2013 expectations

Posted 656 day(s) ago 9685 Views 281 Replies
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3

2013 expectations

Every year I go into the season thinking OU should and will win every game on our schedule. Every year I read this board and get sick at all the negative ****s predicting 9-3 or 10-2 seasons. Every year I get into arguments with good friends of mine who are OU fans that tell me they would be happy with a 10 win season. I look at them like they are crazy. We're effing OU. OU rolls people. OU is a top 5 program. Not next year.

I've learned my lesson. I've seen OU lose to many times to teams they should roll and it's been a long time since I've seen OU beat a team when we were equal or slightly less than equal to in talent. Gone are the days when OU knew they would win at home. Tommie Harris and Roy Williams are not walking out of that locker room next year. Sam Bradford and AD won't be playing next year. Bobby Stoops won't be coaching next year. We're stuck with Bob.

No, next year will be different. I'm turning in my sunshine pumper card. I've seen OU for what OU really is. A team that can only get up for one game a year. Texas. Other than that, who knows. OU will still win a majority of their games. OU will still lose 2-3 games a year.

Next year will be bleak. OU will lose at ND. OU will lose at OSU. OU will lose another game, probably KSU or Baylor. Until Bobby comes back, I'm going to get use to it and learn to accept it. It's who OU has become.
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

This has been a broken record since last season.

We fans are definitely hungry for another legit chance at a NC. One NC in nearly 30 years is kinda a bummer. ND and OSU are for sure losses.

Bell is going to suck big time. You ****ers who love Bell will be screaming for him to be benched by game 4. He a one trick pony. Everyone thinks he'll be the next Johnny football is sadly mistaken. He's slow and can't throw. We're staring the New Era Bowl in the face next year.

OU will win every regular season game with the exception of the ND game and it won't be because ND is better, it is because some deity hates OU and loves ND. OU's byes are perfectly timed next season (ND, Baylor and OSU) and outside of OSU and Texas, everyone else suffers massive and/or key personnel losses. And OU will be fielding a QB next season that isn't afraid of getting hit and will take one for the team and inspire his team and lead them to victory and open up the running game for OU's backs as teams will be so hesitant due to his running capability.

Originally Posted by Okiesoldier View Post
    Bell is going to suck big time. You ****ers who love Bell will be screaming for him to be benched by game 4. He a one trick pony. Everyone thinks he'll be the next Johnny football is sadly mistaken. He's slow and can't throw. We're staring the New Era Bowl in the face next year.
    You're an idiot. Blake Bell can't throw based on what? Of course, Bell won't be like John Manziel, he will be like Tim Tebow without the throwing like a girl arm motion and will be humble unlike Tim Tebow.
    The following users like this post: EufaulaSooner

2013 expectations

You're goofy.

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    OU will win every regular season game with the exception of the ND game and it won't be because ND is better, it is because some deity hates OU and loves ND. OU's byes are perfectly timed next season (ND, Baylor and OSU) and outside of OSU and Texas, everyone else suffers massive and/or key personnel losses. And OU will be fielding a QB next season that isn't afraid of getting hit and will take one for the team and inspire his team and lead them to victory and open up the running game for OU's backs as teams will be so hesitant due to his running capability.
    You had me interested until the last sentence. You have no idea who the QB will be next year and therefore don't know the qualities he will bring to the table. Dumb.

So your saying Bell is going to be better than Landry? Yea right.

Originally Posted by RenegadeSooner View Post
    You had me interested until the last sentence. You have no idea who the QB will be next year and therefore don't know the qualities he will bring to the table. Dumb.
    Yes, I do know who the QB will be next season and it's not Trevor Knight despite all the backroom reports of his progress and I already do know the qualities of Blake Bell. You don't need full game snaps to realize that.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Re: 2013 expectations

Bell will be a better leader. Won't put up better numbers because he won't throw the ball 55 times.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Better QB? Yes. Better passer in terms of actual passing statistics? No. There's more to a QB than just passing. It's along the lines that Barry Sanders was a better runner than Emmitt Smith, but Emmitt Smith was a better running back than Barry Sanders.
    3 users like zcaa0g's post: Fahooglegods, Mosh For Jesus, oucub23

2013 expectations

Originally Posted by Fahooglegods View Post
    Bell will be a better leader. Won't put up better numbers because he won't throw the ball 55 times.

