iPhone 5 for the uneducated Android user

Posted 472 day(s) ago 938 Views 41 Replies

Ok, so its time for my upgrade with ATT, and I have narrowed it down to the Galaxy III and the iPhone 5. I currently have an HTC Inspire (I think...def an HTC smartphone though). I am trying to figure out which would be best, and was hoping I could get some guidance from the techies and enthusiasts on the board. Here are some of my concerns / intended uses for the phone:

1. My parents both have the Galaxy III, and that thing is like a lap top. WAY too big. But, then again, I thought the HTC was big when I got it, but it now seems manageable. Still, the G III is like twice as big as the HTC. Also, note that I have to carry a blackberry bold for work, so I'd like to keep the personal phone as small as possible.

2. I have never steadily used apple products, having only played around with an apple computer about 8 years ago or so. I didn't like it at all. I did have an Ipod in college, but that was only as recent as 2004 or so. Wasn't a huge fan of it, but it was the best there was for portable music at the time. I don't mind android, but like the fact that I know how to use it (as least for what I use it for), and don't like that I would have to learn a new system if I get an iPhone.

3. I probably don't use the phone for 1/4 of what its capable of. I use it for texts, surfing the net, fitness apps in the gym, and camera for taking pics of my family. My daughter uses it for TONS of games, but I will probably just give her my HTC to play with once I upgrade.

Anyway, if there is anything I'm leaving out, let me know. Also, I saw that they are already thinking of coming out with the iPhone 5S. Should I wait for that?

Thanks for all the help.

vCash

I don't own either one but my advice would be to not wait for the latest phone to come out unless you know it's only a month or so away. New smartphones are coming out all the time and you can never have the latest greatest because as soon as you make a purchase there will be something newer. Plus you never know if the new one is going to be an incremental upgrade or a major upgrade. That's just how technology works. It moves so fast.

If you're not wanting to learn a new OS and won't be a power user, then stay with what you know. The SIII may be big, but I think it's a cool looking phone. You'll get used to the size.

Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I don't own either one but my advice would be to not wait for the latest phone to come out unless you know it's only a month or so away. New smartphones are coming out all the time and you can never have the latest greatest because as soon as you make a purchase there will be something newer. Plus you never know if the new one is going to be an incremental upgrade or a major upgrade. That's just how technology works. It moves so fast.

If you're not wanting to learn a new OS and won't be a power user, then stay with what you know. The SIII may be big, but I think it's a cool looking phone. You'll get used to the size.
    Good tips. Thanks, bud.

iPhones are relatively idiot proof. Learning them is really quite simple. It's why so many people that like to tinker with stuff prefer the droid platform. iPhones are more straight forward. It's not like learning a Mac.
    3 users like oucub23's post: nolesooner, OilSooner, Troker

Go with the S III
    5 users like soonerbornsoonerbret's post: Aurora, BajaOklahoma, jumperstop, OilSooner, StoopsIsMyHomeboy

vCash

My .02 is if you use your phone for very little, go with a variant of the HTC One. Can get one for as low as a penny with an upgrade.

Second bit of advice is to check sales at Best Buy, as heir protection plans exceed what ATT will require (no deductible) and will cost less over the life of the phone.

Lastly, if you don't really use iTunes (we do, have an I pad, an iPhone, and a couple of iPods) I would possibly look into a windows phone for ease of integration with stuff you may have on your home network.
    The following users like this post: ThievingMagpie

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    My .02 is if you use your phone for very little, go with a variant of the HTC One. Can get one for as low as a penny with an upgrade.

Second bit of advice is to check sales at Best Buy, as heir protection plans exceed what ATT will require (no deductible) and will cost less over the life of the phone.

Lastly, if you don't really use iTunes (we do, have an I pad, an iPhone, and a couple of iPods) I would possibly look into a windows phone for ease of integration with stuff you may have on your home network.
    So, youre saying that you can get your upgrade handled at best buy, and you will get a better deal than at the ATT store? I was under the impression that best buy was for new accounts only, which is why I'm asking.

vCash

A quich check at BB and you can get an SII for $50 or (Best Deal, IMO) a Motorola Atrix HD 4G for free.

If you're just going to use it for what you said, it doesn't matter. Go to BB or somewhere like that and look at them. Aesthetics make the biggest difference for the usage level you're talking about. I'd lean to the iPhone were I you bc you're going to have more access to accessories than you will with anything on the droid platform.

