Oklahoma takes out ad for Dr. Tom

Posted 607 day(s) ago 3291 Views 54 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Interesting, yes. Cool, not really...more like confusing.

I don't generally like cheaters and politicians and he is both, therefore this Sooner does not admire nor respect him anywhere.

What is the context of the ad?

Very interesting, but also surprising. There are 2 very good reasons why OU should not be doing this. 1. Osborne deliberately embarrassed the Sooners during the John Bleak years. Yes, I agree that if you don't like getting your ass kicked, get better. But Osborne left his starters in for those drubbings as I recall - the only reason to do that was to humiliate the Sooner Nation. And 2. Osborne had a history of harboring violent criminals at Nebraska, particularly those that had a penchant for violent crimes against women. There is nothing to be respected or admired about that.
    6 users like SleestakkSooner's post: BajaOklahoma, BayAreaSooner, boomersooner53, CNCSOONER, Dr Sleep, PLAW

Today is his last day as AD.

A family member (I would love to be able to say former family member) is a Bugeater fan. I keep up with his posts just to see what he is doing.
    On Facebook, they have a group called Blackshirts and he commented on the ad, so I saw it. Most of them are impressed that OU did this. A couple of the people claim to live in Oklahoma and hate us, no mattter what.

**** Dr. Tom

How he let Lawrence Phillips play after all that shit is beyond me. Like many coaches, win at all cost! **** him.

Dr. Tom > Dr. Lou

Dr. Pepper>Dr. Tom>Dr. Lou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by SleestakkSooner View Post
    Very interesting, but also surprising. There are 2 very good reasons why OU should not be doing this. 1. Osborne deliberately embarrassed the Sooners during the John Bleak years. Yes, I agree that if you don't like getting your ass kicked, get better. But Osborne left his starters in for those drubbings as I recall - the only reason to do that was to humiliate the Sooner Nation. And 2. Osborne had a history of harboring violent criminals at Nebraska, particularly those that had a penchant for violent crimes against women. There is nothing to be respected or admired about that.
    You kidding? I cheered Tom for doing that. He was doing us all a favor by trying to send a message to OU to GET RID OF BLAKE.

I kind of agree with you that Osborne deliberately ran up the score on the Sooners. I've never had a problem with running up the score, even if it is done to my team. We were straight up bad from 1995-1998 with Schnellenberger and Blake but I can't help but think if Osborne had hung 60+ on us a couple of times because of personal reasons. Nebraska had some great teams in the 70s and 80s under Osborne. In fact, Nebraska had more wins than anybody in the 1980s (even more than OU and Miami), but Osborne could never quite get by Switzer. There were many times when Nebraska had us beat and "Sooner Magic" helped bail us out. Osborne didn't win his first national championship until well after Switzer was gone and OU had dropped
    from the top to mediocrity.

But Osborne left his starters in for those drubbings as I recall -
    You recall wrong. Osborne took his starters out at the end of the 3rd in both games against Blake.

People remember Scott Frost throwing 41 yard pass in the 3rd and called it "running up the score" when it made it 27-0.

In the rest of the game Nebraska had 4 TD drives of less than 30 yards and a kick off return for a TD.

Meanwhile Demond Parker scored 3 TDs in the 4th and ran for 141 yards against the Nebraska reserves. Nebraska was playing 3rd team running back Jay Sims throughout the 4th.

In the 69-7 game in 1997, Nebraska had their starters out by the beginning of the 4th with reserve QB Frankie London and Willie Miller doing the scoring.

Sleestakk, you need to stick to sunshine pumping and leave the fact finding up to us gloomer doomers.

Higher education? What was the reason Nebraska hated Texas for again?

