Biggest waste of talent in the Stoops era

Posted 725 day(s) ago by usaosooner8362 Views 161 Replies
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    I agree about AD.
    I would go with Lynn Swann

Re: Biggest waste of talent in the Stoops era

Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    Gosh Damn some of the stuff you post on here is mind boggling. WHO REALLY KNOWS why he is not playing, but there is a reason. This is where you have to say to yourself, you are a ****ing arm chair QB and the coaches have forgot more than you know about football....so you have to trust them. If you think it is bad with Stoops, with your mentality you would have a fiasco on your hands with you running a team.
    Just say god damn. You ain't foolin him, he knows you were thinking it. I'm surprised you had time to write that dissertation with Landry's **** in your mouth.

Finch produces on Saturdays. When he gets to play of course. So much to the point that after he took the kickoff back 100+ yards teams kicked away from him the remainder of the season. They chose to continually kick to clay. I suppose they found him as much less of a threat. I don't care if he pissed in a coaches cheerios.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Originally Posted by beelzeBob View Post
    Good edit of your first statement.

He produces fumbles and missed blocks.

Not knowing the play against KSU led to an embarrassing fumble that Landry got blamed for. Dude needs to learn the playbook and blocking schemes.
    You're correct it did say he avgs 5+ ypc, makes ppl look stupid in the open field and can get to the edge quicker then any of the other backs.

Well considering Landry is a 5th year senior and threw it at the back of a receiver not even looking. You're right it was embarrassing. Two notes. That wasn't a fumble. Both stoops and Landry said that was Landry's **** up.

Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Josh Jarboe and his video was about Guns not drugs ..... he has 47 catches for 546 yards and 4 Td's this season for Ark St and he is in the Godaddy.com bowl on Jan 6
    Landry and Jarboe became very good friends at the 2008 Under Armour All-America game. LJ and Jarboe were buds in other words. In fact, LJ is the main reason that Jarboe commited to OU in the first place. Landry talked him into it while they were at the Under Armour game. Guess LJ isn't a very good judge of character. Probably one of his weak points.

Originally Posted by Fahooglegods View Post
    Just say god damn. You ain't foolin him, he knows you were thinking it. I'm surprised you had time to write that dissertation with Landry's **** in your mouth.

Finch produces on Saturdays. When he gets to play of course. So much to the point that after he took the kickoff back 100+ yards teams kicked away from him the remainder of the season. They chose to continually kick to clay. I suppose they found him as much less of a threat. I don't care if he pissed in a coaches cheerios.

You are a ****ing dumb ass. You come on here and talk more shit and the more you talk the more foolish you look. I know, I know, you dont care....and that is obvious. Finch is a stud, I will not argue that. I will argue that he misses assignments, for whatever reason, and he has fumbled..I personally think he doesnt play because he does not know the play book, but I could be wrong. Landry ****s in my mouth?...good one.

You're correct it did say he avgs 5+ ypc, makes ppl look stupid in the open field and can get to the edge quicker then any of the other backs.

Well considering Landry is a 5th year senior and threw it at the back of a receiver not even looking. You're right it was embarrassing. Two notes. That wasn't a fumble. Both stoops and Landry said that was Landry's **** up.

LOL!

The biggest waste of talent is not utilizing the advice on this board

Originally Posted by vrortiz405 View Post
    I'll throw Jamarcus Macfarland (sp?) name out there
    Good player

Originally Posted by 65Mustang View Post
    Chijoke Imagonnagetcha...
    Tore his hammy and could never run the same. All-Big 12 in '05, but wasn't smart enough to stay eligible for Holiday Bowl.

Originally Posted by HeroOfTheDay View Post
    I always thought Stephen Good was a waste of talent. He would always get knocked on his ass.

C'mon dude, you bench 500+ and you are a large human...
    Football isn't played on bench press.

He's not a good athlete. Has short arms (kiss of death for an OL). Way overrated coming out of HS.

Originally Posted by SilksKS View Post
    Biggest waste of talent during the Stoops years........Bob Stoops

We should definitely have more than one national championship from him.
    They are so rare.

Switzer/Wilkinson didn't even have to win bowl games to get 3 of their 6 titles.

Originally Posted by Master Pandemonium View Post
    nope! If the QB is under center, it's a handoff!
    Doesn't make sense, considering OU sometimes goes complete games w/o operating from under center.

The pistol accomplishes both; down hill run game (w/ PA potential), and shotgun field scan and screen game.

They didn't say it exactly. But Landry will always take blame.

After watching the play run several more times, later in the season, made me think it was more Finch's fault. Should have been expecting the ball.

