How did we fall to this level of suck

Posted 688 day(s) ago 2239 Views 46 Replies

How did we fall to this level of suck

?

Because we loaded up on 0-3 star projects instead of recruiting/landing top players. We end up in recruiting 10-16, and we subsequently finish in the final polls 10-16. We'll end up same this year. Our coaches seem have enormous egos as well...
    The following users like this post: Gonzo

Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    Because we loaded up on 0-3 star projects instead of recruiting/landing top players. We end up in recruiting 10-16, and we subsequently finish in the final polls 10-16. We'll end up same this year. Our coaches seem have enormous egos as well...
    And paychecks with job security that is never in doubt.
    The following users like this post: soonercoop1

Laziness? Lack of fire/drive? Sub par recruiting efforts? The wedding party conspiracy? Multimillionaires losing their "want to"? All of the above????

Definitely a large part of it. But there is a lot more.

Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    ?
    I dunno. Too many liberals on the team?

Stop ****ing it's better than the 90's.

The sad thing is neither the coaches or admins would admit there's anything wrong. The first thing you'd hear is that we won the Big 12, 10 games and went to a big bowl game. Nothing else matters.

We will never compete for another national title with Bob Stoops at the helm. And I'm not sure Joe C cares.

2 bad moves by Bob: making Josh the playcaller, and bringing in little brother Mike to do anything other than coach the secondary and be Co-DC.
    The following users like this post: Boognish

I just think its simple, we are getting our asses kicked in recruiting. We are now recruiting against Arizona St and Iowa St instead of florida and Alabama. We are loosing more head to head battles then ever before. Bob instead of hiring guys that can coach and recruit hires guys that are friends. Meanwhile A&m is killing in recruiting because of there sucess in the SEC. They will take more players from us than anyone else. We never really competed with Texas (those kids went there no matter what) we competed against A&m and now they have a huge advantage by telling kid "play in the SEC"
    The following users like this post: RenegadeSooner

vCash

Seriously ??? OMG can we go back then...Oh wait...we have !!!!!! We should have joined the SEC, we would be better as A/M is showing by beating our Azz tonight !!!

Josh isn't great but would like to see what he does with a different QB...having said that I want every coach at OU to hit the road...no excuse for these consistent embarrassments...season after season...Stroops has been living off that MNC and has pretty much failed since...easy to win the Big12 as that is evident...
    The following users like this post: zevogolf

Complacency and a lack of quality recruiting I think about sums it up.
    2 users like Soonerfan84's post: CNCSOONER, zevogolf

Originally Posted by bandcsooner View Post
    vCash
    Sorry thought you could see the sarcasm.

Seriously ??? OMG can we go back then...Oh wait...we have !!!!!! We should have joined the SEC, we would be better as A/M is showing by beating our Azz tonight !!!

To be fair, ass to mouth is playing like they're from another galaxy on both sides of the ball tonight. Not an excuse, just an observation.

bob lost his mojo after the lsu loss when people at OU told him it was OK to lose in the natl. championship game because you can't win them all and since its OK to lose there then it became OK to lose in bowl games and it just continues to spiral downward we suck big time.
    The following users like this post: zevogolf

Originally Posted by Tug Medick View Post
    To be fair, ass to mouth is playing like they're from another galaxy on both sides of the ball tonight. Not an excuse, just an observation.
    Yeah but we say that year after year. I'm tired of it always happening against us.

You can trace the suckage back to the introduction of the horespigs...take a look....
    6 users like soonercoop1's post: ab5sr, Burglekutt, CrimsonKel, IndySooner, OU812, Saul Good

Complacency and the Peter Principle
    3 users like Val on the Getner's post: OU812, USArmySooner, zevogolf

Originally Posted by Val on the Getner View Post
    And to that point, losing all of our best coaches as they move on and get promoted to better positions with other teams hurts. Replacing those dudes with the guys that Stoops did was a big mistake.
    The following users like this post: Spade1000

The staff in 1999/2000 was filled with up and comers and young guys who were hungry.

