Posted 673 day(s) ago 9871 Views 63 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Recruitment '13 WR KJ Young Verbal

http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/foo...J-Young-145714

6'0 180 Offers Boise State
    Rivals 3 star

Film:http://www.hudl.com/athlete/64782/highlights/33280374

http://blog.pe.com/hs-gametime/2012/...from-oklahoma/

Perris Citrus Hill wide receiver K.J. Young has received a scholarship offer from Oklahoma, Hawks coach Eric Zomalt said via text message Thursday.
    Young led the area with 1,593 receiving yards and 18 touchdown catches, and he also finished second in the area with 91 receptions. Young finished his career in the Inland area’s Top 10 in receptions and receiving yards.
    Citrus Hill was the lone team in the CIF-Southern Section to go unbeaten this past season, and the Hawks won the Eastern Division championship. Young played a major role in the program winning that title, registering 37 catches for 760 yards and 10 TDs over four playoff games.
    Young, who is listed at 6-foot and 180 pounds, also has been offered scholarships by Boise State, Colorado State, UNLV and UTEP.

Waiting on the paysites to confirm the offer. But his # and film are incredible
    Last edited by usaosooner; January 24th, 2013 at 03:43 PM.

So are they moving on from Treadwell?

^ yes but continue that discussion in the Recruiting Rant thread

@BPrzybylo
    #Sooners offered WR KJ Young this afternoon. "I can't believe it. I was so shocked." Official visit set for Jan. 11

Who says they are moving on from Treadwell??

Maybe this kid is too good too pass up.

'13 WR KJ Young-Offer

Wow. How do we find these kids? He and Walker have some of the best film I've seen in this years class and nobody's recruiting them. Hopefully we tie him down.

His video's insane...sign this kid.

Looks like a good slot receiver.

Soft hands and catches the ball away from his body most of the time. Seems to be able to pull everything in thats thrown his way. Looks like a guy you wouldn't want to pss up for sure.

15 minutes of SportsCenter Top Plays... Sign him up!

Maybe this means that Stills is gone for sure.

Interesting that only Boise has offered

Shhh. :-)

I was thinking about committing on the spot. I mean, it’s OU. But I want to see what the campus is like. I have to be comfortable. The football program might be nice, but I have to feel at home.”

Young, who is 6-foot and 183 pounds, has offers from UNLV, UTEP and Colorado State and has made official visits to Boise State and UNLV.
    The following users like this post: drspencer

Holy shit! After watching the first 2 plays of his highlight film, that would be enough to offer him! Kid is a FREAK!
    2 users like VRO405's post: drspencer, melbitoast

Originally Posted by melbitoast View Post
    Shhh. :-)

I was thinking about committing on the spot. I mean, it’s OU. But I want to see what the campus is like. I have to be comfortable. The football program might be nice, but I have to feel at home.”

Young, who is 6-foot and 183 pounds, has offers from UNLV, UTEP and Colorado State and has made official visits to Boise State and UNLV.
    Awesome!... He'll feel right at home once he enters the Barry Switzer Center. Good to hear that he sounds excited!

Kid could end up being the sleeper of the whole class...

Wow, this kid looks special. He might be another Saunders type kid that most missed out on.

Well, I have to admit, I wasn't overly impressed at first. A lot of his catches looked unnecessarily one-handed, and he seemed to share Trey Metoyer's problem of staying inbounds. But the tape got better as it went on, and it looked even better on a 2nd viewing.

His balance is bordering on unfair. He does an amazing job fighting through tackles and keeping his feet moving. He does way too much dancing, though. My guess is that he's pretty much the beating heart and soul of his team's offense. If he doesn't create big every time, stuff may not get done at all. That changes how a good player performs in a game.

He's got strong hands, and he catches the ball away from his body. Those off balance catches made more sense as the tape went on, because it became clear his QB basically puts the ball up and hopes to God that Young comes down with it. Go to 6:12 in the footage, and you'll see a horribly thrown fade route that's fairly well covered. Young comes up with it anyway.

He's going to struggle with more physical CBs who can jam him on the line, but the only teams in the Big 12 who do that on any sort of regular basis are Texas and TCU.

Young will come in with a higher level of proficiency in our offense because it looks like his HS runs a pretty significant chunk of OU's plays. Lots of bubble screens, 4 wide, and even a few tunnel screens in there.

