NY State Study Deems Fracking Safe

Posted 656 day(s) ago 2320 Views 94 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/03/ny...w-nytimes&_r=0

Important for lots of people. When science wins, we ALL win.

I guess they didn't watch Gasland.

Originally Posted by Sir Bevedere View Post
    I guess they didn't watch Gasland.
    Or Promised Land.

I love science. The last part of the article is the scariest - looks like the NY gov's office was delaying positive public health information. Gotta assume it's because of his personal political agenda. That's just crazy. You hold up energy production and jobs by delaying the results of dependable science in order to...promote an inaccurate agenda?

The people of NY should be furious.

Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    Or Promised Land.

I love science. The last part of the article is the scariest - looks like the NY gov's office was delaying positive public health information. Gotta assume it's because of his personal political agenda. That's just crazy. You hold up energy production and jobs by delaying the results of dependable science in order to...promote an inaccurate agenda?

The people of NY should be furious.
    But the vast majority won’t be…..
    Because they are gullible enough to be lead around by their nose by people with a leftist political agenda.

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    But the vast majority won’t be…..
    Because they are gullible enough to be lead around by their nose by people with a leftist political agenda.
    Good lord you're an idiot.

While obviously fracking itself is safe, it's good to have outside verification (by someone other than the oil companies) of the fact. The O&G industry has brought a lot of this on ourselves by being outright hostile to environmental concerns, probably because they are "led by their nose by people with a right wing political agenda".

Of course fracking is safe. So long as you use protection.
    4 users like Mississippi Sooner's post: Bk2X, jdmt37, Pardner, Yatahaze

Originally Posted by The View Post

While obviously fracking itself is safe, it's good to have outside verification (by someone other than the oil companies) of the fact. The O&G industry has brought a lot of this on ourselves by being outright hostile to environmental concerns, probably because they are "led by their nose by people with a right wing political agenda".
    Good ****ing god. Decades of practice and science have shown it to be safe. The position that fracking is not safe is ALMOST ENTIRELY FABRICATED OUT OF THIN AIR. It's wrong, and always has been! It became a cause celebre (sp?) overnight based on NOTHING.

And finally, when the jackassery finally quiets down enough for a NY state study to duplicate the knowledge we've had for decades makes the news, you want to blame it on the energy companies?

This post is totally bunk. That's like blaming a wife for being beaten because she's a loudmouth. She brought it on herself for not being pleasant!
    The following users like this post: ThievingMagpie

I didn't think this was a 'dome-worthy thread, but The may have proved me wrong.

Obviously you haven’t had your acid fix yet this morning because the idiot hides this information for reasons that harm others. Other idiots like you are ok with that.

Good ****ing god. Decades of practice and science have shown it to be safe. The position that fracking is not safe is ALMOST ENTIRELY FABRICATED OUT OF THIN AIR. It's wrong, and always has been! It became a cause celebre (sp?) overnight based on NOTHING.

And finally, when the jackassery finally quiets down enough for a NY state study to duplicate the knowledge we've had for decades makes the news, you want to blame it on the energy companies?

This post is totally bunk. That's like blaming a wife for being beaten because she's a loudmouth. She brought it on herself for not being pleasant!
    I wouldn't say the fracking "controversy" was created out of thin air.

People's water WAS catching on fire, and there was a legitimate concern from people that aren't in the industry (re: damn near everyone in New York).

Now, someone other than an oil company is saying fracking is fine, and that upsets you? The O&G industry has a terrible reputation outside of the Energy States. This is a positive step, and a good thing for the industry.
    2 users like The's post: platypus, teh don

Obviously you haven’t had your acid fix yet this morning because the idiot hides this information for reasons that harm others. Other idiots like you are ok with that.
    wut?

I wouldn't say the fracking "controversy" was created out of thin air.

People's water WAS catching on fire, and there was a legitimate concern from people that aren't in the industry (re: damn near everyone in New York).