Barry owned Tom and I think Osborne ranks among the top 2-faced coaches. Outside personna was so wholesome but he let a lot of bad guys get away
    with everything except murder at Cornshuker U. I would imagine they imported more steroids to build up all those RS linemen than any other school in the NCAA.
    2 users like 61sooner's post: BajaOklahoma, Dr Sleep

1. It pays respect to T.O. and a seemingly lost beloved rivalry game that many fans including myself wish would be rekindled.
    2. With the uncertainty of conference realignment, gestures of respect and appreciation could be reciprocated at some point down the road on OU's behalf.
    The following users like this post: BajaOklahoma

Screw Dr. Tom. He's partly responsible for the breakup of the B12.
    5 users like SoonerSapper's post: BajaOklahoma, CNCSOONER, Dr Sleep, Sooner5030, TIMB0B

Do we have some secret ****ing bonus program within the university for people who come up with shit like this so people can sit in a board room patting each other on the back saying how unbelievably nice they all are?

"look world!!! We are really nice! See. See. See. See.

**** Tom Osborn and his hypocritical ass and **** Nebraska!!
    2 users like Saul Good's post: boomersooner53, meandmybutt

"Dr. My Eyes"< Dr. Pepper< Dr. Tom< Dr.Lou (ssssufferin ssssucatassh)

didn't Dr. Tom keep a gun used by a corn-husker in a crime hidden from the police locked up in his office? this ad type crap is another David Boren bullshit "pr" move I'd bet my bottom dollar on it.
    2 users like boomersooner53's post: BajaOklahoma, Dr Sleep

Last edited by boomersooner53; January 1st, 2013 at 02:07 AM.

Lotta youngsters on here.
    The following users like this post: Breastman

Originally Posted by SoonerSapper View Post
    This.

1. If he valued the OU rivalry, he would have stayed in the Big 12. He didn't.

2. His anti-Texas whining over the year was very A&M-esque. Get over it.

As a result of #2, he made a decision that will hurt their football program for years.
    The following users like this post: BajaOklahoma

I am glad Switzer didn't have any thugs or criminals on any of his teams. They were all choir boys
    The following users like this post: Orange is ugly

He is a T.O. with about as much respect I have for the other T.O. One is a covert clown and the other an overt clown. lol

Well, I miss the old games with Big Red o' the North. But times change.

I'll always be grateful to NU for being good during the Dark 90s. I got a lot of vicarious football pleasure watching them roll... keeping upstarts K-state & Colorado in their place for the most part...

and then... in Red October... when Derrick Strait returned that oskie for a TD against #1 Nebraska, I knew OU was back!!

Yeah, like most other Sooner fans, I quickly grew to despise those #$%^&^** under Hillbilly Callahan. But that passed... and the Sooners beat them in the final Big XII CCG.....I wish them well nowadays.
    The following users like this post: freedombird

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    You recall wrong. Osborne took his starters out at the end of the 3rd in both games against Blake.

People remember Scott Frost throwing 41 yard pass in the 3rd and called it "running up the score" when it made it 27-0.In the rest of the game Nebraska had 4 TD drives of less than 30 yards and a kick off return for a TD.

Meanwhile Demond Parker scored 3 TDs in the 4th and ran for 141 yards against the Nebraska reserves. Nebraska was playing 3rd team running back Jay Sims throughout the 4th.

In the 69-7 game in 1997, Nebraska had their starters out by the beginning of the 4th with reserve QB Frankie London and Willie Miller doing the scoring.

Sleestakk, you need to stick to sunshine pumping and leave the fact finding up to us gloomer doomers.
    That's not the one that ticked off the OU fanbase. Frost (yes, he was still in the game) threw a 51 yarder off a freeze option in the 4th quarter of the '96 game to make it 52-0. OU had around 100 yards of total offense to that point & was absolutely no threat to come back at that point.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...7/96307343.htm

Personally, in retrospect, I'm not all that upset about it because as others have said, it sped up Blake's dismissal, but Osborne never admitting to it did disappoint me more than a little. If you do something like that, fine, it's your choice, but be a man & own up to it.

Jeez people. You can respect your opponent while still wanting to beat them. Even if you don't like them.

Osborne was a more than worthy opponent for almost 30 years. His Husker program is intricately woven into the history of Oklahoma Football.

It doesn't hurt to show some respect, especially after all these years.
    6 users like lash's post: Bob Swilkinson, Breastman, DHF, freedombird, SoonerFever, SpankyNek

Why? Why does OU do this?

