Unsolicited advice to Big 12 early entrants

Posted 701 day(s) ago 1496 Views 17 Replies

Big XII Unsolicited advice to Big 12 early entrants

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_...early-entrants

Most of them have dodged it to this point, but it'll be decision time for a few underclassmen across the Big 12 at the end of the year.

Here's what each should do.

Stedman Bailey, wide receiver, West Virginia: Bailey has already announced he's leaving, and it's the right thing to do. He's undersized, so it's hard to see him climbing higher than the second or third round. Now's the time to leave. He's not going to equal his production next year without Geno Smith tossing perfect deep balls to him. Now's the time.

What he should do: Leave for the NFL.

Joseph Randle, running back, Oklahoma State: Like a couple guys on this list, there's no bad decision. I don't know that Randle runs much risk, besides injury, of losing much stock next season. He'll have an opportunity to go out on top next year, too. He's good enough to be drafted, but he's not a first-rounder. Will the possibility of another Big 12 title be enticing enough of a carrot to bring Randle back? It would be for me. Randle doesn't have the body type to be a bellcow back, but it's not like whoever OSU hires as an OC will suddenly start handing him the ball 30 times a game and put a ton of mileage on Randle's tires before he receives his first NFL check.

What he should do: Stay at Oklahoma State

Tony Jefferson, safety, Oklahoma: Jefferson's been a playmaker for three seasons for the Sooners. He was one of the league's best defenders this year, and he's got prototypical size for an NFL safety. Once NFL scouts see him up close at the combine, it's easy to see him ascending into the first round.

What he should do: Leave for the NFL

Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State: Gilbert has prototypical size for an NFL corner (6-foot, 194 pounds) and his speed will absolutely wow scouts at the combine. There's no doubt in my mind there's a first-round talent inside of him. However, the OSU CBs as a whole were one of the more disappointing units in the league. Gilbert's cover skills regressed at times this year and I don't think the game tape he strung together this year is what he wants his lasting image to be to scouts. With that game tape, it's hard to see him earning a first-round pick. His potential to do so in 2013 is there, though.

What he should do: Stay at Oklahoma State

Jackson Jeffcoat, defensive end, Texas: Jeffcoat had a disappointing season after tearing a pectoral, the same injury he had late last season. The Texas defense was disappointing, too. Next year the pieces will be in place for a big year for the Texas defense, and Jeffcoat could help key it. He could definitely play his way into the top five next year, but this year, it's hard to see any team spending that high of a pick on him coming off an injury.

What he should do: Stay at Texas.

Kenny Stills, wide receiver, Oklahoma: Stills was disappointed with his season, and it's a really, really deep class in this draft. You could defend either decision, but even with a new quarterback coming in, it's possible for Stills to improve his stock with another year of experience and a less stacked class. The Sooners could come back and win another league title, too.

What he should do: Stay at Oklahoma

James Sims, running back, Kansas: I totally understand if Sims is tired of losing, and he's got an NFL future. Perhaps a promising one. He's got the build to be a bellcow at the next level. Still, KU is getting closer and Sims could be a part of KU climbing back into Big 12 respectability. He's already said he plans on coming back to KU, and it's the right move.

What he should do: Stay at Kansas

I like how he says Texas has the pieces in place to have a really good defense. Isn't that what they said before this season started?........and last year........

I THINK THE BEST ADVICE SHOULD BE DON'T BE POOR LOLOLOLOLOL
    The following users like this post: cbsooner

Originally Posted by SilksKS View Post
    I like how he says Texas has the pieces in place to have a really good defense. Isn't that what they said before this season started?........and last year........
    I saw that. Dumb ****s have been saying that the last few seasons. Texas will only underachieve as usual. **** the whorns.

Originally Posted by SilksKS View Post
    They're so young tho...

Originally Posted by LVSOONER15 View Post
    I saw that. Dumb ****s have been saying that the last few seasons. Texas will only underachieve as usual. **** the whorns.
    They are a team on the rise!

If the kids have a chance to make money go make it. I your projected to go in the draft then go, if your good enough to play in the league you'll play.

I don't see Texas being better than this year. Maybe one game more or less. The next RR shootout is going to be interesting with our new QB who ever it is.

Agree. If Jefferson has a 2nd round grade, he should declare and he can make his way into the late 1st with a good combine and pro day.

Stills should definitely come back. He is not NFL ready.

I don't think Stills can increase his draft stock any by staying. He has third round talent and measurables and I just don't see it getting better. Might as well move along if his degree and college lifestyle is secondary to the league to him.

Originally Posted by CCSooner View Post
    They are a team on the rise!
    macks got them going in the right direction now ...

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    I don't think Stills can increase his draft stock any by staying. He has third round talent and measurables and I just don't see it getting better. Might as well move along if his degree and college lifestyle is secondary to the league to him.
    Yeah, but like the article said, if there are fewer talented recievers coming out at the same time, it gives him a better chance to get drafted higher. I don't see him succeeding in the league, but if he can go make some money for a few years then more power to him.
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

TJeff gone, I understand. Stills I would like to see him stick around but since his QB situation is going from the awesome LJ to Belldozer he might as well bolt.

I don't think Stills can increase his draft stock any by staying...
    I feel the same way.

No chance of sneaking into the late 2nd with a great year of production and a good combine/pro day? Of course, the great year of production seems unlikely in 2013.

Originally Posted by SoonerAmongThePack View Post
    No chance of sneaking into the late 2nd with a great year of production and a good combine/pro day? Of course, the great year of production seems unlikely in 2013.
    About the same chance he has this year to sneak into the late 2nd with a good combine/pro day. The scouts know what they are getting with him regarding production whether it's this year or next it will be about the same.

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    They're so young tho...
    They have been for the last three years

Originally Posted by SoonerAmongThePack View Post
    I think huge WR production is very likely and probable next year.