We hope.

Re: 2013 expectations

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    We hope.
    Don't really like tebow but I look forward to a leader like him for ou. Now that it is Blake's team he will crawl up the D's ass when needed. Gonna be a big difference next year.

2 users like Fahooglegods's post: oucub23, SpankyNek

4 losses minimum

2013 expectations

Originally Posted by Fahooglegods View Post
    Don't really like tebow but I look forward to a leader like him for ou. Now that it is Blake's team he will crawl up the D's ass when needed. Gonna be a big difference next year.

This is the first year I've been really excited in the last few. We desperately have to shore up the d-line and lbs, but if we can do that I'm ready.

2013 expectations

Originally Posted by BMR View Post
    4 losses minimum
    I'd take that bet.

9-3 is the ceiling. Probable 8-4
    The following users like this post: soonirvana

Any evaluation of Bell's ability to play qb for the sooners at this point is ****ing retarded. No one knows what Bell is going to be. But I know what landry was and I am glad its ****ing over....

I was expecting 9-3 or 10-2 before this season, and we finished 10-2 before the bowl game. I'm thinking 8-4 next year. Maybe 9-3.

Bell is not the next Tebow. For one next years Oline won't be anywhere near what Florida's was. And our defense is going to be worse next year. If that's even possible. I guarantee you Knight is starting QB by mid season.

There are two things I saw today that give me hope for next year...

Bob got into Mike's face and ripped him a new one after the first Manziel score. It was the first time I've seen him that fired up in a loooong time.

Was watching a bit from an OU presser, and Stoops mentioned that they had already spent some time working in some stuff that they wouldn't use until next season, based upon the running nature of the QBs they have on scholarship.

Perhaps having our losses we had this year come against guys that can extend plays, the last one being tonight's embarrassment, finally gives us the nudge to exploit defenses with mobile QB play.

As for the future of the defense, not sure what we do. A&M did a pretty great job against Bama and a pretty motivated OU team...I don't really know what evolution, scheme-wise, is going to be required to slow a team like that down.

You're an idiot. Blake Bell can't throw based on what? Of course, Bell won't be like John Manziel, he will be like Tim Tebow without the throwing like a girl arm motion and will be humble unlike Tim Tebow.
    I hope to **** he throws better than teblow or we are ****ed with our Oline

It's the shitty players Brent recruited. Give Mike some time to get his own guys.

Next year is probably a rebuilding year, but it should be building to something different than what we have seen the last 4 years. That alone makes me look forward to next year a bit.

I just hope Lynn and Wort smoke some crack tonight and declare for the draft. Those 2 are the 2 worst defensive players in OU history.

I just hope Lynn and Wort smoke some crack tonight and declare for the draft. Those 2 are the 2 worst defensive players in OU history.
    doubtful, don't you have to wrap something up to smoke it?

Did our D line make one ****ing tackle tonight? I never remember Washington or Mcfarland's names being called. 2 biggest busts of all time. Both were 5 star recruits who played like 1 star players.

I expect us to be talented like we always are but outschemed and outplayed in several games a year. Probably 3-5. May be more with a young QB. Maybe salvage a bowl win and everyone will call it a great year.

We will still play the same 1-2 LB scheme that will always get beat against teams that run the ball well out of the spread which are most teams we play. But we'll score some points.

The bad things is that Landry won't cover up some of our weaknesses like he was this year. I'm not sure how good Blake Bell is at QB so it's hard to pinpoint the exact number of wins and losses.

I'm not so much concerned with the number of LBs as I am about the number of down linemen. I don't think we should ever use 4 down in situations like tonight considering that we apparently schemed for them to pretty much just hold lanes.

That's just how Mike Stoops/Bob Stoops teams always play run D against running or dual threat QBs. though.

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    That's just how Mike Stoops/Bob Stoops teams always play run D against running or dual threat QBs. though.
    Yeah, we just have had the benefit of better DLineman that could sc**** off at the LOS after holding their man. We made Seneca, VY, and Crouch look mediocre a few times with this scheme...we just no longer have the ability to execute it (be it talent, player awareness, or "motor")

Beat Texas and lose to ND and to boone st. Hope we back door into the BCS. My expectation of a bob stoops team has lowered each year.

