SVP & Russillo doing damage SEC damage control

Posted 716 day(s) ago 2568 Views 38 Replies

ESPN SVP & Russillo doing damage SEC damage control

Apparently UF getting bent over by Louisville is not an indictment on the SEC being overrated. Never mind the other SEC teams having some very mediocre showings and losses too. (I guess they were taking it on the chin from twitter followers and are trying to defend themselves)

But, while arguing that opinion they have no problem anointing the SEC the best conference based on just the national title game. This is said repeatedly by them and many other ESPN talking heads.

How can they not notice that the depth of the conference was overrated, which in turn put Bama in the champ gave over other teams with the same record that could of been more deserving?

Why instead of looking at it objectively and saying, you know what we were wrong about the SEC this year, do they instead immediately get defensive?

Even the buffoon Colin Cowherd admitted he was wrong about the SEC being superior this year. It just is, it's not blasphemy to say it!

is Oklahoma better than Kansas State?

Glad to hear that the almost universal love of the SEC is being challenged.

I think their rep is a huge issue in recruiting, as I sense that many of the top recruits want to play in that conference.

Their taking a big hit on the rep could help our recruiting next year. Probably too late this year.
    The following users like this post: SoonerBeerSnob

Originally Posted by oudavid1 View Post
    is Oklahoma better than Kansas State?
    Right now? Perhaps. On the 1 day out of 365 that it counted? You know the answer. That's all that matters.

Honestly if A&M and Bama win then all the love will be back on for everyone. I personally think that the over hype is bad for college football. I know several people who have quit way hint as much football because they are tired of hearing how no other conference is worthy of even being mentioned as a MNC contender. Most people at least want to know they have a chance. It builds interest in the season. When all you hear is that "a 4 team playoff should be made up of 3 SEC teams" why would you care? Why would you want to see the SEC won it again?

All this hype effects everything more than you think at first. It effects the voters which in turn does effect who plays in a MNC game or a 4 team playoff. It get old and I hope espn realizes it but I seriously doubt it.
    3 users like Coach's post: BajaOklahoma, IndySooner, OU Sam

Originally Posted by Lyricologist! View Post
    Apparently UF getting bent over by Louisville is not an indictment on the SEC being overrated. Never mind the other SEC teams having some very mediocre showings and losses too. (I guess they were taking it on the chin from twitter followers and are trying to defend themselves)

But, while arguing that opinion they have no problem anointing the SEC the best conference based on just the national title game. This is said repeatedly by them and many other ESPN talking heads.

How can they not notice that the depth of the conference was overrated, which in turn put Bama in the champ gave over other teams with the same record that could of been more deserving?

Why instead of looking at it objectively and saying, you know what we were wrong about the SEC this year, do they instead immediately get defensive?

Even the buffoon Colin Cowherd admitted he was wrong about the SEC being superior this year. It just is, it's not blasphemy to say it!
    I saw that. I don't care much for the guy but what he said is correct. SEC overall is down. What he said about A&M is true as well, they are essentially a Big 12 team this season.

Originally Posted by SoopaSooner View Post
    What he said about A&M is true as well, they are essentially a Big 12 team this season.
    That sounds familiar.

The SEC has a HUGE contract with ESPN. They are their biggest paycheck. So, they are going to hype them so that more people watch their games and in turn, they make more money. It has nothing to do with the "talking heads" opinions, it's what the bosses are telling them to say.
    2 users like Dan the Man's post: Sooner 76, Sooners2007

Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
    The SEC has a HUGE contract with ESPN. They are their biggest paycheck. So, they are going to hype them so that more people watch their games and in turn, they make more money. It has nothing to do with the "talking heads" opinions, it's what the bosses are telling them to say.
    They actually tried to argue against this point on the show too. Saying they don't get marching orders and it isn't just them that says the SEC is superior to everyone else. All the other networks do it too, as if there are other sports networks. CBS is in bed the SEC even more so than ESPN, they have a vested interest in the perception of the SEC too.

That leaves you with yahoo sports, I guess, and NBC sports. NBC sports only cares about Notre Dame and yahoo sports is an internet site. Where are people supposed to see anything negative about the SEC on exactly?

They actually tried to argue against this point on the show too. Saying they don't get marching orders and it isn't just them that says the SEC is superior to everyone else. All the other networks do it too, as if there are other sports networks. CBS is in bed the SEC even more so than ESPN, they have a vested interest in the perception of the SEC too.

