Our Crowd Sucked

Posted 664 day(s) ago 4140 Views 41 Replies

Our Crowd Sucked

Just got back from Dallas. Setting aside the hammering we took in the second half Friday...I guess the only people who bought tickets on the Sooner side were scalpers and those people who tell you to sit down during the game. The only noise that was made was on the touchdown before the half and JF's INT. And it wasn't that loud. A&M brought the noise. Just my observation...made it hurt much worse.
    Regardless...Boomer Sooner!!

Had a chance to go. Glad I didn't. would've pissed me off royally to spend money to watch that abomination.

Our Crowd Sucked

It was the Cotton Bowl. ATM had a magical season. Wow! The Cotton Bowl!

We went to yet another non-BCS game. Oh, the Cotton Bowl. Guess its better than the Brut Sun Bowl and the Insight.com Bowl. Yeah, okay, cool, the Cotton Bowl.

Surprised about this?

Hey Jack our team sucked too....

Because of my work, this was my third straight Cotton Bowl. Of all the teams that I've seen, OU brought the smallest number of fans as well as the most quiet fans. I'm not just talking during the game. Our fans barely made any noise pregame or all night. No way would could compete with the Aggy fans but you'd like to think we could have represented a little bit better.
    The following users like this post: COLLISON ANGRY

I went to the game and I was excited...until I saw the crap that the Sooners brought out on the field. Why should I waste my breath when they're not wasting theirs?

I think it was obvious as soon as it was announced where we were going there was no excitement about this game. it was just another average season for us and yea, who do we get in the bowl game? A team that just left our conference and oh yeah, we've owned them, yawn. on the other hand aggie has their best team in years and the first freshman to win the heisman and this is their biggest bowl in years so yeah they can't wait to show us how good they are now. rightfully they had all the excitement and momentum.

Most Sooner fans, if they were honest, knew pretty much how the game was going to go. Nothing in our second half of the season suggested the defense would rise up and play good consistent ball. Knowing we were facing a running QB caused even more heartburn.

So in the end... surprised we sold all our tickets to begin with.
    2 users like SoonerSean03's post: oupunk, RenegadeSooner

Originally Posted by SoonerSean03 View Post
    Most Sooner fans, if they were honest, knew pretty much how the game was going to go. Nothing in our second half of the season suggested the defense would rise up and play good consistent ball. Knowing we were facing a running QB caused even more heartburn.

So in the end... surprised we sold all our tickets to begin with.
    I thought...if we could score then OU would have a chance. Once I saw our offense get stopped in the red zone, twice, then I knew we didn't have a chance. After we got a 3 and out in the 2nd half to start, all my excitement went out the window. The Sooners can blame themselves for the lethargic crowd, IMO.

Yeah - I thought our best hope was a WVU/OSU type shootout where maybe a TO or just having the ball last would make the difference. The two first half failures inside the 10 to score a TD made me doubt it was possible even at just 13-14. When we punted to open the half... it was over. And that's sad to say so early in a game.

Why should the Sooners crowd have cheer that bullshit game? Nobody should've cheered that abomination.

"The crowd" should have risen up and booed the product their 5 Million dollar coach keeps putting on the field.

Originally Posted by mightysooner View Post
    "The crowd" should have risen up and booed the product their 5 Million dollar coach keeps putting on the field.
    We were saying the same thing...but 20 years of being a season ticket holder only gets you nosebleeds for the OU allotment. If we were closer to the field we would have booed the coaching staff! It was horrid to watch in person!

Originally Posted by mightysooner View Post
    I was in the upperdeck and I was booing the shit out of everyone. Coaches, players, you name it.

I was in said crowd and yes we did suck, but as others had posted, not much to cheer about, numbers were probably 70-30 in favor of the aggies, I went but it was hard to get up for, wish I had just stayed home, unfortunately probably the best bowl we will be in for a while. Don't see any urgency to improve from the leadership anymore...

Originally Posted by catfishcurtis View Post
    I was in said crowd and yes we did suck, but as others had posted, not much to cheer about, numbers were probably 70-30 in favor of the aggies, I went but it was hard to get up for, wish I had just stayed home, unfortunately probably the best bowl we will be in for a while. Don't see any urgency to improve from the leadership anymore...
    I regret going too, it was by far and away the worst 700 bucks I've spent on an OU football game.

Originally Posted by catfishcurtis View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt this way. I wanted to cheer hard for the Sooners, but I felt all the excitement I had at pre-game go down the drain almost too soon int he game. Loved the experience of seeing Cowboys Stadium in person, but I could've done that at a Cowboys game.

(And I hate the Cowboys!)

Well, we were the visitors. Their band played over our intro video, their fans were almost always on the screen, their QB had individual music videos.
    3 users like TheLadiesMike's post: BajaOklahoma, COLLISON ANGRY, Tundra

Nah, we were supposed to be the home team. That's why we wore crimson. We did everything second too. "Co conference champions" gave us that.

