Knight dazzling in scout team practices

Posted 579 day(s) ago by usaosooner11421 Views 131 Replies
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    vCash

The only way Bell isn't starting in the fall is if he falls out of the back of a pickup. You all are forgetting the Stoops Factor. He rewards seniority/loyalty no matter what. See Frank Shannon vs. Tom Wort.

I have also heard about Knight blazing a trail and would love to see him get the nod. I just hope Bell is a player.

Nate Hybl's scrambling ability would be dazzling to this defensive line group.
    3 users like DelMarSooner's post: Fanofou, madillsoonerfan5353, SilksKS

vCash

Originally Posted by DelMarSooner View Post
    would be dazzling to this defensive line group.
    Nate Hybl's scrambling ability, also called chuck and cover.

Nate did not have the moves, but the dude stood in there and took some serious shots.
    I thought Kstate might kill him in 2001.
    4 users like 65Mustang's post: cccasooner2, jmizzy4ou, madillsoonerfan5353, peckerwood

Originally Posted by mexican/ninja View Post
    The only way Bell isn't starting in the fall is if he falls out of the back of a pickup. You all are forgetting the Stoops Factor. He rewards seniority/loyalty no matter what. See Frank Shannon vs. Tom Wort.

I have also heard about Knight blazing a trail and would love to see him get the nod. I just hope Bell is a player.
    Just like when Joey Halzle started over Sam Bradford, huh? How about that 2000 season when Patrick Fletcher started over Heupel?
    2 users like DHF's post: madillsoonerfan5353, Rowdyroady

vCash

Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    Just like when Joey Halzle started over Sam Bradford, huh? How about that 2000 season when Patrick Fletcher started over Heupel?
    Terrible examples. Bradford and Halzle came in the same year. Heupel came in with Stoops. Stoops had no loyalty to Fletcher. Halzle was a spring guy but still. Try again.
    The following users like this post: FiveOhSooner

Guess we'll find out in the fall. For every example you give I could name you 50 others. One thing everyone knows about Stoops is loyalty comes first. Talk to ya in 8 months.
    I think that if Bell starts, it'll have nothing to do with his loyalty. I think whoever has the best performance in the spring will win the job. And I think Knight will outperform Bell.

vCash

Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    I think that if Bell starts, it'll have nothing to do with his loyalty. I think whoever has the best performance in the spring will win the job. And I think Knight will outperform Bell.
    I agree that Knight will probably out-perform Bell in the spring but it won't matter. Never has with Stoops. I'm not a Stoops basher but I do believe he tends to overlook the talent by virtue of loyalty.

vCash

Re: Knight dazzling in scout team practices

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/colleges/okl...-scout-team-qb

“I was like, ‘This kid is unreal. Why is he doing this to us?’ ” said end R.J. Washington. “I’m not mad at him -- we need the look. But at the same, you’re like, ‘Trevor, you throw another pass like that, I’m going to hit you in the back of your head.’ ”

“He rarely throws picks,” Jefferson said. “All his passes in scout team are on point. He makes good decisions. His deep ball is pretty amazing. He can run.”

“I will leave it up to him to show you.”
    Looking great at practice means nothing. Ask Garrett Gilbert aka the king of looking great at practice.

I think Stoops has rewarded seniority when there hasn't been clear separation. In case where the younger guy was clearly better (Bradford for example) they were given the nod. No doubt Knight will have to do enough to show clear separation from Bell if he wants to start next year.
    2 users like Muno's post: jmizzy4ou, Teo9969

vCash

Originally Posted by 65Mustang View Post
    Nate did not have the moves, but the dude stood in there and took some serious shots.
    Nate was one tough player, he could take the hits.

Stoops would never start a newcomer over a loyal veteran. That's why Paul Thompson started at QB the entire 2005 season.

vCash

This thread just epitomizes how stupid some OU fans are. Blake Bell hasn't taken one snap as the starter and yet in the eyes of many, he's lost it, he yesterday's news and of course Bob's loyalty is costing this team championships. L-o-****ing-l.

If he's shredding the D with his arm, then I am not concerned about the Cotton Bowl.

vCash

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    This thread just epitomizes how stupid some OU fans are. Blake Bell hasn't taken one snap as the starter and yet in the eyes of many, he's lost it, he yesterday's news and of course Bob's loyalty is costing this team championships. L-o-****ing-l.
    Come on now, with the exception of what, one poster, no one said shit about costing championships because of Loyalty. The underlying theme is there though, and there is plenty of smoke amongst the players , that something to that effect may indeed play apart in naming starters and playing time... not just for the QB. Trust and believe the players watch that stuff, and unlike yourself , me , or the overwhelming majority of the posters on this board - they have to deal with what they perceive .

vCash

I bet Bob plays the best player. How stupid and ignorant would it be for Bob to play a guy that wasn't the best player. He'd lose credibility with his other players and eventually recruits.

