New wrinkles in Cotton Bowl game.

Posted 621 day(s) ago 1474 Views 22 Replies

I kinda expected OU to spring something new, trick plays etc last night. Except for the Shepherd end around, saw nothing new come out of a month's practice. Aggie HB pass worked perfectly.
    Wouldn't count Bell's pass as unusual since that has been run before and nobody was fooled by it.

Bell running the zone read was a new wrinkle. That's about all I saw.
    The following users like this post: soonerintn

Not playing in the 3rd quarter?
    The following users like this post: Burglekutt

Running the ball on 2nd and long like you are actually going to make it past the line of scrimmage was a funny wrinkle.
    2 users like XxSuBLiMexX's post: soonernima, StoopsIsMyHomeboy

bob is saving them for the spring game

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    I kinda expected OU to spring something new, trick plays etc last night. Except for the Shepherd end around, saw nothing new come out of a month's practice. Aggie HB pass worked perfectly.
    Wouldn't count Bell's pass as unusual since that has been run before and nobody was fooled by it.
    My immediate thought: Why in the **** would you ever think that!!!!!!!

If there is one thing Stoops won't do is change anything for a bowl game, ask USC about that.
    The following users like this post: soonerintn

We sure didn't look one or two gimmicky plays away from beating A&M...we could barely execute our base offense against them.

Giving up in the 3rd quarter?

Originally Posted by eightisgreat View Post
    My immediate thought: Why in the **** would you ever think that!!!!!!!

If there is one thing Stoops won't do is change anything for a bowl game, ask USC about that.
    I don't buy that new gimmicks would undue a 36-point deficit. It might help, but there's no guarantees that new plays will work

Millard's different touches were new. I saw lots of new things in the 1st half that impressed me. 3rd qtr and beyond was like being in the Twilight Zone.
    2 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: OUMallen, oupunk

A trick play, if worked, might have given the team some juice. We had the momentum going into and out of half and we go three and out three times to start the half. That is why we lost and the team gave up and quit.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Giving up in the 3rd quarter?
    Great wrinkle.

"All season long our offense has performed in a great way. Just look at our stats. High level all season long. Why would we change anything?" --Bob Stoops

Against the best teams we played the offense did shit. That we put points and yards up on WVU and OSU mean nothing. The whole staff is in denial.

At a preseason luncheon a fan asked Bob if they still practiced letting LJ run short yardage and goal line situations. Bob jumped all over the guy bc the Belldozer worked fine and proof was in our 3rd down conversion and scoring stats. Well - last night the Dozer got stuffed at the 1. That's just a microcosm of letting stats cloud facts. If we kill WVU and score 50 - and only have 13 on aTm until junk time -- which should we be more interested in?

Re: New wrinkles in Cotton Bowl game.

Originally Posted by ourn View Post
    "All season long our offense has performed in a great way. Just look at our stats. High level all season long. Why would we change anything?" --Bob Stoops
    Typical arrogance and hubris. I just can't understand his attitude. Must be nice up there on your high horse Bob.

I really liked the fetal position after halftime. That was a great wrinkle.
    The following users like this post: boomersooner53

Originally Posted by ouwxman View Post
    I don't buy that new gimmicks would undue a 36-point deficit. It might help, but there's no guarantees that new plays will work
    Agreed, we were too outmatched for it to matter, still wouldn't hurt to try something, anything, to ignite the team. I do find it kind of amusing that aTm actually reached in their bag of tricks when they didn't need to.

I just caught a replay of the 3rd and goal from the one when we had Bell in at QB (but, of course, ended up kicking a FG). You'll recall that he rolled to the right and was going to throw it into the end zone but had to throw it away. Throwing it away is better than making a mistake such as throwing an oskie, but I didn't realize that his sole option as a receiver was Jayden Bird. Jayden freaking Bird. Bird did a great job as a blocker, linebacker and special-teams player throughout his career, but I found it unbelievable that the play called by Heupel meant that Bird was Bell's sole intended target.

Either that or run it. Now the reason you use Bird is because he is a LBer and nobody would assume the play was a pass to him. Problem was he didn't sell it well...nobody did.

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Either that or run it. Now the reason you use Bird is because he is a LBer and nobody would assume the play was a pass to him. Problem was he didn't sell it well...nobody did.
    Right, and it didn't even look as though Bell was trying to sell that it was a QB run. He ran laterally during the entire play.

Yep. As soon as it snapped I, along with the commentator, said 'pass'. May have been more effective had Bird just ran like he was blocking, fell down, and got back up and went to the backline.

Offense

Originally Posted by max fischer View Post
    Bell running the zone read was a new wrinkle. That's about all I saw.
    Agree on the zone read. I hope to see more of that. With Bell's running threat, our RB core, and Bell's arm...the option could be a huge benefit next year.

Option would also work really well with Trevor Knight who by the way was recruited over Johnny Bar Fight at aTm.

Originally Posted by BoomSoon View Post
    Agree on the zone read. I hope to see more of that. With Bell's running threat, our RB core, and Bell's arm...the option could be a huge benefit next year.

Option would also work really well with Trevor Knight who by the way was recruited over Johnny Bar Fight at aTm.
    Trevor is a class behind Johnny my man....