From a former player

Posted 469 day(s) ago by DRminimega6717961 Views 341 Replies
Page 5 of 7 3 4 5 6 7
    vCash

Originally Posted by DRminimega67 View Post
    talked to auston english, to think that we are a laughingstock of college football is to be a complete "****ing moron". he didn't care if it was a former player or not.

Originally Posted by scud View Post
    who is scud?

vCash

From a former player

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    I talked to Adrian Peterson who agrees with OP.
    The following users like this post: nolesooner

vCash

I talked to Sam Bradford, who agrees with Adrian Peterson.
    The following users like this post: nolesooner

vCash

From a former player

If u finna name drop, make sure it's not something named Auston English. Whatever that is.

vCash

From a former player

I do love English tho, for that cheap shot on McCoy that wasn't called.
    The following users like this post: Stein7495

From a former player

Current and former players are going to be all over place with opinions just like people on this board. Basically what it boils down to IMO is expectations. People who have higher expectations (winning a bowl game and being in the MNC picture) get embarrassed more quickly. Those of you whose expectations are a little lower (10+ wins is a good season) are not embarrassed as easily.

I ask those of you who think that the OP is a DA what would it take for you to think that OU is laughing stock of college football? Where ever that line is there will be people who think you're a DA for thinking that because there is always someone with lower expectations then your own.
    The following users like this post: Written

vCash

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    was that before or after they cut the checks to the laughing stock program?

vCash

Originally Posted by SoonerPT View Post
    Since pretty much everyone knows who Mini is, and since you talk so big...who the **** are you? If you're not prepared to tell us and face up to the shit you're talking you might just need to shut your ****ing mouth or find a new board. Or both.
    The following users like this post: greensooner

vCash

Are there any former players who could come in and teach these "kids" how to tackle? You know just basic football.

vCash

Why not let the qb call his own plays, he couldn't have done any worse than the OC or the dummies on the sidelines. Wouldn't have to call as many timeouts....maybe...

vCash

Originally Posted by soonerchoctaw View Post
    That's no shit... I can't EVER remember a team having to call so many **** wasted timeouts cuz the play clock was running down...
    2 users like acheman8's post: Backintheday, D-Town Sooner

vCash

Note to former players, if any of you guys have any stroke to help the football program would you please do so. thanks............
    2 users like soonerchoctaw's post: BajaOklahoma, nolesooner

vCash

The most embarassing thing for me, as a fan and a loong time supporter of the program (financially and otherwise), is the quit I saw in our team -- players AND coaches. After the three 3 and outs to start the 2nd half, you could just see everyone deflate and from that point on, the outcome of the game was not in doubt. Worst display I have seen since 55-19...
    2 users like acheman8's post: Soonerinsec, Written

I'm to the point I can't say anything nice about the OU program so why say anything at all? Doesn't matter if I want bob gone. Doesn't matter if I think he's past his prime. I think it does more harm griping about it then not.

Originally Posted by the_edge View Post
    EVERYONE? Hyperbole much..

vCash

Re: From a former player

Lot of fair weather fans
    The following users like this post: Soonerlife

vCash

You ought to know "Palm Beach"
    The following users like this post: greensooner

vCash

Originally Posted by Palmbeachsooner View Post
    **** that! I'm pissed about the lack of effort. I support this program 100% and will continue to do so until I die. Nothing fair weather about wanting some players to display some passion -- even a tenth of the passion that I display while watching. These guys were going through the motions, and it's not the first time. Fair weather fans?? I think we have some fair weather players...
    5 users like acheman8's post: greensooner, nolesooner, Sabla, Soonerinsec, Written

vCash

Originally Posted by acheman8 View Post
    It’s only natural that when you recruit so many players nationally that some of them are not going to be as emotionally invested to play as hard. OU’s national championship teams had far more Oklahoma’s on the roster. People who care more play harder. The trick is to find the right balance.
    OU coaches must be great evaluators of undervalued in state talent.

How many national championships/bowl games did his sooner teams win?

Originally Posted by acheman8 View Post
    I find it ironic that to find similarly unprepared error filled football with disorganization and wasted timeouts at OU you actually have to look back at the same 90's teams many here have their bar set at.

We seem to win more now... But the errors are the same crap we were all so relieved to be rid of in 1999 when we could line up correctly..... Get plays off.... The wins in 99 were icing on the cake.

vCash

Read the frickin post and quit nitpicking. Not a slump, a slow backwards slide. It has gotten worse with time. We have had and currently have some really great players. The program is digressing and anyone who says or thinks otherwise is wrong.

vCash

Originally Posted by 100%sooner View Post
    i read the ****ing post ... would the op had said we were a laughing stock had we won? **** no ... so it's based on one ****ing game. Yes, we are NOT in the elite category but a laughing stock is a moronic statement.

another thing ... did YOU think we were on a downward slump before the florida game or before the lsu game. like right before the game, did you actually say to yourself damn ... this team is going nowhere.
    The following users like this post: cccasooner2

Originally Posted by nolesooner View Post
    Come to SoCal... you'll hear it here too.
    The following users like this post: SoCaliSooner

vCash

Originally Posted by Soonerinsocal View Post
    i sure as hell know they don't hear it on ucla's or usc's campus.
    Last edited by DirtySouth_Sooner; January 6th, 2013 at 01:14 AM.

