Stoops' real problem is fan apathy...

Posted 564 day(s) ago 3958 Views 100 Replies
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

I'd like to complain about the game last night but the complaints are a broken record going back years. No tackling, no running game, borderline retard at OC. Why rehash the past?

Anyway, OU is not a Top 10 program anymore and judging by the talent on campus and the recruits committed, that's not going to change in the next few years. We're looking at more years of highly ranked pre-season teams, blown games because of bad defense/shaky play calling, and 9 or 10 win seasons followed by a bowl loss.

It's hard for me to get excited about that. Sure, I'll watch the games but by give a shit meter is on low.

The long term problem may be combined fan apathy with a successful pro sports team in OKC. It struck me that Stoops was getting questions the week after Notre Dame about the James Harden trade. OU just played Notre Dame and people were talking about a trade involving backup players. Think about that.

Also look at what the Thunder did to interest in OU and OSU's basketball programs. Even when one team wasn't very good, you could count on them to at least sell out when they played each other. Not anymore.

I've also noticed the young people in the state are obsessed with the Thunder. Back in the day, it was OU football. Now, they're waiting for the playoffs to start.

So, in short, Stoops and OU's long term problem may be fan apathy. It won't be the automatic hot ticket in town anymore as long as the current trajectory remains. People will just stop caring, much like me.

vCash

**** you for typing so much.

vCash

Re: Stoops' real problem is fan apathy...

You are spot on about the Thunder. You see kids and soccer moms all over the place sporting Thunder gear. Oklahoma's biggest sports star right now is a whorn.

Fvckin it live via tapatalk dos

I'm not apathetic... I'd honestly like go down to the Switzer Center and scream and holler. But no one would probably hear me - Bob's probably already on a golf course in Florida with Spurrier.
    The following users like this post: morrisja20

vCash

Might as well blame x360 and computer gaming, smart phones, and **** while your at it

vCash

Well I didn't miss one tackle or quit on one play last night. Anyone else? Fans are the problem? Quit running the Indy 500 with a Chevette.

Apparently his biggest problem is missing out on a bonus.

@Jake_Trotter: Also, last night's loss probably cost Bob Stoops $27,500, since OU is unlikely now to finish in the Top 10.

vCash

Well I didn't get a bonus for sitting through that slop either.
    2 users like KCRuf/Nek's post: BajaOklahoma, p23570

Blame firearms
    2 users like sooners2win's post: ab5sr, KCRuf/Nek

I think it's just Stoops who is apathetic, not me....

I did see a kid wearing a Thunder hoodie at the game last night and thought wtf. I love the Thunder as much as anyone, but at least wear OU shit for one more time this season...

vCash

The fans are not happy right now.

Hell this is how I parked at work today!
    The following users like this post: KCRuf/Nek

Originally Posted by SoonerSean03 View Post
    Apparently his biggest problem is missing out on a bonus.
    He needed that $27K to pay for one imported Italian sofa for his new castle.

When was the last time something as exciting as this happened for OU football? How long do you think it will take for it to happen again on the current trajectory?

True Sooner fans are not going to stop watching OU football ever, especially when those fans don't watch pro basketball. Thunder basketball will stop selling out (if they sell out at all) before OU football does. What does that arena seat 20K or about 20% of what Owen field does? **** the Thunder.
    The following users like this post: soonerbldr

vCash

Originally Posted by eightisgreat View Post
    True Sooner fans are not going to stop watching OU football ever, especially when those fans don't watch pro basketball. Thunder basketball will stop selling out (if they sell out at all) before OU football does. What does that arena seat 20K or about 20% of what Owen field does? **** the Thunder.
    That's ****ing stupid. Did you ever attend a game in the 90's? Was it sold out? Fans come to games to watch their team win. If OU doesn't win... they won't sell out.

vCash

I think you're on to something.

OU games are a win-win for me. I always pull for the Sooners, great kids......but in the event that they lose, the fan meltdowns are golden entertainment. But I will admit, it's not the same as it used to be. The Sooners aren't the same program, the Big 12 has changed, the Huskers are gone, the National Champions are history, the 3-8 Pokes are long gone, the Texas program isn't what it used to be, the Thunder is the thing......I don't know, I miss the old time Sooner meltdowns. Good times.

This also matters insofar as fundraising, ticket prices, prestige to recruits.

Let's say you're a 40 year old with a wife and 2 or 3 kids and your kids are obsessed with the Thunder like most kids in the OKC area seem to be right now. Income-wise, you're middle to upper middle class. Also assume that OU football continues on it's current trajectory of 8-10 win seasons that seem to end in disappointment. If you're that 40 year old in my example, are you going to spend $5K to $8K per year on OU football tickets for the family or Thunder tickets for the family?