Since then it's been one friend of a friend of a friend (or brother). Not one time - not one - since about '05 has Bob replaced a coach with anyone that would have been listed as a top 2-3 (hell - top 10) candidate in a nationwide search.
    The following users like this post: ab5sr

And to that point, losing all of our best coaches as they move on and get promoted to better positions with other teams hurts. Replacing those dudes with the guys that Stoops did was a big mistake.
    It's the biggest flaw of promoting from within. You get a skewed view of your guy's talent level vis-a-vis what is nationally available. Combine that with a lack of outside accountability, and you have a setup for mediocre performance, where everyone's mostly concerned with functioning just well enough to keep their jobs, but not going beyond what's necessary, for fear of exceeding their levels of competency and exposing their insufficiencies.
    The following users like this post: OU812

We are a breath away from being 8-5.
    2 users like Stoops'Visor's post: ab5sr, OUMallen

Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    ?
    Complacency in the coaching staff knowing they will never get fired, it's like working for the ****ing government!!!!

It's poor recruited, particularly in the trenches…

We have also recruited too many players who look at OU as nothing more as a developmental stop on their way to the NFL.
    Last edited by OU48A; January 5th, 2013 at 12:46 AM.

Originally Posted by Val on the Getner View Post

This.

Originally Posted by Stoops'Visor View Post
    We are a breath away from being 8-5.
    But, but, we are also two breaths away from being 12-0 and playing for the crystal ball Monday night. We were so close! We are still in the top tier dammit.

We lost young, hungry assistants and replaced them with seriously under or unqualified assistants. Josh was not ready to be OC. Patton has under delivered since Wilson left. Kittle had no business being hired. Kish was underqualified. Mike's resume at Arizona was very underwhelming. The other guys have been here forever: Shipp, BJW. Even Gundy's performance should raise eyebrows - we came into 2011 with Whaley as our starter because Clay wasn't ready, Finch couldn't get it together, and Calhoun, Miller, Johnson, Williams were all busts.

Originally Posted by OUMick View Post
    spoken like someone whos Dad was a giant **** and refused to spank. What are you 21? go fuk yourself. the 90's was the exception not the norm in OU football.......... enjoy learning

Originally Posted by jakel View Post
    spoken like someone whos Dad was a giant **** and refused to spank. What are you 21? go fuk yourself. the 90's was the exception not the norm in OU football you moronic dooosh
    It was sarcasm. I'm tired of bein a "bad" fan because it's better than the Blake era

Originally Posted by shad20 View Post
    I just think its simple, we are getting our asses kicked in recruiting. We are now recruiting against Arizona St and Iowa St instead of florida and Alabama. We are loosing more head to head battles then ever before. Bob instead of hiring guys that can coach and recruit hires guys that are friends. Meanwhile A&m is killing in recruiting because of there sucess in the SEC. They will take more players from us than anyone else. We never really competed with Texas (those kids went there no matter what) we competed against A&m and now they have a huge advantage by telling kid "play in the SEC"
    Switzer competed against texas and got better players from the state some years.. Maybe even MOST years.. I have been saying it for a long time. We have to recruit texas better.

I agree we have some major issues with recruiting right now, and especially in the trenches. And what about our running game? DD Williams is good, but we are a far far cry from the days of AD or even AP after him, or Q Griffin, or Murray... and why would a great running back even want to come here when they see us suck the D blocking and scheming for our backs?
    Lots of work to be done.

And please dear God almighty... how the **** do we not get a TD when we are first and goal at the one... again? We get blown up on first down, and Bell still nearly gets in. And that scares Josh into throwing it with Bell? Holy ****ing shit... that series was pretty telling of our current issues.

Stoops is surrounded by his friends, buddies, and brother. Unfortunately most of them cannot coach. Mike Stoops and his buddy Tush or whatever his name is look like a comedy act on the sidelines. Josh is not a good OC he is a QB coach. You can go through each one of them. Stoops (Bob) needs to clean house but I don't think he can do it. I think until Joe C gets mad nothing is going to happen.

I wish we cheated more. I'd like to see all our starters in Escalades and 2nd teamers in Trail Blazers.

We haven't done a good job of adjusting to the offenses we play and we don't really have an innovative offense. We have talented players but that will only get you so far. Honestly I didn't expect much in a game that meant so little yesterday. But competing would be a nice start.

Originally Posted by zevogolf View Post
    Complacency in the coaching staff knowing they will never get fired, it's like working for the ****ing government!!!!

