vCash

ESPN 150 DT Brantley Decommits from Florida, Now Considering OU

This is a pay article, but he had a "personal problem" this week and decomitted after Under Armour practice. Says he's now considering Bama, LSU and OU.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfr.../post?id=28152

vCash

Would be nice to pick him up if possible. Time for Mike to hit the road and go visit this young man.

Onlyone says we have no chance. So, that's that I guess.

Don't be a ****. I expounded as to why I don't feel he'll play here. He would undoubtedly be a terrific pickup, but we have been unable to get elite DTs out of SEC country.

vCash

Bain just committed to LSU, bama signed 5 dts last year so maybe we have a shot.
    The following users like this post: OUfootball

Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Don't be a ****. I expounded as to why I don't feel he'll play here. He would undoubtedly be a terrific pickup, but we have been unable to get elite DTs out of SEC country.
    My bad bud. I was just messing with ya. You are right tho. We have a long shot, but a shot none the less.

How can one be a '****?'

vCash

Section31 told me that he's not ever coming here because he wants to be within 1 hour of a beach.

vCash

Our DL has been terrible lately, so we could really use a strong infusion. I realize it's unlikely we land this kid, but damn it we could really use him.

We can't compete with Bama or LSU recruiting wise, so forget about it.

Originally Posted by oudidntknow84 View Post
    My bad bud. I was just messing with ya. You are right tho. We have a long shot, but a shot none the less.
    No worries. I guess if we're calling him and he's talking with us, we at least might get a visit. It would be a huge get for us.

Originally Posted by WFSooner View Post
    How can one be a '****?'
    One way is by asking questions exactly like this.
    The following users like this post: WFSooner

vCash

If I had to guess, I'd say we're getting a look because he's not exactly encouraged by the depth chart at Alabama or LSU. I'd say Alabama is our primary competition.

vCash

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Madsen View Post
    We can't compete with Bama or LSU recruiting wise, so forget about it.
    LSU will sign 3 DT commits this year already, all 4* commits plus they have 5 DTs on the roster for spring ball

I think if it's between Bama, LSU and OU it's really down to Bama and OU.

Edit: Also Bama has 10 DTs including those they will sign this year going into next season (3 commits this season thus far)
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

Jesus Christ, how does Alabama have 10 DTs? Are they still doing that oversigning shit?

It is hard not to notice that good seems to beget more good. Most of these elite recruits don't really seem to be afraid of competition, which is why LSU and Bama already have stockpiles of elite linemen and will likely continue to get more. But, there is a chance he will relish the prospect of coming to OU and being the big dog that starts a new stream of elite DT's comimtting to the Sooners! Unfortunately we seem to be the most geographically remote and culturally different one of those schools mentioned. Proximity to home, friends and familiar lifestyle still decide most recruiting battles imho.

Jesus Christ, how does Alabama have 10 DTs? Are they still doing that oversigning shit?
    No. They just put an emphasis on the OL and DL. Odds are that a few will progress into great players. DT is one of the hardest positions to develop players, so obviously having a stockpile of players at that position is very helpful.

Hopefully we can sell our lack of depth to Brantley.

vCash

Originally Posted by 55-17beatdown2011 View Post
    No. They just put an emphasis on the OL and DL. Odds are that a few will progress into great players. DT is one of the hardest positions to develop players, so obviously having a stockpile of players at that position is very helpful.

ahh i get it, the same way we use to feel about kickers. actually it sucks for us with such a lack of depth, its hard to create competition.
    The following users like this post: nolesooner

vCash

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Section31 told me that he's not ever coming here because he wants to be within 1 hour of a beach.
    then he is SOL. there are no beaches worth a shit within 4 hours of any of the three schools.

vCash

Originally Posted by warrenpiece View Post
    then he is SOL. there are no beaches worth a shit within 4 hours of any of the three schools.
    4 users like sooner518's post: Big Red One, dainbramage, nomad, sovasooner

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    I can just picture your lower lip quivering as you posted this. Get over it. It was general observation. OF COURSE, there are other reasons. In fact, I said that in that thread that seems to have gotten you all butt-hurt.

Additionally, it's not by accident that kids FROM those types of areas (Brantley is from Fla) might be likely to leave those areas because they KNOW it ain't all people say it is.

Originally Posted by warrenpiece View Post
    When you were 17-20 years old, ANY beach was a good beach.

It's not the beach, it's the scenery at the beach (unless your into surfing). Feel free to post pics

vCash

it should also be noted that Saban is not afraid to cut someone if he gets a better player

Originally Posted by 55-17beatdown2011 View Post

There's a difference between emphasizing OL/DL and SEC roster manipulation. If they get too full, they'll cut scholly's from the bottom of the pile.

vCash

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    There's a difference between emphasizing OL/DL and SEC roster manipulation. If they get too full, they'll cut scholly's from the bottom of the pile.
    Not that I agree with it....but it may keep people from slacking and make them really work hard to keep their spot on the team.

vCash

ESPN 150 DT Brantley Decommits from Florida, Now Considering OU

@DerekTysonESPN: Just got off the phone w? Caleb Brantley (@_TheKidd34), confirmed that he will not be taking visits to #Oklahoma, #LSU and #Bama. #Gators

Guess he recommitted?

Sent from my so called smart phone using Tapatalk.