My guess is they'll go with a top level NBA team and OU will be an 8-10 win program that sells out for the big games but the other games are hit or miss. That will end up hurting recruiting, fundraising, and all other things that go along with having a big time football program.

vCash

Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    You are spot on about the Thunder. You see kids and soccer moms all over the place sporting Thunder gear. Oklahoma's biggest sports star right now is a whorn.

The Thunder has not been a good thing for OU. I think Thunder mania will eventually die down because they are still a novelty. However, I can't go so far as to say they are one of Bob's biggest problems.

vCash

Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    The Thunder has not been a good thing for OU. I think Thunder mania will eventually die down because they are still a novelty. However, I can't go so far as to say they are one of Bob's biggest problems.
    It's not the Thunders fault that OU has been fielding a shitty product in bowl games. If OU doesn't want to be second fiddle to the Thunder, maybe the should put out a team that's as competitive and as exciting as the Thunder.

Thunder mania is alive and well because OKC happens to have a championship calibur team and a sure fire Hall of Famer who gives his all to OKC.
    4 users like S00nerJay's post: allanace16, KCRuf/Nek, McRib, StoopsIsMyHomeboy

The Thunder is not a novelty. If they were a garbage team with sell outs then, yes. Currently they're one of the top 3 teams in the NBA with a bunch of 23 year old players.

If OU ends up as an 8-10 win team with end of season disappointments, they're basically Georgia. (Georgia is the most overrated program in college football. They're always thought to be one of the big players but what have they ever won outside of the Herchel years?) I think OU would do OK as a Georgia type program but if the Big 12 wants to be able to demand big bucks like they get, then OU and Texas need to be better than they are right now.

vCash

Originally Posted by sweetnsourpoke View Post
    I think you're on to something.

OU games are a win-win for me. I always pull for the Sooners, great kids......but in the event that they lose, the fan meltdowns are golden entertainment. But I will admit, it's not the same as it used to be. The Sooners aren't the same program, the Big 12 has changed, the Huskers are gone, the National Champions are history, the 3-8 Pokes are long gone, the Texas program isn't what it used to be, the Thunder is the thing......I don't know, I miss the old time Sooner meltdowns. Good times.
    And A&M being in the SEC is going to take a huge toll on Our and texas recruiting. We saw it with the defections last year and in losing top tier recruits to A$M this year. Texas has the most talent of any other state but we have lost a lot of recruiting ground there the last few years.

vCash

I don't buy this. I lived in San Fran for several years and they have 6 pro teams. It doesn't seem to affect Stanford.

Last edited by soonerintn; July 19th, 2013 at 10:10 PM.

Originally Posted by Turk View Post

Durant spent one year at UT. I refuse to acknowledge him as a longhorn. You should too.
    The following users like this post: Morningwood

Take a huge toll? Didn't stoops give up on Texas recruiting already? I recall a quote earlier in the year about moving focus nationally because of all the poaching in Texas.

How are we all so apathetic to piece of shyte programs like Oregon buying out recruits around the area? They are building something with recruits that shouldn't be leaving the area. For what's it worth (nothing, I know), I agree that the Thunder pull support. But that's not the primary problem. Who in the stands last night didn't call out every play before OU ran it?

vCash

Originally Posted by oujeremy View Post
    Durant spent one year at UT. I refuse to acknowledge him as a longhorn. You should too.
    Durant is a proud Longhorn and let's you know this every chance he gets. You should acknowledge it. He does.

Durant is a proud Longhorn and let's you know this every chance he gets. You should acknowledge it. He does.
    DKR also acknowledged his OU roots. Never hid from it. No one cared. If you're not a Thunder/Durant fan because he lived in Austin for 9 months then you're the only one who thinks that.

vCash

Originally Posted by Big Pimpin' View Post
    I'd like to complain about the game last night but the complaints are a broken record going back years. No tackling, no running game, borderline retard at OC. Why rehash the past?

Anyway, OU is not a Top 10 program anymore and judging by the talent on campus and the recruits committed, that's not going to change in the next few years. We're looking at more years of highly ranked pre-season teams, blown games because of bad defense/shaky play calling, and 9 or 10 win seasons followed by a bowl loss.

It's hard for me to get excited about that. Sure, I'll watch the games but by give a shit meter is on low.

The long term problem may be combined fan apathy with a successful pro sports team in OKC. It struck me that Stoops was getting questions the week after Notre Dame about the James Harden trade. OU just played Notre Dame and people were talking about a trade involving backup players. Think about that.

Also look at what the Thunder did to interest in OU and OSU's basketball programs. Even when one team wasn't very good, you could count on them to at least sell out when they played each other. Not anymore.

