Who is closer to fixing their program OU or Ut

Posted 473 day(s) ago 1138 Views 31 Replies
    vCash

Suicidal Pony Who is closer to fixing their program OU or Ut

Mack or Bob who can fix it first. We are not as far down as UT but we may be heading in their direction and they may be heading up or staying the same under Mack. What do you think. Who will be better in the next 4 years.

UT simply because Mack recognized there was a problem and he is taking steps to fix the problem. He sucks so therefore his solutions suck, but he is at least trying to do something about it.
    3 users like max fischer's post: DarrellS011, Diabeetus, sooners2win

vCash

If both coaches stay, Oklahoma. If either coach is replaced by anyone decent, That program will be the better of the two.

vCash

Ask again after 2013 season. I thnk the answer will be plain to see.

vCash

Originally Posted by CNCSOONER View Post
    Ask again after 2013 season. I thnk the answer will be plain to see.
    For what it's worth, Mack has been saying that 2013 would be the year Texas came back to prominance. Not saying he's right but that's what he has said.

vCash

Mack sucks. Stoops doesn't suck as hard. Mack attempts to bring in new blood and allegedly the best minds.... Bob, brings in the guys from his poker night, and family. If I were a gambling man, I would say Mack's way has a better chance of working than Bobs... that hurts to say.

Bob is overall a better coach but he's way too content and he's not hungry anymore. Like we've all said, at least Mack saw a problem and is trying to fix it. Bob sees no problem and now our recruits are jumping ship.

vCash

Hahaha you guys are idiots. Yeah, Mack saw a problem alright... After his team went 5-7.

4 users like soonerintn's post: OU Sam, OU812, Redhawk, SoonerDan74012

Last edited by soonerintn; July 19th, 2013 at 09:58 PM.

Originally Posted by PowerPower View Post
    Hahaha you guys are idiots. Yeah, Mack saw a problem alright... After his team went 5-7.
    Wasn't he making excuses even toward the end of that season by saying something like "we were so close to being 8-4 or 9-5"?

UT. They're closer to a HC change, they've been recruiting better than OU (yeah, I know), and one day a UT quarterback recruit will turn out to be very good.

vCash

But they were coming off a two year stretch of 25-2 and the 2 were the loss at Tech and the NCG without McCoy. It all snowballed on them. Our decline has been slow and obvious.

OU is losing out on recruits to the SEC, because OU is not ponying up the money. And I wish I was kidding.

Is that what it will take for Bob to see a problem?

Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    Texas is closer to fixing their program. Both programs will require a change at the top. Texas is closer to Mack retiring or getting fired than Bob is. Therefore, Texas is closer to getting fixed.
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
    The following users like this post: soonerintn

Texas is closer to fixing their program. Both programs will require a change at the top. Texas is closer to Mack retiring or getting fired than Bob is. Therefore, Texas is closer to getting fixed.
    Terrible observation. That is all
    The following users like this post: oorah_okie

Last edited by soonerintn; July 19th, 2013 at 09:58 PM.

vCash

OU/UT. The new FSU/Miami.
    2 users like oorah_okie's post: OU Sam, Val on the Getner

But he made ****ing changes....Do you really think Bob would make a change?

vCash

Originally Posted by Spade1000 View Post
    Mack sucks. Stoops doesn't suck as hard. Mack attempts to bring in new blood and allegedly the best minds.... Bob, brings in the guys from his poker night, and family. If I were a gambling man, I would say Mack's way has a better chance of working than Bobs... that hurts to say.
    I've been patiently delivering papers to his house for a few years now... Fingers crossed!!

vCash

I'm not saying there aren't things that need fixing, but it's amazing a team can win a conference and be compared to a team that has gone 22-16 the past 3 years. Not to mention the team that just won it's conference keeps running this team off the field.

OU right now is like early 2000s Texas, except it performs better at the Texas State Fair. Texas right now is softer than that. OU has had Texas's number the past few years, and I wouldn't expect that to change next year, personnel changes notwithstanding.

OU is engineered to a. beat Texas and b. win the Big XII, maybe in that order. Yes, these blowouts the past two years have not been against the finest teams Texas has ever fielded, but there is no way that OU was actually 42 points better than them this year, or 38 last year. Nor was there any way that OU was only 3 points worse than Texas in 2009. OU gets up for the RRS in a way that it doesn't for other opponents.

Head to head, I expect OU to continue rolling. I expect OU to continue contending for the Big XII, because while no one is an easy out except KU, no one jumps out as a "big game" opponent that OU apparently now dreads seeing either. That, in turn, will inevitably result in things staying about the same here, and changing in Austin. Whether the changes "fix" Texas's program remains to be seen.

vCash

Both teams need to implement more QB run game.
    Both teams need to get better at run blocking in the o-line.
    Both teams have huge problems at D-tackle. (OUs getting new ones and UT's returnees are terrible)
    Both teams have problems at D-end (OU's getting new ones except for Ndule, UT's Jeffcoat is hurt and overrated, and the other ones are about like Ndule)
    Both teams have below average to average linebackers.......except Hicks who's future is unknown.
    Both teams have overhyped secondaries this year lead by senior all stars who didn't have their best years.

