Change the Outcome of one game during the Stoops era - which would it be?

Posted 615 day(s) ago by PLAW3268 Views 99 Replies
Page 2 of 2 1 2
    It's been said repeatedly, but I also have to go with Florida.

Gives us a recent NC. SEC wouldn't have eleventy-billion in a row, and the bullshit rematch of last year probably doesn't happen.
    Plus, I feel like Sam and Jermaine and Gerald and those guys deserved it.

Not to mention the fact that I was there, and went to 10 games that year, which is definitely my high for a season.

Originally Posted by ValenciaSooner View Post
    '05 BCS loss to USC. Changed national perception of OU. Still feel the pain.
    I wouldn't say losing to USC changed the national perception of OU but it didn't help it losing by 36. What changed the perception of Oklahoma's image was the following 2 BCS games. Losing to Boise State and losing by 20 to West Virginia gave the rest of the country a bad impression and after Boise State was when you started to hear a lot more of the "Chokelahoma" and the "Big Game Bob is no more" shit. Losing to Florida was just icing on the cake.

2012 Notre Dame. I like to live in the now.
    The following users like this post: dainbramage

Originally Posted by Concussed View Post
    Frickin' 09 BYU game at Jerryworld. If Sam doesn't get hurt, he repeats as Heisman and we win #8!
    Haha, no way OU goes undefeated that year, even with Sam at the helm. Can you imagine our revolving door of an OL going up against the Bammer DL in the NC? That would have been comical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2003 vs KSU. We win and no injuries going in to face LSU.

We win that and it changes everything.

MNC game vs. Florida. The main reason that I choose this over the USC debacle is that I really wanted the guys on the 08 team (Sam, Chris Brown, McCoy and Gresham) to win a title. Plus beating Tebow and C.U.M. would have done wonders for our image nationally. There's also the SEC thing.

We should never lose a game... losing is for jesus freaks... we have too many jesus freaks.

Florida in 2008, b/c that game was SO winnable.

Curse you, Wilson. Next time borrow Mack Brown's plane and fly a banner over the stadium that says, "We always run the TB to the left side on short yardage."

2003 NC vs lsu... winning that game would have sparked a modern day dynasty, very similar to what bama is experiencing now, IMO.

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    2008 BCS its more relevant
    Yeah I agree. We could have very easily won that game. Kevin Wilson was asleep at the wheel that game.

Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    But, alas, as the old cliche goes...football is a game of inches.
    I've learned over the years that it's more a "game of injuries" than a "game of inches" when it comes to determining the outcomes of big games or championship games. Whether those are injuries that lead up to the game or ones that occur during the game, they have certainly swung many pendulums.

That we had never done 'Stripe the Stadium' at ND

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    I've learned over the years that it's more a "game of injuries" than a "game of inches" when it comes to determining the outcomes of big games or championship games. Whether those are injuries that lead up to the game or ones that occur during the game, they have certainly swung many pendulums.
    How true. If DeMarco had played in 2008, but Harvin didn't recover in time, how different that game might have been!

Lord knows we've suffered some devastating losses in the last decade, despite our general success. But the USC NC game was definitelyt the most painful. At least when we lost to Florida, WVU, and Boise, we had gotten a bit used to these stinging losses. An alternative outcome to the Boise game just means we got a BCS bowl win against a team everyone though we would destroy. We had already lost to KSU before losing to LSU, so our expectations had been softened before that game anyway.

But getting buttfucked on the biggest stage by a program, coach, players, and fans that I strongly dislike? In a very hyped up game? After we had an undefeated season and some fantastic games by Jason White and AD? That just sucked in every way imaginable. And despite our conference success and 10+ win seasons after that, we never quite regained that mojo we used to have.
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

boise state was a lose/lose situation for us ... but to lose the way we did and having the media drag out that pain was horrific. however, USC was embarrassing, especially with the talent we had on that team.

I'll take the 2003 Big XII Title Game against K-State, in the hopes it propels us to beat LSU in the Sugar and not get wasted by USC the following year. We keep the swagger. Three games for one.

Also wouldn't mind having the 2008 MNC back either.

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    if we had Reynolds healthy all year, we beat Texas that season...when he went out so did our defense
    Is that the year he was hurt in the UT game? After that they set up camp over the middle. I had such high hopes for him after watching him in HS. You never know who's going to have those injuries.

Originally Posted by fdubzou View Post
    Haha, no way OU goes undefeated that year, even with Sam at the helm. Can you imagine our revolving door of an OL going up against the Bammer DL in the NC? That would have been comical.
    This. He got hurt against UT on what looked like the same play. After never having to wash his uni the year before he would have been in for a long ass year.

I'd change OU/FSU MNC to a loss so we had our meltdown over a decade ago as opposed to every season.

Spoiler:
    lol, JK -- 2008 Florida of course

I've always thought that if we'd won the 2003 championship, we'd have won TGOWWDNS. We played soooooo TIGHT that SC game, with the motto, "Finish". Yeah, we finished, all right.

Originally Posted by xunil View Post
    This.. Win a NC, Sam never gets hurt, and is drafted by someone other than the Rams.

I don't understand. So you're saying if Sam does not get hurt in 09, he is not the #1 overall pick in the 2010 draft?

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    I don't understand. So you're saying if Sam does not get hurt in 09, he is not the #1 overall pick in the 2010 draft?
    well all those sci-fi movies will tell ya that you change one thing in the timeline and ripple affect changes everything else ... rams win superbowl.

