The long slow spiral downward of OU football

Posted 573 day(s) ago 1078 Views 36 Replies
    vCash

is starting to pick up momentum. Could be a long few years boys.

Makes me long for the days when we were favorites and got upset lesser oppenents. Being told for a month by every talking head with microphone or blog that you were going to get punked by Manziel apparently evoked no feelings of pride for this group of Sooners...If being told you suck for a month doesn't fire you up, not sure what will at this point..
    2 users like KEPort20's post: Wailer, zevogolf

vCash

The sad thing about it is that if nothing gets done about it soon, the harder it is going to be to catch up and be a dominant powerhouse again
    The following users like this post: Tropicalsooner

vCash

Originally Posted by Wailer View Post
    Wailer, you are usually one of the most annoying pumpers on the board. You're acting like another rastamon got shot or something.......

There are incentives and bonuses in Stoops' contract for achievements, perhaps it's time to deduct pay for every loss?

vCash

It's in recruiting. It's in the media. It's our new perception nationally. We are not elite anymore.

The darkness is out for everyone to see now.

And it clouds and condemns the entire conference too.
    The following users like this post: VRO405

vCash

**** this. I see it too.

vCash

Originally Posted by KEPort20 View Post
    Makes me long for the days when we were favorites and got upset lesser oppenents. Being told for a month by every talking head with microphone or blog that you were going to get punked by Manziel apparently evoked no feelings of pride for this group of Sooners...If being told you suck for a month doesn't fire you up, not sure what will at this point..
    I think you give our talent level too much credit. Unfortunately its going to get worse.
    The following users like this post: CNCSOONER

Originally Posted by Wailer View Post
    Whatever, it only takes 2 or 3 players like a Roy Williams to return us to a Championship.

vCash

Hope you guys enjoyed that last play win against the Pokes. Because it's gonna be ugly next year in Stooltown.

vCash

vCash

Originally Posted by Dr Sleep View Post
    Whatever, it only takes 2 or 3 players like a Roy Williams to return us to a Championship.
    They're not coming, they are all heading to A&M.

vCash

The top Jimmy's and Joe's aren't coming to OU. In addition, our coaching has progressively gotten worse. Excuses from the big man doesn't help any either.
    The following users like this post: VRO405

vCash

Two thousand zero zero we're gonna party like its nineteen ninety four!*

*artistic liberty taken with the date.

vCash

https://twitter.com/Barry_Switzer/st...30107302354944

Barry SwitzerVerified‏@Barry_Switzer14m
    Don't give up on the #Sooners // we'll be back!

Difference in attitude between 2000 and this year, Torrence said he was there to get his man's trophy back and Ikard was there to take pictures with the Heisman winner.
    4 users like schoonerdriver's post: OU48A, SoonerAmongThePack, Stoops'Visor, VRO405

vCash

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    https://twitter.com/Barry_Switzer/st...30107302354944

Barry SwitzerVerified‏@Barry_Switzer14m
    Don't give up on the #Sooners // we'll be back!
    Maybe we should hire Barry to do our recruiting

vCash

Originally Posted by schoonerdriver View Post
    Difference in attitude between 2000 and this year, Torrence said he was there to get his man's trophy back and Ikard was there to take pictures with the Heisman winner.
    That was interesting when they mentioned tht on the broadcast

Sent from my so called smart phone using Tapatalk.

vCash

From 2000-2004 Oklahoma went 60-7 (.895), won a national title, played for two more, won 3 Big XII titles, and had win streaks of 20, 14, 12, and 9.

From 2005-2012 Oklahoma has gone 82-25 (.766), won 0 national titles, played for 1, won 4 Big XII titles, and had win streaks of 11, 8, and 8.

This is a long, slow downward spiral in action.

I am glad Ikard is done. I have never seen such a smart player screw up so much. He never even got called out on in it either. He would totally miss his assignment a couple of times each half of every game, get penaties and botch snaps. We may not even have a warm body to replace him next year so i might have to eat my words. I hope some little known players emerge all over the OL.

In the second half we had 5 plus Millard to block 3 or 4 aTm guys and failed miserably. Looked like we had never even heard of a zone blitz before. Where is Manigino?

vCash

I am glad Ikard is done. I have never seen such a smart player screw up so much. He never even got called out on in it either. He would totally miss his assignment a couple of times each half of every game, get penaties and botch snaps. We may not even have a warm body to replace him next year so i might have to eat my words. I hope some little known players emerge all over the OL.

