How will the Sooners finish Big 12 play?

Posted 663 day(s) ago by Mahler5161 Views 110 Replies
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Re: How will the Sooners finish Big 12 play?

Originally Posted by Cowboy1964adam View Post
    01/30/13 at Baylor L
    02/02/13 vs. Kansas State W
    02/04/13 at Iowa State L
    02/09/13 vs. Kansas L
    02/11/13 vs. TCU W
    02/16/13 at Oklahoma State L
    02/20/13 at Texas Tech W
    02/23/13 vs. Baylor W
    02/27/13 at Texas W
    03/02/13 vs. Iowa State L
    03/06/13 vs. West Virginia W
    03/09/13 at TCU W

How i think you'll finish. I think that puts you at 11-7.
    Id swap the at Texas and ISU games. I think thats probably a good guess.

Originally Posted by Bennie Owen View Post
    Sorry for the late reply, but here's my two cents:

01/05/13 at West Virginia W
    01/12/13 vs. Oklahoma State W

01/16/13 vs. Texas Tech W
    01/19/13 at Kansas State L
    01/21/13 vs. Texas W
    01/26/13 at Kansas L
    01/30/13 at Baylor W
    02/02/13 vs. Kansas State W
    02/04/13 at Iowa State L
    02/09/13 vs. Kansas L
    02/11/13 vs. TCU W
    02/16/13 at Oklahoma State W
    02/20/13 at Texas Tech W
    02/23/13 vs. Baylor W
    02/27/13 at Texas W
    03/02/13 vs. Iowa State W
    03/06/13 vs. West Virginia W
    03/09/13 at TCU W

To optimistic? Maybe.

I like how Kruger coaches against Baylor. We've always seem to play them tough.

At KSU and ISU will be a buzz saw, but I think them coming to the LNC will be a buzz saw for them, thus the split (get it...? buzz saw...).

OSU was not impressive last Saturday, and I kind of see last Saturday's game as a launching point for us, and the start of the decline for them.
    good call bennie.....
    u and i were the only ones that got this one right

So after last night, we're 5-2. Realistically, I'm expecting to lose 4 of the next 5 (vs KSU, @ ISU, vs KU, and @ OSU). HOWEVER, after that, we could easily finish on a 6-game winning streak and finish 12-6. If we can steal 1 of the next 3, that would be FANTASTIC.

I guessed 10-8, so I'd be ecstatic for 12-6 and #12 seed.

If we could just find some discipline and cut down on the damn turnovers...

Originally Posted by melbitoast View Post
    So after last night, we're 5-2. Realistically, I'm expecting to lose 4 of the next 5 (vs KSU, @ ISU, vs KU, and @ OSU). HOWEVER, after that, we could easily finish on a 6-game winning streak and finish 12-6. If we can steal 1 of the next 3, that would be FANTASTIC.

I guessed 10-8, so I'd be ecstatic for 12-6 and #12 seed.

If we could just find some discipline and cut down on the damn turnovers...
    we will win 2 of the next 5 for sure...(tcu/kstate).........and i expect the other 3 to be very close games....i think we'll beat ku at home.......osu/iowa state on the road are both very winnable games....
    hoping for a 2nd place conference finish.....but tech and texas on the road will not be easy games......

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    we will win 2 of the next 5 for sure...(tcu/kstate).........and i expect the other 3 to be very close games....i think we'll beat ku at home.......osu/iowa state on the road are both very winnable games....
    hoping for a 2nd place conference finish.....but tech and texas on the road will not be easy games......
    Yep. No such thing as an easy road game.

TCU is a gimmie, but you really think KSU is a slam dunk?? I mean, we let the KSU game in Manhattan get away from us. We had a shot until McGruder caught fire and we somehow forgot to guard him. I'm going with the worst case scenario (i.e. same thing happens). And Kansas?!?! Really?!? Do you know something I don't?? We played valiantly in Lawerence, but I just don't see us pulling a big upset. Again, just trying to take a realistic approach (from my view anyway) and set low expectations. I really hope you're right about KSU and KU. That would be awesome.

Iowa State is a beast this year, so I'm expecting a loss purly b/c it's on the road. OSU in Stillwater, have to take OSU unfortunately. Winnable? Yeah. But we have to get our shit together for those two.

Not scared of Tech or Texas. I know road games are not easy, but we played sloppy against them earlier this year and still destroyed one (Tech) and handled the other (Texas).