Now, someone other than an oil company is saying fracking is fine, and that upsets you? The O&G industry has a terrible reputation outside of the Energy States. This is a positive step, and a good thing for the industry.
    RTFA. The end shows that the governor's office has been delaying this information. Why? Why would you delay information that would allow for companies to commence drilling operations? You don't like money? You're only harming your own citizens - that's why it's offensive. 8.9% unemployment in NY state. Jobs! Mineral owners (usually private individuals in a new play) will make money! Money comes into the state from outside the state! Towns get new roads and bridges and schools and population growth. It's a GOOD THING. That's why it's offensive that NY gov's office was apparently delaying the results of this study.

Also, here's your lesson for today: methane occurs naturally within water formations in some areas (why some water has natural gas in it), and the water-on-fire trick usually is a hoax. Very rare that those videos are legit at all, and even when they are, none of the gas in water ever came from exploration or fracking.

So, see, you're a pretty sharp guy and even YOU bought the bullshit. That's how crazy this myth was.

RTFA. The end shows that the governor's office has been delaying this information. Why? Why would you delay information that would allow for companies to commence drilling operations? You don't like money? You're only harming your own citizens - that's why it's offensive.

Also, here's your lesson for today: methane occurs naturally within water formations in some areas (why some water has natural gas in it), and the water-on-fire trick usually is a hoax. Very rare that those videos are legit, and none of the gas in water ever came from exploration or fracking.

So, see, you're a pretty sharp guy and even YOU bought the bullshit. That's how crazy this myth was.
    Or, seeing as how I work in geophysics and drill wells for a living, perhaps I just might understand that a shitty casing job is what causes methane to leak into groundwater. I have seen it happen.

So, perhaps you could leave O&G discussions to people that actually know what the **** they're talking about instead of just repeating bullshit you "read" somewhere.

(and I didn't see the governor delayed this. Boo to him)
    The following users like this post: teh don

Or, seeing as how I work in geophysics and drill wells for a living, perhaps I just might understand that a shitty casing job is what causes methane to leak into groundwater. I have seen it happen.

So, perhaps you could leave O&G discussions to people that actually know what the **** they're talking about instead of just repeating bullshit you "read" somewhere.

(and I didn't see the governor delayed this. Boo to him)
    Said the guy that can't discern the difference between a casing failure and the process of fracture stimulation?! What a laugh. You keep doing whatever nerdery it is you're doing to help get wells in the ground, and leave the critical thinking to those of us in the industry that can handle it. TIA. We'll take it from here.

(Moreover, maybe you need to be doing a better job if the wells with which you're associated are having casing failures.)

Edit: I see I did type too fast in a previous post. Yes, "exploration" has caused groundwater contamination. That's a no-brainer, common knowledge statement. "Fracking" has not. This is a thread about fracking.

If you want to talk about casing failures, start another thread. Good ****ing god. With people like you in our industry, who needs enemies!

No, he's not. And not to be the nice police, but there is no need for that.

And again with the police action, but we have an Oil & Gas thread for this type discussion. If we're all such experts, why can't we even stay in one thread?
    2 users like QRISooner's post: OU48A, ThievingMagpie

Fracking cylons!

Originally Posted by QRISooner View Post

And again with the police action, but we have an Oil & Gas thread for this type discussion. If we're all such experts, why can't we even stay in one thread?
    No joke.

The, I'm actually kind of worried about you lately. Did your GF break up with your or something? The past month or two, you've just sort of become really combative/disagreeable, even when you're clearly wrong. I've always thought you to be the fairly-sharp, fun-loving random guy. Do we need to send over to your place for a session?

(A therapy session.)

Originally Posted by QRISooner View Post

Anybody that sees a political conspiracy behind every corner is an idiot. That's a fact.

I know Oklahoma is pretty redneck, but it gets very tiring to see "Durned Libruls dun it" on almost every thread.

Said the guy that can't discern the difference between a casing failure and the process of fracture stimulation?! What a laugh. You keep doing whatever nerdery it is you're doing to help get wells in the ground, and leave the critical thinking to those of us in the industry that can handle it. TIA. We'll take it from here.

(Moreover, maybe you need to be doing a better job if the wells with which you're associated are having casing failures.)

