Tagg, Ann, Harper Reed, Axe and how the election broke the way it did

Posted 606 day(s) ago 1239 Views 40 Replies

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/...L/story-0.html

Exit polls told a stunning story. The majority of voters preferred Romney’s visions, values, and leadership. But he had clearly failed to address the problem that Romney’s own family worried about from the start. Obama beat Romney by an astonishing 81 to 18 percent margin on the question of which candidate “cares about people like me.”

Great article if you take the time to read it rather than trolling.

“He wanted to be president less than anyone I’ve met in my life. He had no desire to . . . run,” said Tagg, who worked with his mother, Ann, to persuade his father to seek the presidency. “If he could have found someone else to take his place . . . he would have been ecstatic to step aside.
    i didn't read the article....but i did read this part in another article yesterday....
    if this is true....and he didn't want to run.....that just really hacks me off...
    perry was the same way....his wife talked him into running....

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    i didn't read the article....but i did read this part in another article yesterday....
    if this is true....and he didn't want to run.....that just really hacks me off...
    perry was the same way....his wife talked him into running....
    That's what we need though. People that are after the power involved have led to the corruption we have. If he felt it was a time of service, that is what we need back in Washington.
    The following users like this post: cosmoxl

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post

Exit polls told a stunning story. The majority of voters preferred Romney’s visions, values, and leadership. But he had clearly failed to address the problem that Romney’s own family worried about from the start. Obama beat Romney by an astonishing 81 to 18 percent margin on the question of which candidate “cares about people like me.”

Rules me out.
    2 users like XxSuBLiMexX's post: oucub23, Teo9969

Last edited by soonerintn; July 20th, 2013 at 01:00 AM.

Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    Goes to show you that you aren't going to win with logic and facts. You have to bullshit the public into believing that you care about them.
    Romney was a master bullshitter. Not saying Obama didn't bullshit... but you are headed down the wrong path. Also, Romney is a Mormon... so yeah.

That's what we need though. People that are after the power involved have led to the corruption we have. If he felt it was a time of service, that is what we need back in Washington.
    I find it difficult to believe that someone who was a governor for 4 years and who ran for President twice was dragged kicking and screaming into this race. While it would be nice to have someone that doesn't want the power involved; I do want someone that wants the job.

Tagg will someday run for political office; he's already started the spin.
    2 users like brokebacksooner's post: Aurora, boomermagic

i believe a person can want the job and be driven by an attitude of service....
    it may be rare tho...

Originally Posted by brokebacksooner View Post
    I find it difficult to believe that someone who was a governor for 4 years and who ran for President twice was dragged kicking and screaming into this race. While it would be nice to have someone that doesn't want the power involved; I do want someone that wants the job.

Tagg will someday run for political office; he's already started the spin.
    Sounds like he didn't want to go again after 08. I know how exhausting local campaigns are, so I can imagine how bad a national one would be. Add in death threats, SS, and attacks on a family I can see how he wouldn't have wanted to go again. That being said, he's always seemed to do a duty rather than seek his own glorification. Not wanting to run but feeling like its his duty fits with the character of the man most didn't get to see.

Sounds like he didn't want to go again after 08. I know how exhausting local campaigns are, so I can imagine how bad a national one would be. Add in death threats, SS, and attacks on a family I can see how he wouldn't have wanted to go again. That being said, he's always seemed to do a duty rather than seek his own glorification. Not wanting to run but feeling like its his duty fits with the character of the man most didn't get to see.
    you definitely need a thick skin to run for president....
    i prolly missed the point of why he didn't want to run....

Still not buying it.

Originally Posted by brokebacksooner View Post
    Still not buying it.
    Perhaps you're right. The stories I read from people he helped that were never publicized much paint a very different picture than the guy we saw on tv. His past fits with serving and fulfilling a duty to others.

Perhaps you're right. The stories I read from people he helped that were never publicized much paint a very different picture than the guy we saw on tv. His past fits with serving and fulfilling a duty to others.
    I agree that he's probably a much nicer guy than how he was protrayed. Agree that he probably truly cares more about the "common man" than Obama. Don't agree that he could relate to us and don't agree that his sole motivation was "duty".

Last edited by soonerintn; July 20th, 2013 at 01:00 AM.

Romney put out ideas and a plan. Obama put out "hate the rich" and "I'll try harder". Bottom line is most of the voters don't really make decisions based on logic or adequate use of their frontal lobe. Neuroscience will show you that most won't and a lot just can't.
    Umm... Romney put out an idea about a plan.

Originally Posted by XxSuBLiMexX View Post
    Umm... Romney put out an idea about a plan.
    And Obama's plan had been a failure by his own measure. That's not what this is about though.

