Big deal: You can be fat and fit *Diet Discussion*

Posted 658 day(s) ago 1172 Views 52 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Big deal: You can be fat and fit *Diet Discussion*

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/03/opinio...html?hpt=hp_c3

Big deal: You can be fat and fit

Editor's note: Marilyn Wann is author of "FAT!SO?" and a weight diversity speaker internationally. She is the creator of Yay! Scales, which give compliments instead of numbers.

(CNN) -- After a careful review of all relevant research worldwide, the U.S. government's leading analyst of weight data just confirmed what I've long known: Being fat might not be a death sentence.
    That this study reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association seems at all shocking is a measure of the intensity and pervasiveness of weight prejudice in our society and in our sciences.
    Another recent study found people who were "metabolically healthy" and overweight or obese had no higher death risk than metabolically healthy "normal" weight people.

I take an interest in the topic because I'm fat and because I don't have a death wish. I'm also interested because, like so many fat people, I've encountered weight discrimination when I seek routine medical care. I was 26 years old when I was denied the right to purchase health insurance. I had no significant history of illness or injury. I was just fat. That day, I became a fat rights activist.

In the intervening years, I've heard from so many people who fear for their lives when they encounter weight discrimination in our health care system.

As a fat activist, I help as much as I can, but I'm no federal agency.

One woman called in the middle of the night, hoping I knew of an MRI she could use for an important test. The machine at her local hospital, which she'd used before, was being guarded by a technician who strictly enforced the weight limits. The tray that slides in and out of the machine could break. Instead, she was denied potentially life-saving information in a crisis. How many of the deaths blamed on weight are actually caused by medical equipment -- everything from blood pressure cuffs to surgical instruments -- that fails to accommodate fat people when we need it most?

I'll never forget the teenage girl who was told by a nurse practitioner that her complaint would go away once she lost weight. Luckily, she had the nerve and the parental backup to get another appointment and the prescription necessary to treat her condition. How many of the deaths blamed on fat actually happen when people are diagnosed as fat instead of being diagnosed and treated for an illness?
    Then there are the fat people who did everything their doctors recommended to lose weight ... and died from dangerous diet drugs, from starvation diets, from mutilating weight-loss surgeries. I also hear from many people who live with the devastating physical and psychological consequences of such weight-loss attempts.

Some of these stories are referred to as anecdata, meaning they don't count unless they're counted in research -- although there are plenty of studies to support these outcomes. Even so, I believe it still makes a difference when we tell our stories of weight discrimination and its damaging impact on our health.

People are telling their stories of weight bias in medical care on websites like First, Do No Harm, This Is Thin Privilege and Obesity Surgery Gone Wrong. The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance has been speaking out on behalf of fat people's civil rights since its founding in 1969.

Health professionals of good conscience are joining this effort in increasing numbers. They've developed an approach called Health At Every Size that is proving to be better for people's health than weight-loss attempts. The Health At Every Size professional organization, Association of Size Diversity and Health, this week launched the project Resolved, a response to New Year's weight-loss resolutions. It invites people to share stories about weight discrimination in health care and opinions about what needs to change.

Weight bias has been documented among doctors, nurses, fitness instructors and other professionals on whom a fat person might need to rely for help. Last year, researchers who themselves are part of an anti-"obesity" institution (Yale's Rudd Institute) surveyed medical professionals who specialize in caring for fat people and found that they had high levels of weight bias, viewing us as "lazy, stupid, and worthless."

These biases don't improve medical care. Two pioneers of the Health At Every Size approach, psychologist Deb Burgard and health promotion expert Lily O'Hara, analyze existing data to point out that using BMI as a proxy for metabolic health mislabels 51% of healthy people as unhealthy. Meanwhile, 23.5% of the thin people with risky indicators will not be screened or treated early because they "look" healthy.

