New Orleans tips/advice

Posted 601 day(s) ago 2080 Views 33 Replies

New Orleans tips/advice

My friend booked a hotel room for a couple of nights using his Dad's points right after OU beat TCU. Decided to use the room anyways since it was going to be free and his Dad didn't have a problem with it. Never been and I'm really looking forward to it. Would really appreciate some help about things to do (especially during the day).

Tips? Advice?

K-Pauls and Old Nawlins cookery, for eating. Nice aquarium near the river in the FrQtr

Food is the only thing I like about New Orleans. Went in July and it smelled like piss and puke
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Went to NOLA for my bachelor party in November. Had a ****ing blast. Def want to go back and see the sights and experience the culture. My advice? Don't double-fist hand grenades. My night didn't end well after that.

Originally Posted by Julz View Post
    Food is the only thing I like about New Orleans. Went in July and it smelled like piss and puke
    That's probably because you never left the French Quarter. Most of the city doesn't smell like that. Ask any local and they'll tell you that they avoid the FQ like the plague.
    The following users like this post: sooner68

New Orleans tips/advice

Don't go.

Worst cities in America:
    1. Odessa
    2. New Orleans
    3. Odessa
    4. Odessa
    The following users like this post: oughostpilot

Last edited by OnlyOneOklahoma; December 29th, 2012 at 09:35 AM.

New Orleans tips/advice

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    Don't go.

Wittiest cities in America:
    1. Odessa
    2. New Orleans
    3. Odessa
    4. Odessa
    You're against wit?

Have breakfast at a place called Stanley near Cafe du Monde. The bananas foster french toast might possibly be the best breakfast I've ever had. For music, Preservation Hall is a cool, but tiny place. If you want to go make sure you're in line an hour before the show. Which is no problem because the bar next door will bring you drinks. Saw a great band that plays every Saturday night at Maison. The band is called The Smoking Time Jazz Club.
    The following users like this post: McRib

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    You're against wit?
    That New Orleans is one witty ****. Sharp as a tack.
    The following users like this post: OnlyOneOklahoma

Re: New Orleans tips/advice

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    You're against wit?
    Damn auto correct. Worst.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If a young man tells you "I bet I know where you got your shoes" do not fall for this. It's a trap. Also, if someone offers you a shoe shine, it's probably best to just walk away as fast as you can. Oh, and no matter what the dancers at the Hustler club tell you, it is NOT ok to touch them.
    The following users like this post: BernieMadoff

Willie Mae's for fried chicken.

Just stay away from Bourbon Street. Don't stay in a hotel near there, and don't go there. Unless you are still in the "booze & puke" stage, that is.

Take a tour of the homes in the Garden District. Yes it seems like a very cheesy/touristy thing to do, but you will enjoy it. We did. You can probably find a tour that will go through the Garden District and also Lafayette Cemetery.

I've heard the National WWII Museum is neat but we ran out of time and didn't get to visit there last time.

If there's someone playing that tickles your fancy, go see a show at Tipitina's. Neat place.

Eat, eat, eat. So much great food, so little time. I probably gained 10 pounds over a three day period last time. You might do dinner at Commander's. I'm sure there are better restaurants in New Orleans, but it's a really cool trip back in time. They walked us through the kitchen on our way out. A couple of other places we had fantastic meals at were Cochon and Mr. B's. We did the cafe du monde thing. Again, a very touristy thing to do. But it was damn tasty.

Lastly - if you want to do the get hammered/live music thing, go over to Frenchmen Street.

I've heard that touring the plantations is pretty cool.

Originally Posted by ArbySooner View Post
    Have heard the same. Also the "gator" tours. Only problem is it takes up a large chunk of your day. We thought about doing it last time but couldn't make the time commitment.

