Rich white guy problems

Posted 664 day(s) ago 7342 Views 279 Replies
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3

Rich white guy problems

I have been saving up for a Mac for som iOS development and will have the funds together next week. I will be using my brother's student id so I get a small discount.

I am torn between a MacBook Air with 256GB SSD, core i5 processor, 8gb of ram. Or a 13" MacBook Pro with a retina display, 128 GB SSD, and 8GB of memory.

The MacBook Air is speced up a but, and right at $1459 or so. The MacBook Pro is around $1600.

Seems like the MacBook Air is a better deal than the more powerful MacBook Pro to me. In part due to the lack of an actual video card on the pro.

I what should I get land thieves?

A better audience to get an aswer
    The following users like this post: RenegadeSooner

You're rich...buy both of em...

Rich white guy problems

I thought this would be about Johnny Football?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: allanace16

You shouldn't use your brothers id, that's lying
    4 users like Yasiel Puig's post: dtex, hOUrricane, SiggyPoke, Stinger_1066

Also buying a $1400 computer doesn't make you a rich guy

hopefully my 27" imac with i7 processor arrives tuesday...

Rich white guy problems

Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    If he's paying cash for it, it absolutely does.
    The following users like this post: OnlyOneOklahoma

Rich white guy problems

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    hopefully my 27" imac with i7 processor arrives tuesday...
    Let me know your thoughts.

I plan on putting windows 8 on a boot camp partition so I can run Visual Studio and do my own personal development.

I just don't think I can justify the price of the 13" MacBook Pro with retina display over a MacBook Air.

Rich white guy problems

$1400 is a lot for a computer dude.

Rich white guy problems

Don't be poor.
    The following users like this post: suncoastsooner

Originally Posted by soonerprices View Post
    Don't be poor.
    If you have to mention the price it's too much.
    3 users like KCRuf/Nek's post: BernieMadoff, Stinger_1066, Yasiel Puig

Rich white guy problems

I am leaning towards the MacBook Air. Seems like it can run visual studio 2012 just fine.

you don't need a mac to do ios dev

Rich white guy problems

Unless you are talking about that dumb telerik IDE, I believe you are mistaken.

Rich white guys don't have to save to buy a $1400 computer.

You shouldn't be using your brother's id to get a discount. If you do not qualify for a discount, you should pay the full price.

Don't be poor.

He's a Democrat what else is he supposed to be?

Rich white guy problems

Originally Posted by bJ0 View Post
    Rich white guys don't have to save to buy a $1400 computer.
    Macs are expensive as shit dude.

Rich white guy problems

Rom/Bjorn

Remember where you are, then try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: teh don

Originally Posted by Troker View Post
    If he's paying cash for it, it absolutely does.
    I hope you are kidding.

Last edited by soonerintn; July 19th, 2013 at 10:00 PM.

If you had to save up for it, you are not rich.

Go with the Pro. The air isn't that great unless you only want to surf the web & use the cloud. Some people really like that, but I am not currently a big cloud fan.

If you don't need mobility, get an Imac

Rich white guy problems

Why are people trolling. I am genuinely asking a question. The retina pro just does not seem like as good a deal to me as an air. Can some one please give me a reason to spend $150 more for less storage and the same computer?

Rich white guy problems

Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    You should get a better job so you don't have to cheat a company by using your brother's ID.

Rich white guy problems

Air. Unless you are into graphic design I don't think you need the pro.
    2 users like Coach's post: OnlyOneOklahoma, soonirvana

Rich white guy problems

Air. Unless you are into graphic design I don't think you need the pro.
    Thanks. My demand is ultra portable with enough horse power for software development, otherwise I would plunk down for the 15" pro with retina display. The 13" Pro just feels like an expensive **** child of the lineup.

Get the Air. I have a 2011 13" Air...the retina 13" Pro, while having a wonderful display...isn't worth the premium over the Air for what you are wanting to do.

Rich white guy problems

If you're serious about doing development work on it then get the Pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'd go with a dual monitor, desktop setup for coding.

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    I have been saving up for a Mac for som iOS development and will have the funds together next week. I will be using my brother's student id so I get a small discount.

I am torn between a MacBook Air with 256GB SSD, core i5 processor, 8gb of ram. Or a 13" MacBook Pro with a retina display, 128 GB SSD, and 8GB of memory.

The MacBook Air is speced up a but, and right at $1459 or so. The MacBook Pro is around $1600.

Seems like the MacBook Air is a better deal than the more powerful MacBook Pro to me. In part due to the lack of an actual video card on the pro.

I what should I get land thieves?
    What does any of this have to do with being white?
    The following users like this post: OUSchitzo

Rich white guy problems

Depends on what you are going to use it for. the pro is more for gaming and heavier apps, while the air is for you lighter features. In all actuality, it depends on what you going to use it for.

Well just comparing based on certain features. Macbook Air has no HDMI port compared to the Pro that does. Along with a SDXC card slot. Both of them don't come with CD/DVD drives and a new one must be bought. Pro w/out retina comes with a DVD/CD drive. Don't be poor and buy VMware or Parallels b/c your going to get annoyed rebooting out of everything to switch between iOS and W8. Just my 2cents go with the Pro.

Originally Posted by Shooterms View Post
    Or rich?
    4 users like Bruno Gianelli's post: Clark W. Griswold, OUSchitzo, Shooter, soonerintn

Don't you have yo make over 250K in your world to be rich?

