Heat/Air Problem

Posted 678 day(s) ago 1159 Views 41 Replies

Heat/Air Problem

OK, so when my heater comes on, the master bedroom gets nice and toasty, as does the living room and kitchen/dining area. The 2 bedrooms on the other side of the house stay pretty cold. The air coming out of the register in the ceiling is warm, but there is almost no force behind it. The air is basically just leaking out of the hole. What the hell do I do?! My kid's room is friggin cold!

Heat/Air Problem

New problem? Always been this way? New house?

Heat/Air Problem

A duct may have come loose.
    2 users like Coach's post: Morningwood, sooner68

Space heater. Place it behind the curtain. Things will warm up quickly.
    The following users like this post: Morningwood

House is 7 years old. It's always been this way. I have the same problem in the Summer. Nice and cool except for the kiddo's room and the drum room.

Edit: House is 7 years old, but I've only lived in it for 13 months.

What prices said above.

Heat/Air Problem

Where are the vents? Floor ceiling?

If you have easy access to the attic then check the ducting as it runs to the problemed rooms and see if one tube came loose from another tube.

Heat/Air Problem

Doubtful it's a disconnect. More likely it's just where your blower is positioned and it has a hard time putting enough air that far away. You can add another unit, or look at a bigger unit. Most builder homes have heat/ac units on the low end of good enough to keep up.

Originally Posted by soonerprices View Post
    Where are the vents? Floor ceiling?
    Ceiling. I REALLY don't want to have to climb around up there with all that insulation and stuff. Ugh.

Heat/Air Problem

Originally Posted by sheepdogs View Post
    If you have easy access to the attic then check the ducting as it runs to the problemed rooms and see if one tube came loose from another tube.
    What are you going to if the vents are in the floor?

Heat/Air Problem

Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    Ceiling. I REALLY don't want to have to climb around up there with all that insulation and stuff. Ugh.
    You ****. What's your adress?
    2 users like Coach's post: Aurora, CookiePuss

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Doubtful it's a disconnect. More likely it's just where your blower is positioned and it has a hard time putting enough air that far away. You can add another unit, or look at a bigger unit. Most builder homes have heat/ac units on the low end of good enough to keep up.
    That's what I think. These two rooms are also the farthest away from the unit. Somebody - previous owner or builder, I don't know - put a fan-type deal inside the duct, presumably to boost the air into the far reaches of the house. Maybe the fan thing isn't working and it clogging up the duct?

You ****. What's your adress?
    LOL. Your big ass would have a harder time than me up there...but if you wanna work for beer I'll send you my address...

Heat/Air Problem

Price can do attic duct work sans actually being in the attic.

Heat/Air Problem

Pretty tight space huh.

Heat/Air Problem

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    Price can do attic duct work sans actually being in the attic.
    See he didn't think about that.

Touche.

I did not think of that.

So, let's say I grow a pair and go up there, and the duct is connected. The fan thing is turning...who do I call, professional-wise? Any recommendations for a good Heat/Air company that won't screw me over?

Heat/Air Problem

Touche.

I did not think of that.

So, let's say I grow a pair and go up there, and the duct is connected. The fan thing is turning...who do I call, professional-wise? Any recommendations for a good Heat/Air company that won't screw me over?
    Firestone Heat and Air has always done me right. I went to high school with the guy. Probably partially depends on where you live though.

Heat/Air Problem

Hill and Co

Came out at 9am on Father's Day and fixed my unit and didn't charged $400 just to come out on Father's Day. $150 for a capacitor.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Hill and Co

Came out at 9am on Father's Day and fixed my unit and didn't charged $400 just to come out on Father's Day. $150 for a capacitor.
    I play golf with Jon, the owner. Good people. Also if you are in Norman, I'd recommend City plumbing/heating and air.

What are you going to if the vents are in the floor?
    From the original post, "The air coming out of the register in the ceiling is warm, but there is almost no force behind it."

House is 7 years old. It's always been this way. I have the same problem in the Summer. Nice and cool except for the kiddo's room and the drum room.