I've also noticed the young people in the state are obsessed with the Thunder. Back in the day, it was OU football. Now, they're waiting for the playoffs to start.

So, in short, Stoops and OU's long term problem may be fan apathy. It won't be the automatic hot ticket in town anymore as long as the current trajectory remains. People will just stop caring, much like me.
    The stadium is always full but yeah I get what you're saying.. It may be a contributing factor..

"It's hard for me to get excited about that. Sure, I'll watch the games but by give a shit meter is on low."

This.

vCash

Stoops' biggest problem is probably his weight. He's put on a few pounds.

He's not up to Heupel's level of ****tits yet, but he's got a serious double chin developing.

vCash

[QUOTE=Big Pimpin';1024183]The Thunder is not a novelty. If they were a garbage team with sell outs then, yes. Currently they're one of the top 3 teams in the NBA with a bunch of 23 year old players."

How long do you guys actually think the NBA will let the Thunder be a top 3 team. The NBA is a joke. You guys might as well be watching the WWE. The Thunder is relativity new in town. It's in the interest of the NBA to make sure that it has followers, so the Thunder winning is pretty much assured. After they have been in OKC for a few more years, the NBA won't care anymore. Just look at Portland, the Utah Jazz and other small market teams for example. These teams have not so much as sniffed a chance at the championship for years.

Originally Posted by S00nerJay View Post
    It's not the Thunders fault that OU has been fielding a shitty product in bowl games. If OU doesn't want to be second fiddle to the Thunder, maybe the should put out a team that's as competitive and as exciting as the Thunder.

Thunder mania is alive and well because OKC happens to have a championship calibur team and a sure fire Hall of Famer who gives his all to OKC.
    It's not just Bowl games where we field a shitty product.

vCash

I don't live in OK so i have no insight to the effects of the Thunder but it seems to me Stoops biggest problems are his own apathy, absolute lack of speed (real/game breaking speed) on the roster, and shitty recruiting/talent evaluation especially in the trenches. Maybe denial too...

vCash

Edit: Misunderstood post nvm

vCash

[QUOTE=arcman46;1024415]
    The Thunder is not a novelty. If they were a garbage team with sell outs then, yes. Currently they're one of the top 3 teams in the NBA with a bunch of 23 year old players."

How long do you guys actually think the NBA will let the Thunder be a top 3 team. The NBA is a joke. You guys might as well be watching the WWE. The Thunder is relativity new in town. It's in the interest of the NBA to make sure that it has followers, so the Thunder winning is pretty much assured. After they have been in OKC for a few more years, the NBA won't care anymore. Just look at Portland, the Utah Jazz and other small market teams for example. These teams have not so much as sniffed a chance at the championship for years.
    Yes, the NBA quickly stopped the Spurs from doing well after the low ratings in the 1999 NBA Finals.

Originally Posted by S00nerJay View Post

Let us know when Owen Field, seating 85,000, begins being impacted by the Thunder, until then, there is no legitimate argument that OU football is playing 'second fiddle' to the Thunder. I remember when some shit bird media member tried to say the same thing a year or two ago. Not happening, not now, not ever.

Hardcore Thunder fans are casual college football fans and I would guess a very low percentage graduated from OU.

Originally Posted by eightisgreat View Post
    Let us know when Owen Field, seating 85,000, begins being impacted by the Thunder, until then, there is no legitimate argument that OU football is playing 'second fiddle' to the Thunder. I remember when some shit bird media member tried to say the same thing a year or two ago. Not happening, not now, not ever.
    What does seating capacity of Owen Field have to do with the price of butter in China ?

Thunder sellout 18,000 seats at least 42 times per year, along with playoff games.

And have you seen the prices of Thunder tickets on the secondary market ? Just make a trip to StubHub and look at prices for any game, they sell from 2 X's to 4 X's face value. And if its the Lakers , Heat , or Mavs .......... they go for more than that. I know of some tickets to see the Heat on Feb 14th, that are face value $56 and sold for $500 each. People spend money on the Thunder. A lot of money.

Thunder are only in their fifth season and they cuttin deep into OU football, real deep.

vCash

We'll see how hardcore Thunder fans are when Durant blows out a knee, and they go back to winning 15 games.

Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    We'll see how hardcore Thunder fans are when Durant blows out a knee, and they go back to winning 15 games.
    Well, we are seeing how hard core OU football fans are now, as they break their ankles jumping off the bandwagon.

There's so many things I like about the Thunder, but one of the biggest is it does not matter where I got my bachelors degree. I don't have some snobby OU grad holding it over me that I did not attend OU and that I don't know where the library is on campus. Guess what, I could give a **** where the library is on campus, and being a Thunder fan, its not an issue.