Re: Rich white guy problems

Originally Posted by dallasstars10 View Post
    Well just comparing based on certain features. Macbook Air has no HDMI port compared to the Pro that does. Along with a SDXC card slot. Both of them don't come with CD/DVD drives and a new one must be bought. Pro w/out retina comes with a DVD/CD drive. Don't be poor and buy VMware or Parallels b/c your going to get annoyed rebooting out of everything to switch between iOS and W8. Just my 2cents go with the Pro.
    Does VMware fusion stutter or anything? Running boot camp seems pretty natural to the VMware issue.

Also, whats your take on the lack of a proper video card which is standard in the macbook pro lineup? Seems like a big component is missing to justify the premium in my opinion.

Rich white guy problems

$1400 is a lot for a computer dude.
    Not really.
    The following users like this post: Bob Loblaw

But seriously...what does race have to do with your questions?
    2 users like Shooter's post: Jason, ThievingMagpie

You don't have to get the Pro with Retina display. Doesn't seem like the retina display would be all that valuable to what you would be using it for.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ly/macbook_pro

If you decide you don't need the Retina, then the prices become more even. Since that's the case, go with the Pro. You will never regret having the muscle for when you might need it.

But seriously...what does race have to do with your questions?
    In before it dies in the Dome........
    2 users like jmizzy4ou's post: BernieMadoff, Shooter

Does VMware fusion stutter or anything? Running boot camp seems pretty natural to the VMware issue.

Also, whats your take on the lack of a proper video card which is standard in the macbook pro lineup? Seems like a big component is missing to justify the premium in my opinion.
    VMware runs fine and bootcamp is just a real pain in the ass. I started with bootcamp but got tired of having to shut down all of my programs and basically shutdown iOS and restart in Windows. VMware (look at the thread where another person asks about it) and we all explain its the way to go and easy to setup. You can run it through another window or you can run it native where all your programs just show up within your iOS called Unity View which just shows the application as if it were part of iOS. here is the link for it to view.

LIke mentioned also, if you don't want the retina display (which in my opinion is not necessary yet b/c lots of programs and things aren't up to the standards of retina) the normal MacBook Pro will be just fine. And the added savings from buying a non-retina you can get the 15 inch which I would recommend over the 13 inch which I have.

Currently I am running Macbook Pro 13" w/ 8 gigs of ram, Mountain Lion, VMWare Fusion 5 w/ Windows7 and Windows 8 and it works perfectly fine. Yeah my Windows 8 runs pretty slow due to the other programs I have running at the same time but its pretty easy to work with. Also, I can run Visual Studio 2012 perfectly fine on W7 without any hitches which you mentioned you would like to do.

I thought this would be about deciding which piece of an island to buy somewhere.

Highly disappointed.

Rich white guy problems

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Not really.
    I have built my past computers for around $800 (including splurging on video card and processor
    ) and the last workhorse laptop I had was $900 and that Lenovo still runs like a tank. Their is a Mac tax.

Rich white guy problems

Originally Posted by JJohnson14 View Post
    I thought this would be about deciding which piece of an island to buy somewhere.

Highly disappointed.
    I forgot my audience, where everyone here lives in Nichols Hills and has a membership to OKC Golf and Country Club.

Rich white guy problems

Originally Posted by dallasstars10 View Post
    VMware runs fine and bootcamp is just a real pain in the ass. I started with bootcamp but got tired of having to shut down all of my programs and basically shutdown iOS and restart in Windows. VMware (look at the thread where another person asks about it) and we all explain its the way to go and easy to setup. You can run it through another window or you can run it native where all your programs just show up within your iOS called Unity View which just shows the application as if it were part of iOS. here is the link for it to view.

LIke mentioned also, if you don't want the retina display (which in my opinion is not necessary yet b/c lots of programs and things aren't up to the standards of retina) the normal MacBook Pro will be just fine. And the added savings from buying a non-retina you can get the 15 inch which I would recommend over the 13 inch which I have.

Currently I am running Macbook Pro 13" w/ 8 gigs of ram, Mountain Lion, VMWare Fusion 5 w/ Windows7 and Windows 8 and it works perfectly fine. Yeah my Windows 8 runs pretty slow due to the other programs I have running at the same time but its pretty easy to work with. Also, I can run Visual Studio 2012 perfectly fine on W7 without any hitches which you mentioned you would like to do.
    Gotcha. I am ruling the 15" out simply due to weight and size making it more painful to lug about. The non retina 13" is a fine device but also 1 pound heavier than the retina counter part. So that is probably out for me as well.

My concern with the retina version of the 13 inch MacBook Pro is the integrated graphics card struggling with the display, but you don't think that is a problem?

I am not trying to look for a reason to not get the retina MacBook Pro. It just seems like a weird place. The value isn't in that machine that exists in the MacBook Air. But if you are running everything you need to develop just fine. I probably will get the pro.

Rich white guy problems

I have built my past computers for around $800 (including splurging on video card and processor
    ) and the last workhorse laptop I had was $900 and that Lenovo still runs like a tank. Their is a Mac tax.
    Absolute truth about Mac tax.

Keep in mind I am talking about a 13" laptop. Absolutely $1400+ is expensive.

The computer is white...?

Black guys don't buy computers?

Black guys don't buy computers?
    They use Linux.