Anyone seriously considering giving up their season tickets?

Posted 472 day(s) ago 3500 Views 130 Replies
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    vCash

Pretty weak home schedule next year.... Cost will probably go up another $50 or so per seat as it has every year... We'll have a new QB... Just wondering if any of you are seriously saying "I'm out!" ???

No. Regardless of how they play, I love Oklahoma football. If any season ticket holders are giving them up, they are pathetic. I support this team win or lose either way. No matter how much they frustrate me....so no i won't give mine up
    6 users like CitySooner's post: Aurora, CaptainTuttle, CNCSOONER, LetsgoSooners82, Lost Chickasaw, StatGeek

I paid my donation on 12/31. So I'm in. But we have 5 seats and another season like this one and we probably cut back to two and take turns taking the kids or buy tickets on game day. It's really too expensive now compared to what you can get non-marquee games for on campus corner.

I've had my own tickets since I was a student (20+ years) and can't imagine giving them up. But the economics of it don't make sense - regardless of the team's performance. Just makes it easier to contemplate giving them up.
    2 users like SoonerSean03's post: Lost Chickasaw, madillsoonerfan5353

vCash

if they are, I know plenty of people who are willing to buy them

vCash

If they aren't, they have no business ****ing about Bob's salary or team performance.

vCash

For as long as god grants me the ability I will keep buying them no matter what…..

Because the program is bigger than any coaching staff.
    + The fans are a big part of the program and fan apathy is like a cancer.
    2 users like OU48A's post: SoonerBeerSnob, StatGeek

I may go on a bit of a **** rant here, but with about 5 minutes to go against the Aggies (OK St.) i saw fans leaving. Yelled "Pathetic" and all they had to say was "we wanna beat the traffic" not only did they miss a Bedlam win, they missed the best moment at Owen Field in a long, long, time. I have always hated leaving early, and I feel the people leaving early should give them up their tickets.
    The following users like this post: StatGeek

vCash

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    For as long as god grants me the ability I will keep buying them no matter what…..

Because the program is bigger than any coaching staff.
    + The fans are a big part of the program and fan apathy is like a cancer.
    Do you think apathy is worse than enabling?

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash

I am giving up "mine". They are really some one else's and I bought them for this year. Waste of money.

I will still be goin to the games but will guy tickets from scalpers.

I had to give away my Kansas and Baylor extra tickets

Most people are paying for entertainment and right now, they are not getting it. Was there anything entertaining about the Cotton Bowl as a Sooner fan?

vCash

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Do you think apathy is worse than enabling?
    In OU’s current situation I don’t think buying tickets is enabling….. If it’s a bad situation and a change at the top is needed there will be plenty of pressure by those who have very strong influence at OU to make a change.
    In this case I don’t think Stoops has very thick skin, he will leave on his own if things get that bad.

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash

It is a bad investment right now

vCash

If you already have them, and you're really THAT pissed off, keep them then just sell them privately. Win-win.

NEVER.. Was a SOONER way before this shit and will be after shit passes.
    2 users like EastSideSooners's post: El Jefe, H82Lose

We have had them since late 50's early 60's and we gave them up this year. The price keeps getting higher and higher but the product is staying the same. Keep giving Stoops raises for a program that is running on cruise control.

vCash

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    Most people are paying for entertainment and right now, they are not getting it. Was there anything entertaining about the Cotton Bowl as a Sooner fan?
    Anticipation and the first half.

I disagree that people buy tickets just for entertainment value, as you define it. You can't just claim that losses aren't entertaining...the freaking away game at Oregon was one of the most entertaining games I have ever attended, but the outcome sure was shitty.

Most people go to show support...this is why there were still 50,000 in the stands when we were so shitty.

vCash

Originally Posted by CitySooner View Post
    I may go on a bit of a **** rant here, but with about 5 minutes to go against the Aggies (OK St.) i saw fans leaving. Yelled "Pathetic" and all they had to say was "we wanna beat the traffic" not only did they miss a Bedlam win, they missed the best moment at Owen Field in a long, long, time. I have always hated leaving early, and I feel the people leaving early should give them up their tickets.
    I agree….
    but the State, OU and the city of Norman really do need to find much better solutions to parking and traffic congestion.
    This is an issue that all OU fans need to be vocal about and direct their concerns to their elected leaders

Say what you will, I don't give a shit. Mine will be on eBay...

vCash

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    I don’t look at them as an investment, but more like a way of life that I enjoy…

Next year will be consecutive year #34 for me.

