NFL SIAP: Landry Jones is the biggest enigma in the 2013 quarterback class.

By Bucky Brooks
    Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network

The Oklahoma senior is arguably the most talented quarterback prospect set to be available in the 2013 NFL Draft, but he might not hear his name called on the first day of the event. That is certainly a shocking development for a player who was once regarded as a possible No. 1 pick (prior to the 2011 season).

Part of Jones' slide can be attributed to a disappointing junior campaign that saw him complete 63.2 percent of his passes with a 29:15 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Most importantly, he was erratic in the Sooners' biggest games and showed a propensity for turning the ball over in critical moments. Jones' stock plummeted in the minds of evaluators based on his questionable decisions.

In 2012, Jones has shown flashes of brilliance, but he remains a mystery as a prospect despite putting up an impressive résumé. Jones has completed 66.4 percent of his passes with 27 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He's posted six 300-yard games, including back-to-back 500-yard games in the past two weeks. In addition, he has tossed at least two touchdown passes in nine of the Sooners' 11 games. Those numbers are certainly indicative of his potential as a franchise player, and suggest that he has the capacity to carry a team on the strength of his right arm.

On the other hand, Jones has been disappointing in each of the Sooners' two losses. His offense couldn't muster 20 points in either game, and Jones logged three turnovers, to boot. With those errors contributing greatly to the Sooners' failures, Jones' decision-making and poise under pressure remain in question.

After taking the time to conduct an extensive evaluation of Jones following Oklahoma's 51-48 overtime win over Oklahoma State, I've put together a breakdown of his game and pro potential:

Arm talent: Jones is the most gifted quarterback prospect in the 2013 class. He shows unbelievable arm strength and touch, and can make every throw in the book with tremendous zip and velocity. Whether it's the deep out from the opposite hash or the fly route down the boundary, Jones routinely delivers rope-like throws with tremendous pace. This allows him to fit the ball into tight windows between multiple defenders, completing the high-risk throws that elite quarterbacks must make with the game on the line. In addition, Jones shows good accuracy and ball placement when utilizing proper footwork and mechanics in the pocket. There are few physical deficiencies in his game; scouts love Jones' sheer talent and natural ability.

Mobility: Jones is a fluid athlete with average movement skills. Although he isn't an explosive runner like Robert Griffin III or Michael Vick, he shows enough quickness and agility to elude defenders in the pocket. Jones will step up in the pocket when the edges crumble; he also flashes the ability to pick up positive yardage on scrambles. Jones can make accurate throws on the run in either direction. This should allow him to thrive in a scheme that features bootlegs and sprint-outs, while also enabling offensive coordinators to utilize other movement-based passes from various formations. Given his athleticism, arm talent and versatility, Jones has the tools to be an impressive playmaker at the next level.

Game management: The most important aspect of playing quarterback is making sound decisions at all times. Jones has been maddeningly inconsistent in this area of the game. He routinely blunders under pressure; his penchant for turning the ball over in these moments is certainly a concern. While studying Jones this season, I've been shocked at the number of times he throws the ball into traffic to avoid a sack or big hit in the pocket. For instance, Jones' only interception against Oklahoma State occurred when he avoided the initial rusher in the pocket and attempted to make a heroic throw into traffic instead of throwing the ball away for a harmless incompletion. Jones must reduce his mistakes from the pocket.

Jones shows adequate instincts and awareness in the pre-snap phase of the game. He appears to have a solid understanding of defensive fronts and coverages, allowing him to make changes at the line of scrimmage based on the defensive look. While some of those changes are dictated to Jones by offensive coaches on the sideline, he will occasionally walk to the line and change the play on his own. In addition, Oklahoma's system features a series of packaged plays that instruct the quarterback to run the assigned play or throw bubble screens against a favorable look. This puts the onus on Jones to determine the proper call and get the ball into the hands of the designated playmaker. With more pro teams instituting similar concepts, Jones should be familiar with at least some of the pre-snap responsibilities placed on NFL quarterbacks.

Clutch factor: Quarterbacks are ultimately judged by their ability to lead their team to victory in big games. Jones hasn't fared well in the Sooners' biggest games over the past two seasons. In the final five games of 2011, Jones completed just 57.4 percent of his passes and posted a 3:8 touchdown-to-interception ratio. He recorded just one 300-yard game during that stretch after opening the season with seven such efforts in the Sooners' first eight contests. Jones' futility over the final month of last season led to concerns about his composure in big games in the scouting community.

This season, Jones has been more efficient in big games (such as against Kansas State and Notre Dame), but he is still plagued by critical errors in key moments. He fumbled and threw a costly interception against the Wildcats and couldn't make a big play in the red zone to score on the Irish. While a number of quarterbacks have struggled against those respective defenses, the fact that Jones couldn't deliver when it mattered most will certainly cost him points in the eyes of evaluators.

