Possible sleeper at DT Deonte Reynolds

Posted 676 day(s) ago 5709 Views 37 Replies

Saw the guy was listed as tearing things up at a CA HS all-star game.
    Only a 2 star 6'5, 295 DT from Pinole Valley, CA.
    Any NOCAL posters heard anything about this kid?

Nope. Probably wont be good enough.

6'5 is almost to big for DT. (My main concern with Jordan Phillips is leverage) Sounds like the kind of kid who needs to move to OT in Juco and come out again in two years. I like these kinds of posts though

6'5" is teetering on the edge of losing leverage. USAO is spot on. However, quickness & first step suddenness might can keep him there, if he is good enough.

Never realized height was detriment at DT. Is it because the OL can get underneath you and makes you easier to block regardless of the speed and strength you possess? Asking in all seriousness to get an idea of the concept involved.

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Never realized height was detriment at DT. Is it because the OL can get underneath you and makes you easier to block regardless of the speed and strength you possess? Asking in all seriousness to get an idea of the concept involved.

Yes most DTs are in six feet to six foot 3. Very few 6'4 and taller DTs

Haynesworth wasnt bad and he was pretty tall

John Henderson (6'7") and Albert Haynesworth (6'6") were a force at Tennessee and have had pretty good careers...

Originally Posted by JDSooner View Post
    John Henderson (6'7") and Albert Haynesworth (6'6") were a force at Tennessee and have had pretty good careers...
    I watched a few pro games in which Haynesworth was literally a game changer, he just refused to be blocked. But this was when he was with the Titans and prior to becoming lazy and crazy.
    Last edited by Big Red One; January 2nd, 2013 at 04:46 PM.

Michael Brockers not too tall. He play ball.

Hopefully Jordan Phillips can figure it out. Otherwise they may want him to move over to the O-line...We had a few other guys a in 2003-2004 that made the switch didn't we?

Taller DT's (6'4" and up) have to be either extraordinarily sound technically (think Jackson Jeffcoat when he was at Plano), or physically dominant. In Jordan Phillips case, it's the latter. His athletic ability and speed shouldn't be possible at his size. Jordan Wade is borderline as far as size goes, but he seems to be balancing technique and ability nicely in bowl practices.

Unless Deonte Reynolds is either elite in technique or raw athletic ability, his size will become a liability against decent interior OL.

Originally Posted by NateHeupelESQ View Post
    Taller DT's (6'4" and up) have to be either extraordinarily sound technically (think Jackson Jeffcoat when he was at Plano), or physically dominant. In Jordan Phillips case, it's the latter. His athletic ability and speed shouldn't be possible at his size. Jordan Wade is borderline as far as size goes, but he seems to be balancing technique and ability nicely in bowl practices.

Unless Deonte Reynolds is either elite in technique or raw athletic ability, his size will become a liability against decent interior OL.
    I hope you are right about Phillips and Wade. We need them to be good next year along with T. Peterson.

Do you have any insight on whether or not Marquis Anderson will be back with the team next year?

Originally Posted by nolesooner View Post
    I hope you are right about Phillips and Wade. We need them to be good next year along with T. Peterson.

Do you have any insight on whether or not Marquis Anderson will be back with the team next year?
    i was wondering the same thing, nole. it looks like marquis traveled with the team to dallas for the bowl game. i would think by now that if it were a grade problem he wouldn't be allowed to travel with the team.

Originally Posted by max fischer View Post
    i was wondering the same thing, nole. it looks like marquis traveled with the team to dallas for the bowl game. i would think by now that if it were a grade problem he wouldn't be allowed to travel with the team.
    I'm pretty sure that is correct.

Friend of mine is 6'5" and played on Sundays at DT--he even started a Super Bowl. It's not common though.
    Last edited by oucub23; January 5th, 2013 at 08:48 PM.

I'm going to guess your friend is Stacey Dillard...

