Characters who changed over the course of a series

Posted 665 day(s) ago by traxx2828 Views 85 Replies
Page 2 of 2 1 2
    John Locke-Lost

He literally became a different character.

Kaley Cuoco has gotten fat:

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Kaley Cuoco has gotten fat:

Like you wouldn't hit it?

Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Like you wouldn't hit it?
    Every guy has his"break glass in case of emergency" sack of flour for instances just like that.

Wait...wasn't Rampart the Hospital used for the series Emergency 51 back in the 70's. Yuuup

The series follows the early years of the paramedic program in the Los Angeles County Fire Department (LACoFD) with the focus on the personnel of Fire Station 51, in particular of young firemen/paramedics John Gage (Randolph Mantooth) and Roy DeSoto (Kevin Tighe). The paramedics coordinate with the Emergency Room (ER) staff of Rampart General Hospital: head physician Dr. Kelly Brackett (Robert Fuller), head nurse Dixie McCall (Julie London), neurosurgeon Dr. Joe Early (played by Julie's real-life husband Bobby Troup), and young intern Dr. Mike Morton (Ron Pinkard).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency!

Game of Thrones: Tyrion Lannister has changed from being the weird, sex-crazed midget to the lone voice of reason in Kings Landing, better at war strategy than the rest of this family, and a caring and devoted boyfriend. Might be the biggest transformation I've seen.

He's become my favorite character in the series (save the Khaleesi). And no, I haven't read the novel to see how he evolves. This is as of the HBO show's portrayal.
    The following users like this post: oorah_okie

Mork

Originally Posted by Jenn and tonic View Post
    All of the characters of Friends. Very slowly over the series' arc they each slowly turned from more complex characters to caricatures and pretty one-dimensional.
    Same with the Will & Grace cast.
    The following users like this post: Jenn and tonic

Page 2 and no one has said Boner from Growing Pains?

SoonerBounce Guest

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    Henry on Hill Street Blues. Bayless on Homicide. Edith on All In The Family.
    U r old

Yea.....that's substantially more better.

Major Houlihan from M*A*S*H. She started out as a by the book military pain in the butt, then totally softened as the series continued...

Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Major Houlihan from M*A*S*H. She started out as a by the book military pain in the butt, then totally softened as the series continued...
    Hawkeye started off funny, then developed a political agenda.

Fonzie ended up being a teacher.

Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbret View Post
    Fonzie ended up being a teacher.
    Well, he was the character responsible for the phrase "jumped the shark."
    The following users like this post: soonerbornsoonerbrett

Originally Posted by lycao View Post
    I have always wanted to watch The Wire, but have put it off because of the hype around it. I want to watch it with with a clear opinion on it. It has a fan base that acts a lot like console fan boys act and because of that it has made me slightly annoyed with the show before I have seen it.
    I was the same way. Everyone raved about it and it annoyed me to no end. Then I watched it. While its not my favorite series of all time, its really really damn good. It is not on Netflix though. I torrented all the episodes and watched em thru AppleTV.

Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Alan Alda started off funny, then developed a political agenda.
    fify

By the end of the series the whole MASH universe was so far from the book and original movie, the only thing it shared was a name.

Sooner Mommy Guest
    All of the characters on The Office. In the beginning, their subtle idiosyncrasies balanced each other out. Now, the writers exploit those bits of personality so that the characters are defined by them. Meredith is always hypersexed, Angela might as well be Amish, Erin is stupid, Andy is stupid, Kevin is an idiot. I hate what's become of the show and watch it less and less. I wish NBC would put it out of its misery already.
    The following users like this post: IndySooner

Originally Posted by Sooner Mommy View Post
    All of the characters on The Office. In the beginning, their subtle idiosyncrasies balanced each other out. Now, the writers exploit those bits of personality so that the characters are defined by them. Meredith is always hypersexed, Angela might as well be Amish, Erin is stupid, Andy is stupid, Kevin is an idiot. I hate what's become of the show and watch it less and less. I wish NBC would put it out of its misery already.
    It has been a looooong sloooooooow death hasn't it? I keep watching it when an episode actually airs and keep wondering why.

In season 1, Kelly was a stereotypical indian girl. Clearly, very different now.

I used to like Kevin. Now he's hardly in it (like Creed and others) and when he is in it, he's beyond stupid. He used to be at least funny and entertaining. I keep watching because this is the last season and I feel that if I've come this far, I might as well see it to the end. I did the same thing with Friends when actually I should've dropped out a few seasons before it ended.

Originally Posted by OUSchitzo View Post
    Wait...wasn't Rampart the Hospital used for the series Emergency 51 back in the 70's. Yuuup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency!
    Careful. Bounce will call you old. Mmmmm. Julie London in those nursing whites.

Becky from Roseanne.
    2 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: PokeJ, thurman murman

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Becky from Roseanne.
    That belongs in the Dick Sargeant/Dick York thread.
    The following users like this post: quatrogenerian

Bobby Goren. He started out so on top of things and a step ahead of everyone. By the end he seemed battered and beaten down. I know his white whale, Nicole, took it's toll but the way he sort of went nuts and then seemed to be living on the edge was very disturbing.

Bobby Goren. He started out so on top of things and a step ahead of everyone. By the end he seemed battered and beaten down. I know his white whale, Nicole, took it's toll but the way he sort of went nuts and then seemed to be living on the edge was very disturbing.
    I still don't know how the last scene of that show was supposed to be perceived...are we supposed to think everything's alright with him, or that he is all the way off of the deep end, and clinging to the last bit of normalcy/sanity he has?

Rosanne: Becky had a radical transformation ... and then back .... and then again .... and then .....

Bewitched: Daren changed drastically in 1969 as well, though his change seemed to be permanent.

Latka on Taxi, changed into Vic Ferrari, off and on

why am I dressed like the poop kicker?

Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Latka on Taxi, changed into Vic Ferrari, off and on
    Urkel suffered from this same phenomonon.

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    I still don't know how the last scene of that show was supposed to be perceived...are we supposed to think everything's alright with him, or that he is all the way off of the deep end, and clinging to the last bit of normalcy/sanity he has?
    I'm not sure. I'm watching some old CI's on Netflix so maybe I'll check it out. Don't he and Eames drive off? There was supposed to maybe be another dozen episodes or so but they never came about.

I loved the show except for the whole mental hospital off the grid stuff.

Edit. just watched the last show. His shrink was telling him he needed the job. Hard to tell how he felt when he came out and Eames was waiting for him. I was hoping for another season.
    Last edited by KCRuf/Nek; January 4th, 2013 at 06:36 PM.

Lana Lang (Smallville) - Started off a sweet normal high school girl. By the end of her run on the series she some sort of over the top bad ass spy type of character. At one point she was a witch, she had super powers, and other complete nonsense. The writing of her character over the course of the show was a total train wreck.

Bobby Ewing. First he was alive, then he was dead for about a year, and then he was alive again as if nothing ever happened.

Originally Posted by SoonerAmongThePack View Post
    Game of Thrones: Tyrion Lannister has changed from being the weird, sex-crazed midget to the lone voice of reason in Kings Landing, better at war strategy than the rest of this family, and a caring and devoted boyfriend. Might be the biggest transformation I've seen.

He's become my favorite character in the series (save the Khaleesi). And no, I haven't read the novel to see how he evolves. This is as of the HBO show's portrayal.
    Good one. Theon Greyjoy has gone from being Robb Stark's right hand man to being his enemy. Don't forget the Hound, either. It was strange seeming him develop a soft spot in his heart for Sansa Stark.

Walter White.

Alex on Happy Endings has gotten dumber each season.