Conclusion: Jones is underrated, in my mind, due to his remarkable physical tools. He possesses all of the attributes that you look for at the position, and creative offensive coordinators will be intrigued by his ability to make all of the throws. While his decision-making and poise under pressure remain concerns based on his play throughout 2012, I believe he has made significant strides over the past year. Insightful evaluators will keep him in the mix as a possible franchise quarterback. Without a unanimous selection as the top quarterback prospect in the 2013 class, it wouldn't surprise me to see Jones enjoy a late rise up the charts following all-star games and pre-draft workouts.

At this point in the process, my draft grade on Landry Jones would be: middle of the second round.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...2013-nfl-draft
    The following users like this post: 55-17beatdown2011

His mobility evaluation was written on Opposite Day.
    The following users like this post: SoonerRO

SIAP: Landry Jones is the biggest enigma in the 2013 quarterback class.

The best thing I think could happen to Landry. A decent team will pick him up and he will actually do well. Unlike Sam Bradford, I wish I could be happy for Bradford but the Rams are just going to kill him.

This is pretty much what I think. I think he is too talented to drop to the third round, and he will be impressive at the draft combines. Plus he'll be good in interviews, etc. and staffs know he won't be a problem off the field.
    Certainly not worthy of a top 5 pick, though, imo.
    Which is probably a good thing if it means he goes to a better team because of it.

My take has been that if the draft was today, he'd be a late first, early second day guy. Since it's not and lots of scouts are going to see him, namely his physical abilities, and his bad decision making won't be front and center, he'll move up the board between now and the draft. When he starts moving up, and people start talking about his arm, he's going to move up a lot b/c of the buzz. I won't be surprised wherever he goes. If he goes top 10 it won't surprise me, and if he goes 4th round it won't surprise me.

LJ is not NFL ready but could prosper in the right system with some time to work. Denver or NE would be ideal spots
    The following users like this post: RenegadeSooner

If Tannehill is a first rounder, then Landry is a first rounder. The WVU and OSU games should show he can be clutch which seems to be the only concern on him. How many games did aTm blow in the fourth quarter last hear, yet Tannehill got a first round pass?
    5 users like Rowdyroady's post: BraveSooner, DHF, meoveryouxinfinity, RenegadeSooner, Sooners2007

Originally Posted by Rowdyroady View Post
    If Tannehill is a first rounder, then Landry is a first rounder. The WVU and OSU games should show he can be clutch which seems to be the only concern on him. How many games did aTm blow in the fourth quarter last hear, yet Tannehill got a first round pass?
    Tannehill wasn't making mental mistakes triggering those meltdowns. A&M was out of shape and ran out of gas late in games that year.

I think Landry is a better Christian than Tebow. So he's got that going for him.
    3 users like Turk's post: BajaOklahoma, Julz, Sir Bevedere

Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    I think Landry is a better Christian than Tebow. So he's got that going for him.

Now that is some good shit.

Really good evaluation of LJ. Spot on in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by 55-17beatdown2011 View Post
    Really good evaluation of LJ. Spot on in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.
    You're welcome.....

Although he isn't an explosive runner like Robert Griffin III or Michael Vick
    What? Get right out of town!!!!

I agree with the draft spot he's predicting but a little surprised he failed to mention that LJ was hurt badly by Broyles absence at the end of the last season and when evaluating poise in clutch moments the stretch at the end of this season and the game winning throws should at least be noticed. I know those Ds sucked big time by but to be fair it should've been pointed out because he wouldn't have made them last year.

He scrambles for positive yardage? When?

Good article and accurate. In short, LJ is a good skilled QB but dumb. His wimpyness & intelligence has cost us games. And it's a shame too because of all these years at OU he hasn't learned or overcome his brain farts, which leads one to believe that is his nature. THAT will make him a short timer in the NFL IMHO.
    The following users like this post: sooner68

Disagree with the mobility discussion. I think he's below average in terms of scrambling ability. He is moving in the pocket better this year though.

I also think that the end of last year isn't necessarily fair to judge Landry by. Our WR corps absolutely sucked at the end of last year and we had zero threat of a running game once Whaley went down.

I think when all is said and done, Landry will be a mid to late first round pick.

Does the usage of Bell help or hurt him?

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Tannehill wasn't making mental mistakes triggering those meltdowns. A&M was out of shape and ran out of gas late in games that year.
    Wut?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...s-buyer-beware

Originally Posted by Kingpen View Post
    Good article and accurate. In short, LJ is a good skilled QB but dumb. His wimpyness & intelligence has cost us games. And it's a shame too because of all these years at OU he hasn't learned or overcome his brain farts, which leads one to believe that is his nature. THAT will make him a short timer in the NFL IMHO.
    he'll get his shot but likely will end up a mid term back up. His arm skill keep him around for few years. JMO

Does the usage of Bell help or hurt him?
    The Belldozer and complete absence of a tight end has ensured Landry has very few red zone TDs.

Originally Posted by TheLadiesMike View Post
    The Belldozer and complete absence of a tight end has ensured Landry has very few red zone TDs.
    Also very few RZ failures, and no 3rd and short failures.

Last edited by soonerintn; July 19th, 2013 at 10:31 PM.