I'm 6'5" and do very well at dt

Signed
    JJ WATT

Originally Posted by Houston Sooner View Post

Signed
    JJ WATT
    Except for the fact that he's a 3-4 DE.
    4 users like Salt City Sooner's post: huntinsooner, Mad Dog Madsen, StiffArmTrophy, VRO405

Originally Posted by Houston Sooner View Post

Signed
    JJ WATT
    Dear JJ,

Thanks for your letter. As I'm sure you know, you've never played a series as a true DT in your career. Being a 3-4 DE is arguably close enough, so for the sake of argument, we'll treat you like a DT. Considering that your most noted skill is your extraordinary agility for your size, you fit perfectly into my point. Guys at 6'4" and up need to have a very elite level of athleticism to play interior DL positions. Again, thanks for writing.

Regards,
    Nate Heupel, ESQ

Originally Posted by nolesooner View Post

Torrea Peterson still hasn't shown any evidence that he wants to be a starting DT so badly that he's willing to do whatever it takes to win the job. It's disappointing, because he's got the physical gifts to be a damned good DT. Marquis Anderson made the grades, but he also needs to show over the next 8 months that he actually wants to play badly enough that he'll do all the other stuff he has to do to earn it. (i.e., class, practice, workouts, film, class, etc.)

Phillips is a freak of nature. Put him in a 3-4 at DE, and he's an absolute terror. Wade was blowing up at bowl practices, so I think he'll start really making a push this spring/fall for significant time in the rotation.

Jordan Phillips is the absolute wild card for our defense next year. If he plays well, our D will be solid...if he doesn't, we may lose 5 games!

I hope you are right about Phillips but if he was such a budding star how come it took him a half a season to break into a lineup full of less than talented linemen who were not even at full strength due to McGee on probation.

Originally Posted by NateHeupelESQ View Post

Technique, ability, and strength also apply to smaller DTs. I get it that it's more of an issue for larger DTs, but I won't get on the "he's too big" merry-go-round. It's unlikely that a high school player will be elite in technique. You can learn that. Thus, the defining factor appears to be the physical attributes.

I'll also submit that if you're barely 6'2" (McFarland, Manning, Walker,...) then you better be 300lbs, and it would be beneficial if you're pretty damn strong. Of course, if you're McGee, Peterson, or Anderson and taller than 6'2", but barely weight 300lbs, then you might not destroy the opponent.

I would like to add Kevin Williams to the tall ass DT party.

i know it was a ways back but To Tall Jones did ok with Dallas

Big Daddy Lipscomb was about 6'8 or 6'9

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Big Daddy Lipscomb was about 6'8 or 6'9
    He was 6'6".

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...L/LipsGe00.htm

Originally Posted by ruasoonerfan2 View Post
    i know it was a ways back but To Tall Jones did ok with Dallas
    He was a DE.

It shouldn't matter how short or tall you are, if you can play and have the ability to catch, block, tackle or run and are really athletic then offer them. Wes Welker proved it doesn't matter how tall you are but if you can play.

You're right about Big Daddy. 6'6" 284. He looked as big as Andre the Giant back in the old days but he was a DT.

I thought he was closer to 300 pounds, but even 284 was huge back then. Ernie Ladd I thought was a legitimate 6'9" DT.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...eynolds-159680
    http://247sports.com/Player/Deonte-Reynolds-21432
    http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3070418/deonte-reynolds

Alonzo J. Carter ‏@RealCoachCarter
    Official set visits for CCC DT @DeonteReynolds Nov28th K-State, Dec 6th Oklahoma, Dec 13th Washington, Jan 17th ASU, unofficial @ Cal this weekend
    9:33 AM - 8 Oct 2014
    The following users like this post: usaosooner

Last edited by Stoops'Visor; October 8th, 2014 at 03:03 PM.

Holy NecroBump Batman!!!

Blast from the past.

haha 61sooner callin the shot 2 years in advance. wow!

Good call, 61

Monty will get that butt down.