TCU is a gimmie, but you really think KSU is a slam dunk?? I mean, we let the KSU game in Manhattan get away from us. We had a shot until McGruder caught fire and we somehow forgot to guard him. I'm going with the worst case scenario (i.e. same thing happens). And Kansas?!?! Really?!? Do you know something I don't?? We played valiantly in Lawerence, but I just don't see us pulling a big upset. Again, just trying to take a realistic approach (from my view anyway) and set low expectations. I really hope you're right about KSU and KU. That would be awesome.

Iowa State is a beast this year, so I'm expecting a loss purly b/c it's on the road. OSU in Stillwater, have to take OSU unfortunately. Winnable? Yeah. But we have to get our shit together for those two.

Not scared of Tech or Texas. I know road games are not easy, but we played sloppy against them earlier this year and still destroyed one (Tech) and handled the other (Texas).

osu is our toughest game left....
    hopefully the team stays hungry/focused because any road game can end up a loss if they take it lightly....
    would really like to get a win in austin.....

osu is our toughest game left....
    hopefully the team stays hungry/focused because any road game can end up a loss if they take it lightly....
    would really like to get a win in austin.....
    Agree. ISU is a close 2nd to that. We can only hope that yesterday's win injects major confidence into this team. I finally saw improved discipline down the stretch yesterday, so that was encouraging.

So far, you and I are splitting this pretty close. REALLY glad KU came out in your favor. :-) Big-time program win there. Again, freakin KSU got away from us. ISU is a sleeping giant this year. Statistically, they should go far in the tourney. Like sweet 16 far. If we can win that one at home, that would be huge.

The scariest thing about all this is that 87Sooner predicted the wins over Baylor and KU.

I think we can handle ISU at home, I think we lose at OSU because that is a series that always splits. We should beat UT on the road, but they will be up for it since its OU. Man, what a joke Texas is this year. How do you not get in the top half of the big XII this year if you are Texas? LOL.
    I think @Tech and @TCU will be tough games, though. No easy ones on the road, especially down the stretch. We really need to hold home court and win at LNC.

Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
    The scariest thing about all this is that 87Sooner predicted the wins over Baylor and KU.

yeah...i was the only one that picked both of those correctly......but it was prolly just pure luck

yeah...i was the only one that picked both of those correctly......but it was prolly just pure luck
    LOL yeah... pretty amazing that we went 2-3 through that 5 game stretch, with wins @Baylor (semi-shocking) and against KU (shocking).

Toughest two games left on the schedule are OSU on the road and Baylor at home. Win those and they could potentially win out.

iowa st won't be easy if we can't defend against the 3....
    last year they came into norman and shot lights out and whipped us....
    they're the only team lon hasn't beaten yet..
    sumthin tells me texas will be waiting for us down in austin.....we really need to sweep the bottom feeders tech/tcu/texas.......

Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
    LOL yeah... pretty amazing that we went 2-3 through that 5 game stretch, with wins @Baylor (semi-shocking) and against KU (shocking).

not shocking at all....
    we have talent...we have depth....and most importantly....we now have coaching....
    the shocking game to me was the loss at home to kstate.......

My opinion of a quick review of the remaining schedules of the top 6 teams (in no order):
    1. OU has the easiest remaining schedule - 4 "tough" games w/ 2 on the road (@Sheepfuckers, BU, @Whorns, ISU)
    EDIT: (....wasn't scared of UT at first, but just saw they got Kabongo back - their "electric" point guard. Any contest at UT may need to be added to everyone's list)
    2. OSU has 2nd easiest - 4 tough games, but only 1 on the road (OU, KU, @ISU, KSU)
    3. KSU - 4 tough games, 3 on the road (@KU, BU, @BU, @OSU)
    4. KU - 4 tough games, 3 on the road (KSU, @OSU, @ISU, @BU)
    5. ISU - 4 tough games, 2 on the road (@BU, KU, @OU, OSU)
    6. BU - 5 tough games, 2 on the road (@KSU, ISU, @OU, KSU, KU)

1st biggie is tonight (KSU @KU). If KU wins, 6 teams will be within 1 game. That's crazy. This final month of the season is going to be insane for the Big 12. I'm looking forward to it!
    Last edited by melbitoast; February 11th, 2013 at 01:02 PM.

iowa st won't be easy if we can't defend against the 3....
    last year they came into norman and shot lights out and whipped us....
    they're the only team lon hasn't beaten yet..
    sumthin tells me texas will be waiting for us down in austin.....we really need to sweep the bottom feeders tech/tcu/texas.......
    We don't defend the 3. They will mud stomp us again. Even if they shoot 10 for 30 from the 3, that will be plenty of points to put us away. I hate saying that but I haven't seen anything yet to show we can handle 5 guys shooting 3s.