BB does upgrades. They run specials from time to time too. My wife, mom and my iPhones were 50 off. My day's razor was free. Also, if you have reward zone you get extended trade in time. I have a silver membership and have 60 days trade so if I get a phone I don't like I can switch it.

vCash

Originally Posted by OilSooner View Post
    So, youre saying that you can get your upgrade handled at best buy, and you will get a better deal than at the ATT store? I was under the impression that best buy was for new accounts only, which is why I'm asking.
    I have bought my last three phones here because they have better stock (in general) and better deals. Upgrades work there just like at an AT&T store, 2 year contract pricing (if eligible for upgrade) plus you can save the $5 a month for insurance ( $120 for fees, and likely a $100-200 deductible) and buy a two year replacement plan from them. It is a far better deal.
    The following users like this post: soonerbornsoonerbret

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    If you're just going to use it for what you said, it doesn't matter. Go to BB or somewhere like that and look at them. Aesthetics make the biggest difference for the usage level you're talking about. I'd lean to the iPhone were I you bc you're going to have more access to accessories than you will with anything on the droid platform.
    Yes, that is my biggest complaint with android. EVERYTHING cool is made for ipod only. Good business approach for them, and may be a factor that sways me. And, my other thought is that if I get the iphone and hate it, it will be easier to sell to get another android phone than the other way around.

I have bought my last three phones here because they have better stock (in general) and better deals. Upgrades work there just like at an AT&T store, 2 year contract pricing (if eligible for upgrade) plus you can save the $5 a month for insurance ( $120 for fees, and likely a $100-200 deductible) and buy a two year replacement plan from them. It is a far better deal.
    Thats great info. Thanks.

A quich check at BB and you can get an SII for $50 or (Best Deal, IMO) a Motorola Atrix HD 4G for free.
    FWIW, my wife had the Atrix (not HD), and upgraded to the 4S.

vCash

default maps,notifications,and multi tasking is better on android. Android has widgets and a app drawer. Apple has apple maps but it sucks,(you can download a third party maps but why should you have to). Apple you have all your icons on your screen and no widgets. Both have a great app store and have most of the same apps. Itunes sucks but so does Google Music.
    2 users like macdaddybuff's post: BajaOklahoma, OilSooner

Try each of them out and decide which you like best. It really comes down to personal preference.
    I don't want a phone as big as the S3, I'm already ingrained into the Apple ecosystem, and literally every single person I'm friends with or related to has an iPhone, so I have an iPhone 5. I like it a lot. But I know someone who used to have an S3 and liked it a lot too.

As far as the iPhone 5S, yes, it's inevitably coming in the next 7-10 months, but so is the Galaxy S4. There's always going to be something better on the horizon. Unless the launch of a new product is imminent, I wouldn't recommend waiting around.
    2 users like Jbaker's post: OilSooner, oucub23

vCash

Thing that sucks is you won't be able to use the same accessories due to the Iphone 5 having a diff charging port.
    2 users like macdaddybuff's post: BajaOklahoma, OilSooner

vCash

The Atrix HD runs the same processor as the SIII. and runs on the LTE network...it is way more phone than the first Atrix.
    The following users like this post: OilSooner

vCash

avoid the iPhone 5, it's not worth your time...they really didn't do anything worth a damn in improving the 4S model that would make me ever want the 5

go with the S3, or wait til the S4 comes out (supposedly in April-June)...when I get my next full upgrade this August I'm going with a Droid phone

Apple has been a let down ever since the 4 came out, the 4S and 5 really didn't do a whole lot different than their predecessors

Droid phones are innovative and leading the market now plus there are so many restrictions on what the iPhones can do. Also, the iPhone 6 is coming out this June (3 months earlier than the last 2 releases in an attempt to compete with the Droid phones). The iPhone 6 will likely have different colors similar to the iPod, there will be different sizes of iPhone 6's but there will be no real changes to the phone that matter to anyone. Apple no longer cares to wow, just to keep as much of the market share they can due to loyal customers. Apple technology is stagnant at this point b/c they don't push much further in each successive phone release.

The Apple release model is the following: try to make it smaller/lighter, increase battery life, increase processing power

Also, the iPhone 5 still doesn't have an HD screen and the elongated phone is kinda awkward to hold and use if your hands are bigger than average size. I've been an Apple user since the iPhone 3GS and I've been let down by Apple enough that I'm going Droid next time out.

vCash

Yeah, the S4 should be out in late Spring if you can wait. If I didn't get the Lumia 920 (which I love), I'd be waiting for the S4.

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    avoid the iPhone 5, it's not worth your time...they really didn't do anything worth a damn in improving the 4S model that would make me ever want the 5

go with the S3, or wait til the S4 comes out (supposedly in April-June)...when I get my next full upgrade this August I'm going with a Droid phone

Apple has been a let down ever since the 4 came out, the 4S and 5 really didn't do a whole lot different than their predecessors

Droid phones are innovative and leading the market now plus there are so many restrictions on what the iPhones can do. Also, the iPhone 6 is coming out this June (3 months earlier than the last 2 releases in an attempt to compete with the Droid phones). The iPhone 6 will likely have different colors similar to the iPod, there will be different sizes of iPhone 6's but there will be no real changes to the phone that matter to anyone. Apple no longer cares to wow, just to keep as much of the market share they can due to loyal customers. Apple technology is stagnant at this point b/c they don't push much further in each successive phone release.

