There's a severe lack of interest in this bowl game

Posted 729 day(s) ago 7921 Views 167 Replies
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3

OU vs. A&M Cotton Bowl There's a severe lack of interest in this bowl game

You hear it in people's voices, you see it here on the message boards, OU fans are just meh on this bowl game.

Let's face it, it's probably our most intriguing bowl game since Florida in '08. Yet, none of us really care all that much.

Why, you ask? Look no further than our opponent.

Let's be honest, we've OWNED A&M in the past. In the years that we've been "even" or even "underdogs", we have beaten A&M - handily. Nothing's changed, we all know it. The national media thinks things have changed, but we all know it hasn't. All of the sudden, the Aggies switch conferences and they're better than us? We all know that's not the case. Nothing has changed.

So, here we go again. Another year, another A&M beatdown. Welcome to big-boy football Johnny Heisman. I hope you enjoy.

Boomer Sooner & Merry Christmas, ****ers!

Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    You hear it in people's voices, you see it here on the message boards, OU fans are just meh on this bowl game.

Let's face it, it's probably our most intriguing bowl game since Florida in '08. Yet, none of us really care all that much.

Let's be honest, we've OWNED A&M in the past. In the years that we've been "even" or even "underdogs", we have beaten A&M - handily. Nothing's changed, we all know it. The national media thinks things have changed, but we all know it hasn't. All of the sudden, the Aggies switch conferences and they're better than us? We all know that's not the case. Nothing has changed.

So, here we go again. Another year, another A&M beatdown. Welcome to big-boy football Johnny Heisman. I hope you enjoy.

Another game in Texass against a team from Texass (a team we owned in the Big12)...a no win situation for OU and the fact that OUs D is pretty weak against mobile QBs...worst match up possible for OU...not much for excitement...
    3 users like soonercoop1's post: boomermagic, madillsoonerfan5353, soonirvana

This is what concerns me about the fans traveling to the game. The apathetic attitude that will result in 80% of the fans sitting on their hands throughout the game, while the Aggy fans are tearing the roof off the place.

Thankfully though, fan apathy doesn't equal player apathy. Anyone who doesn't think our players won't be excited and ready is dead wrong.
    The following users like this post: Sooners2007

Lot of other stuff going on in people's lives plus what, 40 days in between games. I'm interested but not enough to grind on it 24/7.

Besides it's aTm again, who we've played quite a bit lately, I think it's stating the obvious; we're dogs and we'll have to play the best game of the year to beat these guys. Looking at everyone's prediction in other threads, seemed to me about 50-60% in feeling that we'll take them. We played two teams with better LOS this year, and lost to both. This aggie team may be the very top OL/DL combination we play, given the awards, accolades, and draft projections of several of their big guys. I think they'll name their score - and am hoping we can just keep up.

Speak for yourself

Bowl games are crap. It's almost 2013. Get a new system.
    The following users like this post: OUrage

The past has nothing to do with this team. New QB, new system, new coaches.

Nah, its just freakin forever before the game. Itll ramp up over the two weeks. And we will win.
    2 users like bruthaman's post: fdubzou, SleestakkSooner

Just tryin to help get it ramped up!

I wore an OU shirt today.

How's that?

OU's in a bowl game?
    The following users like this post: Tug Medick

Originally Posted by the-rover View Post
    I wore an OU shirt today.

How's that?
    Our snowman has an OU hat. At least he cares.

I agree with El Jefe. This game has the same air about it that the Boise State game had a few years ago. We haven't done well against mobile QBs this year. I fear that in a close game out defense will be gassed at the last part of the game and Johnny Football will run for long yardage at will. We nee to keep long scoring drives going and get a few 3 and outs against them and get up buy three TDs in the fourth quarter and keep scoring till games end to win by one TD or a field goal.

Going into Boise there was a confidence that we should handle them easily and should have done just that. That stadium was full of a bunch of stunned people as we once again lost from in front. I won't be surprised if we lose and do it rather easily.

I love it everytime Johnny football is mentioned or is on tv. I hope our D will be ****ing sick of him before he sets foot on the field and they give him hell thru the whole game.