In the medical literature, every time fat people prove to be healthier or to live longer than thin people, researchers call that result an "obesity paradox." I'd call their refusal to view fat people positively a form of prejudice.
    Here's a finding from the recent research that didn't make the headlines: For people over 65, being fat wasn't associated with increased risk, not even for the fattest old people. When do most people die, in our increasingly long-lived society? Over age 65, perhaps?

I also learned this week that a highly accurate way to predict a person's risk of dying is to see how easily they can get up from the floor. I'm trying to imagine how different our health care system would be if, instead of focusing on weight and weight loss, caregivers did the sitting-rising test instead.

How much healthier would we be? How much more would we actually enjoy healthy living, free from weight judgment? How much time and money would we save? How much discrimination and human tragedy could we avoid? I'm guessing it'd be tons.

Re: Big deal: You can be fat and fit

I'm not skinny but not super big and I'm healthy :-) but my bones appreciate the weight I have lost and will continue to lose.

****ing fat people.
    2 users like party1234's post: freeeewilly66, Wailer

The healthy person on this board weighed over 400 pounds, not too long ago. He said so himself.

#ishityounot
    2 users like AcousticSoup's post: mgsooner, party1234

I'm getting healthier and I said my blood work was great and I can give numbers...no chance I stay that big and don't die at 35 and I wasn't excusing my weight...people need to be healthy unfortunately society only equates ones size with health
    The following users like this post: McRib

Re: Big deal: You can be fat and fit

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I'm not skinny but not super big and I'm healthy :-) but my bones appreciate the weight I have lost and will continue to lose.
    I agree with Adrienne. I'm in better cardiovascular shape than I have been in years (ran a half-marathon in October), but have come to the conclusion that I will always be battling my waistline. Working through a hip problem now that likely would benefit from less weight on the joint. I blame my taste buds.
    The following users like this post: McRib

Originally Posted by NAMLOOT View Post
    I agree with Adrienne. I'm in better cardiovascular shape than I have been in years (ran a half-marathon in October), but have come to the conclusion that I will always be battling my waistline. Working through a hip problem now that likely would benefit from less weight on the joint. I blame my taste buds.
    I used to say the same thing, I was very active and paid attention to my diet but couldn't get below 200. I became a vegan and my whole physique changed, I slimmed down in areas I didn't even know I could. My wife had the same experience, dropping below 130 at 5'8", when she previously thought that impossible with her "athletic" build. We've done this eating all we want of the most flavorful and nutritious foods on earth.

/rant, I try not to sound like one of those snooty vegans who try to push their diet on everyone, I hate those people.
    The following users like this post: xman

Originally Posted by Sir Bevedere View Post
    I used to say the same thing, I was very active and paid attention to my diet but couldn't get below 200. I became a vegan and my whole physique changed, I slimmed down in areas I didn't even know I could. My wife had the same experience, dropping below 130 at 5'8", when she previously thought that impossible with her "athletic" build. We've done this eating all we want of the most flavorful and nutritious foods on earth.

/rant, I try not to sound like one of those snooty vegans who try to push their diet on everyone, I hate those people.

c'mon man! no one likes a snooty vegan that tries to push their diet on everyone. give it a break.
    The following users like this post: Sir Bevedere

****in' snooty vegan trying to push your diet on everyone!

I'm personally offended by you pushing your diet on everyone, you snooty vegan!

If you're gonna push something, push drugs, not your snooty vegan diet.
    2 users like Mississippi Sooner's post: Big Red One, thecynic

Originally Posted by Mississippi Sooner View Post
    If you're gonna push something, push drugs, not your snooty vegan diet.
    Should I add that I'm a pot smoker, and have lost weight despite the nonstop grazing while high. So in closing, if you are going to be a pot head you should go vegan, and vise versa.

Should I add that I'm a pot smoker, and have lost weight despite the nonstop grazing while high. So, in closing if you are going to be a pot head you should go vegan, and vise versa.
    So you curb your munchies with lawn grass? That must be a hell.

SirBevedere, might I also recommend this as your new avatar?