Originally Posted by oudidntknow84 View Post
    We have had them since late 50's early 60's and we gave them up this year. The price keeps getting higher and higher but the product is staying the same. Keep giving Stoops raises for a program that is running on cruise control.
    So you kept them through the Gibbs/Snelly/Blake years, but Stoops era is the straw that broke the camel's back?

vCash

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Madsen View Post
    Why bother with the circle jerk...just give them up.

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Madsen View Post
    why post it right here, how many and how much...I bet you they sell quick

vCash

I'm considering it. I considered it last year, but I bought them, then sold on StubHub.

Lots of reasons for me. Kids are getting into activities, making it nearly impossible to commit to full days in Norman on a regular basis. Don't enjoy tailgating as much as I used to. And, frankly, the product is not good. No good home games. Sold mine last year and paid for the premium on the Notre Dame tickets we got. The rest were better from my TV than they were from the stands. I think college sports in general are starting to price themselves out of the market, especially when there are other options. Add to that the fact that the on-field product has gotten stale and I'm considering not "up-fronting" the cost this year.
    2 users like IndySooner's post: oudidntknow84, ouspencer20

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    I will add that the OSU game was as entertaining as they come and worth the ticketprice.
    The following users like this post: Tweeder7

I bought my first non-student tickets during Gibbs last season. I watched the Smellsofbourbon and Blake debacles. I donate for 5 seats and then pay the ticket prices. On any given Saturday the average we spend (donation and ticket prices divided by 6) is a headache inducing number - so I try not to do the math too much. If we ever give them up it will be due to the expense finally not being worth the perceived benefit -- not as some kind of protest.

Besides - they would turn around and double the donation requirement and sell my tickets in seconds. So my protest would certainly fall on deaf ears. They'd actually like it if I quit going to the games.

Originally Posted by Julz View Post
    So you kept them through the Gibbs/Snelly/Blake years, but Stoops era is the straw that broke the camel's back?
    Its not all on Stoops. But with the economy the worst its ever been and the prices going up because of the continued raises they give the coaching staff that are stuck in cruise control. Yes it just so happen to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

vCash

I saw a tweet from a season ticket holder of 25 years on Friday night after the game say he's not renewing until major changes are made ot the staff. I guess some are, but not sure how many.

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Anticipation and the first half.

I disagree that people buy tickets just for entertainment value, as you define it. You can't just claim that losses aren't entertaining...the freaking away game at Oregon was one of the most entertaining games I have ever attended, but the outcome sure was shitty.

Most people go to show support...this is why there were still 50,000 in the stands when we were so shitty.
    So just so I understand, you found the Boise St. game entertaining despite the loss? You crazy!

vCash

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    So just so I understand, you found the Boise St. game entertaining despite the loss? You crazy!
    Hell yes!!!

One of the greatest comebacks I have ever witnessed.

The last minute....farg.
    2 users like SpankyNek's post: BoomerDT, sooner59

vCash

Originally Posted by SoonerDan74012 View Post
    I saw a tweet from a season ticket holder of 25 years on Friday night after the game say he's not renewing until major changes are made ot the staff. I guess some are, but not sure how many.
    There be will a few that say that now, but some of them will have a change of heart once renewal time comes.

But in many cases its times like these, it’s the people who give up their season tickets who have been sitting on their hands, leaving early and **** the loudest…. There leaving often improves the atmosphere. So it’s not all bad.
    Who I feel bad for is the old person who no longer has the heath to attend or has been priced out attending.
    The following users like this post: oudidntknow84

vCash

I said this in another thread, but I won't likely be traveling anymore. I live out of state and it's expensive as hell to go to OU games. I'm a die-hard. I graduated from OU, as did my father. I love the school and the program as much as just about anything, but I can't justify the travel for this product. I know we can be better and should be better, but until the athletic department, including Stoops, proves to me they are aware of changes that need to be made, I can't justify the expense.

