Sleeping Dogs

Posted 662 day(s) ago 1392 Views 19 Replies

Sleeping Dogs

Picked up Sleeping Dogs to play over holiday vacation. Came out late in the summer, and I hadn't paid much attention to it... then is started showing up on a lot of "Best of 2012" lists and I saw it on sale at Target for $39.95, so I gave it a shot.

Best decision ever. It's a GTA-clone, set in Hong Kong... and has a lot of similarities to any sandbox style game... but the story is incredible. You play an undercover cop from San Francisco... brought over to infiltrate the Chinese mafia. Since guns are illegal in China... most of the combat is hand to hand, or hand to knife, or meat cleaver or tire iron. You'll find yourself surrounded by 10 dudes in a warehouse, and you systematically take them all out. Guns do play a big role as things progress and the combat system works well there too. But there is nowhere to just go buy as many guns as you want... so they are in limited supply. Driving is just awesome too... lots of cars and motorcycles... smoking through back alleys... you can hijack cars by leaping slo-mo out of the car you are in and yanking the driver out of the other car. Shooting out tires actually does what it would really do at 90 miles per hour... wrecks that shit. There are a lot of collectibles, and they actually accomplsh something. You have to find all the "health shrines" to build your maximum health... which you have to do if you plan to hang in there with 10 dudes with meat cleavers. You build your martial arts skills by finding jade stautes and returning them to the martial arts studio... there are lock boxes all over town, some guarded and some not... full of money, clothes or sometimes guns. You have seperate cop missions and triad missions, and you build points and gain skills for those as you complete them... there's street races, random people needing help and even karaoke... which you do actually have to do as part of a couple of missions.

I've gone on and on... but I could go on and on. Just finished the game last night, and I think I'll probably immediately replay it. If you like GTA or Saint's Row, you'll love Sleeping Dogs... you can probably get it on the cheap, used or on sale new too. Try it.
    3 users like soonerbornsoonerbrett's post: Bk2X, Bob Loblaw, mxATVracer10

Well worth it, bought it a few months ago but have only played it sporadically, looking forward to diving in more. I think I've barely scratched the surface.

Very good write up Bret! And I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. I picked it up to take the edge off my anticipation for GTA V and it worked nicely. I think the hardest part was driving on the left side of the road and remembering that I had to go to the passenger side to jack fools!

Nice review, sounds like I need to pick it up cause I really enjoy those style games...

Originally Posted by mxATVracer10 View Post
    Very good write up Bret! And I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. I picked it up to take the edge off my anticipation for GTA V and it worked nicely. I think the hardest part was driving on the left side of the road and remembering that I had to go to the passenger side to jack fools!
    HA! Did take a little while to pick that part up.

I made a post about it when it came out. Probably my favorite game of the year. Love the soundtrack and driving around the city is actually fun. Need to get around to playing the DLC.

Originally Posted by SoopaSooner View Post
    I made a post about it when it came out. Probably my favorite game of the year. Love the soundtrack and driving around the city is actually fun. Need to get around to playing the DLC.

Shoulda paid attention then, Soopa... I can't keep the radio off of Daptone. Love that stuff.

Man, it's $29 brand new on Amazon. Worth it?

http://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Dogs-...=sleeping+dogs

Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post

Go to BestBuy and you don't have to wait for it to ship. They're matching online prices now.

Meh. **** Best Buy. Amazon Prime all the way. I'll have it Saturday morning.

I'd go as far as to say it's worth full price... so $29 is an excellent deal.

Meh. **** Best Buy. Amazon Prime all the way. I'll have it Saturday morning.
    You're more patient than I am ... I'm a victim of the now mentality. I'd rather have something tonight than wait a day and a half for it.
    The following users like this post: Bob Loblaw

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    You're more patient than I am ... I'm a victim of the now mentality. I'd rather have something tonight than wait a day and a half for it.
    Well, tomorrow's a complete wash for important football reasons. That said, Best Buy would have to beat the price by at least 15% for me to drive to their shitty store. Price match? Please. Ha.

Well, tomorrow's a complete wash for important football reasons. That said, Best Buy would have to beat the price by at least 15% for me to drive to their shitty store. Price match? Please. Ha.
    Is there a game on during the day that's worth watching? And why the hate for BB?

Is there a game on during the day that's worth watching? And why the hate for BB?
    Tailgating for OU. I hate most brick-and-mortar stores. :-)
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Same here, I'd pay $5 more to have it right now than save money and get it on Saturday. I'm like that with everything. I wish I was more patient.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Sleeping Dogs

That said, Amazon Prime shipped it earlier and ill have it tomorrow. Best $79 I spend all year.

Prime is the shit.
    The following users like this post: El Jefe

If you have the rig to run it Sleeping Dogs is $17 on steam right now. Looks great on PC.

Sleeping Dogs

So far, really digging this game. And the fighting system is actually a lot of fun. Nothing like holding a guy's face up to an air conditioner fan and watch the blood fly.
    The following users like this post: soonerbornsoonerbrett