Originally Posted by SoonerDan74012 View Post
    I regret going too, it was by far and away the worst 700 bucks I've spent on an OU football game.
    Damn!!! You spent $700 bucks on that. No wonder you have been on a terror the past couple days.

Originally Posted by RenegadeSooner View Post
    Damn!!! You spent $700 bucks on that. No wonder you have been on a terror the past couple days.
    Tickets, hotel, gas, parking, food...... yeah.

Schooner

We were outnumbered but I guess most of us expected this kind of outcome. Our crowd was pretty quiet.

I think the crowd is a byproduct of our coach. Over the last few years he hasn't allowed any fans to watch spring practices or fall camp. Instead, we get 5 min clips of people streching on soonersports. He has stopped taking phone calls on his radio show. His press conferences are a complete waste of time with very little insight and the same bullshit answers every week. When confronted with issues, he becomes defensive and claims there aren't any problems or talks about what he has done in past years. Everything Bob has done in the last 3-4 years has created a wall between him and the fans and it has become harder for the fans to get excited.

Take all that and the spotty play, it gets hard to support the team through it all.
    4 users like schoonerdriver's post: Comanche, OU48A, Soonerinsec, Tundra

Originally Posted by Soonrbakr View Post
    Just got back from Dallas. Setting aside the hammering we took in the second half Friday...I guess the only people who bought tickets on the Sooner side were scalpers and those people who tell you to sit down during the game. The only noise that was made was on the touchdown before the half and JF's INT. And it wasn't that loud. A&M brought the noise. Just my observation...made it hurt much worse.
    Regardless...Boomer Sooner!!
    SEC! SEC! SEC!

Originally Posted by schoonerdriver View Post
    I think the crowd is a byproduct of our coach. Over the last few years he hasn't allowed any fans to watch spring practices or fall camp. Instead, we get 5 min clips of people streching on soonersports. He has stopped taking phone calls on his radio show. His press conferences are a complete waste of time with very little insight and the same bullshit answers every week. When confronted with issues, he becomes defensive and claims there aren't any problems or talks about what he has done in past years. Everything Bob has done in the last 3-4 years has created a wall between him and the fans and it has become harder for the fans to get excited.

Take all that and the spotty play, it gets hard to support the team through it all.
    There is a lot of truth to this^
    In many ways the OU football program has become emotionally detached to its fans.
    It feels and acts way to much like a very large bureaucratic corporation.

I thought the exact same thing. Nobody cared during the pregame. Nobody cared when we intercepted Johnny Goofball in the endzone. And if you were blind you wouldn't have even noticed when we scored our TD because it was so quiet.

I was in section 407.

To me it felt more like a coming home party for TAMU and less like a Cotton Bowl game. Did anybody else notice they piped the sound of the TAMU band into the stadium speakers? I was in 218 and always heard the TAMU band very clearly

Yeah - I thought our best hope was a WVU/OSU type shootout where maybe a TO or just having the ball last would make the difference. The two first half failures inside the 10 to score a TD made me doubt it was possible even at just 13-14. When we punted to open the half... it was over. And that's sad to say so early in a game.
    The settling for fg's instead of td's in the first half was dreadful. But the 3 and out after halftime sealed it I thought

Originally Posted by Soonerlife View Post
    The settling for fg's instead of td's in the first half was dreadful. But the 3 and out after halftime sealed it I thought
    Yup. Needed points coming out of halftime to make it a game. After the 3 and out, you saw our team give up. Especially when aTm went right now the field and scored.

Aside from all the hyperbolic glooming and dooming, Bob's actions and product are eroding alot of the good will he has built up over the years, and alot of the brand equity. If things do not change, and for the better, it will all become a self fulfilling prophecy a lot quicker than he may hope.

With regards to Stoops and the fans - I went to a preseason luncheon where Bob, Mike and Josh spoke. It was at a big church on the west side of town - in case anyone else here went. Anyhow - fans could ask questions and I thought Bob was a complete **** to the ones that did get to ask something.

One old guy said that when Bud was there (and he obviously was from that era) we substituted more and he didn't think we did that enough now when we got a big lead. Bob told him he wasn't paying attention and that we sub a lot. Now any fan can tell you that's not true. It's been an issue since Bob has been here that starters are in late in blowouts.

Another fan asked Josh about the Dozer and if they continued to practice other schemes for goal line or short yardage situations. He answered that we did and said a few other things. When he's done Bob jumps in and sounds pissed that the guy would ask such a question. He said he needed to point out our high level of success with the Dozer in terms of 3rd down conversion and scoring. At no point had the fan intended his question to be an attack. He was honestly curious and when Bob was done you would have thought the guy had said Carol was a ho. Same for the old guy that dared to ask about substitutions.