Originally Posted by Bk2X View Post
    We don't defend the 3. They will mud stomp us again. Even if they shoot 10 for 30 from the 3, that will be plenty of points to put us away. I hate saying that but I haven't seen anything yet to show we can handle 5 guys shooting 3s.
    then we better hope they have an off night....
    they lost in lubbock.......
    i still expect to pull out the win....

My opinion of a quick review of the remaining schedules of the top 6 teams (in no order):
    1. OU has the easiest remaining schedule - 4 "tough" games w/ 2 on the road (@Sheepfuckers, BU, @Whorns, ISU)
    EDIT: (....wasn't scared of UT at first, but just saw they got Kabongo back - their "electric" point guard. Any contest at UT may need to be added to everyone's list)
    2. OSU has 2nd easiest - 4 tough games, but only 1 on the road (OU, KU, @ISU, KSU)
    3. KSU - 4 tough games, 3 on the road (@KU, BU, @BU, @OSU)
    4. KU - 4 tough games, 3 on the road (KSU, @OSU, @ISU, @BU)
    5. ISU - 4 tough games, 2 on the road (@BU, KU, @OU, OSU)
    6. BU - 5 tough games, 2 on the road (@KSU, ISU, @OU, KSU, KU)

1st biggie is tonight (KSU @KU). If KU wins, 6 teams will be within 1 game. That's crazy. This final month of the season is going to be insane for the Big 12. I'm looking forward to it!
    February Madness!!!!!!
    2 users like SoonerDan74012's post: Irish_Sooner, melbitoast

iowa st lost in austin in double overtime last nite...

kabongo's first game back....

Kabongo's good. He changes Texas' outlook considerably.

Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Kabongo's good. He changes Texas' outlook considerably.
    True. That game in Austin will be tough. I say we win by 5 or 6.

Originally Posted by Stein7495 View Post
    True. That game in Austin will be tough. I say we win by 5 or 6.
    You might consider reserving a prediction until after we see how we D-up versus Smart sans Hield. Not saying Kabongo is as good as Smart, but it will give us a big clue as to how we're going to match up.

You might consider reserving a prediction until after we see how we D-up versus Smart sans Hield. Not saying Kabongo is as good as Smart, but it will give us a big clue as to how we're going to match up.
    Agreed. One player in basketball makes all the difference. Kabongo is good but the rest of the Texas team isn't. I might change my mind on my prediction depending on how we do against Smart and OSU this weekend.

Originally Posted by Stein7495 View Post
    Agreed. One player in basketball makes all the difference. Kabongo is good but the rest of the Texas team isn't. I might change my mind on my prediction depending on how we do against Smart and OSU this weekend.

texas has talent......we didn't walk all over them in norman....
    kruger gives us the edge....but i still think we prolly lose that game...
    i just haven't seen enuf consistency out of our team yet...especially on the road...
    hope i'm wrong...

i think we have a better chance of beating iowa st and baylor in norman

well, the networks showed barely any of the game down here in Austin, so I need other guys' help regarding how we looked against OSU (sans Buddy). The little bit of the game that was aired (last couple of minutes of reg EXCEPT the last minute...W...T...F...), I saw the refs sucked balls. Otherwise, it looked pretty close. Final stats showed that Smart pretty well owned our ass. Hopefully the same doesn't happen against Kabango.

well, the networks showed barely any of the game down here in Austin, so I need other guys' help regarding how we looked against OSU (sans Buddy). The little bit of the game that was aired (last couple of minutes of reg EXCEPT the last minute...W...T...F...), I saw the refs sucked balls. Otherwise, it looked pretty close. Final stats showed that Smart pretty well owned our ass. Hopefully the same doesn't happen against Kabango.
    Depends how many FTs the refs grant Kabongo for no reason.

We played well. Should have won if not for a few miscues and terrible calls in the last two minutes.

osu got a big lead early....they shot like 80% early in the first half......pledger and osby started out ice cold....
    we never lost composure or stopped playing defense.....when they cooled off and we heated up......we owned them and ended up with about an 8 point lead at half...
    second half we played well but the refs started calling everything osu's way......
    osu hit a couple of threes and they cut into our lead....
    then between the refs and one bad turnover by grooms.....they tied it up...
    one huge disappointment was when we had the ball with about 45 seconds left and grooms dribbled the shot clock down to 4 and kruger had to call a time out......then osby got a horrible shot and didn't even hit the rim....
    it was a great game....grooms/osby/pledger played like men possessed.....was disappointed with mbaye's contribution....clark/fitz played ok.........cousins couldn't handle the pressure.....hornbeak shot the long ball very well........
    the refs flat out stole this game....