Racist
    The following users like this post: Yatahaze

I've done a plantation tours and the gator tours, both are enjoyable. The Garden District homes tour thing is a good thing to do as well. The Aquarium is great, Preservation Hall (been mentioned) there's also a voodoo tour kind of thing that is pretty cool. Live music out the ying yang (Not just in the quarter) I did a breakfast in the Sunrise Cafe that was awesome, (it was in the quarter though) also Central Grocery (in the quarter) is supposedly the original place for Muffulettas. They are good there. There is a ton of historical things of interest in and around New Orleans that doesn't involve puking down your leg and smelling piss, but you can do that too if that's what you want.
    2 users like Wailer's post: BernieMadoff, mgsooner

Originally Posted by Julz View Post
    Some places were worse than others but no matter where I went in NOLA I couldn’t ever get completely away from disagreeable odors and extremely rude people. I would rather vacation in Fort Stockton

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    Don't go.

Worst cities in America:
    1. Odessa
    2. New Orleans
    3. Odessa
    4. Odessa
    There are many places even in Texas that are much worse than Odessa.
    Monahan’s, Pecos, Crain all pretty much make Odessa look like god’s green garden.

If you’re into WWII history the D-Day museum is well worth the time.
    It was the highlight of my 4 day trip.

My dad worked in New Orleans and lived in Sildell for seven years. I spent a lot of time there in the 90s. The food is the best part about the area. Even the overhyped tourist places are very good. I will say my favorite place which is not overhyped or touristy at all is the Bon Ton Cafe:

http://www.thebontoncafe.com/

Voleo's in Laffite is also another place that is out of the way but probably worth a trip. It's about half an hour from NOLA proper.

I will say if you eat at any of the better known places (Galatoire's, Brennan's, Commander's Palace, etc.) - I would go for Brunch or Lunch. It's easier to get in and a much better value.

Oh yeah - and for a day trip if the weather is nice - Jean Lafitte Park is very cool:

http://www.nps.gov/jela/index.htm

It's one of the few places you can see alligators hanging out in the wild. And whoever said go see an historic plantation home was right - it can be interesting if you are into that sort of thing. Oak Alley is one of the better plantation home tours down there.

Also - as was mentioned - the aquarium is pretty interesting as well.

Lots of good advice in this thread. The WWII Museum is a MUST, however.

If you do hang out around the quarter though, I would go to Frenchmen Street which is just outside of the FQ. Lots of great music venues there. Plus, there is a great burger joint called Port O' Call. Massive burgers with baked potatoes, STRONG drinks, and a fun atmosphere. Be prepared to wait a little bit if you go during peak hours, but you can always hang out with a drink and people watch while you wait. Even though it's close to the FQ, I would still take a cab there just to be safe.

New Orleans tips/advice

The band Conjugal Visit plays at a bar called Sing Sing. They WILL rock your face off.
    Tough to beat Johnnies for a poboy. Hard to get a bad meal anywhere. Wear comfortable walking shoes!
    Some of the old fancy places may still require a coat and tie for dinner. Kpauls and emerils don't. Gallitoirs might. Fun fact: it's right next to the Hustler shop.
    One of my favorite cities.

Having been four times in the past six years and going again in two months, I can offer that:

While Acme Oyster is touristy/ right off Bourbon, it's very good and you can get a drink while you wait in line. Get the chargrilled oysters & bloody mary.
    Cafe Du Monde is also a ritualistic beating you'll have to do.
    The FQ is kind of a beating after a few hours.
    The aquarium is worth the trip.
    If you decide to go to bourbon street for whatever reason after dark, don't wonder off alone in a side street. Don't try pissing in a side-street alley. Ignore people trying to sell you their rap album. The weird guy at the end of the bar will offer you blow. Don't give attention to homeless people who will then try to mug you, etc...

New Orleans tips/advice

Check out bourbon street
    The following users like this post: Wailer

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by mavsfan31 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.
    How drunk are you right now

Django?

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    Just stay away from Bourbon Street. Don't stay in a hotel near there, and don't go there.
    Lol hows retirement

I live not far from NO... Go to cafe du Monde for beignets.... Lafittes black ship shop for a beer.... The black cats for 3 for 1's... It is New Orleans.... Have a blast! Lighten up y'all!

Originally Posted by Fraxis View Post
    Lol hows retirement
    If you're in your twenties, Bourbon Street it up. If you're 30+, as I am, it's really just kind of sad.

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    How drunk are you right now
    I'm sober. Why are you asking?