Running Windows on a Mac

Posted 628 day(s) ago 1158 Views 33 Replies

Running Windows on a Mac

Yes/no? I'm leaning toward using windows for work and then using the mac side for personal. I've read the tutorials on how to do this via bootcamp but my question is: Do you have to use a specific version of windows? I've read a few articles that say only XP sp2 or 3 will work. Any suggestions? TIA

Bootcamp is ok if you want to run Windows natively. I use VMware Fusion with XP and it runs just fine. To test the video I installed Bioshock (PC) and set the video at high setting and it ran superb. I have allocated 2 GB of RAM to the virtual machine. Parallels and VMware Fusion are great choices. I like VMware, I use it at home and at work we have it installed on >4,000 workstations without a hitch.

I'm running VMware right now. It boils down to if you want to reboot to run natively or which virtual machine package offers the best options for you.

VMware used to have free upgrades. =(

Running Windows on a Mac

I run windows using VMware on my MacBook pro. The sole purpose is this stupid account management system we use. Running xp (pro or business I think)

I do this on my work Mac. Bootcamp partitions the Mac harddrive to allow Windows (any version) to be installed. Then its a matter of "booting" back and forth from each OS, depending on what your doing.

Check the software requirements whether its bootcamp, parallels or vmware

Originally Posted by Sooner Jake View Post
    I run windows using VMware on my MacBook pro. The sole purpose is this stupid account management system we use. Running xp (pro or business I think)
    I'm running XP Pro.

I use VirtualBox ('cause it's free) and have an XP VM on my Mac. The only down side to VirtualBox that I've found is the fact that USB devices don't work. It's not really a big deal for me (and if I had to have something I could mount it on my Mac, share it to the VM and then map the drive in Windows) as I only use the Windows box a few times each year. There are several folks who use them all day every day and they also seem to be plenty happy about how it works.

If you go with some type of VM be sure and have plenty of memory or you'll find it's pretty slow.

Thanks for the responses. That answers a lot of questions. I didn't know if spending the extra money for VM or parallels was worth it. I don't have to run them side by side. I do have to have the USB ports active though as I have to download and send quite a few pictures. I was really wanting to just run my OS with MS Office but have had just enough trouble I think it would be easier to run windows for all of my business stuff and reboot to OS for my personal pics, iTunes etc... Also going to start keeping all business records in folders. Any recommendations for external hard drives for my macbook pro that I'll be running on windows?

Windows cannot read Mac formatted drives. You'll have to install software to read Mac formatted hard drives. If you use Airport Disk you won't have to install any additional software.

Free:
    http://www.catacombae.org/hfsx.html

Don't be poor:
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive

What is all said i have run VMware and Parallels. Right now I'm running VMware w/ Mac OSX, Windows 7 and Windows 8 all on my mac. I originally had bootcamp but it was a PITA to have to log off and shut down all my applications and reboot in the opposite platform. I really like Vmware b/c i can run it through my VM or run applications straight through my MAC. (not sure if that made sense) but if you look up the stuff you will see.

Originally Posted by Soonerp View Post
    Thanks for the responses. That answers a lot of questions. I didn't know if spending the extra money for VM or parallels was worth it. I don't have to run them side by side. I do have to have the USB ports active though as I have to download and send quite a few pictures. I was really wanting to just run my OS with MS Office but have had just enough trouble I think it would be easier to run windows for all of my business stuff and reboot to OS for my personal pics, iTunes etc... Also going to start keeping all business records in folders. Any recommendations for external hard drives for my macbook pro that I'll be running on windows?
    Your Mac can read NTFS so just get a Windows drive and don't sweat it.
    The following users like this post: Soonerp

this is something i'll be facing next week when my imac arrives....
    i've had pc's forever.....never had a mac before...
    my stock trading software is not available for mac os
    not sure what i'll do...
    there aren't many trading/analysis platforms available for mac..
    i really hate to have to run windows on a mac

Originally Posted by Soonerp View Post
    With VMware Fusion you can decide whether to attach your USB device to the Mac directly or to the Windows VM. MS Office is a bloated pig of a package, whether you're running it native or in a VM. You may need to tweak your Windows VM memory settings a bit to get the best combination of performance for your Office stuff. Really not a big deal... much, much more productive than rebooting to switch OS.