That leaves you with yahoo sports, I guess, and NBC sports. NBC sports only cares about Notre Dame and yahoo sports is an internet site. Where are people supposed to see anything negative about the SEC on exactly?
    What about Fox?

Originally Posted by NorCalSooner View Post
    What about Fox?
    I'm not sure how I forgot about Fox. I guess it's because they don't have daily shows on talking about sports much. Unless you look at those crappy foxsports channels. Who have affiliations with all the conferences and regions of the country.

Mainly though, the perception of sports in this country is shaped by ESPN. They have built a powerhouse sports network, it is impressive, but it is now too strong.

I'm not sure how I forgot about Fox. I guess it's because they don't have daily shows on talking about sports much. Unless you look at those crappy foxsports channels. Who have affiliations with all the conferences and regions of the country.

Mainly though, the perception of sports in this country is shaped by ESPN. They have built a powerhouse sports network, it is impressive, but it is now too strong.
    I agree. Whoever ESPN wants to win the Heisman, they shove them down our throat like Mangino shoves hotdogs down his.
    3 users like Sabla's post: Lyricologist!, Sooners2007, tennsooner

Regardless of the talking heads saying "bowl games mean nothing", at 3-3 in bowl games thus far, the SEC is on the precipice of falling from grace. If OU and ND win, then there is no doubt. If 4 of your top 5 teams lose, you are no longer #1, period. Your perceived depth is shat on from top to bottom.

If KSU wins along with OU, Big XII will undoubtedly become the #1 conference.

Fox distributes Raycom's SEC games on many of their regional channels.

The gray place between expectations and reality.

I've often thought that if anyone could take on ESPN on a national level, it's FOX.

If anyone could build a national cable sports network to rival ESPN, they could do it. They've been slowing building alliances with college football conferences and they already have MLB virtually locked up. Of course they have their NFL deal. About the only place FOX would be lacking would be in both college and pro basketball.

What he said about A&M is true as well, they are essentially a Big 12 team this season.

That is why I think we can win this game tomorrow night. Just like TCU and WV arent much different from last year A&M is still running a Big 12 offense and has a Big 12 defense. I believe Mr. Jones will have a great night and OU brings home another trophy.
    The following users like this post: BajaOklahoma

Originally Posted by melbitoast View Post
    Regardless of the talking heads saying "bowl games mean nothing", at 3-3 in bowl games thus far, the SEC is on the precipice of falling from grace. If OU and ND win, then there is no doubt. If 4 of your top 5 teams lose, you are no longer #1, period. Your perceived depth is shat on from top to bottom.

I hope that happens and I hope you're right. Not so that the Big 12 is the perceived #1 but so I don't have to listen to the SEC BS anymore.
    The following users like this post: melbitoast

Originally Posted by melbitoast View Post

Only problem there is that ESPN has big money invested in the SEC's cool-aid. I bet you a shiney nickel that if ND and OU both win... ESPN will immediately be talking up the SEC with "impressive wins" against "the nations best conference" and how you can't judge the SEC on one down season. It's good for ESPN if the SEC is top dawg and ESPN would gladly help the SEC limp through until next season in which they will once again be the "best conference"

Originally Posted by MadMex View Post
    Only problem there is that ESPN has big money invested in the SEC's cool-aid. I bet you a shiney nickel that if ND and OU both win... ESPN will immediately be talking up the SEC with "impressive wins" against "the nations best conference" and how you can't judge the SEC on one down season. It's good for ESPN if the SEC is top dawg and ESPN would gladly help the SEC limp through until next season in which they will once again be the "best conference"

Here is the problem. If people aren't buying the hype then espn looks ignorant for selling the hype.
    The following users like this post: BajaOklahoma

Originally Posted by soonerprices View Post
    Here is the problem. If people aren't buying the hype then espn looks ignorant for selling the hype.
    The masses will always buy the hype.
    The following users like this post: IndySooner

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    I don't agree 100%. In fact people are currently selling other hype that's different from the hype that espn is selling. I believe that new hype will slowly move its way across the nation and espn will market their hype so that they don't come across as stupid because they are not stupid.
    The following users like this post: lobster999

The following users like this post: MadMex

I am so glad that we have another SEC/ESPN butthurt thread!!!! Can we get a few more before the weekend?