Ok then, too many liberals on the coaching staff.

Originally Posted by OUrage View Post
    I wish we cheated more. I'd like to see all our starters in Escalades and 2nd teamers in Trail Blazers.
    There's the problem. The bball program has stopped us from "cheating" too many sanctions lately.

Re: How did we fall to this level of suck

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    We haven't done a good job of adjusting to the offenses we play and we don't really have an innovative offense. We have talented players but that will only get you so far. Honestly I didn't expect much in a game that meant so little yesterday. But competing would be a nice start.
    Literally all that was said for a month around here, and by you in particular... is that OU was built to stop our style of offense. So which is it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Originally Posted by OUMick View Post
    There's the problem. The bball program has stopped us from "cheating" too many sanctions lately.
    I hate basketball. Thanks for the insight

Our offense is outdated and weak as has been discussed on here many times. We haven't played great D in 10 yrs. Bob hires his friends who can't do the job.

No question you are correct. As Barry used to say "You don't win with X's and O's. You win with Jimmys and Joes". No question we are lacking in both talent and speed everywhere on the defensive side of the ball. Fortunately we will migrate to a spread system next year that incorporates the QB a a run option unlike the last 7 seasons which is necessary for a spread offense to maintain its effectiveness against the very top teams in the country.

Now we just need to recruit the players needed to compete at the top level. We need classes similar to the 2010 class that produced 12 players that started last night. The 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2012 classes produced on 10 starters from all four classes.

Without the top talent you will lose more games than you win when playing the top teams in the country. It is what it is. Alabama is playing for its third national championship in four years because it has recruited the #1 class in the country four of the last five seasons and had the number five class the other year.

But isn't it a chicken and the egg thing now - can we get a top 5-10 class without any changes on the staff? I think it would take a dynamic hire or two to affect recruiting in a measurable way.

And Bob has never been about "dynamic" hires nor has he fired anyone save for when he needed to bring Mikey back.

Just a few plays. Had we beat LSU we'd have recruited a little better over the next 5-6 years. Had we beat Florida, we'd be loaded with 4-5 star recruits right now. Had we beat both, we'd be getting the very best from Texas every year and cherry picking the rest of the countr. We'd be the top program in the Country hands down. That's just a matter of 3-4 plays. In stead, we are "Chokelahoma" and we are struggling to get 3 star players against mid-level programs.

It 'aint the X's and the O's, it's the Jimmies and the Joes.

Say what you want about our recruiting mid-star recruits, but as I watched Louisville throttle the gators powerful offense full of highly ranked recruits, I had to wonder how Charlie got those mid-star recruits to play like 5-star recruits. It's all in the coaching....not in the stars!
    The following users like this post: dainbramage

A&M has only been in the SEC for one year. Sumlin and his staff are just better recruiters. Bob has had some good recruiters, but Bob, himself, is not a charismatic person. He has a lot of good qualities but he'll never be Nick Saban or Mack Brown when it comes to recruiting. He's just too straight forward. I'd still rather have him than Saban.

Originally Posted by OkieforOU View Post
    A&M has only been in the SEC for one year. Sumlin and his staff are just better recruiters. Bob has had some good recruiters, but Bob, himself, is not a charismatic person. He has a lot of good qualities but he'll never be Nick Saban or Mack Brown when it comes to recruiting. He's just too straight forward. I'd still rather have him than Saban.
    Sumlin is not better at recruiting. Its the fact they are in the SEC. Hey come play for us against the BEST in the Nation and STAY in Texas. That seems to be a very big recruiting stick.

5-star recruits can be beat by hard working and well coached 3-star recruits. Talent will ultimately win over a series of games... but truly hard working players that come together and work hard for a common goal can beat talent if they are well coached and put in the best position to succeed. That explains the 2000 team who, in large part, didn't compare to FSU in terms of talent. But yet we dominated them on defense like no one ever had. A healthy Heupel and we probably drill them in a blow out.

The example of Louisville... nowhere near the talent of UF... but they believed and were well coached.

We can't build an empire on 3-star guys no matter how good the coaching. But it's clear to me that the guys we do have aren't well coached any more so I'm not sure it matters if we somehow luck into a top class again. This staff is fat and lazy and, in some respects, down right incompetent.