Map: Where are the gun permits in your neighborhood?

Posted 633 day(s) ago 3623 Views 49 Replies

See map and story at link...

http://www.lohud.com/interactive/art...nclick_check=1

The map indicates the addresses of all pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties. Each dot represents an individual permit holder licensed to own a handgun — a pistol or revolver. The data does not include owners of long guns — rifles or shotguns — which can be purchased without a permit. Being included in this map does not mean the individual at a specific location owns a weapon, just that they are licensed to do so.

Data for all permit categories, unrestricted carry, premises, business, employment, target and hunting, is included, but permit information is not available on an individual basis.

To create the map, The Journal News submitted Freedom of Information requests for the names and addresses of all pistol permit holders in Westchester, Rockland and Putnam. By state law, the information is public record.

Putnam is still putting together its records and could not immediately provide any data. The map will be updated when that data is released.
    Is this like the holy grail for burglars and home invaders?

Looks like the Bronx is about to be invaded

Originally Posted by brokebacksooner View Post
    Looks like the Bronx is about to be invaded
    This is scary as hell. When a tyrannical government wants to take over the first thing that they do is to eliminate all gun owners. The ****s conducted a massive search-and-seizure operation in 1933 to disarm their political opponents, in 1938 to disarm the Jews, and when they occupied Europe in 1939-41 they proclaimed the death penalty for anyone who failed to surrender all guns within 24 hours. I think we know how well the Jews did without any guns after that. Before 1958, Cuban dictator Fulgencio Batista had all citizens register their firearms. After the revolution, Raul and Fidel Castro had their Communist thugs go door to door and, using the registration lists, confiscate all firearms. As soon as the Cubans were disarmed, that was the end of their freedom. This type of map is potentially the first step to eliminating the Second Admendment. Take heed.

Originally Posted by Big Red One View Post
    This is scary as hell. When a tyrannical government wants to take over the first thing that they do is to eliminate all gun owners. The ****s conducted a massive search-and-seizure operation in 1933 to disarm their political opponents, in 1938 to disarm the Jews, and when they occupied Europe in 1939-41 they proclaimed the death penalty for anyone who failed to surrender all guns within 24 hours. I think we know how well the Jews did without any guns after that. Before 1958, Cuban dictator Fulgencio Batista had all citizens register their firearms. After the revolution, Raul and Fidel Castro had their Communist thugs go door to door and, using the registration lists, confiscate all firearms. As soon as the Cubans were disarmed, that was the end of their freedom. This type of map is potentially the first step to eliminating the Second Admendment. Take heed.
    Are you scared? YOU...SHOULD....BE.....we liberals are coming for your guns, wives and dogs....you won't hear us because your faux news is playing too loud thanks to your incessant gun shooting, but be sure, we are coming.....for YOU....
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

Originally Posted by TheMind____Gap View Post
    Are you scared? YOU...SHOULD....BE.....we liberals are coming for your guns, wives and dogs....you won't hear us because your faux news is playing too loud thanks to your incessant gun shooting, but be sure, we are coming.....for YOU....
    Funny stuff !! LOL

Aww, boomermagic has a new friend. That's so sweet.
    8 users like bushmaster06's post: DHF, fdubzou, jdmt37, KCRuf/Nek, LetsgoSooners82, oucub23, Shooter, Sooner5030

Originally Posted by TheMind____Gap View Post
    my door is unlocked...
    come right in...

Re: Map: Where are the gun permits in your neighborhood?

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    my door is unlocked...
    come right in...
    Will you fix me a cup of tea and read the Christmas story to me :-)

My question is to those who don't own firearms.....Are you ok with criminals knowing your home is a "gun free zone"?
    2 users like SoonerArtillery's post: jdmt37, Sooner Bob

Originally Posted by SoonerArtillery View Post
    My question is to those who don't own firearms.....Are you ok with criminals knowing your home is a "gun free zone"?
    I guarantee you that thought never crossed the mind of those ****s at the newspaper. Seems there could be some liability there if anything happens to those homes and people in them as a result of that map.

