New York City

Posted 575 day(s) ago 1058 Views 42 Replies
Results 1 to 43 of 43
  1. #1

    New York City

    My wife and I are going next month, and I am looking for suggestions on some things to do. We are planning on sight seeing, taking in a Broadway show, maybe even going to a Knicks or Nets game. Do any of you world travelers or New Yorkers have any suggestions on some other things to do, places to eat, etc? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Avoid Tavern on the Green in Central Park. Way overpriced.
    Must do:
    Statue of Liberty
    Central Park
    See a show Broadway show (Its a little SG, but you will be surprised how much you like it)
    Times Square at night

    Definitely take a subway to save money. Not that complicated and gets anywhere you want to go.

  3. #3
    oudavid1's Avatar
    Posts
    4,828
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    vCash
    2241
    Location
    NW Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by Murphysooner View Post
    Avoid Tavern on the Green in Central Park. Way overpriced.
    Must do:
    Statue of Liberty
    Central Park
    See a show Broadway show (Its a little SG, but you will be surprised how much you like it)
    Times Square at night

    Definitely take a subway to save money. Not that complicated and gets anywhere you want to go.
    Closed.

  4. #4
    Morningwood's Avatar
    Posts
    2,452
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    vCash
    1000

    Rockefeller Center in general, but the 'Top of the rock' observation deck at Rockefeller Center is the best publicly-accessible view of Manhattan

    The Morgan Library

    The Met, of course

    Watch your back in the subway stations...

  5. #5
    first thing you should do is lower your expectations...
    The following users like this post: oudavid1


  6. #6
    The fact OUdavid and 87 bash NYC should tell you how awesome that city is.

    Amazing place. You can just shop, eat, drink, and walk around for a few days and do nothing else, and have a blast.

    Honestly, for places to eat, there are thousands of great places on Manhattan. Just ask your hotel personnel. Check out Battery Park, Central Park, Empire State Building, Park and 5th, and watch a show.
    5 users like Bruno Gianelli's post: Bob Swilkinson, Drake, McRib, my little roy toy, OUMallen


  7. #7
    the_Mont's Avatar
    Posts
    1,381
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    McSorley's Old Ale House
    The following users like this post: IndySooner


  8. #8
    oudavid1's Avatar
    Posts
    4,828
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    vCash
    2241
    Location
    NW Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by Bruno Gianelli View Post
    The fact OUdavid and 87 bash NYC should tell you how awesome that city is.
    I dont think you know what that word means.

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by Bruno Gianelli View Post
    The fact OUdavid and 87 bash NYC should tell you how awesome that city is.

    Amazing place. You can just shop, eat, drink, and walk around for a few days and do nothing else, and have a blast.

    Honestly, for places to eat, there are thousands of great places on Manhattan. Just ask your hotel personnel. Check out Battery Park, Central Park, Empire State Building, Park and 5th, and watch a show.
    it's a place....
    nothing all that amazing about it...

  10. #10
    We have been before, but it was about 5 years ago and we werent there long. We had a lot of fun, but again it was very brief. This time we will be able to go out a little more since the kids are staying home. I really just cant wait for all of the food options and bar/music scene's at night. We will certainly ask the hotel staff, etc about where to go but I am kind of a dork in that I want to have a few things planned. I appreciate everyone's input, even the one's who have sticks wedged in their asses.

  11. #11
    There is some nice sightseeing to be done at night:

    http://traveltips.usatoday.com/new-y...ing-14959.html

    Also, if you do the Top of the Rock in the daytime, go to the Empire State Building at night.

    There's a 'Tenement Museum' that shows you how people lived in the tenements.

    http://www.tenement.org/

    If you go to the Met, be sure to go up on the roof for a wonderful view of Central Park and the skyline.