Switzer would try to "hang half a hundred" on anyone he could. I just don't get the "he tried to run up the score" angle. OU Neb rivalry was one of mutual respect. Switzer owned Osborne, Osborne owned Gibbs and everyone thereafter. No reason to harbor hard feelings about it. Damn I wish we could get an annual game with Nebraska. It would really help with national perception, and gain alot of recruits IMO.
    The following users like this post: ouwasp

F UNL and F corn subsidies.

Let them suck B1G **** and choke on it.

Originally Posted by m2thakizzle View Post
    Switzer would try to "hang half a hundred" on anyone he could. I just don't get the "he tried to run up the score" angle. OU Neb rivalry was one of mutual respect. Switzer owned Osborne, Osborne owned Gibbs and everyone thereafter. No reason to harbor hard feelings about it. Damn I wish we could get an annual game with Nebraska. It would really help with national perception, and gain alot of recruits IMO.
    Not sure if serious.

**** him . . . go protect more woman beaters and murderers you piece of shit.
    The following users like this post: SleestakkSooner

Jeez, overreact much? Bunch of unabombers in here.

I am not mad about getting the score run up on us, we were bad and in one game Blake didn't even try to win as he rested his starters.
    I had forgotten that he hid a gun from police, sheesh, he should have been convicted of something for that.
    His walkon program was was a farce and should have gotten them put on probation.

**** that ****. I liked the Big 12 as it was. Partly his fault.

Originally Posted by OU Sam View Post
    I am glad Switzer didn't have any thugs or criminals on any of his teams. They were all choir boys
    And Switzer got slayed for it. Dr Tom on the other hand got a pass. Try and keep up......

And who cares about running up the score. Good for Nebraska and Osborn. Pretending to be holier than thou for all those years while being no different than the rival you are looking down your nose at, I say good riddance and **** you.
    2 users like Saul Good's post: BajaOklahoma, boomersooner53

Originally Posted by SoonerSapper View Post
    Texas had/has Nebraska's number and Dr. T couldnt deal with it. Texas ag/Mizzou/Colorado tired of the whorns as well. I think maybe the teams that left were the smart ones to distance themselves from the Texas B.S. I for one would like to see OU do the same.
    The following users like this post: boomersooner53

Originally Posted by Tug Medick View Post
    Jeez, overreact much? Bunch of unabombers in here.
    Overreaction? I think not . . .

Damon Benning beat his girlfriend and was charged with assault he didn't even sit a game for anything other than a strained hamstring.

Lawerence Phillips broke into Scott Frosts' home, beat his girlfriend black & blue, and threw her down a flight of stairs. Osborne fought to make sure he was re-instated in good standing to the University of Nebraska. Tom Osborne then tried to politically pressure the Lancaster County DA into dropping charges; "I don't tell Tom Osborne how to run the football department, and he should stay out of the criminal justice system. He hasn't done that at all." - Gary Lacey, District Attorney Lancaster County on September 25, 1995. Osborne actively contacted witnesses and victims and put forth pressure to change statements, not testify, and drop charges on his players. *Shockingly* Scott Frost did not cooperate with law enforcement about the matter after the first night of the initial incident.

Tyrone Williams was charged in March 1994 with two felonies, unlawful discharge of a firearm and use of a weapon to commit a felony, in connection with a Jan. 30, 1994, shooting. Tom Osborne and assistant coach Kevin Steele then took the gun from Williams and locked in a safe on his behalf! "When the chief of police and I learned that a gun wanted in connection with a felony shooting was in Osborne's possession when it should have been immediately turned over to the police, then you have evidence that is being withheld." Gary Lacey. Osborne's response to this . . . "Frankly, if anybody had asked, we would have given it to them sooner. No charges had been filed, so we didn't think anybody was anxious about it." Osborne over a year later admitted to Sports Illustrated reporter Michael Farber that he knew prosecutors were probably looking for the gun at the time he filed it away!!!