Who cares what kind of credibility he'd lose with fans.
    2 users like Coach's post: DHF, jmizzy4ou

vCash

Originally Posted by soonerprices View Post
    I bet Bob plays the best player. How stupid and ignorant would it be for Bob to play a guy that wasn't the best player. He'd lose credibility with his other players and eventually recruits.

Prices, I agree with you fully. In an earlier post , I merely mentioned " how much better than Bell would Knight need to be, for him to be named starter over Bell, if things were close to being equal". I think its a valid question for a message board lol, because there will be other factors at play than just on field performance (as there should be in many instances). All of those factors might not be readily apparent to us , or even many of the players on the team, that's just a fact of life.

vCash

if Bell gets the nod, We go back to a Derby in 2 years. With Knight , we will be locked in for 3-4 years for better or worse (heaven forbid any injuries) in all probability. 3 if by any way Thompson is named , then 3 years.

It breaks down to another Qb derby in 2 years, or a another one in 4 years. That could have major implications on the Qb's we will be able to bring in after Cody Thomas... and if there are more than one Qb transfer, we might be really hurting for quality depth again.

vCash

Terrible examples. Bradford and Halzle came in the same year. Heupel came in with Stoops. Stoops had no loyalty to Fletcher. Halzle was a spring guy but still. Try again.
    Bomar over Thompson

Stoops would never start a newcomer over a loyal veteran. That's why Paul Thompson started at QB the entire 2005 season.
    Ahh sorry Balko, didn't see you post it already.

vCash

I like having this problem. It sure beats the alternative.
    The following users like this post: Spade1000

vCash

"Oh nos!!!! A freshman on scout team is shredding our first team defense!!! This totally means a freshman is gonna shred us in the bowl game!!! Sky!!! Falling"

vCash

Originally Posted by playmakr View Post
    Bomar over Thompson

Thompson could also play receiver which would smooth over any ill-feelings about not be the starting QB. Fact of the matter is, once Bell is named the starter, no one but those in the program will know 100% for sure if he WON the job in the spring. If he didn't and yet Stoops sticks to his MO, there could be some grumbling. However, I would guess the team likes all QB's and will rally behind any of them. I trust Stoops and the coaches but there seems to be a little 'favoritism' at times. We shall see.

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/colleges/okl...-scout-team-qb

“I was like, ‘This kid is unreal. Why is he doing this to us?’ ” said end R.J. Washington. “I’m not mad at him -- we need the look. But at the same, you’re like, ‘Trevor, you throw another pass like that, I’m going to hit you in the back of your head.’ ”

“He rarely throws picks,” Jefferson said. “All his passes in scout team are on point. He makes good decisions. His deep ball is pretty amazing. He can run.”

“I will leave it up to him to show you.”
    As long as he can run then he can run this O...if he can't run he is worthless to this O scheme...I'm guessing hes good but it is hard to tell against our very terrible D....

vCash

How bout a KnightRider package?
    I think it would be cool when the O comes out on the field and they play the KR theme music and the K.I.T.T. voice comes over the PA and it says "Hello Soonerfans, where would you like to go today?" Just for the opening possession of the game.

I would cheer for that!

vCash

I would love it if Knight started only to justify how wrong the insane hateful minds that wanted Bell to start over LJ are. #iloveyouLandry

to that point, him winning the the Heisman has been discussed....

vCash

I agree that Knight will probably out-perform Bell in the spring but it won't matter. Never has with Stoops. I'm not a Stoops basher but I do believe he tends to overlook the talent by virtue of loyalty.
    Drew Allen wishes that was true.

vCash

Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    Drew Allen wishes that was true.
    Drew has seen game action in mop up duty and hasn't looked sharp.

vCash

I was just commenting on the "Stoops values loyalty over talent" claim. If that was the case, Allen would've been the #2 guy this year.

vCash

One good thing is that if the first string QB gets injured like Sam did we have quality back up.

vCash

Originally Posted by SoonerDick View Post
    One good thing is that if the first string QB gets injured like Sam did we have quality back up.
    Who was the quality backup for Sam?
    2 users like Commodore Okie's post: Cabbage_town_kid, SilksKS

vCash

Originally Posted by Commodore Okie View Post
    Who was the quality backup for Sam?
    Just one of the best ever.
    The following users like this post: HudBannon

Itll be bell or thompson

vCash

Originally Posted by bruthaman View Post
    Itll be bell or thompson
    Why Thompson?