I don't like it one bit, but it is what it is. I was going to travel to Notre Dame, but that isn't likely. I doubt I'll be going to Dallas either.

Even though I am but 1 person (I'm sure there are many), this will catch up. People will buy fewer shirts, flags and stuff as well. It will eventually catch up to the program, so I just hope that the smart businessman that Castiglione is realizes it's time to nip this in the bud now rather than wait.

Like it or not, the program depends on bandwagon fans and when they stop buying licensed products and they stop creating competition for tickets, the program is going to suffer.

(i am NOT a bandwagon fan)
    2 users like deadserious's post: BoomerDT, oudidntknow84

vCash

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    Pretty much always a bad investment unless you get OU/tx to sell.

Sure I will. I piss more money away on hookers and drugs during the first few months of the year. Might as well talk shit to college girls with purpose
    The following users like this post: jvrat

I'm considering it and I don't even have any.

vCash

Originally Posted by deadserious View Post
    I said this in another thread, but I won't likely be traveling anymore. I live out of state and it's expensive as hell to go to OU games. I'm a die-hard. I graduated from OU, as did my father. I love the school and the program as much as just about anything, but I can't justify the travel for this product. I know we can be better and should be better, but until the athletic department, including Stoops, proves to me they are aware of changes that need to be made, I can't justify the expense.

I don't like it one bit, but it is what it is. I was going to travel to Notre Dame, but that isn't likely. I doubt I'll be going to Dallas either.

Even though I am but 1 person (I'm sure there are many), this will catch up. People will buy fewer shirts, flags and stuff as well. It will eventually catch up to the program, so I just hope that the smart businessman that Castiglione is realizes it's time to nip this in the bud now rather than wait.

Like it or not, the program depends on bandwagon fans and when they stop buying licensed products and they stop creating competition for tickets, the program is going to suffer.

The actions of a band wagon fan are to jump off and on as the team’s fortunes rise and fall.

You’re withdrawal of support “for this product” represents the actions of a bandwagon fan.

I love ou football

vCash

Yeah I'm considering it... Living in DC I don't make many games. Really only kept them to this point because I'd go to OU/UT every year, have the options to attend any game, and sell the rest of the games to break even (I don't break even anymore.....). My other theory to keep them was to be able to get bowl tickets at face value... however.... seeing OU never shows up at bowl games..... and the prices of bowl games today are getting a bit too pricy.... I don't go, never worth it. Last one I went to was OU/FL championship game.

So we'll see.... I'm in for this year, probably won't go to OU/UT in 2013. Only in it for road game to ND......Nothing good is at home this year. after this, it might be over.

vCash

HELL NO ... they just started selling beer in my section.

vCash

Amen. I'm in the same boat as you.

vCash

When did OU start selling beer in stadium? If that's true I'll never go back to Norman.

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    HELL NO ... they just started selling beer in my section.

So, four paragraphs about how you're going to stop going to OU games because the team isn't as good anymore. But you're NOT a bandwagon fan?

You and everyone else have the right to do whatever you want. Just don't pretend you're not the definition of a bandwagon fan.
    2 users like Mahler's post: OU48A, Salt City Sooner

vCash

Originally Posted by Mahler View Post
    So, four paragraphs about how you're going to stop going to OU games because the team isn't as good anymore. But you're NOT a bandwagon fan?

You and everyone else have the right to do whatever you want. Just don't pretend you're not the definition of a bandwagon fan.
    He's downgrading from superfan to regular fan. HARDLY a bandwagon fan.

vCash

If you have some and give them up...don't expect them back! There's a hell of a long waiting list for season tix at OU.

vCash

Originally Posted by NortheastOK_Sooner View Post
    If you have some and give them up...don't expect them back! There's a hell of a long waiting list for season tix at OU.
    I've heard rumors that isn't necessarily the case. Also, I know that if I give them up, all I have to do is donate to get them back.

vCash

The actions of a band wagon fan are to jump off and on as the team’s fortunes rise and fall.