Originally Posted by SirPrize View Post
    Bootcamp is ok if you want to run Windows natively. I use VMware Fusion with XP and it runs just fine. To test the video I installed Bioshock (PC) and set the video at high setting and it ran superb. I have allocated 2 GB of RAM to the virtual machine. Parallels and VMware Fusion are great choices. I like VMware, I use it at home and at work we have it installed on >4,000 workstations without a hitch.

I'm running VMware right now. It boils down to if you want to reboot to run natively or which virtual machine package offers the best options for you.

VMware used to have free upgrades. =(

4,000+ workstations running Fusion or View?

Re: Running Windows on a Mac

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    this is something i'll be facing next week when my imac arrives....
    i've had pc's forever.....never had a mac before...
    my stock trading software is not available for mac os
    not sure what i'll do...
    there aren't many trading/analysis platforms available for mac..
    i really hate to have to run windows on a mac
    So why did you get one?

Originally Posted by ArbySooner View Post
    So why did you get one?
    i've had some annoying issues with my last 2 or 3 pc's that i couldn't solve..
    i also like the sound of time machine external storage/automatic back-up on the mac....

This concept is like eating a wonderful steak with ketchup.

Originally Posted by SoonerAmongThePack View Post
    This concept is like eating a wonderful steak with ketchup.
    it's amazing that with the proliferation of mac products...there are still so many products that are windows only...
    so what do you do?

it's amazing that with the proliferation of mac products...there are still so many products that are windows only...
    so what do you do?
    Most high quality software do make versions for both OSs, but you are right, there are still a large number that don't. In that case you have to if there's a piece of software that doesn't comply.

Still makes me queasy. Honestly I haven't messed much with Windows 8, but I despise XP and aren't thrilled with Windows 7. No PCs in my house for personal use anymore.

so what do you do?
    If it's just your stock trading software, then it won't be too bad. It'll be just like running a separate application. If you find yourself in that application for long periods of time, then it will suck.

And I agree with earlier posts, VMWare is the way to go.

If it's just your stock trading software, then it won't be too bad. It'll be just like running a separate application. If you find yourself in that application for long periods of time, then it will suck.

And I agree with earlier posts, VMWare is the way to go.
    i have it open during market hours.....so it will suck...
    one option may be to just run my trading software on an old windows laptop...
    if i can't find a mac platform that i like..

i have it open during market hours.....so it will suck...
    one option may be to just run my trading software on an old windows laptop...
    if i can't find a mac platform that i like..
    I'd at least give VMWare a go before resorting to using a different machine for it. Best of luck. You will love your iMac other than this portability issue.

I'd at least give VMWare a go before resorting to using a different machine for it. Best of luck. You will love your iMac other than this portability issue.
    so what does vmware cost?
    also need to have a copy of windows on disk right?
    not sure if i have any from my old machines.....they were all pre loaded so i doubt i have a disk...

VMWare Fusion v5 is $99 and can be purchased here: http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/

Good article on how to install Windows 8 Standard on VMWare.

http://dailymactips.com/2012/11/13/h...vmware-fusion/

Includes link to purchase Windows 8 System Builder DVD through Amazon (additional $99). Be careful not to buy in stores as most Windows 8 copies are upgrades, not full versions like shown below.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&tag=pcco02-20

Originally Posted by xunil View Post
    4,000+ workstations running Fusion or View?
    Fusion. I recommend View. Not my money.

Running Windows on a Mac

I run paralles at work to use a program that is only available for windows. I like it considering using windows on a Mac is like putting a Chevy 350 in a Mercedes.
    The following users like this post: SirPrize

i will prolly go with vmware...
    should i use xp/7/8?

i will prolly go with vmware...
    should i use xp/7/8?
    The following users like this post: SirPrize

Yeah use 7. It can run all the new microsoft development packages (if you code/program) and also is great. I have W8 and hate it on my mac thus I use 7.

Running Windows on a Mac

You have a CS degree and a machine with 12GB of memory.

Do you want to only be able to access 3.3 of that memory in your environment?

It may even be virtual (i dont know how VMware allocates memory) so I would just go with 64bit. It isn't going to cost anymore and you can access so much more with it.

Running Windows on a Mac

32 or 64 bit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

been running windows on mac via vmware a little over a week........works great......super easy to install....no issues whatsoever........seamless operation