Originally Posted by WFSooner View Post
    We are all aware of our history. I take great pride in OU's historic football achievements and accolades but we can't keep pointing to our history after we continue to blow more and more big games. Its now been 12, going on 13 seasons since our last national title. I keep on saying this but the kids we are trying to recruit today don't give a shit about the 2000 Sooners or even remember them for that matter. If you ask them who Rocky Calmus, Quentin Griffin, and Torrence Marshall are, they'll reply: who? Unless they're already OU fans. We can't keep pressing our past success. Alabama did that for a long time. Then they finally woke up and brought in Saban and now they're rolling and show no sign of slowing down. Oklahoma is like Michigan and Nebraska. We are all rich in history and tradition. We consistently crank out good seasons but we're still a step behind the "elite" at the moment.

vCash

Originally Posted by SoonerSteve1 View Post
    10 wins is NOT mediocre.
    The following users like this post: OUMallen

vCash

Teams that are on the upswing or better than OU
    ND
    Bama
    A&M
    Stanford
    Oregon
    LSU
    UG
    ASU
    tOSU
    Baylor
    OSU (yes I said it)
    UG
    Uhh, what?

ASU
    Who?

Baylor
    Wait, what?

OSU (yes I said it)
    Based on what?

Outside of FSU who has OU beat worth a damn in a bowl game? Iowa? UConn? Washington? Ark? All very avg. or below avg teams at the time.
    Teams that are on the upswing or better than OU
    ND
    Bama
    A&M
    Stanford
    Oregon

LSU
    UG
    ASU
    tOSU
    Baylor
    OSU (yes I said it)
    Are you familiar with irony?
    The following users like this post: Sooner Showtime

vCash

Sorry but this is based on a body of work that goes back a few years. And everyone knows that we can't win the big important games.

vCash

Originally Posted by soonerprices View Post
    Good point, I just had a seance with Sabe Hott, Snorter Luster, Dale Arbuckle, Soupy Smoot and the Gentry brothers.They had varying opinions about the state of the program and we had a pretty intense discussion about the best dropkicker OU has ever had, but all the guys had a good chuckle when SoonerLife's name came up in conversation.

In the end we really coudn't come up with a consensus so they all were in agreement that we might want to talk to some younger alums......

So tomorrow night we are going to conjure up Viv Nemacek, Jack Baer, Iron Mike Massad, Norval Locke and we are going to see if we can get Art and Bill Pansze
    The following users like this post: SpankyNek

Last edited by Yuck Fu; January 6th, 2013 at 05:41 AM.

vCash

Originally Posted by Soonerlife View Post
    Find a post where you actually talk about football. It's not hyperbole if it's true.

vCash

I agree with many of the opinions here. I happen to know from a former safety how Bob questioned their heart after losing to Boise and compared their heart to the 2000 team. In his thick head it's never the coaches. Where I differ from original post is the "laughing stock" comment.
    Until these coaches recruit some guys that can play D line again we are going to keep having this conversation every year.
    The following users like this post: DRminimega67

I wasnt a long snapper, or former player, so my opinion is going to be like most the other "experts" on the board. But, the way I see it, Bob is too loyal, and has tried to hire with in the program and it has cost us big time. JH was not ready to take the play calling over...and he has proven that. I am not ready to kick Mike Stoops out yet, until I see what players HE can bring in. BUT, this could be his down fall, BV could bring the talent in and maybe it took both of them together to have the right recipe for a good defense? IDK. In the end, we dont have the talent anymore, and the reason for that can be pushed in many directions. We lose the big games that are on national TV, Recruits love a winner...look at the players going to ND now. I am not going to question Bob Stoops on how much "fire he has in his belly", but I do know the product he is putting on the field is not good. It starts with recuiting which we are behind, then it comes with coaching, and I think JH is way over his head. Defense I get so pissed off watching them. There are 2 players that play on that defense that I GUARANTEE would not start on TU's team. And I am not saying we are the laughing stock of college football, but I for one was completely embarrassed, and it seems to be a pattern as of late. Look at the teams that are heading up and the ones that are heading down. UT better make coaching changes as well...they are on a decline. Bama was bad years ago, but Saban came in and embraced the traditions and here we go. Same as Kelly at ND...tradition and then good coaching and here we go. Oregon I just think they are flashy because of their facilities and Phil Knight, they will prolly have good teams, but I just look at them the same...again my opinion. Long of short, I am very interested to see if thing happens after this loss. If Bob comes in and says golly gee we got beat, lets go back to work..and no changes, I am going to be amazed because EVERYONE sees the faults, and the changes that need to come, and he will once again let his loyalty stand in the way of the program.

vCash

Originally Posted by sooner68 View Post
    Ditto. Comments based on overall direction of the program, not specific points in time. We sure have had some high points, however, the low points are much more prevalent and becoming the norm verses the every once and a while occurence.

vCash

Originally Posted by psk2080 View Post
    Have ANY of these guys said that it is time for Stoops to go?

vCash

fefferson said mini knew how to handle balls better than most anyone else.