Edit: I see I did type too fast in a previous post. Yes, "exploration" has caused groundwater contamination. That's a no-brainer, common knowledge statement. "Fracking" has not. This is a thread about fracking.
    Your reading comprehension is sorely lacking here.

And casing companies do the casing job. Just like we hire out fracking to a fracking company. Some do good work, others **** up time to time.

Your reading comprehension is sorely lacking here.

And casing companies do the casing job. Just like we hire out fracking to a fracking company. Some do good work, others **** up time to time.
    Yeah, the oil and gas lawyer has a problem with reading comprehension. It couldn't be your crappy post. ::eyeroll

See, here's why I'm worried about you: you came into the thread like a cantankerous a-hole, but we actually agreed the entire time because we're talking about the same facts.

You need to grab a beer with cub or . Go ahead, we'll wait for you to come back refreshed and slightly friendlier like the The of old. You'll feel better. It's not your fault.

Yeah, the oil and gas lawyer has a problem with reading comprehension. It couldn't be your crappy post. ::eyeroll

See, here's why I'm worried about you: you came into the thread like a cantankerous a-hole, but we actually agreed the entire time because we're talking about the same facts.

You need to grab a beer with cub or . Go ahead, we'll wait for you to come back refreshed and slightly friendlier like the The of old. You'll feel better. It's not your fault.
    If your reading comprehension is any indication of your ability as a lawyer, maybe getting a billboard and advertising for Personal Injury claims could be in your future.

I simply stated a fact: The O&G industry needs this kind of outside verification because we've sucked ass at being environmentally responsible in the past, and a lot of people don't believe what we say to them in regards to safety. That's the industry's fault.

Then you went on some sort of tirade about how we could have been drilling all this time, and how unfair things were that people how aren't in the industry don't know everything about everything and should have just taken our word for it. Then you got all menstrual and started declaring "victory".

Chill the **** out.
    The following users like this post: teh don

I heard frackin causes earthquakes............................and teen pregnancy

Anybody that sees a political conspiracy behind every corner is an idiot. That's a fact.

I know Oklahoma is pretty redneck, but it gets very tiring to see "Durned Libruls dun it" on almost every thread.
    When fracturing has been a perfectly acceptable practice for about 60 years you really don’t understand the driving forces behind the war on facing if you don’t understand the powers who have been standing in its way in recent yerars. In almost every case the power is held by democrats or friends of democrats.

For somebody who says they work in this industry you really don’t have a very sophisticated grasp of what is actually going on in the bigger picture.
    You really don’t!

Next time try reading the article before you post so you won’t be the idiot with his mouth wide open at the circle jerk again. Virtually every post you make screams.. look at me, I am attention starved and in need of affirmation.

When fracturing has been a perfectly acceptable practice for about 60 years you really don’t understand the driving forces behind the war on facing if you don’t understand the powers who have been standing in its way in recent yerars. In almost every case the power is held by democrats or friends of democrats.

For somebody who says they work in this industry you really don’t have a very sophisticated grasp of what is actually going on in the bigger picture.
    You really don’t!

Next time try reading the article before you post so you won’t be the idiot with his mouth wide open at circle jerk again. Virtually every post you make screams.. look at me, I am attention starved and in need of affirmation.
    Compared to you, whose every post screams "I'm a mouthbreathing, knuckledragging redneck! Librulls are out to git us!"

Next time, try not to be such a moron.

Frack Smack!!!!!

If your reading comprehension is any indication of your ability as a lawyer, maybe getting a billboard and advertising for Personal Injury claims could be in your future.

I simply stated a fact: The O&G industry needs this kind of outside verification because we've sucked ass at being environmentally responsible in the past, and a lot of people don't believe what we say to them in regards to safety. That's the industry's fault.

Then you went on some sort of tirade about how we could have been drilling all this time, and how unfair things were that people how aren't in the industry don't know everything about everything and should have just taken our word for it. Then you got all menstrual and started declaring "victory".