    Might be too cold for this, but it's on my list of must do's the next time I go: http://www.thehighline.org/

  12. #12
    since you're into music.....look up a good friend of mine...she used to perform at the rockwood music hall....
    http://zuketunes.com/performance-coa...itha-fair.html

    my nephew lives in nyc...he works for a company that's developing a walking tour app for cities all over the us...
    http://www.strayboots.com/

  13. #13
    SMC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,344
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Near, Far

    I hate NY. It is the worst place in the country

    Go to Boston
    Go to Los Angeles
    Go to San Fran
    Go to Chicago

    All of the above have better things to do, and are less steeped up with foreigners.

  14. #14

    New York City

    You NYC haters are ridiculous.

    The suggestion of taking the subway is spot-on. You can buy a one-week unlimited bus/subway pass for less than $30 per person. The iPhone (and I assume Android) Google Maps app can tell you the quickest route from any place in the city to any other place.

    Also, use Yelp to find restaurants. You can search an area as small as three blocks. Just go to places with 4-stars and above and you won't be disappointed. You don't have to spend a fortune to have good food.

    If you're in Midtown, just south of Central Park, stop into Petrossian Cafe at W 58th St and 7th Ave and try their almond croissant.

    Cooler than you might think -- Central Park
    Overrated (in my opinion) -- Times Square
    Area with a cool vibe you might not think about -- Meatpacking District/Chelsea/West Village
    The following users like this post: Bruno Gianelli


  15. #15
    Tug Medick's Avatar
    Posts
    797
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Buttram Road

    The peripatetic James Joyce!

  16. #16

    New York City

    Originally Posted by 180WestBrooks View Post
    You NYC haters are ridiculous.

    The suggestion of taking the subway is spot-on. You can buy a one-week unlimited bus/subway pass for less than $30 per person. The iPhone (and I assume Android) Google Maps app can tell you the quickest route from any place in the city to any other place.

    Also, use Yelp to find restaurants. You can search an area as small as three blocks. Just go to places with 4-stars and above and you won't be disappointed. You don't have to spend a fortune to have good food.

    If you're in Midtown, just south of Central Park, stop into Petrossian Cafe at W 58th St and 7th Ave and try their almond croissant.

    Cooler than you might think -- Central Park
    Overrated (in my opinion) -- Times Square
    Area with a cool vibe you might not think about -- Meatpacking District/Chelsea/West Village
    Pretty spot on with my views. Use your phone for the subway pretty easy and we found that if you quickly asked someone they would verify you were on the right line.
    We did the high line in Chelsea and was really a cool thing. But it was 70 out.

  17. #17
    I went to NYC for the first time this summer and thought it was amazing. Can't wait to go back.

  18. #18
    SoonerBounce Guest
    SoonerBounce's Avatar
    Posts
    n/a
    vCash

    New York City

    Wwf restaurant!!!!

  19. #19
    Fridays in time square. Also sborro's pizza for an authentic ny slice.
    2 users like party1234's post: Bob Loblaw, ImTheDude


  20. #20
    If you want to go to just one Broadway show, see Book of Mormon. It might be sold out for next month, but look on stubhub or try the ticket lottery the day of. It's that worth it. Such a damn funny, entertaining show.

  21. #21
    Originally Posted by oudavid1 View Post
    I dont think you know what that word means.
    Insinuating NYC is overrated is bashing NYC. So I'm not sure your tier 6 college education is paying off.
    The following users like this post: DIB


  22. #22
    OUSchitzo's Avatar
    Posts
    2,373
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Dallas

    Make a trip to Hoboken.....Carlos Bakery


    but only if your prepared to wait .....wait.......wait in line. Unless you get there an hour before opening.

  23. #23
    OUMallen's Avatar
    Posts
    7,329
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    vCash
    1500
    Location
    City of Nompton

    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    it's a place....
    nothing all that amazing about it...
    Just one of the greatest cities in the history of the planet.

    Nothing to see here. You should go to Altus instead. Also a place.
    The following users like this post: Bob Loblaw


  24. #24
    Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    Just one of the greatest cities in the history of the planet.