You’re withdrawal of support “for this product” represents the actions of a bandwagon fan.
    no. actually, the acts of a bandwagon fan would be to STOP supporting them ... stop watching them ... stop reading about them ... i will do none of those things ... if anything, i should be considered a super fan for traveling literally thousands of miles to come to games ... you that live in norman and OKC have it pretty damned easy in terms of being a fan, so you don't get to call me bandwagon ...

i'm merely saying that i don't think it's worth the investment to travel that far ... i have other things I would like to spend money on, like a wedding and honeymoon ... if the sooners promised more, i would likely find some other things to cut to travel, like skiing or short weekend trips or something, but as it stands, i'm not gonna pay to travel for a shitty ****ing effort from our coaches and athletic department ...

you wouldn't pay to travel to ski if there were no snow or you wouldn't pay to travel to the gulf after an oil spill, would you?
    The following users like this post: nolesooner

vCash

In OU’s current situation I don’t think buying tickets is enabling….. If it’s a bad situation and a change at the top is needed there will be plenty of pressure by those who have very strong influence at OU to make a change.
    In this case I don’t think Stoops has very thick skin, he will leave on his own if things get that bad.
    Bob's coaching and recruiting skills may have slipped some over the years, but he didn't become stupid overnight. Thin skin or not, he will never willingly walk away from a $5M/yr gig unless he's decided he's ready to retire.

No intent here to hijack or misdirect this thread.

vCash

Originally Posted by BoomerDT View Post
    When did OU start selling beer in stadium? If that's true I'll never go back to Norman.
    it's only for certain sections only; 124-134 maybe; i'm in 125. these sections have access to the suites in the back to buy beer and food. it's not bad DT, idiots that can't handle there alcohol will get liquored up at tailgates and act a fool anyhow.

Originally Posted by CitySooner View Post
    No. Regardless of how they play, I love Oklahoma football. If any season ticket holders are giving them up, they are pathetic. I support this team win or lose either way. No matter how much they frustrate me....so no i won't give mine up
    Remarkable generalization. Season ticket holder here for 18 years and maybe given'm up next season for several reasons and none of them has to do with not supporting the team. Not so long ago buying season tickets was a 'wash' financially because we could always sell our OU/TX tickets and pay for our season tickets. StubHub has screwed that up. So, if you can't beat'em join'em, we'll just start getting our tickets from SH for games that we want to attend, I counted two on this year's schedule that I give two shits about. Not being willing to pay for a bad product does not equal not supporting the team. Our schedule next year really sucks. Also, I don't mind not contributing to Stoops' salary (directly or indirectly), I have always had a problem with his last contract extension and still do. Finally, I know I can my season tickets back whenever I want them by making a pretty small donation - the 10,000 strong waiting list is a myth.

Haven't entirely decided I'll let them go and have till end of March to decide.

duplicate

vCash

no. actually, the acts of a bandwagon fan would be to STOP supporting them ... stop watching them ... stop reading about them ... i will do none of those things ... if anything, i should be considered a super fan for traveling literally thousands of miles to come to games ... you that live in norman and OKC have it pretty damned easy in terms of being a fan, so you don't get to call me bandwagon ...

i'm merely saying that i don't think it's worth the investment to travel that far ... i have other things I would like to spend money on, like a wedding and honeymoon ... if the sooners promised more, i would likely find some other things to cut to travel, like skiing or short weekend trips or something, but as it stands, i'm not gonna pay to travel for a shitty ****ing effort from our coaches and athletic department ...

you wouldn't pay to travel to ski if there were no snow or you wouldn't pay to travel to the gulf after an oil spill, would you?
    The fact that you consider this an investment in its self makes you a pretty big bandwagon fan.
    I lived out of state for 6 years of my 34 years, sometimes diving in blizzards and floods and at 55 MPH. Flying wasn’t an option, and the product was far worse.
    Now the Gulf oil spill, I wouldn’t have minded seeing that.