Chill the **** out.
    Ohhhh, I get it. You jump in, talk shit, get proven wrong because you can't construct a post without noting the difference between SUPER basic O&G concepts, then start acting like you're too cool for school to be involved in the topic. You were just generally commenting, and everyone else is a menstruating ****. It's a good internet technique, but hardly one for logic. What a ****y way to operate...

Idiot: the O&G industry has had outside verification for decades. State entities. The EPA. The science and oversight has been in place for a long time. NY state simply didn't want to buy any of it, no matter the source. Never once did I say, "NY state should believe what operating companies say and give them carte blanche." Did I say that? No. Your puckered little butthole is just wound so tight at the slightest perception of something being against your viewpoint that you assumed that! You literally read that into my words. And then you ignorantly insult someone else's reading comprehension. Are you under a lot of stress at work lately? Someone in your family die? If so, I'm sorry man. Truly. Just say so and we'll take it easy on you and excuse your posts. You're clearly off your game.

A tirade? Pointing out that the NY gov's office delayed/withheld this information for political reasons, science and economics be damned, is a tirade? Isn't this a ****ing messageboard? We talk about issues and stuff, yo. If you don't like the topic, GTFO.

And you don't need to worry about my reading comprehension or abilities as a lawyer. Doing just fine, trust me.

Way to dome up the thread, butthole.
    2 users like OUMallen's post: OU48A, ThievingMagpie

You really don’t!

Next time try reading the article before you post so you won’t be the idiot with his mouth wide open at circle jerk again. Virtually every post you make screams.. look at me, I am attention starved and in need of affirmation.
    He jumped in, he was wrong, didn't read the article, but now everyone else is the idiot and not him. ::eyeroll

Compared to you, whose every post screams "I'm a mouthbreathing, knuckledragging redneck! Librulls are out to git us!"

Next time, try not to be such a moron.
    You represent the pit of virtually every thread that goesbad on this board.
    Who post without reading..... LOL

He jumped in, he was wrong, didn't read the article, but now everyone else is the idiot and not him. ::eyeroll
    Yep so true!
    You know sometimes you win by just not responding to such pigs in the mud.
    I think that’s what I will do.

The study said Fracking "COULD" be done safely, not that it is inherently safe or cannot be botched or done badly.

The study is also not exactly seen as conclusive.

"But it remains difficult to discern how much original research the state has done on potential health impacts, and environmentalists worry that the administration’s lack of transparency is hiding a lack of rigor in its assessment of public health risks."

How can any study on Fracking be complete when the Oil and Gas companies wont even reveal what is in the fracking liquid?

Originally Posted by beelzeBob View Post
    The study said Fracking "COULD" be done safely, not that it is inherently safe or cannot be botched or done badly.

The study is also not exactly seen as conclusive.

"But it remains difficult to discern how much original research the state has done on potential health impacts, and environmentalists worry that the administration’s lack of transparency is hiding a lack of rigor in its assessment of public health risks."

How can any study on Fracking be complete when the Oil and Gas companies wont even reveal what is in the fracking liquid?
    http://fracfocus.org/

Plus we have the best study you could possibly have: real life practice. About a million wells have been fracked now, and there is literally not one where the EPA determined that fracking was the cause of groundwater contamination. What more do you need? This isn't a novel issue anymore, really.

As The pointed out above before he started acting all emo, it's usually casing failures. Not fracking.

o0o...Mallen and The are going at it...This is hawt!

Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    It feels so unnatural, too. I've agreed and enjoyed The for so long. That's why I think the little guy is under a lot of pressure at work or a family member is sick or something.

It feels so unnatural, too. I've agreed and enjoyed The for so long. That's why I think the little guy is under a lot of pressure at work or a family member is sick or something.
    I'm just disappointed you can't read very well, and are lowered into the company of that weird knuckledragger that keeps posting on this thread.

As a lawyer that's doing just fine, you should easily realize that you aren't really arguing anything here. I say this is good and necessary for the industry, you're telling us all how sandy your labia majora is.

I Love this thread

Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Not really. The minor disagreement about the nature of the study's release warranted a post or two. Maybe.

