KU loss I stand corrected on that ..
    Like I said, read his post again. It says '84 at the beginning of the sentence, plain as day.