His first step acceleration is quite good though it isn't elite, but after he gets a couple of steps, he's a bear to track down.

Route running is just so-so, and will need a lot of work before he's D1 ready.

Overall, his tape is as good or better than most of the mid-range 4* slot WRs I've seen. If we're not going to get Treadwell, KJ Young is a nice consolation prize.

looks like a bigger saunders ...

Originally Posted by NateHeupelESQ View Post
    Well, I have to admit, I wasn't overly impressed at first. A lot of his catches looked unnecessarily one-handed, and he seemed to share Trey Metoyer's problem of staying inbounds. But the tape got better as it went on, and it looked even better on a 2nd viewing.

His balance is bordering on unfair. He does an amazing job fighting through tackles and keeping his feet moving. He does way too much dancing, though. My guess is that he's pretty much the beating heart and soul of his team's offense. If he doesn't create big every time, stuff may not get done at all. That changes how a good player performs in a game.

He's got strong hands, and he catches the ball away from his body. Those off balance catches made more sense as the tape went on, because it became clear his QB basically puts the ball up and hopes to God that Young comes down with it. Go to 6:12 in the footage, and you'll see a horribly thrown fade route that's fairly well covered. Young comes up with it anyway.

He's going to struggle with more physical CBs who can jam him on the line, but the only teams in the Big 12 who do that on any sort of regular basis are Texas and TCU.

Young will come in with a higher level of proficiency in our offense because it looks like his HS runs a pretty significant chunk of OU's plays. Lots of bubble screens, 4 wide, and even a few tunnel screens in there.

His first step acceleration is quite good though it isn't elite, but after he gets a couple of steps, he's a bear to track down.

Overall, his tape is as good or better than most of the mid-range 4* slot WRs I've seen. If we're not going to get Treadwell, KJ Young is a nice consolation prize.
    Excellent analysis. If he plays in the slot--which with his size is probably a good idea--then that keeps him away from CBs jamming him as much, not entirely, but not as much.

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    Excellent analysis. If he plays in the slot--which with his size is probably a good idea--then that keeps him away from CBs jamming him as much, not entirely, but not as much.
    aren't we grooming sheppard to play slot? anyhow, i'm shocked he doesn't have more offers.

Are we sure he's not recruited as an ath? Kish is his recruiter. Not that it matters but looks like somebody Mike would like to have

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    aren't we grooming sheppard to play slot? anyhow, i'm shocked he doesn't have more offers.
    Saunders starts in the slot, but we played a lot of 4 WR sets this year and Shepard was the 4th receiver.

In the 4 WR set, Shepard was in the slot on one side most of the time, with Saunders playing flanker outside the split end on the other side.

So, in 2014 we would have Shepard and Young as the slot receivers.

Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    Are we sure he's not recruited as an ath? Kish is his recruiter. Not that it matters but looks like somebody Mike would like to have
    He is a WR

Originally Posted by NateHeupelESQ View Post

Um, ok.

If Boise is after a Cali kid and practically nobody else is (nobody else that is worth noting), I bet he can actually play.

Surprise surprise. Since our offer Utah,Texas Tech, Washington State have been in contact with him. He also has a visit with Iowa State next week and may trip to either Utah or Tech

kish had a coaching friend in cali who asked him to view the tape so that's how we got to this kid...kish hasn't done anything substantial in lb recruiting but his ties to the west coast are valuable

Originally Posted by andymancan20 View Post
    kish had a coaching friend in cali who asked him to view the tape so that's how we got to this kid...kish hasn't done anything substantial in lb recruiting but his ties to the west coast are valuable
    he's currently 0-7 with the CA/AZ ties. if we land Young ... then he's 1-7. was that the west coast ties you were looking at?

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Surprise surprise. Since our offer Utah,Texas Tech, Washington State have been in contact with him. He also has a visit with Iowa State next week and may trip to either Utah or Tech
    That's why certain shit should not go public this late in the game. You find a "diamond in the rough" in recruiting, you STFU about it and tell no one. And tell the kid to tell no one. I'm willing to bet Norvell is pissed right now. Hell, I'm mad.

