Snow skiing

Posted 660 day(s) ago 1063 Views 30 Replies

Snow skiing

Has anyone gone yet this season? My family and I just returned from a week in Vail and it was great. Excellent conditions to begin with and it snowed well over a foot while we were there. It was the first trip for my wife and son and they're now hooked, so we likely will do it again next year, likely in Breckenridge so that they'll have more of the greens and possibly blues on which to ski. Anyone else gone skiing yet and, if so, where and how was it?

Ive been this year once already and planning another around march. We went to breck earlier this year and had an alright time. It was my first time to breck and had an good experience on the mountain.

Used to go snowboarding every year then got hitched and had kids so it's been 6 years since I've been. Next year my daughter will be old enough to go and can't wait to get back. Think we may hit Beaver Creek. Has anyone ever been there before?

Global warming is going to end snow skiing and kill the rich first.

Originally Posted by Julz View Post
    Used to go snowboarding every year then got hitched and had kids so it's been 6 years since I've been. Next year my daughter will be old enough to go and can't wait to get back. Think we may hit Beaver Creek. Has anyone ever been there before?
    Haven't ever been to Beaver Creek, but the locals in Vail as well as the concierge at the hotel we stayed at had things to say about it. Also, I believe BC typically receives the most snow of anywhere in Colorado so, if true, that's a plus.

Steamboat's getting the most snow this year. Wolf creek usually gets the most but nothing there except skiing. Snowmass is great if you're looking for lots of groomed blues. Breck is great but usually crowded and windy on top. Best park by far! We're gonna check out Telluride this spring for the first time. Can't wait.

Originally Posted by Concussed View Post
    Steamboat's getting the most snow this year. Wolf creek usually gets the most but nothing there except skiing. Snowmass is great if you're looking for lots of groomed blues. Breck is great but usually crowded and windy on top. Best park by far! We're gonna check out Telluride this spring for the first time. Can't wait.
    How are you going to get to Telluride? Drive?

Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
    Has anyone gone yet this season? My family and I just returned from a week in Vail and it was great. Excellent conditions to begin with and it snowed well over a foot while we were there. It was the first trip for my wife and son and they're now hooked, so we likely will do it again next year, likely in Breckenridge so that they'll have more of the greens and possibly blues on which to ski. Anyone else gone skiing yet and, if so, where and how was it?
    Not yet. I'm taking the family to Vail in a few months. We've done Aspen the last 7-8 years, but decided to mix it up a bit.

Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
    Haven't ever been to Beaver Creek, but the locals in Vail as well as the concierge at the hotel we stayed at had things to say about it. Also, I believe BC typically receives the most snow of anywhere in Colorado so, if true, that's a plus.
    Very, very far from the truth that BC gets the most snow. Wolf Creek gets the most and Steamboat usually is a close second. Vail/BC/Breck/Keystone are tourist hell holes. Vail is the most overrated, crowded pile of shit skiing in Colorado. Go to Copper, Winter Park, Steamboat, Loveland, Wolf Creek or Monarch if you want a true skier's experience.

Snow skiing

Yep, Wolf Creek gets the most. Trying to plan a girls trip in the spring, prolly do Winter Park. This was the first year in a while I haven't been twice. Sadz.

For skiing in NM or Colo, Taos above all others

Snow skiing

Taos is great. I think my favorite skiing anywhere is Jackson Hole.

There are direct flights out of DFW to both Telluride(TEX) and Montrose(MTJ). The Telluride flights are a little pricey at $750. We're doing Montrose at $400. No need to rent a car. Everything is within walking distance once you get there. We'll take the shuttle from Montrose.

Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    For skiing in NM or Colo, Taos above all others

Taos has the famous Al's Run. Mogle after mogle after mogle. I felt as though I'd run a marathon after going down that one run.

Snow skiing

Ill wait til it melts (spend the time drinking in the lodge), then get knee deep in a stream and rip some lips.

Originally Posted by deadserious View Post
    Very, very far from the truth that BC gets the most snow. Wolf Creek gets the most and Steamboat usually is a close second. Vail/BC/Breck/Keystone are tourist hell holes. Vail is the most overrated, crowded pile of shit skiing in Colorado. Go to Copper, Winter Park, Steamboat, Loveland, Wolf Creek or Monarch if you want a true skier's experience.
    I think Copper and Steamboat are excellent choices!

There are direct flights out of DFW to both Telluride(TEX) and Montrose(MTJ). The Telluride flights are a little pricey at $750. We're doing Montrose at $400. No need to rent a car. Everything is within walking distance once you get there. We'll take the shuttle from Montrose.
    I can't speak to the skiing in telluride but I've visited there a few times in the spring/summer and it is a really cool town. It feels like a small town that also has ski runs whereas Vail and Beeck and beaver creek feel like resorts catered 100% to getting as many people skiing as possible. Telluride is a cool laid back town and feels like a real town and not a money-making tourist trap
    The following users like this post: Concussed

i skied Breck today. it was awful. but that's par for the course with breck early season on a holiday weekend. lines were massive by 10:30. i was quickly reminded why i never go there. conditions were as expected. blues were there for the tourists, up high was spotty and mostly shitty.

i have been up 6 times this year. mostly go to keystone though. with the Colorado Pass, it's my favorite for terrain and crowds. still a big Vail fan, but they extra 45 minutes there is a deterrent.

Snow skiing

I go at least once a week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Originally Posted by deadserious View Post
    Love Monarch. That's where I learned to ski/board. Never a long line at the lifts and plenty of snow. Because it's off the beaten path they're much cheaper than other places. Wasn't very impressed with the hotel, but there are plenty of cabins available for rent.

Snow skiing

Originally Posted by Julz View Post
    Love Monarch. That's where I learned to ski/board. Never a long line at the lifts and plenty of snow. Because it's off the beaten path they're much cheaper than other places. Wasn't very impressed with the hotel, but there are plenty of cabins available for rent.
    Me too, and at WP. We used to leave at midnight and drive all night - us kids in our jammies. We'd get there after lunch and ski half day while my dad took a nap. I can remember actually skiing in part of my jammies as a lil kid (then as I got older, worse).
    The following users like this post: Julz

Top of Monarch...I have skied damn near everything east of the Mississippi...

Nobody has mentioned Crested Butte...I never had a lift line...one day we decided to see how much vertical we could do...over 20k....

The following users like this post: McRib

Squaw Valley...Sierra Cement...it sucked

Snow skiing

Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    Nobody has mentioned Crested Butte...I never had a lift line...one day we decided to see how much vertical we could do...over 20k....

<3 me too.

Pajarito Mountain - luckily it is relatively small and private so it keeps out the Okie/texas riffraff that pretend they know how to ski.

Anybody been heli skiing? It's on my bucket list. I worked a season at Vail as a kid right out of high school. Had some great powder days. Can't imagine how cool a heli trip would be.

Snow skiing

I have some friends who heli skied in JH for his 40th bday, sounds amazing. I wanna.

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    I have some friends who heli skied in JH for his 40th bday, sounds amazing. I wanna.
    Me and you , British Columbia spring 2014!

Snow skiing

Me and you , British Columbia spring 2014!
    Yay!!

What I'm talkin about!
    http://youtu.be/PtuIE5kPkkg