There's no guarantee of that as well. He is slow. The belldozer is great against average d-lines. Its not like he's breaking 20 years runs all the time in this offense. But he was playing big boy football last night and got stuffed at the goal line twice. And on his passing play threw it away. He's been in the offense for 2 years now the dozer and spread. They should be able to run him in either one to switch up the look. You would expect that package to evolve. Seeing more passing plays out of that set. Even more running plays to milliard and Williams out of the dozer. If he does have a good arm. he's hasn't really shown it over these last couple years. That could be what is keeping his package from evolving.

2013 expectations

Like I thought before the '12 season a 10 win season in '13 would be considered a successful one. Anything less would be a disappointment.

We still have Mike and his buddy Kish that will equal at least 3 losses. Those two are a real comedy act. Until Bob makes some changes nothing will change decent offense and piss poor defense.

I guess you werent around in the 80's with Dwight Drane. He got burnt more than toast. Granted Gabe Lynn is not far behind him.

With a new QB and replacing 75% of a bad defense we will be lucky to win 8 games next year. Loses to ND, TCU, OSU and someone we shouldnt.

2013 expectations

Disappointment
    The following users like this post: drumhead23us

Originally Posted by CNCSOONER View Post
    I guess you werent around in the 80's with Dwight Drane. He got burnt more than toast. Granted Gabe Lynn is not far behind him.
    You sure about that? Drane played in the NFL for five years.

Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
    You sure about that? Drane played in the NFL for five years.
    I for one thought he sucked. Every time we got burnt on a pass during those years it was always on his side. He is the only player that sticks out in my mind as being a bad defensice back and I have been following OU football for 45 years.

No way Drane is worse than Lynn. I've never seen Lynn make a play. Every time you see Lynn he's running after a Wr after getting beat. Or he's whiffing on a tackle. How was Lynn a HS all American? He's replaced Chokie Imgonnagetcha as the worst DB of all time.

2013 expectations

Originally Posted by williemayshayes View Post
    Every year I go into the season thinking OU should and will win every game on our schedule. Every year I read this board and get sick at all the negative ****s predicting 9-3 or 10-2 seasons. Every year I get into arguments with good friends of mine who are OU fans that tell me they would be happy with a 10 win season. I look at them like they are crazy. We're effing OU. OU rolls people. OU is a top 5 program. Not next year.

I've learned my lesson. I've seen OU lose to many times to teams they should roll and it's been a long time since I've seen OU beat a team when we were equal or slightly less than equal to in talent. Gone are the days when OU knew they would win at home. Tommie Harris and Roy Williams are not walking out of that locker room next year. Sam Bradford and AD won't be playing next year. Bobby Stoops won't be coaching next year. We're stuck with Bob.

No, next year will be different. I'm turning in my sunshine pumper card. I've seen OU for what OU really is. A team that can only get up for one game a year. Texas. Other than that, who knows. OU will still win a majority of their games. OU will still lose 2-3 games a year.

Next year will be bleak. OU will lose at ND. OU will lose at OSU. OU will lose another game, probably KSU or Baylor. Until Bobby comes back, I'm going to get use to it and learn to accept it. It's who OU has become.
    Was OU unbeaten when AD and Roy Williams played?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I for one thought he sucked. Every time we got burnt on a pass during those years it was always on his side. He is the only player that sticks out in my mind as being a bad defensice back and I have been following OU football for 45 years.
    Remember Jim Rockford?

With what we have for DL and LB next year we can probably expect about the same or worse. We just don't have the players on D.

I don't remember him being that bad. Maybe it's fair to say that our defensive backfield coaching back then was not very good. Makes sense given that passing was not as prevalent and, or course, our defense was practicing against an offense that focused almost solely on the run. Was it Bobby Proctor back then who was the DB coach?

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    With what we have for DL and LB next year we can probably expect about the same or worse. We just don't have the players on D.
    Which is why we're ****ed. With Bell as a QB we'll struggle to score. We had a hard enough time winning games this year after scoring 50. What do you think will happen if we average 20 a game next yr?

Until we can get 11 guys on defense who know what they're doing and can actually play, we are looking at multiple losses again.

Notre Dame, OSU and Texas are all possible losses but hopefully the inclusion of a QB running game we provide enough diversity that our offense can still average 40 points a game and offset our defensive weaknesses.