Even better. Now criminals know where to go to get guns. Wait for the owners to leave and go on an arms stealing spree.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

my door is unlocked...
    come right in...
    Just tell me your address and we will see if this Marine walks away or you do...

TIA

New York newspaper publishes names & addresses of gun owners

I know we have plenty of gun threads right now but thought this was ****ed up enough to deserve its own thread.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/25/us/new...map/index.html

(CNN) -- An interactive map showing the names and addresses of all handgun permit-holders in New York's Westchester and Rockland counties has drawn a response from mostly disgruntled readers since it was posted Saturday on a newspaper's website.
    The interactive map published by the Journal News, prompting more than 1,300 comments as of Tuesday, allows readers to zoom in on red dots that indicate which residents are licensed to own pistols or revolvers.
    "So should we start wearing yellow Stars of David so the general public can be aware of who we are??" wrote one commenter.

Some of those responding threatened to cancel their subscriptions or boycott the publication completely.
    "I hope you lose readers now," wrote one.
    The map came about in the wake of the massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, according to a statement from The Journal News.
    "In the past week, conversation on our opinion pages and on our website, LoHud.com, has been keenly focused on gun control," the newspaper's editor and vice president, CynDee Royle, said in the statement.
    The names and addresses of the two counties' permit-holding residents were obtained through the Freedom of Information Act. The website notes that the map does not indicate whether the residents own handguns, only that they are legally able to, and that the data do not pertain to rifles or shotguns -- which can be bought without a permit.

Still, hundreds of residents were shocked to see their information posted without their being notified. Some said the map will prompt burglaries because thieves are now aware of where weapons are likely located.
    "Now everyone knows where the legal guns are kept, a valuable piece of information for criminals," a commenter wrote. "Why don't you do something helpful, like trying to find out where the illegal guns are kept?"
    The Journal News argued that residents have a right to access information regarding weapon holders in Westchester and Rockland communities.
    "Our readers are understandably interested to know about guns in their neighborhoods," Royle said in her statement.
    The following users like this post: Irish_Sooner

Yea I saw this earlier today ... Such an ignorant thing for the newspaper to do for a number of reasons

I had posted about this yesterday here.... http://www.landthieves.com/board/sho...r-neighborhood ... I hadn't seen the cnn article yet. Some of the issues brought up in it was exactly what I was talking about.

I had posted about this yesterday here.... http://www.landthieves.com/board/sho...r-neighborhood ... I hadn't seen the cnn article yet. Some of the issues brought up in it was exactly what I was talking about.
    Doh didn't see that. Mods merge please
    The following users like this post: SoonerArtillery

Ahhhh I didn't see that thanks

Mergededed
    The following users like this post: Julz

Just blows my mind. They're posting the addresses of people just like they do for convicted sex offenders except these people have broken no laws.

A map of where I live is irrelevant to strangers I interact with in the public. You can't make me wear a star of David.

It's readily available and in that format for a price; much like most of our "private" information.

Originally Posted by Julz View Post
    Just blows my mind. They're posting the addresses of people just like they do for convicted sex offenders except these people have broken no laws.
    It'll be good information though for when Obama comes for their guns, though.

my door is unlocked...
    come right in...
    You're trying to apply castle doctrine to someone you've just invited to your house? You're not very intelligent, are you?

Don't own a firearm, never have. Not concerned about criminals knowing I don't have a gun. Never have been. Don't care if you have a gun at home if it makes you feel better and more safe.

Concerned about guns in public spaces though. I feel like gun possession in public should require a rigorous vetting. And if you are caught in public with a firearm without appropriate licensure the penalty should be severe.

I'm going to assume that all the gun guys on here would be appropriate for public carry but obviously there are many who are not appropriate.