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    well all those sci-fi movies will tell ya that you change one thing in the timeline and ripple affect changes everything else ... rams win superbowl.
    Lol, that's true. Last night on ESPN2, I watched "NFL's Greatest Games" about the 2002 Rams/Patriots Super Bowl. Rams were a 14 point favorite and ended up losing on a last second field goal. The two programs have since gone in completely opposite directions.

USC... 55-19 is the most embarrassing OU game I have ever witnessed.
    The following users like this post: cattlemaster

Originally Posted by DelMarSooner View Post
    Not getting ass ****d by USC. That game was an abomination.
    Stopped right here. Can't believe that wasn't even mentioned in the original post

Originally Posted by DelMarSooner View Post
    Not getting ass ****d by USC. That game was an abomination.
    Clearly the correct choice in my book. **** was our defense ever inept on that day.

Does my opinion count? I'd change the 2008 Texas Tech game.

Originally Posted by Mack Brown Clap View Post
    Does my opinion count? I'd change the 2008 Texas Tech game.
    I think changing the result of whatever game it was that convinced Mike Leach to offer Adam James would be a wiser choice for a Tech fan.

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    I think changing the result of whatever game it was that convinced Mike Leach to offer Adam James would be a wiser choice for a Tech fan.
    True, but that wasn't any game that Stoops or OU was involved in.

2003 LSU. I would've kept running the ball from the 5 lard line on a gassed LSu defense.

AND....Boise State? I'm so tired of hearing and seeing that defensive debacle of a game.

Originally Posted by cosmoxl View Post
    2003 vs KSU. We win and no injuries going in to face LSU.

We win that and it changes everything.
    The 2003 title game was a weird feel leading up to it. There was all that talk about OU didn't belong in the game, but how could you argue with them though after the bad loss. Of course I would have been happy with beating LSU and winning the title but the game itself had a weird feel to it, especially with USC winning the AP Poll. I agree with you though, had we beaten K-State, we would have had more swagger going into New Orleans and I think we would have won.

Originally Posted by mightysooner View Post
    2003 LSU. I would've kept running the ball from the 5 lard line on a gassed LSu defense.

I've always said that too. We get all the way down there by cramming it down their throat then nothing but pass.

Originally Posted by mightysooner View Post

AND....Boise State? I'm so tired of hearing and seeing that defensive debacle of a game.
    The defense didn't lose that game.

Originally Posted by XxSuBLiMexX View Post
    We should never lose a game... losing is for jesus freaks... we have too many jesus freaks.
    You just can't help yourself, can you?

The following users like this post: XxSuBLiMexX

Originally Posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
    The defense didn't lose that game.
    Yep. Usually scoring 42 and losing is the fault of the offense - although they should of given AD the ball more and less Charles Thompson. There's no excuse for giving up trick plays when a team is desperate.

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    Yep. Usually scoring 42 and losing is the fault of the offense - although they should of given AD the ball more and less Charles Thompson. There's no excuse for giving up trick plays when a team is desperate.
    I was referring to the 14 points that the offense flat gift wrapped to BSU (pick 6 & fumble on the OU 9 ). The defense themselves gave up 21 points in 4 quarters against a top 10 opponent, which is a solid effort in my books.

Originally Posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
    I was referring to the 14 points that the offense flat gift wrapped to BSU (pick 6 & fumble on the OU 9 ). The defense themselves gave up 21 points in 4 quarters against a top 10 opponent, which is a solid effort in my books.
    True. But much like the UO game those points at the end were killers. And giving the ball to AD more still would have helped.

2003 LSU i get louisiana stations on my dish

Originally Posted by soonerjimjr View Post
    2003 LSU i get louisiana stations on my dish
    news flash ... everyone gets gator boys, moonshiners, etc. on their dish/cable.
    The following users like this post: Omega

Originally Posted by land burglar73507 View Post
    Stopped right here. Can't believe that wasn't even mentioned in the original post
    It was the one he referred to as "TGOWWDNS".

'08. We were just as good, if not noticeably better, than they were. We needed that one.

USC cause' it has been up hill ever since that embarrassment...

Originally Posted by land burglar73507 View Post
    LB - with 4500+ posts, I would expect you to recognize TGOWWDNS, just sayin' - no offense intended.

2006 Ducking in Autzen...we didn't deserve to win any of the others, but this one was different. That team was probably my favorite of the decade, most of the guys were classy, and though they may not have been as talented as some of the other teams of this era, they had alot of heart. I really respect the way Paul Thompson handled his situation of being kind of jerked around, and he and AD deserved to win that game.

Originally Posted by PLAW View Post
    LB - with 4500+ posts, I would expect you to recognize TGOWWDNS, just sayin' - no offense intended.
    Not everyone here is a teenager. LOL. OMG. Now BBBJNQNSCIM is a different story.

I want to say the Fiesta Bowl vs Boise since I bothered to make the trip, but in reality probably the USC game. Never sat well with me. I get ill just thinking about it.

USC. This shouldn't even be a debate.

Easily the Florida game. Beside now being 1 and 3 for Stoops in NC games, we lost to a bunch of moron a h*les. I was at that game and will forever be for whoever is playing the Gators. Worst bunch of "fans" I have ever been around.

For my team I would have to say the 2010 Iron Bowl.

Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    2003 NCG vs. LSU - Win that game and Bob Stoops has two Championships, it erases an $EC championship, and Nick Saban has one less championship, and doesn't have one with two different teams. Completely changes the "greatest coaches" discussion.
    We were also the better team, and Saban cheated.

2008 UF game. I wanted that NC really really really bad.