And Obama's plan had been a failure by his own measure. That's not what this is about though.
    Some of it absolutely has. You are right though, I have yet to derail a single thread in my time here and I won't start today. Back on topic.

Excuses for losing maybe?

Originally Posted by beelzeBob View Post
    Excuses for losing maybe?
    Whenever someone loses there is inevitable analysis of why.

I have a hard time buying the "He didn't really want it" idea. I think if I were a republican, especially one that supported him from the beginning, i would be pissed if were true. It would constitute a huge waste of time and effort for anyone who actively worked for his campaign. When running for president, you need to all in or get out of the way.

I have a hard time buying the "He didn't really want it" idea. I think if I were a republican, especially one that supported him from the beginning, i would be pissed if were true. It would constitute a huge waste of time and effort for anyone who actively worked for his campaign. When running for president, you need to all in or get out of the way.
    that was my initial reaction...
    you didn't want it...but you took the opportunity from someone else who did.......then you put on an act for several months trying to convince voters you did.........and then you lost....thanks bro....
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

So, The republicans he had promoting him were just dumbasses ?

Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    So, The republicans he had promoting him were just dumbasses ?
    Did u read the article? His wife and family wanted to push the personal story. His managers didn't. His unfavorables came from not being likable. His mangers were wrong.

It actually made me like him more--and I donated to him. The idea that he was in to 'serve' and not fulfill some self aggrandizement like Newt is what I think we desperately need right now--at all levels. People don't necessarily 'want' to serve--and that's what public office should be: service. I know there are other things I'd rather do, but I feel like it's something I should do. I guess I like it because I relate to it.

I agree. No one in their right mind should want to be president. It's mainly about gaining power, not about doing what's good for the country.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Romney put out ideas and a plan. Obama put out "hate the rich" and "I'll try harder". Bottom line is most of the voters don't really make decisions based on logic or adequate use of their frontal lobe. Neuroscience will show you that most won't and a lot just can't.
    Your comments in this post are exactly why Republicans lose elections. You are indignant that people don't vote the way you want them to so you call them stupid.

Romney was at Papa John's house and made the comment about how (paraphrasing) Dems 'don't think anybody should live like this. I think EVERYBODY should live like this.'

To me if republican rich guys really feel this way then they should more time exposing poor people to their opulent lifestyle. Take a poor person to the golf club or the country club. Take a poor person to the opera. Take a poor family to a 5 star restaurant.

Romney really wanted to be president. To pretend he was dragged kicking and screaming into the race is silly.

1000% not trolling, the only thing tat really stuck to me about his campaign was his desire to be president.

He really sucked at relating to me, but by god, he wants to live in the White House.

Bottom line is most of the voters don't really make decisions based on logic or adequate use of their frontal lobe. Neuroscience will show you that most won't and a lot just can't.
    Every time you post, you add more and more validity to these lines...

Merry Christmas...
    The following users like this post: OnlyOneOklahoma

Romney lost before he was even nominated...a lib Pub from Mass...establishment Pubs lose the election once again...they were willing to savage their opponents in the primaries but refused to savage Obama just like McCain and they lost...not difficult to figure out...

Santorum loses this election by 10 points.

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    At least.

Originally Posted by soonercoop1 View Post
    Romney lost before he was even nominated...a lib Pub from Mass...establishment Pubs lose the election once again...they were willing to savage their opponents in the primaries but refused to savage Obama just like McCain and they lost...not difficult to figure out...
    Originally Posted by Spankynek
    Santorum migh thave done better than Romney if he actually fought but establishment Pubs refuse to do that and they continue to lose...they get a true conservative from the south and they will win (only chance for a person that will actually try and fix America and rid us of the liberal progressive ideology as we know establishment Pubs and any Dem wont fix America as they only make things worse)...pretty simple formula...

Doctors really do believe they're superior to the rest of us. Socialize medicine now!

Obama put out "hate the rich" and "I'll try harder".
    If you believe that, then you're not using your frontal lobe.

Originally Posted by soonercoop1 View Post
    Santorum migh thave done better than Romney if he actually fought but establishment Pubs refuse to do that and they continue to lose...they get a true conservative from the south and they will win (only chance for a person that will actually try and fix America and rid us of the liberal progressive ideology as we know establishment Pubs and any Dem wont fix America as they only make things worse)...pretty simple formula...
    Romney was portrayed as out of touch, and it sold (and wasn't accurate.) Santorum would have been marginalized as a religious whacko--it happened to him in the primaries.