Originally Posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
    By the time we get done lining him up further in the backfield, folklore will have had it that he was parallel to Megan in the north endzone while J-Dub & the rest of the offense will have had a 1st & goal on the 1 outside the south EZ.
    if we lined him up 3 yards behind the LOS, people would **** that we need to have AD lined up farther back so he can be 'running downhill'. basically people love to **** regardless of what you do

Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    if we lined him up 3 yards behind the LOS, people would **** that we need to have AD lined up farther back so he can be 'running downhill'. basically people love to **** regardless of what you do
    I completely disagree here because you could do a lot more from there in play action and other formations than just lining him up further back did. Especially since we ran about 80% of the time in that formation. But those run schemes didn't account for blockers so we saw AD being hit behind the line of scrimmage a lot.

AD still has the freshman record for yards. I wonder how many thousands more he would have gone for with the genius of this board coaching him.
    The following users like this post: H82Lose

Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Do you pay attention to OU football? Cause Calhoun and Johnson are huge busts. As well as Rawls.
    This thread isnt about busts. Its about wastes of talent. Calhoun is a bust because he just wasnt very good. He wasn't a waste of talent. Marcus Dupree was a waste of talent because he WAS very good. He had all the talent in the world but just didnt want to play football very badly and made bad decisions.

Len Bias = Imminent NBA Superstardom but dies of cocaine overdose two days after being drafted by the Celtics = waste of talent
    Jermie Calhoun = Super hyped recruit who turned out to be slow and not very athletic (i.e. not very talented). = bust

Huge difference.

MOst of the players on that list were busts, not wastes of talent.
    The following users like this post: Spade1000

Last edited by Sancho; December 27th, 2012 at 02:20 PM.

Eric Bassey and Renaldo Works both had a lot of talent and never lived up to it

Anyone that played for Texas during the Stoops era.

I thought Gutierrez should have gotten more carries, but that is about it. Stoops hasn't really wasted talent from I have seen. He might not get a talented player on the field as fast as I'd like and give too many reps to less talented upperclassman, but the younger better talent seems to always get his playing time. Without sounding like one of "those" guys, I'd say Finch has the greatest potential to be a wasted talent.

And Dejuan Miller

You are a ****ing dumb ass. You come on here and talk more shit and the more you talk the more foolish you look. I know, I know, you dont care....and that is obvious. Finch is a stud, I will not argue that. I will argue that he misses assignments, for whatever reason, and he has fumbled..I personally think he doesnt play because he does not know the play book, but I could be wrong. Landry ****s in my mouth?...good one.
    Pot meet kettle.

You do understand the point of this thread don't you? Your whole statement quoted above proves why his name is in here. You sure are showing to be the dumb ass in this conversation. If you are soonerlifes sock account trying to troll me you are doing it wrong. Try harder.

He has fumbled, twice. Only one recovered by the defense. Clay, Williams, and Whaley all have that beat (not in a good way).

I still don't give a damn about finch's practice habits. The kid produces with the ball in his hands on Saturday.

Originally Posted by OkieThunderLion View Post
    They are so rare.

Switzer/Wilkinson didn't even have to win bowl games to get 3 of their 6 titles.
    Stoops doesn't compare.
    The following users like this post: SilksKS

Stoops doesn't compare.
    Glad to see you come around. Stoops is the best of the 3

Stoops has done this playing within the NCAA rules and playing much opponents.

Switzer agrees that the college football landscape is much tougher than what he had to deal with.

Stoops doesn't compare.
    Eerily similar.

Stay ON TOPIC and don't go off the rails with personal attacks.

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    I thought Gutierrez should have gotten more carries, but that is about it. Stoops hasn't really wasted talent from I have seen. He might not get a talented player on the field as fast as I'd like and give too many reps to less talented upperclassman, but the younger better talent seems to always get his playing time. Without sounding like one of "those" guys, I'd say Finch has the greatest potential to be a wasted talent.
    My main two complaint with Stoops have always been the following:

1. Wasting redshirt years for freshman for them to play special teams and like 8 plays on offense (or defense).
    I know there are other factors that come into play here, sometimes the players dont want to redshirt etc... still annoys me
    2. When the offensive starters are pulled in a blowout and particularly the QB, the reserves dont get to run the offense. I hate seeing the backup QB come in and hand off 3 times and punt. Let him run the damn offense to get experience. I dont care if we are up by 50 and he ends up throwing a TD and we "look" unsportsmanlike. **** what other people think, your job is to get him ready to run the team and he doesnt do that by handing off to the fullback and punting for 5 straight series.