That and CFB is nothing but a bunch of politics = polls, opinions, biases in regional and national media ........... talk about a ****ing joke. And this is from someone whose been a CFB fan for 50 + years. Its a joke.

Public opinion, or media opinion, does not matter in the NBA as it does in CFB. All that matters is play on the court and hiring a good GM. I like that , a lot.

And in one fell swoop, A&M just became the dominant football team in our region, with three simultaneous moves. Going to the SEC, hiring Sumlin, and recruiting a spectacular QB. A fortuitous combination of events that's gonna choke off OU's recruiting punch in Texas for years. OU will be looking up at A&M for a long time.

vCash

Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    Well, we are seeing how hard core OU football fans are now, as they break their ankles jumping off the bandwagon.

There's so many things I like about the Thunder, but one of the biggest is it does not matter where I got my bachelors degree. I don't have some snobby OU grad holding it over me that I did not attend OU and that I don't know where the library is on campus. Guess what, I could give a **** where the library is on campus, and being a Thunder fan, its not an issue.

That and CFB is nothing but a bunch of politics = polls, opinions, biases in regional and national media ........... talk about a ****ing joke. And this is from someone whose been a CFB fan for 50 + years. Its a joke.

Public opinion, or media opinion, does not matter in the NBA as it does in CFB. All that matters is play on the court and hiring a good GM. I like that , a lot.

And in one fell swoop, A&M just became the dominant football team in our region, with three simultaneous moves. Going to the SEC, hiring Sumlin, and recruiting a spectacular QB. A fortuitous combination of events that's gonna choke off OU's recruiting punch in Texas for years. OU will be looking up at A&M for a long time.
    I haven't read where ONE OU fan said he is no longer a fan..

Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    I haven't read where ONE OU fan said he is no longer a fan..
    Yeah, well I've had season tickets for 20 years. I bought in during the Gibbs era when they were jumping off the bandwagon in droves, and I held my seats all through Schnelly and Blake.

And I can tell you, things are gonna get worse in Norman, before they get better.

And the bandwagon will lose a lot of occupants. Been there, seen that, got the T-Shirt.

vCash

Yeah, well I've had season tickets for 20 years. I bought in during the Gibbs era when they were jumping off the bandwagon in droves, and I held my seats all through Schnelly and Blake.

And I can tell you, things are gonna get worse in Norman, before they get better.

And the bandwagon will lose a lot of occupants. Been there, seen that, got the T-Shirt.
    Could be I have been a fan for a long time and fans do get disgusted when the Administration won't make changes.. I have been a fan since BUD and I'm still on the so called bandwagon..

vCash

The NBA draft has a way of equalizing teams over a period of time.

It’s unlikely the Thunder can sustain their winning ways and in a few years when the record starts to suffer its likely their attendance will suffer.
    Regardless of record, OKC is an oil bust away from poor Thunder attendance.

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post

It’s unlikely the Thunder can sustain their winning ways and in a few years when the record starts to suffer its likely their attendance will suffer.
    Tell that to the Spurs. The franchise that Clay Bennett was once a part owner.

Well managed franchises can sustain success for a long time. As long as Kevin Durant is a Thunder, and Sam Presti is the GM, the Thunder will do just fine.

The NBA franchises that do poorly, are poorly managed.

vCash

Tell that to the Spurs. The franchise that Clay Bennett was once a part owner.

Well managed franchises can sustain success for a long time. As long as Kevin Durant is a Thunder, and Sam Presti is the GM, the Thunder will do just fine.

The NBA franchises that do poorly, are poorly managed.
    Kevin Durant won’t always be on the Thunder team….that’s the time I am talking about.
    But still, Durant or not, an oil bust sends the attendance spiraling downward.

When was the last time something as exciting as this happened for OU football? How long do you think it will take for it to happen again on the current trajectory?

Umm, when we won the Big 12 this year.

The NBA franchises that win have always won. There's very little parity in that league. The Spurs have been good for a very long time. The Clippers haven't. The Bulls without Michael Jordan have been generally awful. The Nets are always terrible.

The Thunder are run well and have young stars. They will be relevant for a very long time. If you think that OU football has a monopoly and that the Thunder are a flash in the pan, you're wrong.

OU needs to admit that the level of play the past 4 year is unacceptable. The fans should demand more, too.

Originally Posted by Soonerside View Post
    Umm, when we won the Big 12 this year.
    And people cared more about the Western Conference Finals. That's my point.

vCash

Originally Posted by XxSuBLiMexX View Post
    **** you for typing so much.
    Lmfao

vCash

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post

Well,
    Ok is an oil bust away from being just POOR.