Romney was portrayed as out of touch, and it sold (and wasn't accurate.)
    Yes, the media just made up these quotes and conspired, lied and cheated to portray Willard as out of touch:

“Don’t try to stop the foreclosure process. Let it run its course and hit the bottom.” Mitt Romney, defending banks and kicking people out of their homes.

“Corporations are people, my friends. Of course they are.” Mitt Romney, declaring that corporations are people in front of a crowd of real people in Iowa.

“I saw my father march with Martin Luther King.” Romney’s campaign later admitted that they didn’t march on the same day, or in the same city.

“I’m happy to learn that after I speak you’re going to hear from Ann Coulter. That’s a good thing. I think it’s important to get the views of moderates.” Romney right before Ann Coulter called John Edwards a “”.

“I like those fancy raincoats you bought. Really sprung for the big bucks.” Mitt Romney to a group of NASCAR fans wearing plastic ponchos at the Daytona 500 in February 2012.

“I have some great friends who are NASCAR team owners.” Mitt Romney, after being asked whether he follows NASCAR racing in February 2012.

“I’m running for office for Pete’s sake, we can’t have illegals.” Mitt Romney, recalling his reaction when he learned that there were illegal aliens working the ground on his property, employed by a firm that he subsequently fired in October 2011.

“We have a president, who I think is is a nice guy, but he spent too much time at Harvard, perhaps.” said Mitt Romney in April 2012, who has two Harvard degrees.

“I like being able to fire people who provide services to me.” Mitt Romney, using a shocking choice of words while advocating for consumer choice in health insurance plans in January 2012.

“I’m not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there.” Mitt Romney on compassion in January 2012.

“[Obama] says we need more firemen, more policemen, more teachers. Did he not get the message of Wisconsin? The American people did. It’s time for us to cut back on government and help the American people.” Mitt Romney advocating for cuts in public service and education at a campaign event in Council Bluffs, Iowa, June 8, 2012.

“[My wife] drives a couple of Cadillacs.” Mitt Romney, campaigning for president in Michigan in February 2012.

“I get speaker’s fees from time to time, but not very much.” Mitt Romney, who earned $374,000 in speaking fees in one year according to according to his own personal financial disclosure in January 2012.

“It’s not worth moving heaven and earth, spending billions of dollars just trying to catch one person.” Mitt Romney, speaking in 2007 about the hope of killing Osama bin Laden, who masterminded the largest attack on American soil in modern history.

“I’m not familiar precisely with what I said, but I’ll stand by what I said, whatever it was.” Mitt Romney on his many, constantly-changing views, on May 17, 2012.

http://glossynews.com/top-stories/po...m-mitt-romney/
    The following users like this post: OnlyOneOklahoma

Re: Tagg, Ann, Harper Reed, Axe and how the election broke the way it did

Romney was portrayed as out of touch, and it sold (and wasn't accurate.) Santorum would have been marginalized as a religious whacko--it happened to him in the primaries.
    Romney was out of touch. Come on , cub.

All presidential candidates are out of touch, but Romney was especially that way. He came off as an unfeeling uncaring robot who really really wanted to be president.

Tagg was just trying to make his dad sound like a hipster by saying he didn't really want to live in the white house anyways.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    Romney was out of touch. Come on , cub.

All presidential candidates are out of touch, but Romney was especially that way. He came off as an unfeeling uncaring robot who really really wanted to be president.

Tagg was just trying to make his dad sound like a hipster by saying he didn't really want to live in the white house anyways.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Knowing what I know about Rom and his charity work, his volunteer time, etc, I think he's much more in touch than O. That wasn't what was portrayed though--Rom was painted as being out of touch while O is fundraising after Sandy and holding lavish parties while the economy was stagnant. He was telling people to cut back while living it up--yet Romney was the one that was painted as out of touch. It has nothing to do with what is--it has to do with what people believe.

“Don’t try to stop the foreclosure process. Let it run its course and hit the bottom.” Mitt Romney, defending banks and kicking people out of their homes.
    If I don't pay the rent on my apartment Tuesday, I get kicked out. Don't see a lot of people feeling sorry for me...

“I’m happy to learn that after I speak you’re going to hear from Ann Coulter. That’s a good thing. I think it’s important to get the views of moderates.” Romney right before Ann Coulter called John Edwards a “”.
    I take that as his attempt at humor. No one would consider that hag a "moderate".
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Last edited by soonerintn; July 19th, 2013 at 10:36 PM.

Romney was never going to win as he refused to fight (except by savaging his own) and the fact he was a lib Gov of Mass who had already passed his version of Obamacare...establishment Pubs forced him on us and they lost again...go figure...time to go scorched earth like the Dems always do...