Originally Posted by SoonerSapper View Post
    Bassey is an intriguing one. He was super athletic and fast, he just wasnt a football player. He took horrible angles to the ball. He just didnt seem to have a feel for the game. In a way he was a waste of talent, maybe under the right circumstances he could have transformed his raw athleticism into great football success, but it didnt happen here.

Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    This thread isnt about busts. Its about wastes of talent. Calhoun is a bust because he just wasnt very good. He wasn't a waste of talent. Marcus Dupree was a waste of talent because he WAS very good. He had all the talent in the world but just didnt want to play football very badly and made bad decisions.

Len Bias = Imminent NBA Superstardom but dies of cocaine overdose two days after being drafted by the Celtics = waste of talent
    Jermie Calhoun = Super hyped recruit who turned out to be slow and not very athletic (i.e. not very talented). = bust

Huge difference.

MOst of the players on that list were busts, not wastes of talent.

Thank you sir.

Pot meet kettle.

You do understand the point of this thread don't you? Your whole statement quoted above proves why his name is in here. You sure are showing to be the dumb ass in this conversation. If you are soonerlifes sock account trying to troll me you are doing it wrong. Try harder.

He has fumbled, twice. Only one recovered by the defense. Clay, Williams, and Whaley all have that beat (not in a good way).

Then please ****ing tell me why Finch is not playing...TELL ME! You know more than Stoops, or Stoops wants to lose...it has to be one of those reasons, OR you have to say, something is missing and that is why he is not playing.

I still don't give a damn about finch's practice habits. The kid produces with the ball in his hands on Saturday.

Pot meet kettle.

you seem much more interested in him than he does you.

Millard- BY FAR a GREAT talent that has not been used properly.

Bassey is an intriguing one. He was super athletic and fast, he just wasnt a football player. He took horrible angles to the ball. He just didnt seem to have a feel for the game. In a way he was a waste of talent, maybe under the right circumstances he could have transformed his raw athleticism into great football success, but it didnt happen here.
    I remember Works' first game againts UTEP in '00 (yes I'm old...) and he owned that game in the 4th quarter.not sure what his deal was, but the net time he did anything was against Alabama on a shovel pass.

I agree on Bassey but I thought Works was pretty solid for the most part.

Millard- BY FAR a GREAT talent that has not been used properly.
    Millard's just in the wrong system. We run a spread where he is not a necessity. He does great when we need him to but he could be of much greater use if he played in Alabama's scheme.

I remember Works' first game againts UTEP in '00 (yes I'm old...) and he owned that game in the 4th quarter.not sure what his deal was, but the net time he did anything was against Alabama on a shovel pass.
    That was 12 years ago. That doesn't make you old.

I think who ever said Moe Dampeer had it right. That guy had the physical ability to be a difference maker. Just didn't want it

Bassey is an intriguing one. He was super athletic and fast, he just wasnt a football player.
    Yep, maybe the fastest player of the Stoops era. AD, Stills, Bradley, Perkins pre-knee, up there too. Haven't seen J. Saunders times yet, but he may be 4.3s also.

My main two complaint with Stoops have always been the following:
    1. Wasting redshirt years for freshman for them to play special teams and like 8 plays on offense (or defense).
    I know there are other factors that come into play here, sometimes the players dont want to redshirt etc... still annoys me
    Without personally knowing the situation it's impossible to gauge. Some kids simply can't handle the redshirt situation. I was around plenty who ended up quitting because they felt so disconnected.

Originally Posted by Stein7495 View Post
    Millard's just in the wrong system. We run a spread where he is not a necessity. He does great when we need him to but he could be of much greater use if he played in Alabama's scheme.
    That guy would have been Kevin Wilson's favorite player. I actually think he was as a freshman!

Originally Posted by SoCaliSooner View Post
    Gotta be Big Moe. He had the ability to be the next Vince Wilfork and be a huge disruption in the middle.

He could have been legit....
    This. I always thought we ran him off with all the tough love coaching he got. Dude weighed 350 and coaches were determined to slim him down to 325. When he played, he was a difference maker. I always felt we should have just let him play his way into shape. He would have been a great one. Instead he ballooned to over 400 while having to sit out as a transfer. He was SEC good. Ever notice the Bama or LSU DT's guts hanging over their pants?