Doesn't mean I think it'll happen tho

Pussies.
    The following users like this post: oorah_okie

Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    Besides it's aTm again, who we've played quite a bit lately, I think it's stating the obvious; we're dogs and we'll have to play the best game of the year to beat these guys. Looking at everyone's prediction in other threads, seemed to me about 50-60% in feeling that we'll take them. We played two teams with better LOS this year, and lost to both. This aggie team may be the very top OL/DL combination we play, given the awards, accolades, and draft projections of several of their big guys. I think they'll name their score - and am hoping we can just keep up.
    Aren't TCU and OSU at least arguably better on the LOS, or not? We can pass block like MFers, but that's really it (can't run block that well, can't rush the passer, can't stop the run).

I have a feeling that those who care most are excited.

A win makes a decent size carry over statement about the OU football program, the Big 12 and the SEC.
    A win doesn’t hurt our recruiting either.
    Apathy never won a dam thing!
    I hope the OU fans who do show up care more than some of the message board fans posting on this thread.

I'm (and I suspect others are) less than excited due to Bob's track record at getting the team adequately prepared and motivated for a bowl game. Couple that with our trouble defending a mobile Quarterback who can also throw and it's tough to get fired up for a probable beat down. I'll still watch, hope, and yell loudly.

Well, out here in AZ, Sooner Fans and college football fans in general are excited !! Seems more so about Cotton Bowl than Fiesta !! Would love to beat an SEC team ond OWN the state of Texas this year.

C'mon Sooner Fans !! WTH ?? Except for maybe the N.C. game, I'm hearing more interest in this bowl game than any other .....and I'm in cottonpickin' AZ !!! Maybe not in OK, but the rest of the nation has this game on their radar !! Manziel, SEC-vs Big 12, OU owning the state of TX, recruiting implications......THIS IS BIG FOLKS, and OU's gonna come prepared, Hungry and win in one helluva game by a field goal !! Sooners 34, Aggies 31. Shock the Nation......Boomer Damned Sooner !!

There's not much of a reason to have any interest in bowl games period.
    2 users like SoonerLibertarian's post: SilksKS, Written

I'm not an OU fan and next to the NC, Im looking most forward to this game. I think it will be a heck of game and one of the best bowl matchups.

Originally Posted by soonercoop1 View Post
    Another game in Texass against a team from Texass (a team we owned in the Big12)...a no win situation for OU and the fact that OUs D is pretty weak against mobile QBs...worst match up possible for OU...not much for excitement...
    No win situation for OU? Are you kidding me? This isn't UCONN. This is a 10-2 team against a 10-2 team FROM THE SEC. This is a HUGE game for OU and would be a huge win as well.
    2 users like OKIRISHFAN's post: IndySooner, Sooner94

Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    No win situation for OU? Are you kidding me? This isn't UCONN. This is a 10-2 team against a 10-2 team FROM THE SEC. This is a HUGE game for OU and would be a huge win as well.
    Yes. If we lose SEC kicks ass, if we win TA&M just lost OC and should of lost.

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    This is what concerns me about the fans traveling to the game. The apathetic attitude that will result in 80% of the fans sitting on their hands throughout the game, while the Aggy fans are tearing the roof off the place.

Thankfully though, fan apathy doesn't equal player apathy. Anyone who doesn't think our players won't be excited and ready is dead wrong.
    You can't hear anything in that stadium anyways.

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    Agreed. There is only one that really matters.

Originally Posted by playmakr View Post
    You can't hear anything in that stadium anyways.
    From field level?

If these bowl games really wanted to matter and really wanted to be important to the regular season then there would be less of them.

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    Could you go away until bowl season is over than?
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

I think it is the second biggest bowl game, fallling only behind the NCG.

That said, I don't like our chances. Could be who scores last wins.

Landry hasn't had a suck ass game since KSU, so he's overdue for another. Even though we've got a great defense coordinator, our front seven defensively is going to get ass ****d again.

Excitement to see game is tempered by the fact I think Sumlin is going to make us his **** on national TV and, once again, OU will end up looking like a bunch of chumps.

Originally Posted by MI Sooner View Post
    Aren't TCU and OSU at least arguably better on the LOS, or not? We can pass block like MFers, but that's really it (can't run block that well, can't rush the passer, can't stop the run).
    A&M has 2 AA's on the OL and 1 on the DL, all of which are projected in the Top 15 in the draft if they declare. We are a bit better than TCU/OSU. The offense is strong pretty much all around with a physical line and quality skill players for Manziel to work with. The weakness is the defensive depth, esp in the secondary. If you can get Landry enough time to throw he can do some damage. We are tough against the run though.