All in all, Texas has the advantage because they are getting virtually their whole team back next year
    All in all, Oklahoma has the advantage because Texas is getting virtually their whole team back next year.
    The following users like this post: OU Sam

vCash

UT. OU cannot even put together a recruiting class with 25 players. A recruiting class like OU is putting together for 2013 is the sort of thing that sets you back years. Just ask UT. They're finally digging out of the hole.
    2 users like soonermd's post: Big Red One, lobster999

vCash

If come 2013 and we're still running the pistol offense with 50 pass attempts a game, I'm going to really question our program's ability to evolve and adapt. Same goes for the defense. Obviously that's not working ... so if they role the same crap out there next year and expect different results, I just don't know.

As an outsider I would say it's difficult to tell, both programs have problems but they are very different ones.

I think Stoops is still a great coach who has done a pretty fantastic job of keeping OU consistently good in spite of some talent dropoff. He knows how to develop players and he knows how to be a good gameday coach. The problem he is running in to is a dropoff in talent and it is going to be tough to fix. Recruiting Texas is going to be harder than ever over the coming years with A&M being successful in the SEC. For a long time OU thrived on getting the players that didn't want to go to Texas for whatever reason because they were a far superior program to A&M. In the late '80s and '90s just as now though A&M has the ability to sell those kids on playing for a great program and staying home and that's a hard thing to overcome no matter who coaches at OU. If a kid wants to live in Texas after graduation they are better off going to A&M or Texas, the reason to leave is for a better program. The key for Stoops is going to be to scout harder in Texas and focus on D/FW and North. With the East/West schedule of the SEC vs the Round Robin schedule of the Big 12 a kid from Houston for instance is playing 7 or 8 games a few miles down the road in CS and most of the road games aren't far in BR or Mississippi. Compare that to driving hundreds of miles to Norman with lots of games much farther away in WV, Kansas, and Iowa. The days of Brent Venables kicking Fran or Sherman's ass on the recruiting trail are not coming back anytime soon, Stoops is going to have to be creative.

Stoops needs to really focus on national recruiting and cleaning up in the other Big 12 states. I don't think the Spread attack is a bad option because it is harder than ever to get top D talent though he needs to figure out a way to solve that as well. JUCO recruiting is also an option. As much flack as he gets here Stoops' record of accomplishment is pretty amazing and he is still in great position to win the Big 12 every year because every school outside of Texas has more obstacles in recruiting than he does. I think Stoops is a very good gameday coach and objectively a Top 5 or certainly no worse than Top 10 coach no matter where he is. He knows how to prepare his team and how to win, he just needs to get the "Jimmies and the Joe's" because there are no Adrian Peterson's or Tommie Harris's on his squad right now. I still can't see him dropping below 8 wins though no matter how much trouble he is having in recruiting though.

Texas' problems are much more fundamental. They have talent but that is on the decline in a significant way. They simply aren't pulling down the recruits they were a few years ago. Ignore the rankings as Texas always has an inflated ranking due to their relationship with Bobby Burton. Look at offer lists and with your own eyes. It's been a slow and steady decline. More importantly though, Texas is still in denial and Mack was never a great gameday coach or developer of talent. He won because he had so many "Jimmy's and Joe's" that he could roll over 90% of the teams on his schedule, that just isn't the case anymore and hasn't been since '09. Texas has developed a soft culture of entitlement and he actively denounces anyone that has a critical or negative opinion. He is far too concerned about the image of the program to the point that the "Emperor has no clothes". I'm also not sure that simply replacing Mack fixes that problem, the culture goes all the way up through Dodds and Powers. They are still in denial that all is not well. There is a reason that Muschamp and Harsin couldn't wait to get out of there and were less than complementary as they walked out the door.

Texas will always have the ability to recruit well but changing the culture is another story. It's going to be a "get worse before you get better" situation because most of their current players know nothing other than their entitled and sheltered little world. I think it is going to take Dodds and Powers getting fired along with the right coaching hire and a cleaning house of much of the team to get them back to being a serious championship contender again. The parallels between Texas and the Dallas Cowboys are many IMO.

vCash

This is the exact answer I was going to go with. Texas is closer to fixing their program as Mack is MUCH closer to leaving. OU however, isn't YET to the level that UT is at. Stoops at least wins the Big 12 every few years before being blown out in a bowl game.

Originally Posted by max fischer View Post
    UT simply because Mack recognized there was a problem and he is taking steps to fix the problem. He sucks so therefore his solutions suck, but he is at least trying to do something about it.
    This. Bob said that we have no problem and nothing needs to be fixed.

We haven't bottomed out yet. Texas has.

vCash

UT. They can recruit better And played a lot of true freshman This past season

vCash

UT... they have better defense on the sideline than OU... They are only 2-3 player from being good.

Mack was fat and happy over a dozen years and then he got in trouble. Bob had a dozen years fat and happy and now he's getting in trouble.

Only difference between the two really is their age and the number of national championship games their teams have played in.

Bob is just now getting to where Mack has been for the last 3 years.

It's only by the grace of the football Gods that we didn't have 3 more losses this year. Easily could have been 7-5. It will be next year.

Texas is going to dump Mack after next year if he doesn't win, probably.

In three years Boren and Joe will finally come to the conclusion Bob should be fired. The heat will really escalate when we fall on our asses next year -- which I think we will.