Christian Peter was sentenced to 18 months probation in May 1994 after he pleaded no contest to a charge of third-degree sexual assault brought by a former Miss Nebraska, Natalie Kuijvenhoven, who was then a Nebraska student. According to Osborne, Kuijvenhoven's lawyer contacted him about Peter, and Osborne says he suggested that all the parties, including Peter, meet in his office at the athletic department. But Kuijvenhoven would have none of it. "It's clear Osborne was trying to intimidate me in order to get rid of me before a trial would ever happen." - Natalie Kuijvenhoven. Osborne later made statements to the media that Christian Peter was "A model guy."

Riley Washington remained on the team even after he was charged with attempted 2nd degree murder!!! "I think there is a very, very good chance that Riley didn't do what he's accused of. I've talked to a lot of people.... I feel pretty comfortable about Riley's case." - Tom Osborne September 5, 1995. Once again Tom Osborne took it upon himself to contact witnesses and even attempted to contact the victim! Yeah, Jermaine Cole pulled a gun out and shot himself after graduate assistant Abdul Muhammad and cornerback Riley Washington assaulted him outside of a convenience store. On Sept. 13, Osborne told reporters, "At the preliminary hearing, the primary witness against Riley, the individual who was shot, indicated that Riley was wearing a polo shirt with three buttons and a hat. Riley was wearing a T-shirt, entirely a different color, and did not have a hat on. Another witness...could not identify Riley as the shooter." Compared to this statement from Gary Lacey "I didn't see Osborne at the preliminary hearing. We had two witnesses say, 'Riley Washington shot Jermaine Cole. I saw the gun. I saw him do it.' "

Don't feed me a bunch of bullshit about Osbourne being a class act and model citizen it fails the bullshit test.
    3 users like suncoastsooner's post: BajaOklahoma, boomersooner53, SleestakkSooner

Originally Posted by suncoastsooner View Post

Damon Benning beat his girlfriend and was charged with assault he didn't even sit a game for anything other than a strained hamstring.

Lawerence Phillips broke into Scott Frosts' home, beat his girlfriend black & blue, and threw her down a flight of stairs. Osborne fought to make sure he was re-instated in good standing to the University of Nebraska. Tom Osborne then tried to politically pressure the Lancaster County DA into dropping charges; "I don't tell Tom Osborne how to run the football department, and he should stay out of the criminal justice system. He hasn't done that at all." - Gary Lacey, District Attorney Lancaster County on September 25, 1995. Osborne actively contacted witnesses and victims and put forth pressure to change statements, not testify, and drop charges on his players. *Shockingly* Scott Frost did not cooperate with law enforcement about the matter after the first night of the initial incident.

Tyrone Williams was charged in March 1994 with two felonies, unlawful discharge of a firearm and use of a weapon to commit a felony, in connection with a Jan. 30, 1994, shooting. Tom Osborne and assistant coach Kevin Steele then took the gun from Williams and locked in a safe on his behalf! "When the chief of police and I learned that a gun wanted in connection with a felony shooting was in Osborne's possession when it should have been immediately turned over to the police, then you have evidence that is being withheld." Gary Lacey. Osborne's response to this . . . "Frankly, if anybody had asked, we would have given it to them sooner. No charges had been filed, so we didn't think anybody was anxious about it." Osborne over a year later admitted to Sports Illustrated reporter Michael Farber that he knew prosecutors were probably looking for the gun at the time he filed it away!!!

Christian Peter was sentenced to 18 months probation in May 1994 after he pleaded no contest to a charge of third-degree sexual assault brought by a former Miss Nebraska, Natalie Kuijvenhoven, who was then a Nebraska student. According to Osborne, Kuijvenhoven's lawyer contacted him about Peter, and Osborne says he suggested that all the parties, including Peter, meet in his office at the athletic department. But Kuijvenhoven would have none of it. "It's clear Osborne was trying to intimidate me in order to get rid of me before a trial would ever happen." - Natalie Kuijvenhoven. Osborne later made statements to the media that Christian Peter was "A model guy."