The following users like this post: freeeewilly66

Originally Posted by SoonerAmongThePack View Post
    So you curb your munchies with lawn grass? That must be a hell.
    Guacamole or hummus and flax seed chips, trail mix, fruit, popcorn......

Guacamole or hummus and flax seed chips, trail mix, fruit, popcorn......
    Not in the meat, nor the breastmilk, nor the ovum, of any creature with a face. Not bad.

Originally Posted by SoonerAmongThePack View Post
    SirBevedere, might I also recommend this as your new avatar?

Gotta watch out for the Vegan Police though. They'll bust your ass for drinking half and half.
    The following users like this post: SoonerAmongThePack

OU David weighs 97 pounds but his cholesterol is 325...

LOVE the whole "big boned" argument. That used to just be a nice way for grandmas to say you were fat. But somehow, it has been become science to some.

This is similar to "bless his heart." That was a nice way for grandma to say you were stupid.
    The following users like this post: party1234

Originally Posted by OilSooner View Post
    LOVE the whole "big boned" argument. That used to just be a nice way for grandmas to say you were fat. But somehow, it has been become science to some.

This is similar to "bless his heart." That was a nice way for grandma to say you were stupid.
    Frames are different. Yes, people erroneously use it as an excuse but there are differences in frames on people that cause different weights.

I would say you can be big and fit, but not fat. I think there is a difference.
    3 users like thecynic's post: OilSooner, smot poker, Wailer

I agree that frames are different, but the way fat people rationalize being fat is, at times, beyond comprehension. For example, from the OP, the author states that "fat" people who are otherwise metabolically healthy are at no more risk of death than people who are considered to be of a healthy weight. And, what percentage of "fat" people could we guess to be metabolically healthy? 2%? 5%?? And what percentage of the population is not just overweight, but obese?? And, what are these people doing about it? Rationalizing it, and telling us that its okay?? Well, that's a good solution.

I dont have a problem with fat people per se, but I do have a problem with fat people who are doing nothing but exacerbating and rationalizing their problem. If you're fat, take steps to fix the problem. You know you want to.
    2 users like OilSooner's post: oucub23, party1234

Originally Posted by freeeewilly66 View Post
    Gotta watch out for the Vegan Police though. They'll bust your ass for drinking half and half.
    Wait, chicken isn't vegan?
    The following users like this post: freeeewilly66

Sooner Mommy Guest
    Originally Posted by OilSooner View Post
    I agree that frames are different, but the way fat people rationalize being fat is, at times, beyond comprehension. For example, from the OP, the author states that "fat" people who are otherwise metabolically healthy are at no more risk of death than people who are considered to be of a healthy weight. And, what percentage of "fat" people could we guess to be metabolically healthy? 2%? 5%?? And what percentage of the population is not just overweight, but obese?? And, what are these people doing about it? Rationalizing it, and telling us that its okay?? Well, that's a good solution.

I dont have a problem with fat people per se, but I do have a problem with fat people who are doing nothing but exacerbating and rationalizing their problem. If you're fat, take steps to fix the problem. You know you want to.
    Healthier habits lead to lower weight/BMI. Can't be helped.

I have a friend who is obese, Type 2 diabetic, and in renal failure (dialysis 3x/week), disabled. I am sympathetic and empathetic (I have been morbidly obese), but I get a little aggravated when he talks about indulging in alcoholic drinks, massive cheeseburgers, etc. Not that he CAN'T have those things in minimal amounts, but consuming those things does nothing to improve his condition.

Do the small things - move, eat better, etc. and your weight will naturally drop, in MOST cases. It's tough, but the effort pays off.
    The following users like this post: OilSooner

Originally Posted by Sooner Mommy View Post

I have a friend who is obese, Type 2 diabetic, and in renal failure (dialysis 3x/week), disabled. I am sympathetic and empathetic (I have been morbidly obese), but I get a little aggravated when he talks about indulging in alcoholic drinks, massive cheeseburgers, etc. Not that he CAN'T have those things in minimal amounts, but consuming those things does nothing to improve his condition.