You mean the guy who was one of the top recruited tight ends in the country, who made huge muiltiple sacrifices to help this team out at his own personal expense of playing at the next level. The guy who is well spoken and represents OU in an extremely positive light?

Yeah **** that guy.

Last edited by soonerintn; July 19th, 2013 at 10:20 PM.

vCash

In the second half we had 5 plus Millard to block 3 or 4 aTm guys and failed miserably. Looked like we had never even heard of a zone blitz before. Where is Manigino?
    Ikard was a JR this season

vCash

Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    We are screwed for the foreseeable future. Not in the "we will be like Blake teams" kind of screwed. But in the, we won't have any shot at winning any national title and we will be basically fighting for recruiting scraps in Texas kind of screwed.
    We're Virginia Tech. Our ceiling is 10 wins and national titles are pipe dreams.
    The following users like this post: Mosh For Jesus

vCash

We are screwed for the foreseeable future. Not in the "we will be like Blake teams" kind of screwed. But in the, we won't have any shot at winning any national title and we will be basically fighting for recruiting scraps in Texas kind of screwed.
    Isn’t that the type of talent we had been recruiting for our 2000 team…… Texas left overs?

vCash

Maybe we should hire Barry to do our recruiting
    I bet he could still recruit his ass off

vCash

Isn’t that the type of talent we had been recruiting for our 2000 team…… Texas left overs?
    The difference was that we brought in a young coach with fire and coached them up... We can't have combo of both, weak coaching and players, and expect to see results
    The following users like this post: OU812

Sadly, I agree.

vCash

Originally Posted by silverwheels View Post
    We're Virginia Tech. Our ceiling is 10 wins and national titles are pipe dreams.
    withthe absolutely guaranteed loss to at least 2 very average teams......... Bob needs to get the jaw growth going to complete the transformation.

what a **** Bob has become.,

vCash

Originally Posted by soonersmc View Post
    You mean the guy who was one of the top recruited tight ends in the country, who made huge muiltiple sacrifices to help this team out at his own personal expense of playing at the next level. The guy who is well spoken and represents OU in an extremely positive light?

Yeah **** that guy.
    He was not a top recruit, he was a 3 star from Oklahoma... And since when is playing football considered a sacrifice??? As far as him being a great OU representative, I agree.

This isn't an Ikard problem rather a team/coach attitude issue. There were other players who talked about how they were honored to play the Hiesman winner. I remember some actor saying after the 2001 Orange bowl how OU players were so focused that they didn't even notice him standing in the tunnel prior to the game. He said he knew OU was going to win after seeing this.
    2 users like schoonerdriver's post: OU48A, Stoops'Visor

Bob needs to give Mack Brown some of that bonus. If Mack didnt suck so Bad Bob would be out of a job.

vCash

This isn't an Ikard problem rather a team/coach attitude issue. There were other players who talked about how they were honored to play the Hiesman winner. I remember some actor saying after the 2001 Orange bowl how OU players were so focused that they didn't even notice him standing in the tunnel prior to the game. He said he knew OU was going to win after seeing this.
    Denzel.

vCash

Originally Posted by vrortiz405 View Post
    He was not a top recruit, he was a 3 star from Oklahoma... And since when is playing football considered a sacrifice??? As far as him being a great OU representative, I agree.

He was one of the top TE recruit in the state (and I could be wrong, in the region). He gave up any semblance of playing at the next level by adding weight and moving to SEVERAL different spots on the line to fill the teams need.

Does he get the benefit of an education, heck yes...is his med school going to be paid for, yeah...but to say he is the problem is ludicrous.

Do not question me on this VRO, I know where to find you, and i can cut you ese!

vCash

Lmaooo... I like the kid, I love to see kids from OKC do well!... But you have to think he would have eventually outgrown his position (TE) anyways... I played Center in highschool and I have nothing but respect for guys who play that position... People don't realize all the responsibilties that come with that position.

And I agree, he is not the problem.

Why was Ikard playing at LG during parts of the game? Was Shead injured? Did Shead need a breather?

Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
    Why was Ikard playing at LG during parts of the game? Was Shead injured? Did Shead need a breather?
    Shead didn't look any healthier than he did during the OSU game.