There are too many instances of armed shooters who are licensed shooting unarmed people and claiming self defense. Obviously the Zimmerman case is controversial, but there are many that are not.

Here is a typical recent example

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madr...a-customer-cit

Here is one that I think will be more typical if more people carry in public

http://www.complex.com/city-guide/20...ds-in-shooting

There's a picture of this reporters house along with address going around the Internet now.
    3 users like ImTheDude's post: Big Red One, SoonerArtillery, Tundra

Read an update today that said a lawyer outed peoples names, addressrs, etc that work for the newspaper. Let me see if I can find the link.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/12/2...-of-gun-owners

Originally Posted by ArbySooner View Post
    Read an update today that said a lawyer outed peoples names, addressrs, etc that work for the newspaper. Let me see if I can find the link.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/12/2...-of-gun-owners
    I'm sure these journalists feel the public has a right to know.

Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    I'm sure these journalists feel the public has a right to know.
    If you would like to call her to agree with her or just wish her a happy New Year.
    http://christopherfountain.wordpress...for-the-goose/
    The following users like this post: Tundra

Originally Posted by Big Red One View Post
    If you would like to call her to agree with her or just wish her a happy New Year.
    http://christopherfountain.wordpress...for-the-goose/
    I'd rather wish the girl in your avatar happy new year...

The newspaper now seems to love those with guns, just as long as they there for the newspapers protection.

http://www.rocklandtimes.com/2013/01...and-dangerous/

Is it public information?

If so, no problem with what the paper did.
    The following users like this post: Yatahaze

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post

Nor with the journalists info being published?

I doubt that if these gun owners were asked publicly they would mind stating they owned a gun. I imagine many people (gun owners and non gun owners) would mind stating their names and addresses on tv or having them published

Last edited by soonerintn; July 19th, 2013 at 10:29 PM.

Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    http://www.examiner.com/article/des-...-of-gun-owners

Jackass journalists are everywhere.
    Amazingly this guy was a columnist for over 30 years. Hard to imagine a paper that would publish his ravings.

2 users like suncoastsooner's post: Bk2X, OU Sam

I wonder if a Gun Rights journalists had written an opinion piece stating that all anti-gunners should die, to forcibily eliminate all anti-gun organizations, etc., would the paper have printed the piece or would they have turned to over to the police?

Here's the full column:

Donald Kaul suffered a heart attack back in July and discontinued writing his weekly column for the opinion website OtherWords.org. Depending upon how you count, that was Kaul’s second or third retirement. Today, Kaul announces that he’s ba-a-a-ck. This time, he’s only promising to write when events move him and not to be pinned down by a weekly column. — Opinion Editor

I’m glad I retired five months ago.

Think of it: I was spared writing about the presidential election, an event so vacuous it made reality TV seem interesting. If there was any serious discussion of an important national issue — global warming, obesity, transportation policy, the morality of drone attacks on civilian populations, the environmental consequences of fracking, existential implications of the designated hitter — I missed it.

Instead, we got a campaign of misrepresentations, exaggerations and outright lies. The Republicans were by far the worst offenders, but President Barack Obama didn’t cover himself in glory either.

I was happy with the result of the presidential election, but I didn’t regret not covering it. And I was entirely content to go on not writing about things. (If I could make a living at that, life would be perfect.)

But then Newtown happened. A misanthropic young man who never seemed particularly violent killed his mother then broke into an elementary school and massacred little kids, teachers and the principal.

And the very air changed. The holiday season suddenly turned somber. You looked at the small children around you differently, as fragile, precious gifts to be cherished and, above all, protected.
    Obama struck that note in his moving speech at the memorial service. Speaking for us all, he said: “We can’t tolerate this anymore. These tragedies must end. And to end them, we must change.”
    Nice words, but somehow not enough. Not nearly enough.

That’s when I figured I should write a column about it. During my 50-year career, every time some demented soul would take a semiautomatic gun and clean out a post office, a school or a picnic, I’d get up on my soap box and let loose with a withering diatribe about guns, the National Rifle Association and weak-kneed politicians. Did it about 75 times, give or take.