Texas and Iowa St are the only two games I could see OU losing, but should handle Baylor, WVU, Tech, and TCU.

Originally Posted by mexican/ninja View Post
    Deal
    looks like you're gonna owe me 1000

Originally Posted by SoonerDan74012 View Post
    Texas and Iowa St are the only two games I could see OU losing, but should handle Baylor, WVU, Tech, and TCU.
    the way grooms is playing......i think we have a good shot to win in austin..... i think we'lll beat iowa st in norman...
    should finish no worse than 3-1.....

the way grooms is playing......i think we have a good shot to win in austin..... i think we'lll beat iowa st in norman...
    OU will win out the way Grooms is playing.

OU will win out the way Grooms is playing.
    i agree....but the board expert/basketball genius says he's not a d1 pg......so don't get your hopes up

We won't beat Iowa State unless we defend the 3 a hell of a lot better...than we did in Ames

Originally Posted by Sooner 4 Life View Post
    We won't beat Iowa State unless we defend the 3 a hell of a lot better...than we did in Ames
    There's no way in hell they shoot like that in Norman and haven't they only won twice on the road in Big 12 play this year????

There's no way in hell they shoot like that in Norman and haven't they only won twice on the road in Big 12 play this year????
    If they are that wide open again they may.

ISU still scares me. They barely lost in Stillwater and KU needed a miracle to beat them in Lawrence. However, they also have some head scratching losses. I think we need to hope for one of their off games. If they are on, I am not sure we would not have to be near perfect to beat them.

16/33 on 3's so far tonight.

I figure worst case 2-2 (beat TCU and WVU, lose UT and ISU). And that would still beat my prediction by 1 game. I went with 10-8 and a 4th place finish. Going 2-2 would make us 11-7 and probably give us 4th. That is awesome improvement. If we can go 3-1, that would be flat fantastic. I would REALLY like to see us beat ISU.

Regardless, 2 wins puts us at that magical 20-win mark, which we haven't seen in a while. That would feel so nice, especially for the players. 21-wins would be even sweeter. Go get 'em boys!!!

looks like you're gonna owe me 1000
    I hope so. Looks like it. As mentioned before, I hoped I would lose this bet. Damn proud of these guys....

Originally Posted by Slappyslapopolus View Post
    ISU still scares me. They barely lost in Stillwater and KU needed a miracle to beat them in Lawrence. However, they also have some head scratching losses. I think we need to hope for one of their off games. If they are on, I am not sure we would not have to be near perfect to beat them.
    same here. all they have to do is get hot from 3 and they can play with anyone in the country.

Originally Posted by mexican/ninja View Post
    I hope so. Looks like it. As mentioned before, I hoped I would lose this bet. Damn proud of these guys....
    i'll let you contact a mod to transfer your vcash to my account

2 more wins and i hit it dead on at 12-6....

it's amazing how close we were to being in 1st place right now....
    Last edited by 87sooner; March 3rd, 2013 at 08:30 PM.

3 losses very easily coulda been w's. each one more painful than the last
    The following users like this post: OnlyOne

Very upsetting b/c we should be AT LEAST 12-4 right now. OSU game was bullshit by the refs, and we blew the Texas game.

not in first. lol.

just kidding, guys. lets be friends.

Originally Posted by Winters View Post
    not in first. lol.
    So... Same place as KSU?

as expected...osu lost to iowa st tonite...
    if they lose saturday at home to kstate.....and we beat tcu....we finish 3rd....
    which would mean we play baylor instead of iowa st in our first game in kansas city...
    then we wouldn't have to play kansas in the second game.....

as expected...osu lost to iowa st tonite...
    if they lose saturday at home to kstate.....and we beat tcu....we finish 3rd....
    which would mean we play baylor instead of iowa st in our first game in kansas city...
    then we wouldn't have to play kansas in the second game.....
    What are the tiebreaker procedures after head to head?

Originally Posted by thurman murman View Post
    What are the tiebreaker procedures after head to head?
    Record against best opponents in the league.
    It would be all the same until it got down to Baylor, who we swept, and OSU split with, giving us the tiebreaker.