Deadspin:Cash strapped Southern Miss

Posted 483 day(s) ago 1516 Views 19 Replies
    vCash

NCAA Deadspin:Cash strapped Southern Miss

Really a good read of how these small programs stay afloat. S.Miss former AD put them in a bad spot

http://deadspin.com/5970437/?utm_cam...ium=socialflow

Don't be poor.
    2 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: lauderdaleOU, morrisja20

vCash

I'd rather OU play So Miss than Fl A & M types.
    The following users like this post: madillsoonerfan5353

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    I'd rather OU play So Miss than Fl A & M types.
    I agree

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Really a good read of how these small programs stay afloat. S.Miss former AD put them in a bad spot

http://deadspin.com/5970437/?utm_cam...ium=socialflow
    Southern Miss and Tulane would be perfect additions if the long term plan is to grab Florida State. Don't care if they are cash strapped. Still a decent mid-level program that places a premium on football. Would long term be more competitive than KU in football if they were in the Big 12.

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Don't be poor.
    Why anyone would wand to be poor I certainly don't know.

Originally Posted by TeLeFaWx View Post
    Southern Miss and Tulane would be perfect additions if the long term plan is to grab Florida State. Don't care if they are cash strapped. Still a decent mid-level program that places a premium on football. Would long term be more competitive than KU in football if they were in the Big 12.
    Are you suggesting we add S. Miss and Tulane to the Big 12?

Originally Posted by pbc2003 View Post
    Are you suggesting we add S. Miss and Tulane to the Big 12?
    Yes. If Florida State is the long term goal.
    The following users like this post: BobBarker

Originally Posted by Zeeb10 View Post
    Why anyone would wand to be poor I certainly don't know.
    Mind bottling...I know.

vCash

No to each in the Big 12. Tulane is not competitive in either BB or FB and SOMiss is not up to Big 12 standards. KU may stink in FB but their BB is top level.

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    No to each in the Big 12. Tulane is not competitive in either BB or FB and SOMiss is not up to Big 12 standards. KU may stink in FB but their BB is top level.
    Stand alone they are not attractive I agree, but adding FSU long term would beg there to be some schools along I-10 for them to play without crossing the Sabine.

Mississippi State vs Oklahoma State at Reliant Stadium in 2013. Florida State vs Oklahoma State at Cowboy Stadium in 2014. Another sign that OSU is broke. They cant afford a one and one with a BCS program.
    2 users like Vodnik's post: freedombird, IndySooner

vCash

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Mind bottling...I know.
    What the hell is Mind Bottling?

Originally Posted by beelzeBob View Post
    What the hell is Mind Bottling?
    You know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle?
    4 users like TeLeFaWx's post: BMR, DHF, Tug Medick, Vodnik

vCash

Deadspin:Cash strapped Southern Miss

That was an interesting read. I like this comment from that story: "I know that some college programs do auctions of memorabilia to raise funds. If they could get more shots of Favre's dick, Daulerio might spend another $23 on them."

James Guest
    vCash
    Yeah I can see Florida state sitting there and thinking "if only they add southern miss we would bolt to the Big XII"
    3 users like James's post: DarrellS011, oujeremy, pbc2003

vCash

Well I have been thinking along those same lines but with UCF AND ECU, FSU has stated its concerned about playing non-regional teams in the BIG XII, maybe with the addition of another 2 or 3 ACC schools they would finally make the jump. Why in the heck would the BIG XII add West Virginia if there weren't future plans to add eastern schools, the idea of going back west and adding byu or any team outside central or eastern time zone makes little sense.

Originally Posted by T.Lemons View Post
    Well I have been thinking along those same lines but with UCF AND ECU, FSU has stated its concerned about playing non-regional teams in the BIG XII, maybe with the addition of another 2 or 3 ACC schools they would finally make the jump. Why in the heck would the BIG XII add West Virginia if there weren't future plans to add eastern schools, the idea of going back west and adding byu or any team outside central or eastern time zone makes little sense.
    knee jerk reaction by deloss and the rest of you jumped in line.

Yes. If Florida State is the long term goal.

They are certainly better options than anyone else being bandied about. Tulane has the additional advantage of having Big 12 CG or tourneys being played in the Big Easy.

Originally Posted by capclay View Post
    They are certainly better options than anyone else being bandied about. Tulane has the additional advantage of having Big 12 CG or tourneys being played in the Big Easy.
    Agreed. It would be OU's second best road game every other year. Unquestionably, imo.