Originally Posted by Commodore Okie View Post
    I am so glad that we have another SEC/ESPN butthurt thread!!!! Can we get a few more before the weekend?
    Sure. Ill get on that for you.
    The following users like this post: boomersooner53

Originally Posted by oSuJeff97 View Post
    I've often thought that if anyone could take on ESPN on a national level, it's FOX.

If anyone could build a national cable sports network to rival ESPN, they could do it. They've been slowing building alliances with college football conferences and they already have MLB virtually locked up. Of course they have their NFL deal. About the only place FOX would be lacking would be in both college and pro basketball.
    +1

I heard ESPN said something about the SEC and it was totally wrong and stuff which means they hate OU.

Discuss.
    The following users like this post: dainbramage

I heard ESPN said something about the SEC and it was totally wrong and stuff which means they hate OU.

Discuss.
    It doesn't mean they hate OU or any other school for that matter but they have twisted the truth about the SEC. So you're on par with espn in the fact that you tell half truths.

Re: SVP & Russillo doing damage SEC damage control

S...T....F....U

Fvckin it live via tapatalk dos

I listened to their whole show today.

I took at as a little more balanced than the OP, from Russillo especially. They said everybody jumps on the SEC when game like that happens but also pointed out they bring it on themselves.

It was the show after their show that got me. Coach & something (whatever replaced DG)

The one guy said it wasn't a big deal at all. The UF players were concerned about the draft and that UF was only the 6th best team in the SEC anyway. Never mind 3 teams he said were better UF beat on the field (LSU, A&M & S Car). His exact quote was "congrats Louisville, you just beat the 6th best team in the SEC"

It was full on SEC apologist at work

Originally Posted by Drake View Post

I took at as a little more balanced than the OP, from Russillo especially. They said everybody jumps on the SEC when game like that happens but also pointed out they bring it on themselves.

It was the show after their show that got me. Coach & something (whatever replaced DG)

The one guy said it wasn't a big deal at all. The UF players were concerned about the draft and that UF was only the 6th best team in the SEC anyway. Never mind 3 teams he said were better UF beat on the field (LSU, A&M & S Car). His exact quote was "congrats Louisville, you just beat the 6th best team in the SEC"

6th in the SEC 3rd in the country. Got it.

Originally Posted by Drake View Post

I took them as mainly being defensive, like I said they talked about getting hit up on twitter a ton. Saying they don't have an agenda etc.
    They go at fans for calling out them and the SEC out when they lose because they fostered this atmosphere of SEC superiority. If people on the ESPN family of networks were not shoving down peoples throats that SEC football is head and shoulders better than everyone else. They wouldn't be getting bombarded with emails, and other messages when it proves to be false.

You can't act as if these games mean nothing when the SEC loses them, but use them as evidence when they win them. They crow when they are right and deflect when wrong.

Fox Sports One launches later this year, their national cable network. Its replacing the SPEED channel, so its carriage would be widespread from the get go. They're ready to battle ESPN.

It launches in August, right in time for College Football and MLB Playoffs.

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    That's what they said about the LHN...

Originally Posted by soonerprices View Post
    I hope that happens and I hope you're right. Not so that the Big 12 is the perceived #1 but so I don't have to listen to the SEC BS anymore.

That's exactly what I want as well. It's as bad as the Tebow bullshit.

The gray place between expectations and reality.

Originally Posted by FtwTxSooner View Post
    Fox Sports One launches later this year, their national cable network. Its replacing the SPEED channel, so its carriage would be widespread from the get go. They're ready to battle ESPN.
    Wow. I actually had no idea about this when I posted my thing earlier about them taking on ESPN. I think that's clearly the goal, and this is a great thing.

FOX has a pretty solid track record for shaking up the broadcast industry. It will be very, very interesting to see what they do with FS1.

Not the end of the world, but I can see it from here.

Anyone that believes all the SEC hype doesn't help the conference is seriously naive. Just look at the last election when millions were spent by both parties telling lies that were believed by the masses. ESPN doesn't give a shit about the midwest market. Heard Pollard say that the bowl games weren't a good way to gauge the strength of the conferences. What happened to "Let's settle it on the field."?

The SEC could lose every bowl game but the NC game and people would still talk about how dominant the SEC is. It ultimately comes down to somebody knocking an SEC team out in the NC game.

Ah...ESPN is going through their inSECurity phase.....How cute.