That play wasn't Landry's **** up. The play was designed to be a trick flip to a sweeping Finch (WVU runs the same play) and Finch overran the play because he wasn't expecting the ball.....hence.....Finch doesn't know the playbook.
    2 users like mightysooner's post: beelzeBob, oorah_okie

Originally Posted by mightysooner View Post
    That play wasn't Landry's **** up. The play was designed to be a trick flip to a sweeping Finch (WVU runs the same play) and Finch overran the play because he wasn't expecting the ball.....hence.....Finch doesn't know the playbook.
    you will never win this battle with him. Finch is a stud that OU coaches dont know what they are doing with him.

I hope Roy gets his act together, the upcoming season there are rumbles from within that he is lucky to still be on the team (missed workouts, mandatory tutor sessions, flim study, lack of effort in classes and during games + entitled attitude). I really wish they had suspended him a game or a few, instead of placing him on kickoff returns. Roy gets to hear how awesome he is everyday here, and how he SHOULD be getting more touches and PT. The little guy gets heaped with praise everywhere he goes here in town, hard to say what that would do to a young 18-22yr old man's psyche. He is a great young man, just really needs to pull his head out of lala land.

you will never win this battle with him. Finch is a stud that OU coaches dont know what they are doing with him.
    He's half correct. Finch IS a stud.......a stud who doesn't know the playbook.
    The following users like this post: H82Lose

Originally Posted by TheLadiesMike View Post
    AD still has the freshman record for yards. I wonder how many thousands more he would have gone for with the genius of this board coaching him.
    He would have easily broken Barry Sanders single season rushing record. Easily. That's how great this board is and I am not being sarcastic. This board > Bob Stoops and co.

Originally Posted by Rowdyroady View Post
    This. I always thought we ran him off with all the tough love coaching he got. Dude weighed 350 and coaches were determined to slim him down to 325. When he played, he was a difference maker. I always felt we should have just let him play his way into shape. He would have been a great one. Instead he ballooned to over 400 while having to sit out as a transfer. He was SEC good. Ever notice the Bama or LSU DT's guts hanging over their pants?

He would not have made it the SEC. Well at least the top half of the SEC. Maybe Kentucky. I would say Vandy but I dont think he could cut the academics. When he did play he was only good for about two snaps at a time, then he needed a rest break.

1. I'll echo the previous post about busts vs. waste of talent. A five star player who turns out to be average is not a waste of talent. He's a bust or just an over ranked player. Big differences.

2. I also liked the critique of our schemes over the years. It's painfully obvious when we're running or passing. I liked the I formation we ran during the Peterson years. (Remember how good Patrick looked during that season?) We just never passed out of it. We also never run out of the shotgun and the current offensive staff is the worst about it. The running plays look like they're designed to just kill time until the next passing play. Then, when we really need to run, here comes a whole new offense with a totally different backfield and QB.

This year's team has been horribly coached. We have a good but statue-esque QB and an NFL caliber FB. Why do we keep running 4 WR sets all the time with the shaky O-line we have. We've had the same statue QB for years. Why not coach them to be a downhill running team to at least keep the defenses honest? That might help their pass blocking. To their credit, the Dallas Cowboys have done that this year. Their O-line is average at best but Demarco Murray has kept the defense honest.

3. When I saw the thread title, I instantly thought of Dampeer. If the dude could have just stayed below 320 and gone to easy classes, he'd be a top 10 draft pick, easy. That's really all they wanted but he struggled to stay below 400 pounds. Big time talent, though.

Aside from him, I'm hard pressed to find any huge wastes of talent during Stoops' tenure. Some of these players just haven't been very good or have been average.

Originally Posted by Big Pimpin' View Post
    Why do we keep running 4 WR sets all the time with the shaky O-line we have.
    Because we have no Tight Ends, are stacked with talent at WR, and not very good at run blocking.

How many points per game did we score this year?

I liked the I formation we ran during the Peterson years. (Remember how good Patrick looked during that season?) We just never passed out of it.
    I seem to remember a pass against Nebraska, backed up at the 1 yard line.

This year's team has been horribly coached. We have a good but statue-esque QB and an NFL caliber FB. Why do we keep running 4 WR sets all the time with the shaky O-line we have. We've had the same statue QB for years. Why not coach them to be a downhill running team to at least keep the defenses honest? That might help their pass blocking. To their credit, the Dallas Cowboys have done that this year. Their O-line is average at best but Demarco Murray has kept the defense honest.
    a) they are playing 4 WR (at times) to create mismatches. Saunders/Shepard are better than the other teams nickel/dime. Very obvious.

b) OL is far from shaky. They had the best YPC of Stoops Era (5.0). And for the most part Jones goes untouched in the pass game.

c) what does the QB being a statue have to do with insisting on more I-formation? If anything, if the QB has bad feet you want to put him deeper to start with.