Do the small things - move, eat better, etc. and your weight will naturally drop, in MOST cases. It's tough, but the effort pays off.
    Hey you.

I gave up all meat products except fish, poultry, beef, and pork, and I'm healthy as can be. The beer gets me down a little now and then, and makes my farts stink.

Sooner Mommy Guest
    Originally Posted by soonerprices View Post
    Hey you.
    Hey you.

Vegan diet? find some b-12, before your arteries seem like cheese graters
    the human diet, for million years, eat it., it had MEAT

If I didn't love cheese and bread so much I'd be on the paleo diet. Couldn't go vegan or even vegetarian.

Fatties gonna fat

Sooner Mommy Guest
    Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    Fatties gonna fat
    I be eatin', they be hatin'.

This thread would be awesome if merged with the fatties-in-tight-clothes thread.

Originally Posted by Sooner Mommy View Post

BMI is a terrible tool to use for people that are fit. It is a good jumping off the couch point though.

There are plenty of dudes that dig fat chicks, I am just not one of them

Originally Posted by Meni View Post
    Yeah yeah yeah, we've heard it all before. Meat's not so bad, but dairy is the Antichrist of food groups. I eat meat once a month just so I don't become a slave to my diet and do believe in the benefits of being a clean meat omnivore. But my body runs better off a plant based diet, I've tinkered with it and found what works best for me.

Sir Bev drives a Prius and has a malnourished annoying wife.

Re: Big deal: You can be fat and fit *Diet Discussion*

If your diet doesn't include bacon, you are doing it wrong.

Originally Posted by smot poker View Post
    Sir Bev drives a Prius and has a malnourished annoying wife.
    But he rolls the best weed cause he got it goin' on

Originally Posted by silverwheels View Post
    If I didn't love cheese and bread so much I'd be on the paleo diet. Couldn't go vegan or even vegetarian.
    The paleo diet, the one where you can only eat something the cavemen could have procured for themselves, right?

If they could smash a tomato, could you have ketchup?

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    But he rolls the best weed cause he got it goin' on
    Vegans, do have good weed. Sorry, Sir Bev.

Originally Posted by Meni View Post
    YOU STOLE TEXT DIRECTLY FROM MY DIET BOOK! F-ING CHEATER!
    The following users like this post: party1234

Originally Posted by andymancan20 View Post
    I'm getting healthier and I said my blood work was great and I can give numbers...no chance I stay that big and don't die at 35 and I wasn't excusing my weight...people need to be healthy unfortunately society only equates ones size with health
    Your fat ass isn't healthier than I am, I can guarantee that.

Sooner Mommy Guest
    Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    BMI is a terrible tool to use for people that are fit. It is a good jumping off the couch point though.
    It is one tool of several that I use to gauge progress. There are definitely better ones out there.

Here's how much I give a **** about being fit

Yeah, BMI by itself is kinda ridiculous. I'm 6'-4" and 230 lbs, and according to the BMI scale, I'm about 30 lbs overweight. I look skinny enough as it is.

I work out and go to the gym and see my wife in a pair of yoga pants. the fact that I feel good and looking amazing is just a glorious byproduct.

Exercising and eating better is not hard, but it does take effort. Stop being lazy
    3 users like 2121sooner's post: OilSooner, party1234, Wailer

Originally Posted by 2121sooner View Post
    I work out and go to the gym and see my wife in a pair of yoga pants. the fact that I feel good and looking amazing is just a glorious byproduct.

Exercising and eating better is not hard, but it does take effort. Stop being lazy
    pics. not of you , your wife. tia

I wish more people would actually try and educate themselves than make themselves look better.

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    I wish more people would actually try and educate themselves than make themselves look better.
    That's so shallow.

I thought you already had the video?

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Why can't I do both?