    Nothing to see here. You should go to Altus instead. Also a place.
    greatest city in the history of the planet.......now take a look at the list of things in this thread to do there....
    a bakery
    a pizza joint
    a park
    the subway
    The following users like this post: ultimatesooner


  25. #25
    Coach's Avatar
    Posts
    9,894
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    vCash
    1000

    New York City

    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    greatest city in the history of the planet.......now take a look at the list of things in this thread to do there....
    a bakery
    a pizza joint
    a park
    the subway
    You've got 3 of 4 of those in Altus.

  26. #26
    Originally Posted by soonerprices View Post
    You've got 3 of 4 of those in Altus.
    and 2 outta those 3 are prolly better in altus
    The following users like this post: ultimatesooner


  27. #27
    DIB's Avatar
    Posts
    4,405
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Tulsa

    Originally Posted by 180WestBrooks View Post
    You NYC haters are ridiculous.

    The suggestion of taking the subway is spot-on. You can buy a one-week unlimited bus/subway pass for less than $30 per person. The iPhone (and I assume Android) Google Maps app can tell you the quickest route from any place in the city to any other place.

    Also, use Yelp to find restaurants. You can search an area as small as three blocks. Just go to places with 4-stars and above and you won't be disappointed. You don't have to spend a fortune to have good food.

    If you're in Midtown, just south of Central Park, stop into Petrossian Cafe at W 58th St and 7th Ave and try their almond croissant.

    Cooler than you might think -- Central Park
    Overrated (in my opinion) -- Times Square
    Area with a cool vibe you might not think about -- Meatpacking District/Chelsea/West Village
    *snicker*
    The following users like this post: 180WestBrooks


  28. #28
    the hookers do way more for the money than the ones in Vegas

  29. #29
    Originally Posted by iMAX386 View Post
    If you want to go to just one Broadway show, see Book of Mormon. It might be sold out for next month, but look on stubhub or try the ticket lottery the day of. It's that worth it. Such a damn funny, entertaining show.
    I heard the same thing. I have never been to a Broadway show but my wife is obsessed with them. I want to see something that is along the lines of a traditional show but I also dont want to be bored or depressed. We are down to seeing Book of Mormon or The Lion King. I have heard great things about The Lion King and since its my favorite Disney movie we will probably check it out.

  30. #30
    SMC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,344
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Near, Far

    If you insist on going, I enjoyed The Addams Family (Brooke SHields was in it, not sure if still is), and it was really good.

  31. #31
    Yuck Fu's Avatar
    Posts
    4,304
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Ah so, mutha fucka.

    The best think about New York is the picante sauce.
    2 users like Yuck Fu's post: Morningwood, my little roy toy


  32. #32
    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    first thing you should do is lower your expectations...
    Same advice that your wife was given on your wedding day, sadly

  33. #33
    Originally Posted by 2121sooner View Post
    Same advice that your wife was given on your wedding day, sadly
    letterman just called....your interview was cancelled...

  34. #34
    SMC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,344
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Near, Far

    so let me aks the "New York elitists" like Bruno, what makes NY so special?

    There aer far better museums in other places, I personally prefer Chicago for the field museum, the aquarium, and the museum of modern art (which houses a ton of great stuff, including the original American Gothic).

    Is it the history? I personally prefer Boston and the ability to walk the freedom trail myself, and see great sites all over the place...as well as great Italian food (and pizza) in the North End, or awesome Irish pubs all over (real ones in the SOuth end)

    Is it the culture? Because all of the cities i mentioned have great theater districts as well, and there is always touring shows in the region?

    Is it the creativity of it all...I mean naming canal street that because it was once a canal? or Wall street because it was once a wall?

    Or is it the trash that lines the streets and the stench that comes from it at night?

    Is it TImes square, the only place in the world millions of people go to lok at a billboards?