Riley Washington remained on the team even after he was charged with attempted 2nd degree murder!!! "I think there is a very, very good chance that Riley didn't do what he's accused of. I've talked to a lot of people.... I feel pretty comfortable about Riley's case." - Tom Osborne September 5, 1995. Once again Tom Osborne took it upon himself to contact witnesses and even attempted to contact the victim! Yeah, Jermaine Cole pulled a gun out and shot himself after graduate assistant Abdul Muhammad and cornerback Riley Washington assaulted him outside of a convenience store. On Sept. 13, Osborne told reporters, "At the preliminary hearing, the primary witness against Riley, the individual who was shot, indicated that Riley was wearing a polo shirt with three buttons and a hat. Riley was wearing a T-shirt, entirely a different color, and did not have a hat on. Another witness...could not identify Riley as the shooter." Compared to this statement from Gary Lacey "I didn't see Osborne at the preliminary hearing. We had two witnesses say, 'Riley Washington shot Jermaine Cole. I saw the gun. I saw him do it.' "

Don't feed me a bunch of bullshit about Osbourne being a class act and model citizen it fails the bullshit test.
    *Osborne

*Osborne
    Misspelling his name in an instance does not change the facts of the cases. Osborne, is and always a a piece of shit as a human being.

Misspelling his name in an instance does not change the facts of the cases. Osborne, is and always a a piece of shit as a human being.
    Lol

Switzer likes him, that's good enough for me.

Why didn't we do what normal people do and send him a letter?

Osborne was one big sorry ass piece of shit. Nothing classy or respectable about him. Every OU grad should be embarrassed that our university is making such a public statement about that scumbag!
    3 users like SleestakkSooner's post: boomersooner53, suncoastsooner, TenYards

I know why I hate the ad. Not only the person doesn't deserve it, but the purpose of the ad is not to congratulate Osborne, but to make OU look classy. That's why you have generic language in it. It's not that OU cares too much about Osborne, as much as it cares about its own image as a classy university.

Why the administration has this inferiority complex, is a mystery to me. They did the same for Bill Snyder, who used to call plays specifically to hurt OU QBs.

Ps: Just read the BS language used in that ad. It's just pathetic.
    3 users like TenYards's post: meoveryouxinfinity, Saul Good, suncoastsooner

again i bet this was a David Boren inspired idea i just don't understand why OU goes to these lengths to be loved when the fact is we just win to much to even be liked by these other schools
    The following users like this post: meoveryouxinfinity

Originally Posted by boomersooner53 View Post
    again i bet this was a David Boren inspired idea i just don't understand why OU goes to these lengths to be loved when the fact is we just win to much to even be liked by these other schools
    I know right. It's ****ing Tom-partial qualifier-Osborne. I don't think there is a dude that could give less ****s about academics than Osborne.

Originally Posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
    That's not the one that ticked off the OU fanbase. Frost (yes, he was still in the game) threw a 51 yarder off a freeze option in the 4th quarter of the '96 game to make it 52-0. OU had around 100 yards of total offense to that point & was absolutely no threat to come back at that point.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...7/96307343.htm

Personally, in retrospect, I'm not all that upset about it because as others have said, it sped up Blake's dismissal, but Osborne never admitting to it did disappoint me more than a little. If you do something like that, fine, it's your choice, but be a man & own up to it.
    After building a big lead and then allowing OU to score 3 TD’s DR Tom put many of his starters back into the game. After the game the media asked Dr. Tom about this, he said that OU had made a comeback on KSU and that’s why he put them back in….. I clearly remember this. ^

It’s not Nebraska’s fault that they scored an all-time record points on OU that day…. It’s OU’s fault…. but Nebraska sure as hell didn’t mind doing it…. As always I was there for every snap of the ball and recognized that most of the Nebraska fans were fully aware of the record score they set that day.

I don’t have anything against Osborne, Nebraska or about 95% of their fans.

Lol
    Great response...
    The following users like this post: suncoastsooner

While I suppose the newspaper ad could be considered a classy move by OU I am not sure what it accomplishes besides making Nebraska and a few OU people feel better for a relatively brief amount of time.

What is the value in that for OU? How does it help OU?

Is this the wisest use of OU resources?..... And who at OU decided to do this?

I have got to believe that this money could be better spent on low paid staff members, better equipment or even discounted tickets to help promote an OU sport.

If nothing else apply it toward OU debt or to an OU academic cause.