Why Thompson?
    Good question,I don't know if you have seen Thompson on film in the spring game or practice,but the kid has an arm and is close to Jamelle Hollieway quick.He thinks good on his feet,makes very few mistakes and is quite the team player by all accounts of his teammates.
    Just for the sake of ...whatever,imagine this.Thompson @ QB with Millard,Clay,Ross/Williams/Finch in the backfield in the Diamond,Stills,Shepard as the Wide-outs with the returning OLine.How many different plays/looks can be ran with that line-up? Especially the hurry-up.You could probably insert Bell or the Fr. in for Thompson if need be and barring injuries you wouldn't lose anything.Interesting to think about.
    3 users like greenfacedman's post: HudBannon, S00NER14, SilksKS

vCash

Originally Posted by greenfacedman View Post
    Good question,I don't know if you have seen Thompson on film in the spring game or practice,but the kid has an arm and is close to Jamelle Hollieway quick.He thinks good on his feet,makes very few mistakes and is quite the team player by all accounts of his teammates.
    Just for the sake of ...whatever,imagine this.Thompson @ QB with Millard,Clay,Ross/Williams/Finch in the backfield in the Diamond,Stills,Shepard as the Wide-outs with the returning OLine.How many different plays/looks can be ran with that line-up? Especially the hurry-up.You could probably insert Bell or the Fr. in for Thompson if need be and barring injuries you wouldn't lose anything.Interesting to think about.
    Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by 65Mustang View Post
    Nate had a lot of courage. The OL in 2001 was hit hard by graduation and injuries. However, towards the last half of 2002, once his offensive line became a good one, he excelled at QB. His performance in the 2002 Big XII CCG and the Rose Bowl were superb.
    The following users like this post: cccasooner2

but how do you define "best player"....
    white was the "best player"....but the coaches went with hybl....(big mistake)
    why? because he was perceived to be the "safer" player of the two......he didn't make mistakes or turn the ball over...
    i don't know if that was choke long's call ....or bob's....
    it may be a risk/reward type of decision again....

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    Nate had a lot of courage. The OL in 2001 was hit hard by graduation and injuries. However, towards the last half of 2002, once his offensive line became a good one, he excelled at QB. His performance in the 2002 Big XII CCG and the Rose Bowl were superb.

vCash

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    but how do you define "best player"....
    white was the "best player"....but the coaches went with hybl....(big mistake)
    why? because he was perceived to be the "safer" player of the two......he didn't make mistakes or turn the ball over...
    i don't know if that was choke long's call ....or bob's....
    it may be a risk/reward type of decision again....
    Coaches make mistakes

Watch the tapes, moron.

The TV analyst, Gary Danielson, was gussing over Hybl's performance in the CCG. Moreover, he won the MVP of the Rose Bowl.

Watch the tapes, moron.

The TV analyst, Gary Danielson, was gussing over Hybl's performance in the CCG. Moreover, he won the MVP of the Rose Bowl.
    i don't have to watch the tapes....
    hybl did a couple of things very well.....and the coaches didn't ask him to do any more than he was capable....
    he played well enuf that the team was able to beat a couple of teams that we should have beaten.....nothing more nothing less....
    we had a pretty stout defense at the time....so let's not rewrite history and credit hybl
    fans like you remember him as a legend because he won a bowl game and was voted mvp....maybe you need to "watche the tapes moron"

Coaches make mistakes
    that wasn't the point i was trying to make...

vCash

fans like you remember him as a legend because he won a bowl game and was voted mvp
    Who said he was a legend? He played very well in those 2 games and deserves credit for it. Fans like you hate on Hybl no matter what he did.

Can he be moved to D-tackle? Sounds like we have an opening

Originally Posted by prentice2 View Post
    So if OU stops Johnny Football in the cotton bowl does that mean Trevor Knight us better than Johnny Football? And therefor Trevor Knight deserves the heisman ?
    You refer to a freshman QB at aggie as "johnny Football" not once but twice. My only question is how many ****es can you fit inside you at one time? Don't be shy.
    The following users like this post: OUCarlton

vCash

Jim Traber still says Nate's never won a championship.

How much of Nate's progression that year had to do with QG's performance? Dude was mentioned as a Heisman outsider at times that season.

vCash

Originally Posted by playmakr View Post
    Bomar over Thompson

Bomar would have been a better qb than Paul. I have a lot of respect for Paul but Bomar would have been a better qb.

vCash

Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    Bomar would have been a better qb than Paul. I have a lot of respect for Paul but Bomar would have been a better qb.
    I think almost everyone would say that. That's why he won the job after the first game. The example cited is an example of the coach's NOT going with the older player in a position battle.

vCash

So sick of Sooner fans putting this kid on such a pedestal. Where's your Sooner Pride !! Sooners Rise to the occasion !! A few blitzs' in his facemask by King and we'll see how nobody can contain him. Boomer Sooner !!