  35. #35
    Tobias's Avatar
    Posts
    951
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Santa Monica, California

    For cheap knockoff handbags (Coach, Prada, etc) go to Chinatown, and just stand on street corner. In a matter of moments some middle aged Asian woman will walk up behind you and mutter something like "purses?" Just follow her...it will look like you are going into a building that was used for the movie Saw, and you will wander through halls, up (or down) stairwells...but eventually, you will be led to a room full of knock off shit of high quality at good prices.

    Or you might lose a kidney.

    Oh, go eat at Lombardi's Pizza. Coal fired pizza ovens are da shit.

  36. #36
    Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    For cheap knockoff handbags (Coach, Prada, etc) go to Chinatown, and just stand on street corner. In a matter of moments some middle aged Asian woman will walk up behind you and mutter something like "purses?" Just follow her...it will look like you are going into a building that was used for the movie Saw, and you will wander through halls, up (or down) stairwells...but eventually, you will be led to a room full of knock off shit of high quality at good prices.

    Or you might lose a kidney.

    Oh, go eat at Lombardi's Pizza. Coal fired pizza ovens are da shit.
    yes....especially if you enjoy pizza that's about 1/16th inch thick with a little bit of sauce and sparse toppings....
    after waiting an hour for a table....

  37. #37
    SoonerBounce Guest
    SoonerBounce's Avatar
    Posts
    n/a
    vCash
    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    yes....especially if you enjoy pizza that's about 1/16th inch thick with a little bit of sauce and sparse toppings....
    after waiting an hour for a table....
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Lomb...CeTS2gWm2IGgAQ

  38. #38
    that doesn't look like the pizza i had there.....or the pizza i saw everyone else getting

  39. #39
    NY magazine best of NY link

    http://nymag.com/bestofny/

    also recommended to find some Pastrami

  40. #40
    Yuck Fu's Avatar
    Posts
    4,304
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Ah so, mutha fucka.

    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    yes....especially if you enjoy pizza that's about 1/16th inch thick with a little bit of sauce and sparse toppings....
    after waiting an hour for a table....
    I was kind of disappointed in NY style pizza in NY. It was good but I decided that I liked Chicago style better after eating there. Then I went to Chicago and found out that an ex Texas Longhorn player invented "Chicago" style pizza. Sometimes you just can't win.

  41. #41
    Originally Posted by soonersmc View Post
    If you insist on going, I enjoyed The Addams Family (Brooke SHields was in it, not sure if still is), and it was really good.
    Well since the OP didn't ask if he should go to New York or not, and stated that him & his wife are going next month we are pretty sure he is already going. He was asking for suggestions from people who have been and enjoyed their experiences.

    You can always start a new thread on why you hate New York and other place you would rather go.

    Sorry. Just hate when threads get mucked up with people adding nothing to what the OP's question was
    The following users like this post: my little roy toy


  42. #42
    oudavid1's Avatar
    Posts
    4,828
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    vCash
    2241
    Location
    NW Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by Bruno Gianelli View Post
    Insinuating NYC is overrated is bashing NYC. So I'm not sure your tier 6 college education is paying off.
    I said that the Statue of Liberty was closed. Like I dont even know what the hell you're talking about.

  43. #43
    SMC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,344
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Near, Far

    Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Well since the OP didn't ask if he should go to New York or not, and stated that him & his wife are going next month we are pretty sure he is already going. He was asking for suggestions from people who have been and enjoyed their experiences.

    You can always start a new thread on why you hate New York and other place you would rather go.

    Sorry. Just hate when threads get mucked up with people adding nothing to what the OP's question was
    And I hate when pompous asses are dumb. What part of what you quoted of me wasn't a NYC recomendation?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 121
    Last Post: November 1st, 2013, 09:18 AM
  2. New York City
    By OUfootball in forum O'Connell's
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: July 31st, 2013, 09:15 PM
  3. New York City Trip Advice
    By LHSooner in forum O'Connell's
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: August 13th, 2012, 09:43 PM