Landry Jones is Matt Schaub's little brother

Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    Jason white was just as bad, if not worse than jones at throwing the ball away and a lot of you guys cream all over white. White was horrible at checking down or throwing it away. Jones is pretty good at checking down, but not real consistent when throwing it away. That is one of jones glaring faults.

We have had several quarterbacks have that issue and I think this may be a product of our coaching. They seem to be preaching to "make a play" as opposed to just game management and avoiding the bad play.
    Jason White would bomb an opponent like the US bombing Bagdad. His deep ball was a thing of beauty.
    2 users like Turk's post: OUn8v, sooner68

Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    Jason white was just as bad, if not worse than jones at throwing the ball away and a lot of you guys cream all over white. White was horrible at checking down or throwing it away. Jones is pretty good at checking down, but not real consistent when throwing it away. That is one of jones glaring faults.

We have had several quarterbacks have that issue and I think this may be a product of our coaching. They seem to be preaching to "make a play" as opposed to just game management and avoiding the bad play.
    White was TOUGH...and go back and watch, he came up big when he needed to, same as JH he was big in big games. To me, LJ gets ripped alot because he seems to make mistakes when we need him most.
    2 users like H82Lose's post: oucub23, sooner68

Imagine if White had played 4 full seasons....or even 3.

With two healthy knees.

Originally Posted by SoonerDan74012 View Post
    With two healthy knees.
    Or even one.

Another bash Landry thread, cool!
    2 users like OUEverest's post: oorah_okie, SoonerArtillery

Originally Posted by OUEverest View Post
    Is that what you got out of reading this whole thread?

Those 3 INTs against osu in a loss weren't mental mistakes? Those 3 INTs against OU in a loss weren't mental mistakes? Those 3 INTs against ut in a loss weren't mental mistakes?
    The following users like this post: Irish_Sooner

Originally Posted by ozz View Post
    Those 3 INTs against osu in a loss weren't mental mistakes? Those 3 INTs against OU in a loss weren't mental mistakes? Those 3 INTs against ut in a loss weren't mental mistakes?
    no, he was just tired...

He needs to go to africa and castrate some underpriveleged kids before you can make that claim

Landry is better than white or heuple you dumbfucks

Jason White would bomb an opponent like the US bombing Bagdad. His deep ball was a thing of beauty.
    Jason threw the best deep ball of any college QB I've ever seen. But he did have a tendency to throw it up for grabs at times.

His 13 for 37 against LSU with a pick 6 for the winning TD hurts his overall body of work.

One water tower isn't enough?

Originally Posted by 85sooners View Post
    Really? I am not saying either way...I dont know who is better, but JH won a national championship, and White the Heisman.

The following users like this post: SteveO1107

Re: SIAP: Landry Jones is the biggest enigma in the 2013 quarterback class.

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    Jason threw the best deep ball of any college QB I've ever seen. But he did have a tendency to throw it up for grabs at times.

His 13 for 37 against LSU with a pick 6 for the winning TD hurts his overall body of work.
    Playing hurt will do that.

Fvckin it live via tapatalk dos

Re: SIAP: Landry Jones is the biggest enigma in the 2013 quarterback class.

Originally Posted by soonerdad2002 View Post
    He needs to go to africa and castrate some underpriveleged kids before you can make that claim
    Maybe he has but didn't feel the need to publicize it.

Fvckin it live via tapatalk dos

2 users like soonerintn's post: RenegadeSooner, soonirvana

Last edited by soonerintn; July 19th, 2013 at 10:31 PM.

Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    Really? I am not saying either way...I dont know who is better, but JH won a national championship, and White the Heisman.
    And I will got out on a limb and say he will be the better qb in the NfL than Bradford and before anyone says if he gets on a better team than the rams he will heuple & white were on better teams than Landry was

Originally Posted by OUEverest View Post
    Why is it every time someone gives an accurate assessment of Landry certain folks consider it bashing the guy? It's not bashing when it's true.

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Why is it every time someone gives an accurate assessment of Landry certain folks consider it bashing the guy? It's not bashing when it's true.
    Because it usually turns into a shitfest, like post #39. Hasn't been as bad since byrk was banned, though.
    The following users like this post: lobster999

Is that what you got out of reading this whole thread?
    The pumper boys have to get their shot in.
    The following users like this post: Turk

And I will got out on a limb and say he will be the better qb in the NfL than Bradford and before anyone says if he gets on a better team than the rams he will heuple & white were on better teams than Landry was
    I'll say you're out of your mind. And I'm not on a limb.

I'll say you're out of your mind. And I'm not on a limb.
    Yes judging by your Tannehill perception you are clearly not on any limbs

If Landry gets drafted by someone like the Vikings in the second round he could easily take over as the starter. He would almost definitely have more success than Sam there. Even an early selection like Arizona would be great for him. Both of those teams have much more offensive firepower than the Rams.

Originally Posted by Irish_Sooner View Post
    Yes judging by your Tannehill perception you are clearly not on any limbs
    Eh, I stand by what I said. A&M was out of shape. I watched them melt down several times. When your team is gassed, nobody is going to look good on it.