Originally Posted by Soonerlife

EVERYONE? Hyperbole much..
    the_edge;1024716]Find a post where you actually talk about football. It's not hyperbole if it's true.
    Link?

His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III
    vCash

Um...actually, you do. USC is down due to sanctions and a loser coach but they are also still getting great talent. We chocked against USC in a national championship game and were embarrassed. Ucla smoked us the last time we played too. If we played both teams right now we'd be slightly above USC and ucla would give us a game. Both teams have been in shambles the last couple of years but their players still play with some passion.
    2 users like SoCaliSooner's post: lobster999, nolesooner

Originally Posted by Palmbeachsooner View Post
    Good defensive lineman all want to play in the SEC. Sure there will be one of two difference makers that come along, but attracting true quality depth in the defensive line isn't going to be possible in the Big 12 anymore.

Texas A&M - 1997, 1998, 2010, 2012 Big 12 Champs*

vCash

From a former player

Originally Posted by TeLeFaWx View Post
    You have a Kool-Aid mustache, sweetheart.

Originally Posted by McRib View Post

Texas A&M - 1997, 1998, 2010, 2012 Big 12 Champs*

vCash

Haha, damn dude! This dipshit sure did participate on those shitty teams. 2 years w Blake and 3 w Stoops. I know what it was like both ways. Gives you an appreciation for what it really takes to be good. I know he's working on it. I'm not stupid. I've talked to them. That's why I've always felt optimistic that we'd get it worked out. I'm not the only person involved with or formerly involved with the program, player or not, who feels this way. Obviously it's not a popular view for you. You don't think that our program gets made fun of outside of our fan base and state for what's happened in the last few years collectively? Similar to what we do with Texas? Perception is reality. Laughingstock was most certainly an exaggeration, but oh we'll. You get the point, or maybe you didn't. I dunno. Maybe I did a poor job at wording it.

I don't expect us to be perfect. I don't expect to be undefeated every year. I know shit happens. I expect just like they used to demand out of us...play smart, fundamental football, and never quit. Play with pride, and do your best. This team looks like it gave up, and we've seen that happen too many times lately. It's baffling to me. They've told me that kids are just different these days versus 15 years ago. I don't know how it's really THAT different, but it seems to be. I just remember the "No Excuses" mantra when they first came. We lived by that at the time. Now? It just seems like there's always one. Maybe they still preach that. I hope so.

I should just probably shut up and keep on cheering my beloved Sooners on.
    3 users like DRminimega67's post: McRib, nolesooner, OU48A

vCash

From a former player

No damn it. Don't be quiet. Shit needs toget fixed and bob doesn't need a bunch of quiet pussies that never question his ass. I swear I just wish someone could smack the shit out of him and get him to admit that he isn't close to the same coach that he was when he got here. Dude just needs a wake up call.
    The following users like this post: lobster999

vCash

This has not been a good 48 hours for you.
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

Do me a favor and next time you see Bob make sure you let him know your concerns and that your tired of him allowing us to be the laughing stock of CF....and don't forget to let him know you started a thread on a ****ing message board about it. I know the anti Bob crowd loved it and you're now their hero but I doubt Bob will see it that way. Sorry to come down hard on you but if you don't think he can fix it and we will continue to slide then step up to the plate and let him know. I'm sure most of this crowd will champion that position.
    The following users like this post: Palmbeachsooner

shut the **** up already you ****ing skinny runt. Everyone gets it, there needs to be changes, but you and your ****ing big bird neck need to chill out and shut the **** up...you are embarrassing yourself.

There is a middle here boys (and Mcrib)...there needs to be changes...I think most would agree. There might be a laundry list of them, honestly I just see the top issues and that is talent, and our OC (again my opinion). No need to go ****ing full retard ( or BoomerMagic) and talk about how this once was the best program in the nation like Bob has not had it there before and it was all Bud and Barry...Bob brought this ****ing program back...sure Gibbs did pretty good, but not by most of your standards. I am on board, I agree as I posted early, Bob is too damn loyal and needs to admit he has made some back choices....
    2 users like H82Lose's post: McRib, Palmbeachsooner

vCash

I'm not anti Bob and never said I was. Not sure where you got that I said that. Good Lord.

From a former player

Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    I also agree we need changes at OC. I love Josh and will admit I thought he would do a much better job but have been very disappointed. OU won't go full retard and replace 6 coaches but people have to be held accountable and Bob needs to evaluate and determine who needs to go. I hope he can do this but honestly I have concerns.