The Apple release model is the following: try to make it smaller/lighter, increase battery life, increase processing power

Also, the iPhone 5 still doesn't have an HD screen and the elongated phone is kinda awkward to hold and use if your hands are bigger than average size. I've been an Apple user since the iPhone 3GS and I've been let down by Apple enough that I'm going Droid next time out.
    If he doesn't like the size of the S3, I doubt he'll want an S4. Isn't it supposed to be bigger?

No opinion on iPhone vs. Droid. I've had iPhones forever and like my 5.

A few mentioned Best Buy as a place to renew/upgrade. I thought I'd throw Sam's into the mix. When I was ready to upgrade my iPhone 4 (the main button wasn't working well), I stopped into the AT&T store and the upgrade price was $199 for the 16gb. Was doing some shopping at Sam's and saw they would renew/upgrade for $129 on the 16gb. It isn't the greatest shopping experience and they don't offer the same in-store customer service as they would at Apple, AT&T, or Best Buy; but, I don't need to be coddled when I buy a new phone; I'd rather save $70 and forego someone showing me how to use apps I already know about.

vCash

Originally Posted by jumperstop View Post
    If he doesn't like the size of the S3, I doubt he'll want an S4. Isn't it supposed to be bigger?
    The S3 sports a 4.8 in screen and supposedly the S4 is going to be close to 5 but they aren't going to make the phone bigger and bulkier in the process

But that might be too big as he mentioned above, in that case I'd go with something other than the 5 or the S3/S4

vCash

Im somewhat ingrained into the Apple environment and I like my iPhone 5. It is solid, has a nice screen, great cameras, great battery life and the LTE is blazing fast. iMessage is really nice as most of my friends and family have iPhones. It works pretty seamlessly with AppleTV and controlling my iTunes as a remote. That said, iOS feels somewhat stagnant and there are certainly things I wish it did that Android does. On the other hand, a lot of the cool things that Android does takes a certain level of setup and know-how. The potential in Androids is certainly higher, but it requires more effort IMO

Whatever you get, make sure it is capable of using LTE networks. If it were me, I would go with either an iPhone 5 or a Nexus 4. I havent been too impressed with the plastic-y feeling build quality of the S3. it just feels cheap

vCash

You'll be happy with either one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

vCash

Also I have the Galaxy Note 2. Its the best phone I have ever owned yes its enormous. One of the many reasons I love it so much. It really is like having a pc in your hands. It is crazy powerful and has the best of both worlds Samsung apps and Google now.

Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    Whatever you get, make sure it is capable of using LTE networks. If it were me, I would go with either an iPhone 5 or a Nexus 4. I havent been too impressed with the plastic-y feeling build quality of the S3. it just feels cheap
    Nexus 4 is not LTE.
    The following users like this post: macdaddybuff

Nexus 4. You're welcome

vCash

I love google phones.. Let me say that again I love them. Now don't get the nexus 4.
    No LTE, No Sd card, No removable battery. The phone itself has problems like the glass cracking from simply putting it in your pocket. I could go on but trust me do not get the Nexus 4. The cheap one only has 8 gb of storage..

At&t for android your better off with.
    Note 2 - to big I know just listing from very best to best options.
    Gs3 -
    Htc one X - Nice hd phone with a great camera. I would almost put this over the gs3.
    Atrix HD.

Nexus 4 article talking about the glass exterior.