And in every case the main effect was a spike in gun sales.

Still, I thought I’d give it one more shot ... er, chance.

Obama’s speech was fine as far as it went, but it didn’t go very far. Neither have any of the other responses I’ve heard.

California Sen. Dianne Feinstein said she was going to introduce a bill to ban the sale and importation of assault weapons. Great, but the bill wouldn’t apply to weapons already out there, and in defining illegal weapons, it listed more than 900 exceptions.
    Nine hundred!

The thing missing from the debate so far is anger — anger that we live in a society where something like the Sandy Hook Elementary massacre can happen and our main concern is not offending the NRA’s sensibilities.

That’s obscene. Here, then, is my “madder-than-hell-and-I’m-not-going-to-take-it-anymore” program for ending gun violence in America:

• Repeal the Second Amendment, the part about guns anyway. It’s badly written, confusing and more trouble than it’s worth. It offers an absolute right to gun ownership, but it puts it in the context of the need for a “well-regulated militia.” We don’t make our militia bring their own guns to battles. And surely the Founders couldn’t have envisioned weapons like those used in the Newtown shooting when they guaranteed gun rights. Owning a gun should be a privilege, not a right.

• Declare the NRA a terrorist organization and make membership illegal. Hey! We did it to the Communist Party, and the NRA has led to the deaths of more of us than American Commies ever did. (I would also raze the organization’s headquarters, clear the rubble and salt the earth, but that’s optional.) Make ownership of unlicensed assault rifles a felony. If some people refused to give up their guns, that “prying the guns from their cold, dead hands” thing works for me.

• Then I would tie Mitch McConnell and John Boehner, our esteemed Republican leaders, to the back of a Chevy pickup truck and drag them around a parking lot until they saw the light on gun control.

And if that didn’t work, I’d adopt radical measures. None of that is going to happen, of course. But I’ll bet gun sales will rise.

Originally Posted by Yatahaze View Post
    You're trying to apply castle doctrine to someone you've just invited to your house? You're not very intelligent, are you?
    So wait . . . now we're dealing with vampire rules now?

You're invited in so you're now free to do whatever you want and get away with it?

Originally Posted by kssooner View Post
    Here's the full column:
    You looked at the small children around you differently, as fragile, precious gifts to be cherished and, above all, protected.
    That IMO, is the problem. People often don't look at the children around them like this by default.

Some people understand responsibility!!!

If so, I really hope local governments re-evaluate their concept of public information. Some public information has fewer unintended consequences than other.

Originally Posted by Yatahaze View Post
    did i say anything about castle doctrine?
    you're not very intelligent are you?

did i say anything about castle doctrine?
    you're not very intelligent are you?
    Were you inviting him to dinner?

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    Don't own a firearm, never have. Not concerned about criminals knowing I don't have a gun. Never have been. Don't care if you have a gun at home if it makes you feel better and more safe.

Concerned about guns in public spaces though. I feel like gun possession in public should require a rigorous vetting. And if you are caught in public with a firearm without appropriate licensure the penalty should be severe.

I'm going to assume that all the gun guys on here would be appropriate for public carry but obviously there are many who are not appropriate.

There are too many instances of armed shooters who are licensed shooting unarmed people and claiming self defense.
    ****ing cops.

Gun permits map?

What about guns bought with no permits? Surely there aren't many of those.

Originally Posted by QRISooner View Post
    Gun permits map?

What about guns bought with no permits? Surely there aren't many of those.
    All of those rifle and shotgun owners won't be n the map.

Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    All of those rifle and shotgun owners won't be n the map.
    Plenty of handguns too. Even automatic ones.

So I've been told...

Originally Posted by QRISooner View Post
    Plenty of handguns too. Even automatic ones.

So I've been told...
    A surprise for a burglar in the area.