That's why certain shit should not go public this late in the game. You find a "diamond in the rough" in recruiting, you STFU about it and tell no one. And tell the kid to tell no one. I'm willing to bet Norvell is pissed right now. Hell, I'm mad.
    so tell the kid to make himself less marketable. tell the kid that the less options he has in picking the college that's right for him is good? i say we go back to the ole school days of recruiting and just beat out Utes, tech, etc.

i'm sure boise fells the same about us.

he's currently 0-7 with the CA/AZ ties. if we land Young ... then he's 1-7. was that the west coast ties you were looking at?
    i didnt say he was invaluable and we had to keep him just that his west coast ties helped us get in on this guy early...also think he has helped with some juco kids in az but could be wrong

so tell the kid to make himself less marketable. tell the kid that the less options he has in picking the college that's right for him is good? i say we go back to the ole school days of recruiting and just beat out Utes, tech, etc.

i'm sure boise fells the same about us.
    I know, I feel like that's playing dirty, but hey, if the SEC can do it... :-)
    I guess what I meant is, just try to keep that kid as "close to the vest" as possible. Screw the reporters/recruiting insiders/etc. Don't tell them shit other than "we've got it covered". I'd rather be surprised when we get a commit or the kid signed, not know shit about him and start cussing the coaches, hear the coaches rave about him, watch his highlights, and then laugh our collective asses off as we rejoice in the wonderful surprise.

And yeah, I'm sure as BSU found out we knew, they all dropped a mighty F-bomb.
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

I know, I feel like that's playing dirty, but hey, if the SEC can do it... :-)
    I guess what I meant is, just try to keep that kid as "close to the vest" as possible. Screw the reporters/recruiting insiders/etc. Don't tell them shit other than "we've got it covered". I'd rather be surprised when we get a commit or the kid signed, not know shit about him and start cussing the coaches, hear the coaches rave about him, watch his highlights, and then laugh our collective asses off as we rejoice in the wonderful surprise.

And yeah, I'm sure as BSU found out we knew, they all dropped a mighty F-bomb.

They aren't doing any of these things. The kid himself is the one talking to the reporters, and I have a feeling that unless he's a total idiot he woudl figure out what the coaches were trying to do if they told him to keep his offer hush hush, and I doubt he'd be pleased about it.

I really hope we get the kid, but once I saw his highlight film I knew we'd have competition. If the coaches can't sell him on coming to Oklahoma over the likes of Boise, Utah, Taco Tech, and Iowa St., then we might as well stop caring because the program's done for at that point.

Usao, what is the reason this kid went all this time unnoticed/under the radar?

Josh McCuistion ‏@JLMcCuistion
    In a change of plans #Sooners weekend OV KJ Young went from not committing, to call Jay Norvell and committing. #OU has No. 19.

4 users like oorah_okie's post: andymancan20, jmizzy4ou, LVSOONER15, Vodnik

@JLMcCuistion
    In a change of plans #Sooners weekend OV KJ Young went from not committing, to call Jay Norvell and committing. #OU has No. 19.

Boomer!

Boomer Sooner baby

Like it
    The following users like this post: jmizzy4ou

I'm excited about this kid! His highlight film is a must-see!
    The following users like this post: Vodnik

2 users like Onikuno's post: jmizzy4ou, SoonerSteve1

Very nice!

Hell yeah! Another good player!
    The following users like this post: jmizzy4ou

Good get.

The only time I was in Perris, CA I was camping with my GF in my new motor home. Found out the camp ground had a pond stocked with trout. Checked out the pond and it was the color of ink. Didn't go fishing.

Originally Posted by cccasooner2 View Post
    Good get.

The only time I was in Perris, CA I was camping with my GF in my new motor home. Found out the camp ground had a pond stocked with trout. Checked out the pond and it was the color of ink. Didn't go fishing.

Most lakes in Ca. are "tanin colored", that's what happens when you have a little too much Sasquatch poop in it.

Originally Posted by greenfacedman View Post
    Most lakes in Ca. are "tanin colored", that's what happens when you have a little too much Sasquatch poop in it.
    Green font. Didn't read.
    2 users like OnlyOne's post: 85sooners, Tundra

Hopefully he is a good kid off the field as well

Rivals 101st ranked receiver just ahead of 104 Smallwood. Our expectations may have slipped some! Or they may be wrong 100 times.

What class in CA was his HS in? Like Mater Dai or Long Beach Poly and 1 or 2 below them.