Hot Chicks: You're now on notice

Posted 586 day(s) ago 2175 Views 28 Replies
    vCash

Iowa court: Bosses can fire 'irresistible' workers

A dentist acted legally when he fired an assistant that he found attractive simply because he and his wife viewed the woman as a threat to their marriage, the all-male Iowa Supreme Court ruled Friday.

The court ruled 7-0 that bosses can fire employees they see as an "irresistible attraction," even if the employees have not engaged in flirtatious behavior or otherwise done anything wrong. Such firings may be unfair, but they are not unlawful discrimination under the Iowa Civil Rights Act because they are motivated by feelings and emotions, not gender, Justice Edward Mansfield wrote.

An attorney for Fort Dodge dentist James Knight said the decision, the first of its kind in Iowa, is a victory for family values because Knight fired Melissa Nelson in the interest of saving his marriage, not because she was a woman.

But Nelson's attorney said Iowa's all-male high court, one of only a handful in the nation, failed to recognize the discrimination that women see routinely in the workplace.

"These judges sent a message to Iowa women that they don't think men can be held responsible for their sexual desires and that Iowa women are the ones who have to monitor and control their bosses' sexual desires," said attorney Paige Fiedler. "If they get out of hand, then the women can be legally fired for it."

Nelson, 32, worked for Knight for 10 years, and he considered her a stellar worker. But in the final months of her employment, he complained that her tight clothing was distracting, once telling her that if his pants were bulging that was a sign her clothes were too revealing, according to the opinion.

He also once allegedly remarked about her infrequent sex life by saying, "that's like having a Lamborghini in the garage and never driving it."

Knight and Nelson - both married with children - started exchanging text messages, mostly about personal matters, such as their families. Knight's wife, who also worked in the dental office, found out about the messages and demanded Nelson be fired. The Knights consulted with their pastor, who agreed that terminating Nelson was appropriate.

Knight fired Nelson and gave her one month's severance. He later told Nelson's husband that he worried he was getting too personally attached and feared he would eventually try to start an affair with her.

Nelson was stunned because she viewed the 53-year-old Knight as a father figure and had never been interested in starting a relationship, Fiedler said.

Nelson filed a lawsuit alleging gender discrimination, arguing she would not have been terminated if she was male. She did not allege sexual harassment because Knight's conduct may not have risen to that level and didn't particularly offend her, Fiedler said.

Knight argued Nelson was fired not because of her gender, but because her continued employment threatened his marriage. A district judge agreed, dismissing the case before trial, and the high court upheld that ruling.

Mansfield noted that Knight had an all-female workforce and Nelson was replaced by a woman.

He said the decision was in line with state and federal court rulings that found workers can be fired for relationships that cause jealousy and tension within a business owner's family. One such case from the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a business owner's firing of a valued employee who was seen by his wife as a threat to their marriage. In that case, the fired employee had engaged in flirtatious conduct.

Mansfield said allowing Nelson's lawsuit would stretch the definition of discrimination to allow anyone fired over a relationship to file a claim arguing they would not have been fired but for their gender.

Knight's attorney, Stuart Cochrane, said the court got it right. The decision clarified that bosses can make decisions showing favoritism to a family member without committing discrimination; in this case, by allowing Knight to honor his wife's wishes to fire Nelson, he said.

Knight is a very religious and moral individual, and he sincerely believed that firing Nelson would be best for all parties, he said.

"While there was really no fault on the part of Mrs. Nelson, it was just as clear the decision to terminate her was not related to the fact that she was a woman," he said. "The motives behind Dr. Knight terminating Mrs. Nelson were quite clear: He did so to preserve his marriage.

"I don't view this as a decision that was either pro-women or opposed to women rights at all. In my view, this was a decision that followed the appropriate case law."

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationw...ionfiring.html

TTIWWP.

vCash

Originally Posted by Jbaker View Post
    TTIWWP.
    "Melissa Nelson Iowa" returns a rather frightening google image search. Wouldn't recommend.

vCash

Just more proof that we are animals and not some special creation of a higher being.
    The following users like this post: StoopsIsMyHomeboy

Originally Posted by XxSuBLiMexX View Post
    Just more proof that we are animals and not some special creation of a higher being.
    For a guy who hates religion, you sure spend a lot of time talking about religion. We get it. Move on.
    8 users like BleeOU1's post: ab5sr, barlowd, BraveSooner, fdubzou, Irish_Sooner, mexican/ninja, Newbomb, OU48A

vCash

I don't agree with what was done. I think a man should control himself or he should have found a way out of the temptation some other way.

However, if we were just animals he would have just done what he felt like doing. Instead he sought a way out of temptation.

vCash

Originally Posted by BleeOU1 View Post
    For a guy who hates religion, you sure spend a lot of time talking about religion. We get it. Move on.
    We get it, you have no comeback of substance. Your most basic and important belief in life is false. Move on.

vCash

Re: Hot Chicks: You're now on notice

Good thing I'm average at best

The Dark Side

vCash

You know he's already ****ed her.
    2 users like jdmt37's post: ab5sr, CrimsonKel

Or perhaps the Bible is true and accurate when it says, "All have sinned," and this dentist is a sinner also.

We get it, you have no comeback of substance. Your most basic and important belief in life is false. Move on.
    Like I said. Move on. We got it the first 1,000 times.
    2 users like BleeOU1's post: Bruno Gianelli, fdubzou

vCash

There are hot women in Iowa?
    The following users like this post: Cthulhu

Originally Posted by arizsooner42 View Post
    Or perhaps the Bible is true and accurate when it says, "All have sinned," and this dentist is a sinner also.
    Don't take the bait.

vCash

Sublime has no idea what being sublime really is.

vCash

If only there was some type of clothing that women could wear that would keep them covered from head to toe thus keeping "very religious and moral" men from being tempted by their hotness....
    3 users like brokebacksooner's post: Aurora, McRib, The Baconator®

vCash

I guess that ruins my chances of ever working for a woman.

vCash

Originally Posted by jdmt37 View Post
    Hell, Lumbergh ****ed her.
    4 users like OrionJc's post: BraveSooner, jdmt37, lycao, Sieve

vCash

No, you jackass. You work your disdain of religion into virtually every thread you can, even when it is completely unrelated. This is a thread about the legality of a man firing a woman for being attractive, not about religion. Yet with one of the first replies to the OP you find a way to jam your agenda into it.

How about you try to stay on topic for once? There are complete other threads for you and the religious zealots to play "who's is bigger". A lot of the rest of us are just tired of seeing your bullshit mucking up threads all the time.

I'm guessing the Iowa Supreme Court Justices consist of 7 males.

vCash

You guys mad?
    The following users like this post: Aurora

vCash

I always sleep with my employees before I fire them
    The following users like this post: McRib

vCash

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    I'm guessing the Iowa Supreme Court Justices consist of 7 males.
    Aww, someone didn't read the article.

vCash

Originally Posted by jdmt37 View Post
    "Nelson, 32, worked for Knight for 10 years..."

Yea he had. She suddenly became irresistible at 32 as opposed to, say 24?

vCash

This dentist is weak. I find his lack of faith disturbing.

vCash

Higher being wouldnt have thought to make us horny?

vCash

Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Higher being wouldnt have thought to make us horny?
    I should clarify. A "holy" higher being.

vCash

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Good thing I'm average at best

The Dark Side
    Yep, I'm safe too. Never been fired.

vCash

Originally Posted by BraveSooner View Post
    I always sleep with my employees before I fire them
    Before I apply, are you male or female?

Originally Posted by Yatahaze View Post