The guy that took me isn't a fan - he was just a donor to the group that benefited from the lunch. On the way out he asked me if Bob was always a dick.
    The following users like this post: Spade1000

It was so bad even Oorah left at the end of the 3rd quarter. The rest of the crowd followed his lead.

There was nothing to cheer about. It was quiet because we were getting our collective ass ****ED by A&M.
    The following users like this post: SoonerDan74012

Our Crowd Sucked

I tried my best to tackle Manaziel from my TV. Sorry to let the team down.
    4 users like Nazgul's post: DarrellS011, fdubzou, SoonerDan74012, Stein7495

Me and my kid went. The stadium is only 20 minute drive from our neighborhood and we scored really good suite tickets but of course in was right in the middle of the Aggie fans! it was like a home game for them! and when our offense couldn't score a TD in the red zone and our defense was to busy kissing Johnny footballs ass instead of smacking him around me and the kid both said, I hope we are still in this game at the half, and all the Johnny football videos and shit made us sick! and then the SEC chant!!!! ****s!!!!!!

Watching on TV, when A&M came out of the tunnel, the fans were loud as shit and the players were jumping up and down acting crazy, I thought, oh no but when the Sooners came out of the tunnel, I thought they were not only just as loud but a little louder. The players acted calm and confident though, like they had been there before and expected to win. None of them acted fired up and ready to kick some ass.

I thought we played pretty well offensively the first half but wasn't too excited when we brought in the Belldozer after Landry had moved the ball down the field with ease and when we had to settle for FGs while A&M was scoring TDs, I knew it was going to be a long night with not much to cheer about. I wouldn't have been upset had we lined him up under center and tried to plow it in from the one but trying to score against A&M from the five where Bell was lined up at put us at a disadvantage.

Then we come out in the second half and do our usual by turning one dimensional and trying to throw the ball every down which put the pressure on the QB and let A&M do exactly what they wanted to do, just like K-State and Notre Dame did. The game was over at the second half kick off. We ran the ball hardly at all until the 4th quarter when A&M had a huge lead and we just wanted to run the clock out and get out of Cowboy Stadium as fast as we could.

I thought A&M would win a close high scoring game but I had no idea that our offense would come out and lay an egg. This experiment with Josh has got to end. I'm not sure what the fans see in Damien Williams either. Unless the OL opens up a huge hole for him, he can't run for shit. He has more sacks that LJ. Clay, Whaley, Millard and Finch are all better backs but for some reason, we hardly ever use them. Unless we get more physical next year on offense and start pounding defenses with the run game instead of trying to beat everyone with a dink and dunk pass game and draws out of the pistol, we can expect the same outcome that we've seen since 2008.

Originally Posted by Soonerlife View Post
    But did you still suck Bob's dick when he got home or are you beginning to grasp what "we've" been saying for the past several years?
    The following users like this post: SarasotaSooner

My dad and I made the drive from Tulsa to Dallas...we sat in 416 mixed in with Aggie fans...about 50/50 in our section...the Aggies had a lot more to cheer than we did...we cheered early...then ran out of things to cheer about...we left with 12 minutes left...we weren't the only ones leaving at that time, and a lot had already left...we were tired of watching the Aggie fans celebrate around us...

With regards to Stoops and the fans - I went to a preseason luncheon where Bob, Mike and Josh spoke. It was at a big church on the west side of town - in case anyone else here went. Anyhow - fans could ask questions and I thought Bob was a complete **** to the ones that did get to ask something.

One old guy said that when Bud was there (and he obviously was from that era) we substituted more and he didn't think we did that enough now when we got a big lead. Bob told him he wasn't paying attention and that we sub a lot. Now any fan can tell you that's not true. It's been an issue since Bob has been here that starters are in late in blowouts.

Another fan asked Josh about the Dozer and if they continued to practice other schemes for goal line or short yardage situations. He answered that we did and said a few other things. When he's done Bob jumps in and sounds pissed that the guy would ask such a question. He said he needed to point out our high level of success with the Dozer in terms of 3rd down conversion and scoring. At no point had the fan intended his question to be an attack. He was honestly curious and when Bob was done you would have thought the guy had said Carol was a ho. Same for the old guy that dared to ask about substitutions.

The guy that took me isn't a fan - he was just a donor to the group that benefited from the lunch. On the way out he asked me if Bob was always a dick.
    I hope someone questions his quiting in the 4th quarter. His attitude needs to be in question and how he intends to lead this team....

Re: Our Crowd Sucked

And.... what's new?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I thought it was 75/25 aggie fans. And they drowned us out. No way could we compete and I tried.
    They were rude, as usual. Singing during our Alma Mater.

I still say the best thing was the OU fan who started the USA chant when they started the SEC chant. We should always do that.