I'll be happy when you guys grow up, realize emblazoning political affiliation on your 'virtual sleeve' is for s and losers, and finally get back to doing what you do best: entertaining me.

Originally Posted by Morningwood View Post
    Not really. The minor disagreement about the nature of the study's release warranted a post or two. Maybe.

I'll be happy when you guys grow up, realize emblazoning political affiliation on your 'virtual sleeve' is for s and losers, and finally get back to doing what you do best: entertaining me.
    You can’t understand the oil industry at a very high level without a good understanding of the domestic and international politics and their factions that impact the direction and so much of world’s supply of crude oil.

If fracturing is stopped as some elected DEM’s want, there will be serious repercussions for each of us, including you!
    The following users like this post: Morningwood

I don't want to understand the oil industry at any level. But I know everyone's different and some people are more concerned about the environment than others, which is fine. It doesn't have to be about "dems vs. pubs". Mouthbreathers vs. Emos.

Originally Posted by Morningwood View Post
    I don't want to understand the oil industry at any level. But I know everyone's different and some people are more concerned about the environment than others, which is fine. It doesn't have to be about "dems vs. pubs". Mouthbreathers vs. Emos.
    Then why after 60 years are some of the DEM’s just now complainingabout fracing?

The better you understand the politics that drive the issue the better you already know the answer.
    Its mostly about dem’s vilifying big oil to gullible people for political gain.
    Last edited by OU48A; January 3rd, 2013 at 02:49 PM.

Big oil has done enough to villify themselves without DEM's help.

I know very little about the O&G industry, buuuuuuuuut common sense would tell me that when you pump a bunch of chemicals into that ground, that it will probably have some negative impacts on the soil and water in that area. If not in the short term, definitely in the long run. Am I wrong on this? I can tell you that I have personally witnessed the dumping of the used fluid onto the ground in northern Oklahoma. They are just pouring the shit all over the place. Again, I don't know much about the process, so maybe one of you smart guys could enlighten me.

But Matt Damon says fracking is going to kill us all and I always listen to Hollywood about what's best for my life.
    The following users like this post: smot poker

Maaaaaaaaaaaattttt Daaaaaaaaaaammmmmoooooooooooonnnnnnnn

Originally Posted by soonerdm View Post
    I Love this thread
    Dude.. Somebody mentions labia and you immediately show up. Do you have a script scraping the site for key words and alerting you when keywords show up???? I need that code..
    2 users like xunil's post: OUMallen, soonerdm

Originally Posted by Steve O'Seinus View Post
    I know very little about the O&G industry, buuuuuuuuut common sense would tell me that when you pump a bunch of chemicals into that ground, that it will probably have some negative impacts on the soil and water in that area. If not in the short term, definitely in the long run. Am I wrong on this? I can tell you that I have personally witnessed the dumping of the used fluid onto the ground in northern Oklahoma. They are just pouring the shit all over the place. Again, I don't know much about the process, so maybe one of you smart guys could enlighten me.
    Short spiel: fracking occurs thousands of feet below the base of treatable water, on the other side of layers and layers of impermeable rock, and gravity also pulls downward on fluids. Those basic science principles alone force the assumption that fracking is not very likely to impact groundwater. (E.g.- in Okla, the base of treatable water is usually, at its deepest, around 450-500'. Fracking in the Mississippian occurs at depths below 5000' generally, and even deeper in the Woodford shale.)

Drilling in general has risks. If the metal tubing and concrete in the wellbore (i.e.- the actual hole in the ground) fail in the area close-ish to the water, you can have significant problems. That type of failure is not related to the process of hydraulic fracture stimulation (fracking).

I'm just disappointed you can't read very well, and are lowered into the company of that weird knuckledragger that keeps posting on this thread.

As a lawyer that's doing just fine, you should easily realize that you aren't really arguing anything here. I say this is good and necessary for the industry, you're telling us all how sandy your labia majora is.
    Sandy labia? If you can't understand that an entire movement was based on nothing in the face of decades of field testing proving otherwise, which movement halted major economic progress in an area that would love some jobs and money, all primarily because of distrust and politics...I don't know what to tell you. That's a problem. Given that the average well drilled in OK in the Mississippian costs about 3-6 million to drill and complete, we're talking hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of a problem up there. And that is before one barrel of oil or mcf of gas is sold. It's not like we've been in a recession or anything - who needs the investment!

