Any coaching news?

Posted 673 day(s) ago 1824 Views 14 Replies

Any coaching news?

Any chance Heupel, Patton, or Wright won't be back next year? Not impressed with any of these guys. Also, what's the latest on Norvell? We can't afford to lose him since he's one of the top recruiters in the country.

Heupel - coming back
    Patton - coming back
    Wright - coming back (at some point he is going to call it a career, just not sure when yet)
    Norvell - coming back

The only coach of those three that had a sub par year would be BJW and he ain't going. Heuple and Patton both had decent years. Your not gonna find many schools (if any) around the country with the qb stable we have. Patton did a heck of a job with all the injuries he had to work with thru the year

I agree that Heupel is a good QB coach, but he hasn't proven to be an elite play caller. We could get just about any OC in the country we wanted and personally I think we could do better than Heupel. He needs experience and time which is something he needs to gain somewhere else. As far as Patton goes, I'm not a big fan of recruiting QBs and TEs and turning them into linemen. You can't compete against the big boys with these types of players.

Patton has Shead, Nila, Evans, Irwin, Darlington, Ikard, McGee (although he left) recently. Who am I forgetting? Up until McGee the others are or will be good when healthy. As for Heuple I agree his play calling isn't awesome but you have to admit it is better than his first year. Who would you get that calls plays, recruit qb, and develops the qb? I think he will continue to improve. Next year look for more qb runs as well since we are obviously moving in that direction. The d ends had an avg year but that can also fall on the scheme. He continues to bring top guys in and I think this year was just a down year at the position

I think it's safe to say the only reason Bob hired BJW was for recruiting. The secondary was soft when he coached them and now it looks like our DEs maybe headed in that direction. I thought it was interesting that Stoops opted to have Kittles help Patton on the O-line. Unless I'm forgetting somebody, this is the first time Stoops has had 2 coaches on the O-line since he's been there. I would love to have Mangino come back and bring his toughness back to our O-line. I don't think we realized how good Mangino was until he left.

Originally Posted by BKSOONERS View Post
    I think it's safe to say the only reason Bob hired BJW was for recruiting. The secondary was soft when he coached them and now it looks like our DEs maybe headed in that direction. I thought it was interesting that Stoops opted to have Kittles help Patton on the O-line. Unless I'm forgetting somebody, this is the first time Stoops has had 2 coaches on the O-line since he's been there. I would love to have Mangino come back and bring his toughness back to our O-line. I don't think we realized how good Mangino was until he left.

Is Oregon leaving U$C?

What did you think of Jimmy Wilkerson, Jonathan Jackson, Dan Cody, etc.? Think BJW had anything to do with them?

I agree that Heupel is a good QB coach, but he hasn't proven to be an elite play caller. We could get just about any OC in the country we wanted and personally I think we could do better than Heupel. He needs experience and time which is something he needs to gain somewhere else. As far as Patton goes, I'm not a big fan of recruiting QBs and TEs and turning them into linemen. You can't compete against the big boys with these types of players.

So, you don't like Lane Johnson (a 1st or second round pick), Chris Chester (nice NFL career), Frank Romero, Chris Messner, etc.?

I'm not saying you can't find a decent one that way every now and then. I would definitely rather have the Jamal Brown, Trent Williams, Davin Joseph, and Donald Stephenson types. You sure don't see the big boys (Ala, LSU) converting them into linemen. Why do you think we got our tails kicked by Notre Dame? Their D-line dominated us. Athleticism will only take you so far. You've got to have strength and power as well.

How many pts per game did we score this year?

40 points per game. We finished 4th in the Big 12 in scoring (OSU, Baylor, KSU) and you could make the argument that we had more talent on the offensive side of the ball than anyone in the country. Anytime you have Roy Finch as a 4th string RB, you are loaded. I feel he is a good coordinator but not an elite one like we deserve. We could definitely do better.

Originally Posted by Houston Sooner View Post
    Is Oregon leaving U$C?

You mean Orgeron.

That guy is a beast of a recruiter and D line coach. Not so sure about staying within the rules...

Can I add a few more coaches to the list? That was just a pathetic game. Bob is consistently getting out coached in big games and they flat out gave up. Anybody that would defend Heupel after that Embarassing game plan is crazy. 3 or 4 coaches need to go and Bob, in my opinion, has 2 more years to prove himself. We were out coached, out played, too soft, undisciplined, not very talented, etc... Did I leave off anything? Oh and we've officially wasted a year of eligibility for Finch, Whaley, Millard, and the 2 freshman DEs. What a joke!