The key for OU is not to let A&M run away early, the last 5 games started 38-0, 20-0, 42-0, 49-0, and 42-0. If OU can make some early stops it could definitely throw A&M off and open up an opportunity to wear down our D and get a W. The key defensively for OU is to confuse Manziel and try to get him to make mistakes.

Originally Posted by Al F***n Swearingen View Post
    I think it is the second biggest bowl game, fallling only behind the NCG.

That said, I don't like our chances. Could be who scores last wins.

Landry hasn't had a suck ass game since KSU, so he's overdue for another. Even though we've got a great defense coordinator, our front seven defensively is going to get ass ****d again.

Excitement to see game is tempered by the fact I think Sumlin is going to make us his **** on national TV and, once again, OU will end up looking like a bunch of chumps.
    You mean like osu, baylor, wvu did? I mean sure were a LOT around here saying the same thing. And the "landry is due" line is ****ing old.
    2 users like Soonerlife's post: oorah_okie, OUCarlton

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    From field level?
    Yea even quieter there. If u want a nice nap, go to a field level suite during a game there.

OU vs. A&M Cotton Bowl

The press cares, there are no more press passes and all the seats are taken in the pressbox. This game is getting a lot of attention here in Dallas.

I am expecting a loss, so not much reason to be excited. All we will hear about afterwards is how ATM is so much better now that they went to the SEC and why didn't OU do the same thing when given the chance......

You hear it in people's voices
    I stop reading here.

First understand that OU was the first college team to sell 100% of its allotment to a Bowl game this year.. That was done in 6 hours. So obviously somebody must be excited.

Not sure that Texas A&M's defense is the world beater everyone is making them out to be. A&M faced 1 team that finished in the top 10 in Scoring and total offense. In that game they gave up 615 yards and 57 points at home to Louisiana Tech.

Should be a great game though.

Last edited by soonerintn; July 20th, 2013 at 01:01 AM.

Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    I'm not an OU fan and next to the NC, Im looking most forward to this game. I think it will be a heck of game and one of the best bowl matchups.
    Heard you are a Sandusky fan??

SoonerBounce Guest

Umm the op must be drunk. In fuscking ready to beat the shit out of the gies.

Please don't speak for me again. I'm pretty stoked to be facing an A&M team that happens to be in the spotlight and have the opportunity to beat both an SEC opponent and a Heisman winner in one fell swoop.
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

I've got different opinions on this game. I would love to beat A&M and show them that nothings changed. Not to mention, the Johnny Football craze will quiet down significantly until next fall. On the other hand though, not much will change. The rest of the college football landscape will look at the outcome and say: "Oklahoma going 11-2 is just another year for them. Nothing out of the ordinary." I also don't think it will help recruiting all that much. And even though a win will shut the A&M SEC trolls up for a bit, the media will still not let us forget how much A&M is improved in just one year with a new coach and a new conference and we'll be reminded on signing day how little a win would mean because Sumlin is easily going to maintain a top 10 class. This game is really for pride.

Could be worse, we could be playing I'n the fiesta again.

A Senior Quarterback who retuned to "Win the Heisman and the National Title," and a coach who will get a big raise and get to hire his tennis instructor as O-Coordinator. Yep, pretty excited for the Cotton Bowl.

Originally Posted by MI Sooner View Post
    It can be argued, sure. I don't think so. Yes, we can pass block them no question. No one has come in and sacked us this year, or, really, much the past 3 yrs. This OL wasn't as good as year before last (number of sacks) but better than last year. I think we'll do a decent job against the run, but yeah our avg. pass rush and Johnny whatshisface' scrambling will be a challenge.

Originally Posted by Lehmanfan View Post
    Could be worse, we could be playing I'n the fiesta again.
    This,no way would I want to see OU face that scoring machine that is Oralgoon, they'd hang 60+ on the Sooners by half-time the way the defense is against the run. I fully expect them to hang at least 50 on the Kats,and I don't see KSU even in trash time put more than 21 on the board against that speedy defense,too much talent,too much speed.Snyder can try and slow the game down but it won't work if they can't move the ball.Ducks 63,Kats 10.