But hey, we can't all be as cool as you. Who cares, right? An entire industry has been under fire for years based on a position utterly lacking in scientific backing, and people's mineral rights have been restricted by the local government based on the same. "Psssssh, **** it dude, let's go bowling. Only pussies care about that kind of stuff, and let me assure you, there is NO sand in my ****!" Spare us the cool detachment.

Methinks you'd be singing a different tune if you were a mineral owner in the area.

Sandy labia? If you can't understand that an entire movement was based on nothing in the face of decades of field testing proving otherwise, which movement halted major economic progress in an area that would love some jobs and money, all primarily because of distrust and politics...I don't know what to tell you. That's a problem. Given that the average well drilled in OK in the Mississippian costs about 3-6 million to complete, we're talking hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of a problem.

But hey, we can't all be as cool as you. Who cares, right? An entire industry has been under fire for years based on false science, and people's mineral rights have been restricted by the local government. "Psssssh, **** it dude, let's go bowling. Only pussies care about that kind of stuff, and let me assure you, there is NO sand in my ****!" Spare us.

Methinks you'd be singing a different tune if you were a mineral owner in the area.
    You're still pissy? Jesus.

Last time: If the O&G industry had done a better job of explaining what it was doing in the first place to the general public, this wouldn't have happened. We don't get to say "trust us" any more. Note people in this thread even don't have an idea about what fracking really is. Most people don't. And a lot of people don't trust the O&G industry, especially when the name "Halliburton" is thrown around. So, here we are. Everything is nice and validated and can move on now, even your little methinks mineral owner. It's not like that gas just went away.... it's still there. (really, it is!)

Short spiel: fracking occurs thousands of feet below the base of treatable water, on the other side of layers and layers of impermeable rock, and gravity also pulls downward on fluids. Those basic science principles alone force the assumption that fracking is not very likely to impact groundwater. (E.g.- in Okla, the base of treatable water is usually, at its deepest, around 450-500'. Fracking in the Mississippian occurs at depths below 5000' generally, and even deeper in the Woodford shale.)

Drilling in general has risks. If the metal tubing and concrete in the wellbore (i.e.- the actual hole in the ground) fail in the area close-ish to the water, you can have significant problems. That type of failure is not related to the process of hydraulic fracture stimulation (fracking).
    OK, that part makes sense. However, as I previously stated, I have personally witnessed the fluid being dumped right out in the middle of an open field. Now I am going to guess that it is run through a filtering system first, buuuuuuuut I have my doubts about how well THAT is being monitored. The area I witnessed this was up north of the Great Salt Plains refuge, as they are drilling the SHIT out of that area. I have a good friend that works at the refuge, and they are all worried about water shortages up there. Sounds to me like farmers are making more off mineral rights than farming, so they don't give a shit.

Originally Posted by Steve O'Seinus View Post
    OK, that part makes sense. However, as I previously stated, I have personally witnessed the fluid being dumped right out in the middle of an open field. Now I am going to guess that it is run through a filtering system first, buuuuuuuut I have my doubts about how well THAT is being monitored. The area I witnessed this was up north of the Great Salt Plains refuge, as they are drilling the SHIT out of that area. I have a good friend that works at the refuge, and they are all worried about water shortages up there. Sounds to me like farmers are making more off mineral rights than farming, so they don't give a shit.

Hahaha now THAT sounds like a pretty major problem about the "ground application" of fluid.

Most of my work right now is centered up there. Massive drilling projects. MASSIVE. The ownership isn't too fragmented/fractionated up there, so there are some owners making a lot of cash in a hurry. ~$1200/acre bonus X 640 acre/square mile...it adds up fast.

I've not heard much about water shortages, but then again, I likely wouldn't. (I just wish it would rain for all of our sakes.)