Edit: House is 7 years old, but I've only lived in it for 13 months.
    Also it was a great idea to wait 2 days before Xmas and when it's about to be freezing temps to finally do something about it. You are a horrible person.
    4 users like ourn's post: Aurora, Coach, McRib, ngintunr

Haha. Well, I've just finally heard enough complaining about it. Plus I've just now gotten the $$ to do it. Because I'm poor.

Re: Heat/Air Problem

I'd rather do it now than when it's 125+ in the attic in the summer.

Re: Heat/Air Problem

Hill and Co

+1 for Hill and Co.

Prices recommended them on a previous thread as well. I took his recommendation and they were at the house very quickly within a couple of hours or less. This was when it was hotter than hell outside and most companies had a wait of a day or two. Not only were they responsive, but the tech knew his shit and was friendly on top of that.

You should be able to shut the vents down a little in Master bedroom,living room and dinning room so that it forces more air into the other bedrooms. I would at least try this before calling a H/A tech.
    The following users like this post: sooner68

Oh man, even if he is Canadian, I love Mike Holmes. He is my hero.

What brand is your system cause most of the blower motors have 3 speeds and this can be changed by a jumper on the main board, they usually set it on low or medium at the factory.

Is there only one air return on the warm side of the house? If so I'll bet you'll need an air return duct ran to the other side of the house.
    The following users like this post: The Baconator®

Bigger ductwork and or fan. There is no easy fix.

Originally Posted by ourn View Post
    I play golf with Jon, the owner. Good people. Also if you are in Norman, I'd recommend City plumbing/heating and air.
    Your recommendation is a lot better than your golf game! Go with Hill & co.

Ourn. See you in the spring. Maybe we will get to Kickingbird finally.
    The following users like this post: McRib

Oh man, even if he is Canadian, I love Mike Holmes. He is my hero.
    I learned more shit watching his shows. I look around the house with a different eye after that. You better believe I watch anyone working on the house a lot closer.

loose/leaky duct
    inadequate blower capacity
    dirty return air filters

not much else it can be

Try partially closing off the discharge registers in your master bedroom, living room, and kitchen/dining areas.
    This should send more warm air to the cold parts of your house, but you may lose some system efficiency by doing this…..?

if it doesn’t help then you may have what 87 said.

Originally Posted by ougolfincpa View Post

Steve? ha

Depending on the unit you have, you may be able to change out one of the fan pulleys. Either a smaller pulley on the motor or a larger pulley on the fan will increase the fan rpm, thereby increasing air pressure in the ductwork. I had this same problem in a house I once owned and that is how I solved it. Cost me 10 bucks for the pulley and about 1-1/2 hours of my time. Just remove one of the pulleys....whichever is easier to get to, and take it to Granger. They have a lot of pulleys in stock.

So, if it is a blower unit, aren't those things like several thousand dollars? Let's say the blower is underpowered, a bigger size of duct won't help the problem, will it?

Side note: I have learned a lesson regarding buying houses. The inspection dudes just point their little IR device at the register. "Yep, there's air coming out of it and it is X temperature" and that's all they care about. They didn't notice or mention the fact that the air was basically leaking out. A fact I realized about a month or two after moving in. In all, the inspection business would be a great racket to get into. They charge you a pretty penny relative to the work done, and they're not actually liable for shit.

Heat/Air Problem

So, if it is a blower unit, aren't those things like several thousand dollars? Let's say the blower is underpowered, a bigger size of duct won't help the problem, will it?

Side note: I have learned a lesson regarding buying houses. The inspection dudes just point their little IR device at the register. "Yep, there's air coming out of it and it is X temperature" and that's all they care about. They didn't notice or mention the fact that the air was basically leaking out. A fact I realized about a month or two after moving in. In all, the inspection business would be a great racket to get into. They charge you a pretty penny relative to the work done, and they're not actually liable for shit.
    Like said before. Mr Holmes would be pissed.

Heat/Air Problem

The problem there is that underpowered units are the norm.

Heat/Air Problem

Originally Posted by ougolfincpa View Post

My favorites thing eve is that thisguy posts forthe first timebafter being registerd for 2 yrs to give OURN shit. Mademe giggle.