Nexus 4′s Glass Back, the Worst Idea Since the Last Phone With a Glass Back

by: Kellex | posted 11.26.12 | News, Opinion
    The LG Nexus 4, Google’s newest Nexus device, such a thing of beauty, isn’t it? That brilliant 4.7″ display on the front, the Crystal Reflection pattern tucked under a piece of glass on the back, those cascading edges, and that soft touch plastic housing, all make up for one of the more interesting smartphone designs of the last couple of years. Unfortunately, for those that purchased one or plan to purchase one, you may have to cover it up with a bumper or case, as it may also be one of the most fragile smartphones ever made.
    Glass, never known to many as the most durable of coverings, blankets the Nexus 4 both front and back. On the front, we have an LCD display that’s covered by Corning’s Gorilla Glass 2, a product promoted for its ability to bring extra toughness to smartphones. On the back, we get the same sort of protection. Well, at least we thought so. After having an LG Optimus G (review) – the phone that laid the groundwork for the Nexus 4 – and now this new Nexus, I can without a doubt in my mind, say that glass on the back of a smartphone is one of the worst design ideas of the decade.
    The back glass plate of both of these devices cracked on me within two weeks of having them. Two weeks. But before we get into this, I should probably point out that I take better care of my smartphones than almost anyone you will ever meet. My original DROID looked like it was a week old, a year after having purchased it. I’ve never had to replace a phone via warranty or insurance, as I’ve rarely ever dropped one. In fact, I’m not sure I would even get past one hand if I were to try to count the number of times I’ve dropped a phone. I don’t use cases or screen protectors because I’ve never had to. Again, I baby the hell out my toys.
    But back to these two cracked backs – both of which cracked without a drop. Let me say that again – both the Optimus G and Nexus 4 cracked in my possession without ever dropping them. You know what did it? Setting them down gently onto my room temperature stone countertop. That’s it. The temperature change after it went from my warm hand to a room temperature countertop was apparently enough to split both devices’ glass backs almost directly down the middle. To think, that deciding whether or not my device is going to crack just by laying it down gently, is something my mind doesn’t even want to entertain. But that’s where I’ll be should I decide that I want a Nexus 4 that no longer looks this way.
    It’s not just me, either. Take a tour through your various Android forums and you’ll find reports left and right of scratches and cracks. Most of these reports also include lines like “I don’t know how it happened, I’ve been super careful with it” and “I pulled it out of my pocket and noticed a crack.”
    So why on Earth would LG and Google choose glass? That’s a great question. Since there is an entire industry now dedicated to replacing glass backs of the iPhone 4, I’m not sure I have an answer. All you have to do is Google “iPhone 4 glass back” and you’ll come up with dozens of fix-it shops, stories of lawsuits, and and how-tos on replacing the back of the phone with something other than glass. Since posting up pictures of both devices with broken backs, the first comment I received each time was, “How did they not learn from Apple?” Even Apple learned from Apple, going with an aluminum backside for its new iPhone 5.
    Glass is fragile, everyone knows that. Well, apparently not everyone or we wouldn’t have phones with back panels made of the material. I don’t think I need to continue to hammer this point home any longer, so I’ll just say this – if you are buying a Nexus 4, buy a bumper, case, back screen protector or any other protective material that you can find because it’s not safe.

Best Buy has $50 off in iphone 5 thru tomorrow. That makes the 16GB version $149 and they offered me a trade in of $140 for my 16GB iPhone 4. Not bad, $9 plus tax to upgrade.

Originally Posted by SixBean View Post
    Best Buy has $50 off in iphone 5 thru tomorrow. That makes the 16GB version $149 and they offered me a trade in of $140 for my 16GB iPhone 4. Not bad, $9 plus tax to upgrade.
    If curious, you can sell iPhone4's on Craigslist for 200 as fast as you can list them.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    If curious, you can sell iPhone4's on Craigslist for 200 as fast as you can list them.
    Yeah, I sold my 4S on eBay a couple days ago for $370.

Thanks everyone for the great info.

MacDaddy---interested in your statement about the HTC One X being possibly equivalent to the SIII. I may have to look into how they have made the phone better since the Inspire that I currently have. Also, if the S IV is about to come out, I am def not getting the SIII, if that one wins out. I would wait. I dont NEED a new phone (I like the one I have). But, since I am eligible for an upgrade, I am looking into the options.

vCash

Re: iPhone 5 for the uneducated Android user

One X better HD screen one of the best out. Better camera and a kick butt processor. It's a great phone like I said I would not discount it. I had 2 different friends get that phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Screw the one x, get the one x+.

Hahaha at the android mujahedin in this thread

vCash

Switched from iphone to an S III last month. Go with the S III. It did feel pretty big at first compared to the iphone but it feels fine now.

Originally Posted by TenYards View Post
    Hahaha at the android mujahedin in this thread
    Wut?

I have a droid and an iphone for home and work respectively. I use my Droid more so even though I have a chick phone(HTC sense) which is smaller than my iphone and marginally slower(not that you can tell). It had a built in voice activated commands way way before Siri and although I havent used Siri, I am quite happy with the droid voice system. I search for things while driving using that and it works like a charm. I like the droid OS much much better than I do Apple.

It probably comes down to your preference and other gadgets in your house. If you have ipad, Mac or Apple TV or all three I'd go with an apple product. If you're not one of those groupies, I'd go with droid purely based on better technology and more apps that are free from what I understand.

Android > IOS

vCash

Think it was a shot at MacDaddy

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

vCash

Originally Posted by pillmanj View Post
    Think it was a shot at MacDaddy

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Maybe so haha. Either way no sweat off my back he could call me a dumbass ****tard for all I care. I would still share a beer with him.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2