Your politics and the Univ of Oklahoma

Posted 719 day(s) ago 2114 Views 68 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

OU grads.......how did attending and graduating from the University of Oklahoma influence your politics? Did it make you more liberal or conservative? Did your time there make you more politically involved?

It seems every person I know that graduated from Oklahoma State came out extremely rightwing conservative. The OSU political board chases off any lib that happens to post over there.

We all know Oklahoma is about as right as they come.....but where does it start?

Originally Posted by Breastman View Post
    OU grads.......how did attending and graduating from the University of Oklahoma influence your politics? Did it make you more liberal or conservative? Did your time there make you more politically involved?

It seems every person I know that graduated from Oklahoma State came out extremely rightwing conservative. The OSU political board chases off any lib that happens to post over there.

We all know Oklahoma is about as right as they come.....but where does it start?
    I grew up in NW OKC. OU was a life-saving oasis.
    Last edited by nocalsooner; January 2nd, 2013 at 11:40 PM.

i was a math/computer science major.....
    ou did nothing to alter my worldview..

Grew up a hopeless, furtureless neocon. Undergrad probably made me slightly more apathetic, but still neocon. Law school turned me into the moderate libertarian I am today.

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    i was a math/computer science major.....
    ou did nothing to alter my worldview..
    this, engineering major...OU did nothing to change my political view

business major...did nothing at all to change it

OU was a great information/cultural resource for me. I'm lucky to have attended. But I'm fairly sure I would have ended up where I am politically no matter where/if I went to college.

I graduated from Oklahoma City University, which is easily the most liberal college in the state.

I graduated growing increasingly frustrated with both the liberals and the conservatives. I went in with some sympathy for liberal leanings and left completely abhorred by them. I went in being fairly conservative, and left with only a faint amount conservative principles in my worldview.

I was pushed hard into the middle.

OU didn't really do anything to change my political views. I've always been moderate but leaning more left than right on most issues. I do agree, OSU is a very conservative school overall and OU is more liberal. My dad's an OU grad as well and he's from OKC. Its not really the same way today as it was 50 years ago but I remember when I was younger, he explained to me how Oklahoma State is typically more conservative because the majority of the student body came from more rural backgrounds from places like Miami, Idabel, Guymon, Bartlesville, etc. while the OU student body typically came from urban backgrounds like Tulsa, OKC, Dallas, etc. thus having an effect on the political views of the two schools.

Went to OU as a Sean Hannity listening Great American. Left the business college as the center left person you see today. Most of my transformation happened in the final two semesters, summer and fall 2008, when I lived in Europe and watched the start of a crisis and then went through the September and October crash.

Don't see how I'll change, but I am more of an American liberal than a leftist anymore. Leftism is retarded.

I got into OU twice, but chose UCO instead. It lowered my IQ immediately. Political views are not changed though.

Go away, David.
    5 users like OnlyOneOklahoma's post: canyonero, fdubzou, LetsgoSooners82, oucub23, TIMB0B

College changing your political views? All I was worried about in college was playing ball and chasing tail, with a little education on the side.
    4 users like Tundra's post: Clark W. Griswold, LetsgoSooners82, Sooner5030, URNotserious

I would never have been able to attend OU when I did without need based aid. That point alone was instrumental in the continuation of the leftward lean of my politics. Throw in a large contingent of philosophy courses and there you go...
    3 users like SpankyNek's post: McRib, OnlyOneOklahoma, TenYards

Went to OU as a democrat as was most of my family. Not very ideological other than I enjoyed seeing older conservatives get upset with the long hair, hippy look. I had decent professors, a few of them libs. None impacted me politically.

Switched from marketing to Petroleum Land management in 1974 and that began my change to being a pub. I would have probably ended up as a pub anyway but the career change hastened that change.

Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    College changing your political views? All I was worried about in college was playing ball and chasing tail, with a little education on the side.
    Exactly. Hell, I even watched much much less football in college. Dont tell OU48 or I am in trouble for being a bad fan.

Originally Posted by URNotserious View Post
    Exactly. Hell, I even watched much much less football in college. Dont tell OU48 or I am in trouble for being a bad fan.
    I watched a lot less too. I was at all the home games, but I don't think what they were doing many of those years could be called football.
    2 users like oucub23's post: McRib, URNotserious

SoonerBounce Guest

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    I would never have been able to attend OU when I did without need based aid. That point alone was instrumental in the continuation of the leftward lean of my politics. Throw in a large contingent of philosophy courses and there you go...
    So conservatives are against aide?

Were you with Ace Ventura in the Tibetan Monestary?

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    In general, yes. A conservative would never be for a social tool like the Pell Grant. Possibly loans...

Why must you Bounce everything up?

Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    Were you with Ace Ventura in the Tibetan Monestary?
    No, but I was in Philosophy of Eastern Religion with Dr. Tom Boyd...

Eaastern religion....that could encompass a lot of territory.

Too late for Clayton Feaver?

SoonerBounce Guest
    Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    Why must you Bounce everything up?
    i asked a serious question b/c he pretyt much said he thinks the way he does b/c he accepted aid

i took his comparitive religions class. guy was weird

Eaastern religion....that could encompass a lot of territory.

Too late for Clayton Feaver?
    Pretty much centered upon Buddha and Confucious...dabbled a bit with Hunduism. We touched on Shinto as well.

Feaver Died my Soph Year...I don't think he was still teaching, but I cant remember. Boyd was the guy that did the prayer before the football games for many years.

Pretty much centered upon Buddha and Confucious...dabbled a bit with Hunduism. We touched on Shinto as well.

Feaver Died my Soph Year...I don't think he was still teaching, but I cant remember. Boyd was the guy that did the prayer before the football games for many years.
    I used to get a kick out of feaver ( the only philosophy class I had). He used to grab someone out of the class and make them skip down the aisle with him in dale hall.

In general, yes. A conservative would never be for a social tool like the Pell Grant. Possibly loans...
    Not true.

Not true.
    If so, it would be in spite of his conservatism. The PELL is the penultimate in wealth redistribution.

If so, it would be in spite of his conservatism. The PELL is the penultimate in wealth redistribution.
    I guess we are defining (fiscal)conservatism differently. Most conservatives would infact be in favor of PELL because unlike TANF, it goes towards paying a college degree which even if it does not make a person wealthy monetarily it enriches them in other ways.

A wealth redistribution by way of getting a job(after procuring a degree paid for by the tax payers) isnt what the (most)conservatives oppose. Its the cash handouts based on progressive taxation. In my particular case I dont even oppose progressive taxation, but redundant taxation i.e. Estate taxes and the rhetoric of the liberals where they continue claiming that the rich do not pay their fair share which is well, erroneous at best.
    3 users like URNotserious's post: cosmoxl, oucub23, ThievingMagpie

That's a broad stroke right there. Republicans want to manage social tools and anytime that is brought up democrats run to the media and cry to voters about the GOP trying to get rid of it. They need managed better and they need to be changed. But that doesn't buy votes and have catchy slogans as rallying cries.

Originally Posted by URNotserious View Post
    I guess we are defining (fiscal)conservatism differently. Most conservatives would infact be in favor of PELL because unlike TANF, it goes towards paying a college degree which even if it does not make a person wealthy monetarily it enriches them in other ways.

A wealth redistribution by way of getting a job(after procuring a degree paid for by the tax payers) isnt what the (most)conservatives oppose. Its the cash handouts based on progressive taxation. In my particular case I dont even oppose progressive taxation, but redundant taxation i.e. Estate taxes and the rhetoric of the liberals where they continue claiming that the rich do not pay their fair share which is well, erroneous at best.
    Do you think that socialized medicine has the same friend in conservatives? It seems like the same argument should be supplied (is general health enriching?)

Undergrad at OU exposed me to more people of different ethnicities, religions, cultures, and socioeconomic statuses, as college should. While undergrad helped me accept people's beliefs and views very different than my own, grad school helped me learn to appreciate them. It also solidified in me that no one is more arrogant than he (or she) who thinks he/she is always right or has the only appropriate opinion. I expect getting my PhD will give me zen-like tolerance

Change my political views? No.
    Enhanced and gave direction to? Absolutely.

Do you think that socialized medicine has the same friend in conservatives? It seems like the same argument should be supplied (is general health enriching?)
    It would if it was at an opportune time. When we're facing record deficits and debt I can see the skepticism. Cant you?

SoonerBounce Guest
    is it true that the guy damning everyone to hell outside dale hall was hired by the psychology department?

is it true that the guy damning everyone to hell outside dale hall was hired by the psychology department?
    I hated that guy

Not true.
    It probably depends on the conservative. I sat at the dinner table with my ultra-conservative, evangelical brother-in-law and heard him say he wished the Pell Grants were abolished and he didn't want 'his tax dollars' to go to Pell Grants.

Attending OU exposed me to many different types of people but my politics didn't change from the conservative side of the middle to the liberal side of the middle until later. A combination of the Wall Street / banking debacle and the Republicans embracing their inner crazies sent me to the liberal side of the middle.
    The following users like this post: McRib

That was 87. And no.
    3 users like McRib's post: okie52, OUMallen, URNotserious

In the early 70's there used to be 3 of them...they must be dying off.

That was 87. And no.
    Well-played.

2 users like OUMallen's post: McRib, oucub23

That was 87. And no.
    I guess he didn't convince you.

Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
    It probably depends on the conservative. I sat at the dinner table with my ultra-conservative, evangelical brother-in-http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/29/connecticut-school-shooting-lawsuit-newtown/1797755/law and heard him say he wished the Pell Grants were abolished and he didn't want 'his tax dollars' to go to Pell Grants.

Attending OU exposed me to many different types of people but my politics didn't change from the conservative side of the middle to the liberal side of the middle until later. A combination of the Wall Street / banking debacle and the Republicans embracing their inner crazies sent me to the liberal side of the middle.
    I've had some interesting conversations with liberals who want to abolish America as we grew to love as well.

The following users like this post: oucub23

Last edited by soonerintn; July 20th, 2013 at 12:26 PM.

When I was 7 we had gas lines, hostages on tv, the USSR and the very real fear of communists, inflation and high interest. When I was 9 there were no more lines or hostages. From 10-17 we had a huge growth period. When I was 19 we had no more USSR. Those thighs were far more influential than any professor.

Oucub23 influenced my politics in college.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Oucub23 influenced my politics in college.
    Did he offer you some candy?

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    When I was 7 we had gas lines, hostages on tv, the USSR and the very real fear of communists, inflation and high interest. When I was 9 there were no more lines or hostages. From 10-17 we had a huge growth period. When I was 19 we had no more USSR. Those thighs were far more influential than any professor.
    I forgot about how Reagan got us hooked on Foreign oil. Thanks for reminding me!

Did he offer you some candy?
    He might have.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Those thighs? Please elaborate.
    2 users like okie52's post: oucub23, ThievingMagpie

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    I forgot about how Reagan got us hooked on Foreign oil. Thanks for reminding me!
    If you were alive then you'd have a different perspective. It's interesting how people that don't remember pre-Reagan like to mock him.
    2 users like oucub23's post: fdubzou, Tundra

Re: Your politics and the Univ of Oklahoma

I was only 14 when Reagan was elected, so I didn't care much about politics, but I do remember how the whole country's mood seemed to gradually improve within the first year or so of his being in office. The "malaise" just seemed to fade away.
    The following users like this post: soonerintn